Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

pig slut lisa posted:

Looks like I'll be ditching mine unless they improve the retention offers.

Ditto, I don't use Uber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Does an airline fee have to truely be a fee? Or can it be inflight booze?

Cause that would make the math for me to get it to obtain 2 years of hotel status for $50 bucks net. I'll use inflight booze and Uber credits, no problem.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

FunOne posted:

Does an airline fee have to truely be a fee? Or can it be inflight booze?

Cause that would make the math for me to get it to obtain 2 years of hotel status for $50 bucks net. I'll use inflight booze and Uber credits, no problem.

You can actually buy airline gift cards and use them for airfare. Just make sure to purchase in denominations of $100 or less.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

pig slut lisa posted:

You can actually buy airline gift cards and use them for airfare. Just make sure to purchase in denominations of $100 or less.

I thought they had closed that loophole?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Flyertalk has a lot of specific information for each airline partner. I was able to get $200 in delta gift cards reimbursed but had to order in $50 denominations. I think you can get United by using their gift registry feature and gifting yourself travel credit.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Can confirm I used the United gift registry to get reimbursed for a $100 charge on my gold card in February.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

FunOne posted:

I thought they had closed that loophole?

They closed buying Amazon gift cards. Buying airline gift cards is still available.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Is there a recommended airline gift card to buy?

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

Is there a recommended airline gift card to buy?

If you mean which one has the highest resale value, I'd check the gift card reselling sites or eBay .

I've sold delta ones without issue in the past on both (you have to promise to mail the code on eBay now however)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

DeceasedHorse posted:

If you mean which one has the highest resale value, I'd check the gift card reselling sites or eBay .

I've sold delta ones without issue in the past on both (you have to promise to mail the code on eBay now however)

Is there a decent/non-scam place to buy Delta gift cards?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I just got an email from Amex detailing all the benefit updates and fee increase, basically confirms everything except making the card actually metal. I want a metal card dammit. Also you can add unlimited, no-fee Amex Golds to your account, for...friends and family, I guess?

I'm military so the fee is waived anyway :toot:

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Is there a decent/non-scam place to buy Delta gift cards?

Delta sells them directly, but if you mean discounted ones I've bought and sold successfully to cardpool and raise without any issues, and both require the seller to provide a credit card number in case the sale goes south.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Small White Dragon posted:

For all you Amex Plat users, they are apparently upping the annual fee to $550, adding a $15 monthly Uber credit, adding 5x category for FHR and amextravel.com hotel bookings, and making the card metal.

The Uber credit doesn't even roll over per month. Try again Amex.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
CSR question: I booked a tour package that cost ~10k USD using my CSR. About 2k USD of that was hotel reservations, but the payment was all made up front, and to a tour company. Can I push Chase to recognize some/all of this as "travel"?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Probably not, but just go to Expedia and book a fully refundable hotel room and cancel it after it posts. The refund will hit but the travel credit will stay.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I'm fairly new to trying to maximize on my credit cards since before I just had a student card from Wells Fargo and then I got a card with a great balance transfer perk to pay that off. Now I have no credit card balances and I was looking to get a good travel/rewards card.

So, I applied for a Chase Sapphire Reserve online on Friday and it came back "pending." I spoke to reconsiderations today because I realized I put my salary in incorrectly (forgot about my annual bonus) and was told as the rep was updating my info that the application was denied by the Verifications team. He gave me their number to call on Monday since they aren't open on weekends to give them the new info and/or find out why it was denied. But, I just found out about the in-branch sign up offer. Should I still call verifications tomorrow or should I try to go to a branch to see what's up with my status?

If it helps, below are my stats:

FICO: 710 (according to Citi) or 740 (according to Wells Fargo) (they were calculated 4 days apart if that matters)
Utilization (including one of my parents' credit cards of which I'm an authorized user): 35% earlier this month but is now 23% (probably not reflected when they pulled)
Utilization (just my cards): was 21% earlier this month but would now be < 1% (probably not reflected when they pulled)
Income: $97.5K

Do I have a chance of getting this reversed and/or not missing out on the in-branch offer if I already started this online?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

The Mantis posted:

CSR question: I booked a tour package that cost ~10k USD using my CSR. About 2k USD of that was hotel reservations, but the payment was all made up front, and to a tour company. Can I push Chase to recognize some/all of this as "travel"?

It will depend on how Visa codes the tour company. My coworkers used his Reserve for everything associated with his wedding and had just about everything coded as travel because it all was paid through his wedding organizer.

