Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

CloFan posted:

I should have bought an Ecobee when they were on sale in Nov/Dec, but I figured they would continue to go on sale for every BS holiday like president's day. I refuse to buy at msrp since I know it will go down to $200 any day now!

e: For camerachat, I have one of these in my carport: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019INEPGO/ It works pretty good I suppose. Hooked up to an old analog DVR that uses a 3.5" IDE hard drive to record :stare:

Go to eBay and get a 10% Lowe's coupon for 99¢ and get it for $220. Better yet also use Ebates and save another five or ten bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Nah it really doesn't in our case. Crime is so rare here that police are underfunded and don't do anything. I've had one crappy old bike taken from my parking space in the garage in 10+ years, and we're in an urban area with 11,000 people per square mile.

The camera idea is being pushed by panicky old ladies who watch too much crime drama tv. It's extreme paranoia.

But yeah if this somehow passes I'm sure we'll get the cheapest garbage cameras we can get.

Update: installing cameras was voted down with almost no support.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Woooo, Control4 EA-3 purchased with a SR260 remote.
Now to learn the hell out of this.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

legooolas posted:

From a while back (I only just caught up), but there is a Fibaro z-wave dimmer module which goes inside a light switch box, works without neutral wire and can work with any sort of bulb. You may need a matching "bypass" at the light end for some types of light or if they get annoyed by the small current which has to always pass through the circuit.

http://www.vesternet.com/resources/application-notes/apnt-111

I haven't for any of these personally yet, but have a friend who is refitting an entire house and using these in the switches wherever possible and he has said they are great.
Work with original toggle switches, momentary buttons or rocker switches, with various options as to how (and whether to support dimming or just on/off), but all seems pretty straightforward :)

3-wire light switches basically don't exist in the UK as far as I can tell, as even where friends have bought brand new houses the switches are all still 2-wire with no neutral. So this is about the only option here for smart switches rather than smart bulbs.

I'll have to look into this.

Does anyone know why the GE 45606 is no longer sold? It's the only Z-wave dimmer switch that doesn't require neutral that I could find but appears to be out of production. I feel like I'm missing something as this seems to be something lots of people want/need given the portion of houses out there without neutral wiring.

edit - guess there's this one too, although it's pretty ugly looking.

edit again - From reading up more, it seems to be the fact that the GE (and the Cooper linked above) only work with incandescent bulbs. This wouldn't be a big deal for me, but apparently that also comes with the potential of a buzzing sound at low light outputs.

Might just have to wait to see what the Lutron integration on SmartThings looks like once it's released. It's going to be cloud-to-cloud so I'm curious what the delays will be like.

dphi fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 28, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I guess SmartThings depends on S3.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Subjunctive posted:

I guess SmartThings depends on S3.

lol yeah.

This is why I still haven't jumped on the SmartThings bandwagon. I mean, it's got lots going for it but for me the cloud-required aspect is just so disappointing.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Meh, lots of stuff relies on S3. I'd rather they use AWS than try to run their own servers. Automations still work, it's just that you can't change settings or use Alexa with it. Shame though, I just got some GE switches delivered today :(

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Thermopyle posted:

lol yeah.

This is why I still haven't jumped on the SmartThings bandwagon. I mean, it's got lots going for it but for me the cloud-required aspect is just so disappointing.

I'm Wink and still not sold on them but the Wink 2 does work without the cloud so that's something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SmartThings works without the cloud within the house, it's just things like Echo integrations that need their cloud services.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Looking to automate something in SmartThings and I. Wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I have some GE z-wave dimmers, and I want to make it so they always go to fill brightness when turned on. Failing that, I would at least like to reset the light levels to 100% without turning them on overnight while I'm sleeping.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I haven't written one, but I think you'll want a custom device handler.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

w00tmonger posted:

Looking to automate something in SmartThings and I. Wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I have some GE z-wave dimmers, and I want to make it so they always go to fill brightness when turned on. Failing that, I would at least like to reset the light levels to 100% without turning them on overnight while I'm sleeping.

Easy basic Core Piston.

If <light bulb> changes to on
Then set level (advanced) to 100 while the switch is on

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

What exactly is a core piston

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

w00tmonger posted:

What exactly is a core piston

Core.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Violator posted:

Anybody have any issues with iOS10 Home app and automations not triggering? My "Turn everything off in the middle of the night" and "turn lights on at sunset" isn't working, but if I trigger anything manually it's all super fast.

