Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rory went for a few Imanari rolls. That was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Bisping did Japanese jiu jitsu as a child iirc, which is like a UFC 1-3 "martial art" which is to say entirely taught and studied by fat old men trying to show off to children, or children

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Bisping did Japanese jiu jitsu as a child iirc, which is like a UFC 1-3 "martial art" which is to say entirely taught and studied by fat old men trying to show off to children, or children

Ah, his wiki entry didn't make that clear.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've met several people who study JJJ and they're universally goobers, with the exception of my Chinese friend from Judo who is like "yeah, in JJJ we get side control and then we crush your testicles with a twisting motion. Works really well, but not good for tournament."

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
For the moment Bisping would win because Eddie's spine doesn't work.

I've been thinking lately that I'd enjoy MMA a lot more if the only division was men's 155 (WEC never die). Possibly women's 125.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think Eddie said fairly recently that his back was in a much better place than it once was.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
You know a martial art is fake rear end garbage for idiots when they have secret forbidden ball locks.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
my JJJ experience is this one time I was rolling with a buddy who trained it and he tied me up in a crucifix, so I just relaxed and put all my weight on him and then he tapped because he couldn't breathe :kiddo:

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
If you're gonna cheat you don't also need to brag about it after

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Eddie Bravo would tie Bisping in knots I don't know why this is remotely controversial.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Eddie Bravo has an extremely bad back right now and the only working out he can do is yoga, also apparently he can only do 30 minutes of yoga.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Hmm wonder who'd win, the retired 50 year old classroom demonstration skeleton or the current UFC middleweight champion

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Mike Bisping would beat Eddie bravo via the same method he's won like his last 4 fights: by remaining in the same place while everything around him gets vastly worse.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I.N.R.I posted:

it wasnt very memorable. it was basically a point fight

That's probably why I don't remember it

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Hmm wonder who'd win, the retired 50 year old classroom demonstration skeleton or the current UFC middleweight champion

Lol yeah

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I understand that Bisping has done a lot of jiu jitsu in his day. But go watch Eddie vs Royler and then tell me you think someone who isn't a legit BJJ world champion has a chance.

Anyways, I'm excited for Vitor vs Eator

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I just think both the Woodley fights severely exposed Thompson. Both showed putting even a little bit of pressure on him can open up big ol power shots to his chin a high percentage of the time. Especially when you can get him to the cage.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Thompson seems to like to fight with his chin up and basically never moving his head off the center line

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

JaySB posted:

I understand that Bisping has done a lot of jiu jitsu in his day. But go watch Eddie vs Royler and then tell me you think someone who isn't a legit BJJ world champion has a chance.

1)eddie's back does not work, he had surgery last year
2)eddie as a result would not be able to take him down
3)bisping would punch him in the face

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

1st AD posted:

I dont think anyone realistically thinks Bravo would fare well in an MMA fight against anyone. In a pure grappling scenario I think Bravo wins 100% of the time.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Mr. Nice! posted:

I dont think anyone realistically thinks Bravo would fare well in an MMA fight against anyone. In a pure grappling scenario I think Bravo wins 100% of the time.

I don't know, man, Bisping took the last man to submit Brian Stann to a draw in a grappling match so exciting it rivals the ufc welterweight title picture

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

1st AD posted:

I thought it was assumed we were talking sub grappling because otherwise Eddie's spine could be titanium fused into a wrestling specific billion dollar robotic exosuit that shot doubles for him and he'd still never take bisping down

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bluedeanie posted:

I don't know, man, Bisping took the last man to submit Brian Stann to a draw in a grappling match so exciting it rivals the ufc welterweight title picture

I think being completely unable to do anything with Chael in a submission grappling match bodes well for Bisping's chances in a with Bravo as we know Sonnen is impossible to submit.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

1st AD posted:

This has been a discussion about a submission grappling match...

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I agree that the 63 year old mummy who can't bend at the waist without screaming would probably defeat a healthy man who knows that jui jit su exists, in a grappling contest. I also agree that the name "tenth planet juijitsu" makes sense now that we have 8 planets only. Furthermore, the rubber guard is actually good.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
does anyone remember Edson Barboza's UFC debut versus a guy whose only credential was "10th planet black belt" and how confused and agitated Joe Rogan was throughout?

https://www.ufc.tv/video/edson-barboza-vs-mike-lullo-ufc-123

Fat Twitter Man fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 7, 2017

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
But he's a black belt and 10 years ago when he was only 43 he beat Royler Gracie

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Work Friend Keven posted:

I agree that the 63 year old mummy who can't bend at the waist without screaming would probably defeat a healthy man who knows that jui jit su exists, in a grappling contest. I also agree that the name "tenth planet juijitsu" makes sense now that we have 8 planets only. Furthermore, the rubber guard is actually good.

can you even imagine the costs associated with printing '9th planet and a plutoid Jiu-Jitsu' on that many board shorts and bong stencils

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Crazy that Eddie bravo correctly predicted 9/11

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Remember when Randy held Jacare to a draw in which nothing happened

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I prefer when Brendan Schaub Nate Quarry'd in his match with Cyborg and decided it meant he won and that he shut down Cyborg's submission game and bragged about it for months

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think being completely unable to do anything with Chael in a submission grappling match bodes well for Bisping's chances in a with Bravo as we know Sonnen is impossible to submit.

Submission losses aside, Chael Sonnen is one of the best at the best grappling martial art there is. Bisping's grappling credentials pale in comparison yet it was an evenly matched event.

Eddie may win in a suden death overtime but he's not taking Bisping down let alone submitting him in regulation.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Jota posted:

I prefer when Brendan Schaub Nate Quarry'd in his match with Cyborg and decided it meant he won and that he shut down Cyborg's submission game and bragged about it for months

i think you mean kailib starnes'd. nate was the non sucker in that fight.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

cis autodrag posted:

i think you mean kailib starnes'd. nate was the non sucker in that fight.

Yeah, switched up the names my bad.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

tesilential posted:

Submission losses aside, Chael Sonnen is one of the best at the best grappling martial art there is.

This is a joke right?

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Eddie Alvarez Vs Dustin Poirier at UFC 213. That will be a scrap

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Dangersim posted:

This is a joke right?

Isn't Chael supposed to be a pretty strong wrestler (as long as he's juicing and isn't wrestling above his weight class)?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

https://youtu.be/7eVNxEVIzXg

Woo got real serious at the end there. I'm actually looking forward to TUF?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Grem posted:

Woo got real serious at the end there. I'm actually looking forward to TUF?

Holy poo poo the "I just wanna bang bro" guy is in there I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkN8V2Xogsw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Belgian Waffle posted:

Isn't Chael supposed to be a pretty strong wrestler (as long as he's juicing and isn't wrestling above his weight class)?

He has good double leg takedowns and top control, in the clinch and on the bottom he stinks.

• Locked thread