A tour company I would expect to code as travel, but I don't think you have a good chance of convincing Chase to switch it if it doesn't.

Chaotic Flame posted:

I'm fairly new to trying to maximize on my credit cards since before I just had a student card from Wells Fargo and then I got a card with a great balance transfer perk to pay that off. Now I have no credit card balances and I was looking to get a good travel/rewards card.

So, I applied for a Chase Sapphire Reserve online on Friday and it came back "pending." I spoke to reconsiderations today because I realized I put my salary in incorrectly (forgot about my annual bonus) and was told as the rep was updating my info that the application was denied by the Verifications team. He gave me their number to call on Monday since they aren't open on weekends to give them the new info and/or find out why it was denied. But, I just found out about the in-branch sign up offer. Should I still call verifications tomorrow or should I try to go to a branch to see what's up with my status?

FICO: 710 (according to Citi) or 740 (according to Wells Fargo) (they were calculated 4 days apart if that matters)
Utilization (including one of my parents' credit cards of which I'm an authorized user): 35% earlier this month but is now 23% (probably not reflected when they pulled)
Utilization (just my cards): was 21% earlier this month but would now be < 1% (probably not reflected when they pulled)

Do I have a chance of getting this reversed and/or not missing out on the in-branch offer if I already started this online?
I'm not sure but I think you're out of luck. I know if you call Chase's reconsideration line within 30 days of your application they use the original application with whatever original offer is associated with it.

I'm not sure what will happen if you go into a branch and try to apply again. It might open a second application or they might see you already have a current application for that card .

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Chaotic Flame posted:

If you live close to a branch, I'd say go in there and see if you can have a banker (the sit-down kind, not the tellers) call in on your behalf and get your bonus switched to the in-branch one. Bit of a hassle, but worth it if you can get that extra bonus without having to take an extra hard pull on your credit.

They might also be able to help sort out that verification issue - if it's just identity/address verification, I'd recommend bringing your ID and a utility bill that shows your name and current address. They can attach that stuff to your account instead of the huge ordeal of having to email/fax/etc it in and waiting for someone to tie it to your account.

astral fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 5, 2017

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Plus I think you can get the 100k bonus in branch rather than online. Go to a branch

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Sounds like I should go to a branch. There's one right next to my job, so I'll pop in tomorrow before work and see what happens.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

TraderStav posted:

Plus I think you can get the 100k bonus in branch rather than online. Go to a branch

:siren:Last week to get that 100k bonus too. It ends March 12:siren:

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Is there any hope of getting it in person if you failed online?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The new Amazon Prime cards are using the same metal design as the CSP, just in a grey/black color.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Rated PG-34 posted:

Is there any hope of getting it in person if you failed online?

How long ago was your online application? If it was several months ago and your profile has only improved, then maybe you have a better shot now. If it was just a month ago, probably not.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

pig slut lisa posted:

How long ago was your online application? If it was several months ago and your profile has only improved, then maybe you have a better shot now. If it was just a month ago, probably not.

Turns out verifications hadn't "declined" my application, it was on hold so they could speak with me about a few things. I was approved over the phone once I called them. Still going to drop into a branch at lunch to see if I can get the bonus switched from the online to the in-branch one. We'll see how that goes.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Bentai posted:

The new Amazon Prime cards are using the same metal design as the CSP, just in a grey/black color.

Yeah it's a pretty sharp card.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Surprised it took so long to trickle down to free cards. How much can a metal card cost them to produce?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Chaotic Flame posted:

Turns out verifications hadn't "declined" my application, it was on hold so they could speak with me about a few things. I was approved over the phone once I called them. Still going to drop into a branch at lunch to see if I can get the bonus switched from the online to the in-branch one. We'll see how that goes.

Good to hear. Let us know how that goes.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

pig slut lisa posted:

Good to hear. Let us know how that goes.

Not well. Apparently there are strict guidelines to not do that.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Got approved for the Reserve today in branch despite being at exactly 5/24, was expecting to be denied initially but able to call their reconsideration line in April.