This seems like it has been working more consistently lately. Apparently Apple just updated their iOS Home page with a bunch of new marketing material and TV ads so hopefully it's the start of a big push for the software. I'm hoping for a bunch of upgrades with iOS11 since it seems like home automation is one of those whiz bang features they can make a big deal about.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fading lights would be awesome. Choosing motion sensor triggers would also be nice (to turn off lights when a room switches to unoccupied).

Oh and temperature control on lights cmon that's basic poo poo, Apple. It's kinda annoying I have to use a separate app to tweak the finer settings of a scene. And speaking of scenes, better scene management because unless I'm missing something obvious you actually can't see all the scenes you have on the home app itself.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 3, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anyone have a Dyson robot vacuum? Mine has been offline for a couple of weeks, and I'm wondering if there are any reset tricks I should try before wading through support.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh and temperature control on lights cmon that's basic poo poo, Apple.
It's not the best control in the world, but have you long-pressed the icon for a bulb?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It's not the best control in the world, but have you long-pressed the icon for a bulb?

Right that let's me slide the lights to dim/brighten them. I'm talking about the temperature warmth (specifically for the Hue white ambiance bulbs). The Hue app lets me control them there and I use the Elgato Eve app to change the temperature on each scene but Homekit itself doesn't have controls for it. It has color controls for the full color bulbs but white ambiance is just not there

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
On my iPad when you long press a bulb icon, there's a button on the bottom left labeled Color. If you tap that, then tap the Edit button that shows on the color wheel, you get two "tabs" labeled Color and Temperature.

It's a lot of clicks, and it sucks, but the capability is there.

I have color bulbs active, though. Might be different with the Ambience ones.

Violator
May 15, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I have color bulbs active, though. Might be different with the Ambience ones.

Yeah, the Ambience ones don't have the color option for some reason.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Probably HomeKit didn't anticipate color changing bulbs that only allow shades of white.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Odd, but not really unexpected considering HealthKit is also pretty half assed. Glad I just got a $40 Dot before Christmas, I can ignore HomeKit and just be dorky talking to my lights.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I still primarily use the Hue app to control my lights but, that is partly because I had them before HomeKit and also I just am more used to the original (Hue App Classic I think they call it) app. I like HomeKit for automation and making stuff from different manufacturers work together but I think they need some work still on fine tuning lighting.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Just a heads up, but for those with Dahua cameras and recorders, a backdoor was discovered in their firmware. It allows the attacker to be able to download the usernames and password hashes. Apparently Dahua didn't salt the password hashes and the proof of concept produces a working password fairly quickly in most cases.

http://us.dahuasecurity.com/en/us/Security-Bulletin_030617.php

Right now they are listing ten cameras and recorders. I would expect this to expand to all of them given how they handle their firmware. Also the following companies relabel some or all of their cameras/recorders from Dahua. You'll need to reach out to them to get firmware updates:

Advidia
FLIR / Lorex
Ganz
Honeywell
IC Realtime
Illustra
Indigovision
Q-See
SavvyTech
Speco
Winic

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I run Hiks, but that is the reason I went through and VLAN-ed all my cams recently so they can't see anything but time.microsoft.com and their Blue Iris server.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

I just assume all IoT type of devices have similar security problems...

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

IoT security: a separate vlan for every lightbulb

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

bobfather posted:

I run Hiks, but that is the reason I went through and VLAN-ed all my cams recently so they can't see anything but time.microsoft.com and their Blue Iris server.

I did this too with my Hikvision's and Synology.

Edit: but went a little more extreme, blocked the cameras from talking to anything and only allowed traffic into the network.

The Electronaut fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 7, 2017

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I think it'd go here.
Is there a way to link a google home and a chromecast (current gen) for audio? I'd like to extend the audio zone basically... But I don't see a way to make a scene or anything within the android home app.

This seems like what I want, but I don't get the create group.
https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7174267?hl=en

god drat it; why the gently caress not?
https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6329016?hl=en
Can I add my Chromecast (that casts video) or Android TV to a group?
No, grouping Chromecast (that casts video) or Android TVs is not supported.

deong fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 10, 2017

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

deong posted:

god drat it; why the gently caress not?
Yeah it's annoying. I can cast Spotify to an audio group that includes my Google Home, but the minute I open Spotify on my phone or laptop and change the playlist the Google Home drops out.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's the time of year in Arizona where it's getting warm but the AC won't be on in my apartment until like mid April, so I start looking at ways to turn my portable AC unit on automatically (it has a temp sensor and will go into fan mode after a certain temp, but it needs to be on for that to work and that just seems like a lot of power to use all day).

