Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

DizzyBum posted:

Holy poo poo, Round 1 opens in two days. I'll be checking it out in three. Nerd hype is building. :getin:

I cannot even fathom what the lines would be like at a newly opened R1, but good luck!

Thankfully DDR is the only thing that really gets ganged up on in Southcenter from what I've seen, but there are a few diehard SVDX people that occasionally show up. Pop'n is almost always free, and there's usually at least one free IIDX machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Code Jockey posted:

I cannot even fathom what the lines would be like at a newly opened R1, but good luck!

Thankfully DDR is the only thing that really gets ganged up on in Southcenter from what I've seen, but there are a few diehard SVDX people that occasionally show up. Pop'n is almost always free, and there's usually at least one free IIDX machine.

I'm the sdvx people

ebacho
Oct 26, 2010

Dryzen posted:

I'm the sdvx people

same

Actually though there's almost always a line for SDVX at my R1, usually at least 5 people deep.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

I'm planning to hog IIDX and Drummania for the most part, so hopefully I won't have to wait long. Two IIDX machines should help.

We're lucky enough to have two D&Bs with DDR A in the area so I won't mind if the line for that is too long.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

by astral
I'm the one without a R1

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dryzen posted:

I'm the sdvx people

That means you're good people. :respek:

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Code Jockey posted:

That means you're good people. :respek:

Indeed, the fewer people crowding Drummania, the better :drum:

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

MajorMarcus posted:

Indeed, the fewer people crowding Drummania, the better :drum:

You got that right. How else will I get better? :v:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Everyone will be playing Theatrhythm AC!

Takoluka fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 2, 2017

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Takoluka posted:

Everyone will be playing Theatrhythm AC!

Theatrhythm is so good

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

In 24 hours, I will be playing Sinobuz. Gettin' hype.

I forget, is there anyone else in this thread in the Atlanta area?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

DizzyBum posted:

In 24 hours, I will be playing Sinobuz. Gettin' hype.

I forget, is there anyone else in this thread in the Atlanta area?

Yes. I would still like to sell off my dj dao real edition with limited edition cat claw scratches in the leather

Oh my god I just saw pictures of Round One and it's gonna be hype as gently caress tonight

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Speaking of Round One has anyone here been to the one in Taunton? I've been wanting to check out new IIDX and try SDVX and bowling is a plus since I can actually convince my friends to go, but someone was ranting on Facebook about how they suck and their machines are in terrible condition and they don't do any maintenance at all. I'm not sure how seriously I should take him though because he's apparently friends with one of the GU guys and seems to have a weird grudge against Round One. Maybe there's some rivalry or drama thing happening I dunno but either way I feel like he might be exaggerating a tad.

ebacho
Oct 26, 2010

garfield hentai posted:

Speaking of Round One has anyone here been to the one in Taunton? I've been wanting to check out new IIDX and try SDVX and bowling is a plus since I can actually convince my friends to go, but someone was ranting on Facebook about how they suck and their machines are in terrible condition and they don't do any maintenance at all. I'm not sure how seriously I should take him though because he's apparently friends with one of the GU guys and seems to have a weird grudge against Round One. Maybe there's some rivalry or drama thing happening I dunno but either way I feel like he might be exaggerating a tad.

I've been there once - anecdotally, the machines were in decent condition when I was there (around August of last year). I'm pretty bad at IIDX but I was able to clear everything I usually could, and when a FX button went out on SDVX it was fixed in a couple hours. For other rhythm games, the headphone jacks on Crossbeats actually worked, which was amazing to me since the ones at my local R1 have been broken since launch.

That said, it's been a long time since I've gone there so it could be very different now. I'd trust your friend especially if he's been there recently.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

garfield hentai posted:

I can assure you the GU people are petty. Don't trust their judgement as they really just want people to go to their arcade instead. As far as I know the machines I play at R1 Taunton are all in fine shape. Primarily I play IIDX & popn so I can only really speak for those machines. One of the iidx machines had a cracked key for a little while but they've since fixed it. I last went a few weeks ago & had a great time.