They pulled Experian for me which is the one credit bureau which was reporting my 5th card as 3/1/2015, the others two reported it the actual day I opened it which was late in the month. :toot:

Also one small note just in case anyone was planning on going in at the last possible moment, the last day to apply in Branch for 100k is the 11th, the 12th is a Sunday and even if you could find a branch open the offer will be 50k.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Girlfriend and I both signed up for the CSR yesterday to get the 100k bonus, pretty excited. 190's a week long Maui vacation with airfare for two :v:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I had planned on dumping the CSR before the 2nd annual fee but it turns out I spend a lot on dining so with the $300 travel credit it's probably worth keeping, even though I don't travel a ton.

edit: I did cancel my Amex Plat yesterday. The retention agent: "Do you have the Chase Reserve? Yeah, we're hearing that a lot".

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
Anyone know much about the southwest card? Specifically, do points earned with the card from just regular spend count towards your status/companion pass? The website is sort of murky on this detail, though it is clear the sign up bonus DOES count. Had to take a bunch of work trips with them this year and just realized I'll be at companion pass with the signup bonus+ minimum spend. They are pretty weird with points sometimes which is why I'm asking, for example this Jan I got a double points bonus on business select tickets, but the extra points didn't count towards status.

Also some extra salt in the wound from the dead Sallie mae card... I used my remaining credit to pay off my balance to be done with the card. Well it turns out credit doesn't count as a payment, so even though my statement balance was zero'd I got a late fee. Some real poo poo right there. They waived the fee after some discussion on the phone, but I'm wondering if it will count as a late payment or not.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Are there any problems with this plan (assuming there is enough availability)?:

8 people get Chase Hyatt credit cards (signup bonus 2 free nights at any Hyatt).
We each book a double queen bed room at one of the super high end Hyatts, for 2 nights over 2 sets of consecutive days.
We all stay 4 nights for free, or more if we put more people per room.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 7, 2017

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Elysium posted:

Are there any problems with this plan (assuming there is enough availability)?:

8 people get Chase Hyatt credit cards (signup bonus 2 free nights at any Hyatt).
We each book a double queen bed room at one of the super high end Hyatts, for 2 nights over 2 sets of consecutive days.
We all stay 4 nights for free, or more if we put more people per room.

Some high end (looking at the andaz maui) wont have availability to book 4 rooms at the same time (and again back to back) under the free night deal. Actually it might be just the andaz maui. I'd go ahead and be straight up with customer support and ask if they can help you do the 8 bookings at once, instead of trying to do eight different calls and the plan falling apart on the last one.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Baddog posted:

Some high end (looking at the andaz maui) wont have availability to book 4 rooms at the same time (and again back to back) under the free night deal. Actually it might be just the andaz maui. I'd go ahead and be straight up with customer support and ask if they can help you do the 8 bookings at once, instead of trying to do eight different calls and the plan falling apart on the last one.

It would only be booking 2 rooms per night, he wants to sleep 4 people in each of the rooms. My man, why would you do that to yourself on a nice vacation? Do you not "kick it" with your s/o on vacation?

edit: nevermind, I think I misunderstood, but if it's just two of you why don't you do this with just one room for 4 days?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I assume availability might be a problem, but other than that, it should work in theory right? Even if they won't (or can't) book us into the exact same rooms for 4 straight nights, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to switch rooms after 2 days.

You're right, I don't see availability at the Andaz Maui for some random dates I picked, but the same dates had availability at the Grand Hyatt in Kauai.

quote:

It would only be booking 2 rooms per night, he wants to sleep 4 people in each of the rooms. My man, why would you do that to yourself on a nice vacation? Do you not "kick it" with your s/o on vacation?

The number of people in this example is made up, so I didn't try to work it out too hard to how many people per room and number of rooms, but anyway, the point is it would be part of a group trip, where there are a few couples, yes, but also several singles. Doing something like this would be as an alternative to renting an entire house (VRBO or Airbnb) which would obviously have it's own advantages (and disadvantages - I consider not having a lazy river and a saltwater lagoon to be a disadvantage). Typically we rent a house and it's not unusual for 2 single dudes or 2 ladies to share a bed in a room, or even for people to sleep on a couch or daybed.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 7, 2017

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Thufir posted:

I had planned on dumping the CSR before the 2nd annual fee but it turns out I spend a lot on dining so with the $300 travel credit it's probably worth keeping, even though I don't travel a ton.

edit: I did cancel my Amex Plat yesterday. The retention agent: "Do you have the Chase Reserve? Yeah, we're hearing that a lot".

Did they make any retention offers before you cancelled?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

pig slut lisa posted:

Did they make any retention offers before you cancelled?

They offered 25k points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Is Citi Double Cash still the best cash back card for people who don't travel a ton? Just looking for the best cash back card, not a huge fan of revolving categories