It appears that the devices are roughly in the same place as last year, which is to say no human being confirming any smart thermometer/sensor is able to trigger a smart plug to do anything via either IFTTT or homekit (and in fact the reviews usually specifically saying that despite whatever the website says, the device doesn't work for anything other than monitoring).

I think probably in truth the better, most energy efficent way to solve this really is to just get a regular smart plug or maybe just like, a regular old outlet timer and set the portable AC to turn on like an hour before work is over, but I figured I'd post in case someone has any experience with the temp sensors.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Rick posted:

It's the time of year in Arizona where it's getting warm but the AC won't be on in my apartment until like mid April, so I start looking at ways to turn my portable AC unit on automatically (it has a temp sensor and will go into fan mode after a certain temp, but it needs to be on for that to work and that just seems like a lot of power to use all day).

It appears that the devices are roughly in the same place as last year, which is to say no human being confirming any smart thermometer/sensor is able to trigger a smart plug to do anything via either IFTTT or homekit (and in fact the reviews usually specifically saying that despite whatever the website says, the device doesn't work for anything other than monitoring).

I think probably in truth the better, most energy efficent way to solve this really is to just get a regular smart plug or maybe just like, a regular old outlet timer and set the portable AC to turn on like an hour before work is over, but I figured I'd post in case someone has any experience with the temp sensors.

Are you on a two pipe system? We run our chiller year around.

As for smart control the Nest can be used as an IFTTT trigger based on temperature but it seems really cost prohibitive if you are just trying to save on energy costs.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I honestly don't know, it just seems standard for aparments I have lived in with "central air" to switch from heat to cold and vice versa at certain times of the year. I'm not even really worried about cost per se, since utilities are included, I just don't want to be a jerk and cool my empty apartment all day (the real only reason for this is the portable AC takes significantly longer to cool than the main AC does when it's on, so I can't just set it to 90 when I'm gone and drop it to 75 when I'm home and expect that transition to happen in a short time).

I would love to put a Nest or some sort of smart thermostat in but it's a fairly old place with the thermostat embedded into the wall in a way I won't be able to replace it without damaging the wall, so I'm stuck with work-arounds.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Rick posted:

Smartthings supports IFTTT...and have the multipurpose sensor that does temp,and the outlet. I know you can use the multipurpose sensor to trigger the outlet if you use it's function as a door sensor, I'd imagine you could do the same with its temp sensor as well.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I'm in need of a wifi security camera.
My garage is not attached, but I think my wifi extends far enough. My area has a lot of break ins for bike theft (gentrified amirite), and I have more money tied up in my bikes than my car. I'd like to get something that can store at least 48hrs so I can keep all weekend.

Also, would it be better to put it inside the garage? I don't really give a poo poo what happens on the outside. The garage only has the roller door. No side door/windows, so its fairly secure that way.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I see Hikvision thrown around a lot in this thread.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

deong posted:

I'm in need of a wifi security camera.
My garage is not attached, but I think my wifi extends far enough. My area has a lot of break ins for bike theft (gentrified amirite), and I have more money tied up in my bikes than my car. I'd like to get something that can store at least 48hrs so I can keep all weekend.

Also, would it be better to put it inside the garage? I don't really give a poo poo what happens on the outside. The garage only has the roller door. No side door/windows, so its fairly secure that way.

I ignored a bunch of good advice from respected people in this thread and got a couple foscam fi9900p Cameras.

The were about $150 Canadian to my door and I'm really happy with them. They put the indoor nestcam I got for Christmas to shame.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
These leviton light z-wave switches. How the gently caress do I put them in pairing mode ? I got 2 of them to pair with SmartThings but purely by accident. The I structures say to look online for pairing procedure. SmartThings page literally says "push the button" which is wrong. It's a combination of using the top "air gap" button plus the normal switch button, but I can't tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jonathan posted:

These leviton light z-wave switches. How the gently caress do I put them in pairing mode ? I got 2 of them to pair with SmartThings but purely by accident. The I structures say to look online for pairing procedure. SmartThings page literally says "push the button" which is wrong. It's a combination of using the top "air gap" button plus the normal switch button, but I can't tell.

With my Z-wave switches I had to put the hub into exclusion mode via the app, then press the switch until the app said that something was excluded. It then paired.