A lot of the core New England community got butthurt that they didn't just all immediately get arcade tech positions at R1 because they felt entitled or something. :shrug:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Just got home from a few hours at Round 1. That place is insane! I can't believe all the poo poo they have there.

I forgot how good the IIDX arcade controllers feel. You barely have to touch the keys to get them to go down. I'm gonna have to make some adjustments to my Dao today.

Next time I have to remember to buy a Disney tsumtsum. And I need to remember my headphones, and possibly get some earplugs... holy cow, it gets so noisy in there and it really sneaks up on you.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

If I were an idely wealthy madman I would open a music-rhythm/barcade/pinball place in a hip neighborhood. It would be bonkers loud.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

djfooboo posted:

If I were an idely wealthy madman I would open a music-rhythm/barcade/pinball place in a hip neighborhood. It would be bonkers loud.

Same. If I ever won the lottery I'd just buy a bunch of cabinets and open an arcade.

Pinball is the only thing Round 1 is missing. If they had a couple good tables I'd probably never leave.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

DizzyBum posted:

Same. If I ever won the lottery I'd just buy a bunch of cabinets and open an arcade.

Pinball is the only thing Round 1 is missing. If they had a couple good tables I'd probably never leave.

This. The world needs more pinball, drat it.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
help I need to find more wall space since I got poster frames

my IIDXRED poster is already up since it's my favorite style but I might have to pick favorites among the rest (aka not SPADA). not pictured: Empress, RA, Pendual

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
what do you guys use for a stand for your controllers? my lovely keyboard stand wobbles from the force of my popn slaps

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Zand posted:

what do you guys use for a stand for your controllers? my lovely keyboard stand wobbles from the force of my popn slaps

If you have the space for it try an IKEA Bekant desk. They're pretty cheap and are adjustable height.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Only Shallow posted:

help I need to find more wall space since I got poster frames

my IIDXRED poster is already up since it's my favorite style but I might have to pick favorites among the rest (aka not SPADA). not pictured: Empress, RA, Pendual

Oh, you should probably just send me a few of those since you're so low on space :wink:

Zand posted:

I don't use a stand. Right now I just play at my computer desk.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Only Shallow posted:

If you have the space for it try an IKEA Bekant desk. They're pretty cheap and are adjustable height.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19022530/ :gonk:

edit: oh http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79006358/ this is a lil too much imo for a stand but maybe if its sturdy its worth

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

SDVX is pretty cool and I think I might get an SVSE5 + copal encoders from Dao's US supply, just to have a new game to practice. But I'm moving again in a couple months since our landlord is selling their place, so I'll probably have to hold off for now. :(

e: I should also break out my modded fightstick and get some practice in with Raiden IV. I want to put up some killer high scores.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 6, 2017

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

DizzyBum posted:

And I need to remember my headphones, and possibly get some earplugs... holy cow, it gets so noisy in there and it really sneaks up on you.

Acoustic filters! These things really helped my fatigue of being in super noisy places like R1, and I can play longer without getting headaches.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

kimcicle posted:

Acoustic filters! These things really helped my fatigue of being in super noisy places like R1, and I can play longer without getting headaches.

Yeah, might not be a bad idea. Any recommendations for good ones?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I use dubs (https://www.getdubs.com) at the recommendation of another friend and they work good enough for me. :10bux::10bux::10bux: They can be a bit tricky to get positioned correctly the first time so try them out at home first in front of a mirror.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

kimcicle posted:

I use dubs (https://www.getdubs.com) at the recommendation of another friend and they work good enough for me. :10bux::10bux::10bux: They can be a bit tricky to get positioned correctly the first time so try them out at home first in front of a mirror.

Thanks! They look kinda nice, too.

Man, I wish I'd had a pair of those when I was doing heavy data center work. That loud, constant white noise is hell.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
I don't want to sound like a shill, but hearing protection is a touchy subject for me. The reviews I'm reading about Dubs lead me to believe that they're (1) not filtering enough noise and (2) poorly constructed. I've tested a fair amount of consumer grade earplugs, and I've settled on EarPeace. They come with two sets of filters for different levels of hearing protection, and they don't make you look like a tool.

When I can, I use a decent pair of closed-back headphones for playing at the arcade. However, if you want to use the built-in headphone jacks in games like SDVX (and Museca, I think?), high-impedance headphones won't be detected by the game when you plug them in. However, they will work if you use them with a cheap headphone splitter.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

MajorMarcus posted:

I don't want to sound like a shill, but hearing protection is a touchy subject for me. The reviews I'm reading about Dubs lead me to believe that they're (1) not filtering enough noise and (2) poorly constructed. I've tested a fair amount of consumer grade earplugs, and I've settled on EarPeace. They come with two sets of filters for different levels of hearing protection, and they don't make you look like a tool.

When I can, I use a decent pair of closed-back headphones for playing at the arcade. However, if you want to use the built-in headphone jacks in games like SDVX (and Museca, I think?), high-impedance headphones won't be detected by the game when you plug them in. However, they will work if you use them with a cheap headphone splitter.

Thanks for this. I know next to nothing about this sort of subject aside from "need to make noise less". I'll take whatever good info I can.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
Thinking about making a pilgrimage to Arlington, TX to check out Round 1 there - that place has Bemani machines, right?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

DizzyBum posted:

Thanks for this. I know next to nothing about this sort of subject aside from "need to make noise less". I'll take whatever good info I can.

Likewise, I got the ones my friend suggested without much investigation. I don't go often enough to warrant replacing the ones I have until I lose them or break them, but it's good information to have. I also don't think I 'look like a tool' with them in, so whatever?

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Thinking about making a pilgrimage to Arlington, TX to check out Round 1 there - that place has Bemani machines, right?

They do, but go to Grapevine Mills instead since it's the center of the community :)

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I AM THE TOILET posted:

They sure do:

https://zenius-i-vanisher.com/v5.2/arcade.php?id=3125#games

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Ugh, now I'm wishing I'd made a Japan-region Konami account when I first started playing DDR A. I can't even get the Extra Stage in IIDX without Paseli for Premium Start.

I guess I'll just bite the bullet, get a second eAmusement card, and make a new Japanese account. Then I'll put Paseli on it and only use that one for playing games at Round 1 that aren't DDR A.

Really wish they'd just let non-Japanese users easily buy Paseli, but I guess Konami really does not like taking filthy American money!

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
I made the same mistake when I created my eAmuse account, but you don't have to get another card to fix it.

Create a new Komani ID account with your location in Japan, unlink your eAmuse card from your USA account, and link it to your new JP one. Your scores and data are linked to your card, not the Konami account.

I'll see if I can dig up the details of how to do all that

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Potassium Problems posted:

I made the same mistake when I created my eAmuse account, but you don't have to get another card to fix it.

Create a new Komani ID account with your location in Japan, unlink your eAmuse card from your USA account, and link it to your new JP one. Your scores and data are linked to your card, not the Konami account.

I'll see if I can dig up the details of how to do all that

Oh, seriously? I didn't know that. I assumed data stayed with your account, not the card. Yeah, thanks!

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Arlington resident here. I haven't been to the Arlington location in a couple of months, but unless there have been sweeping changes to it, you owe it to yourself to go to the Grapevine location instead. I live within a ten minute drive of the Arlington site, but given my last experiences I happily take the near half-hour drive to go to Grapevine instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

DizzyBum posted:

I can't even get the Extra Stage in IIDX without Paseli for Premium Start.

The machines have to have Paseli enabled in order for Premium Start to work, and all of the US R1's have Paseli disabled. Even if you have Paseli on your eAmuse account, you can't get extra stage/Premium Start.