Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
overpaying for QBs has happened before the Brock signing and will continue to happen. Matt Stafford got $41m guaranteed before playing a single snap, though that was before rookie contracts got reworked and it was worth it. Dumb GMs will refuse to have coaches sign off on FA acquisitions, convince themselves that THIS is the guy to take them all the way, pitchfork some money into a truck to be driven to that person's house, and we will continue to sup from the well of comedy

and sure, maybe the Bears won't give him a contract with multiple guaranteed years, but the 49ers and the Jets and the Browns and you get it, there are teams with nothing at QB and guaranteed failure until they have someone decent under center. It's only a matter of time before a desperate team with more cap room than sense goes hard after *rolls the dice* Jimmy Garoppolo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sataere posted:

Yeah and as has been repeatedly stated, it was a once in a generation contract for a relatively unknown commodity at quarterback that blew up in the Texans face.

Do you think it is possible you might be jumping the gun by declaring this is "a once in a generation contract" before even a single year has passed since it was signed?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

*fake and very funny puppet voice* The salary cap is already 47 million dollars more than it was when brock osweiler came into the league

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Chichevache posted:

That was a pretty good game. I enjoyed it.

It was certainly the most exciting game of Thursday Night Football played last season, even if it was a sloppy mess. You could clearly see how Minnesota's crowd noise was getting to the Cowboys. People underrate that stadium but from what I've read it easily rivals the Seahawks in terms of noise.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TheChirurgeon posted:

It was certainly the most exciting game of Thursday Night Football played last season

Was the Raiders Texans game in Mexico City on TNF? That was a pretty exciting (and annoying) game.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Grittybeard posted:

Was the Raiders Texans game in Mexico City on TNF? That was a pretty exciting (and annoying) game.
It was MNF

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

You know what, gently caress the Bears. I'm over football.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

beejay posted:

You know what, gently caress the Bears.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Rumors floating about that Samantha Ponder could be taking over for Chris Berman

http://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/03/05/espn-sunday-nfl-countdown-replacement-chris-berman-sam-ponder

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Azhais posted:

Rumors floating about that Samantha Ponder could be taking over for Chris Berman

http://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/03/05/espn-sunday-nfl-countdown-replacement-chris-berman-sam-ponder

Does this mean she's leaving college gameday? Because I'd rather have her there interviewing drunk fans and stuff.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
So Trumaine Johnson signed his Franchise Tender for 16.7m dollars. I'm not 100% on how this works, but now even if the Rams and him come to agreement on a new contract that would be an extension on this year which is 16.7m no matter what correct?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

a patagonian cavy posted:

overpaying for QBs has happened before the Brock signing and will continue to happen. Matt Stafford got $41m guaranteed before playing a single snap, though that was before rookie contracts got reworked and it was worth it. Dumb GMs will refuse to have coaches sign off on FA acquisitions, convince themselves that THIS is the guy to take them all the way, pitchfork some money into a truck to be driven to that person's house, and we will continue to sup from the well of comedy

and sure, maybe the Bears won't give him a contract with multiple guaranteed years, but the 49ers and the Jets and the Browns and you get it, there are teams with nothing at QB and guaranteed failure until they have someone decent under center. It's only a matter of time before a desperate team with more cap room than sense goes hard after *rolls the dice* Jimmy Garoppolo

The Stafford contract is a bad example, because that was under the old collective bargaining agreement, where teams were essentially forced to spend that money on the number one overall pick. And by your logic, #1 overall pick Sam Bradford was worth every penny of his rookie contract. :v:

And I am not saying someone isn't going to fall in love or overpay. I'm just saying that we shouldn't use a statistical anomaly as a frame of reference.

Chichevache posted:

Do you think it is possible you might be jumping the gun by declaring this is "a once in a generation contract" before even a single year has passed since it was signed?

Absolutely. I could be very wrong and Rick Smith was the harbinger of a new generation of front office ineptitude. We could bear witness to a glorious new utopia of sports related comedy. I just need it to happen more than once to believe it.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

It's nice to know that the everbody outside of Boston, including pro athletes share this feeling. I know it well

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
http://twitter.com/TorreySmithWR/status/838932800329891842

I hope you go find an accurate deep bomb QB, Torrey. You deserve it :unsmith:

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

beejay posted:

You know what, gently caress the Bears. I'm over football.

This seems increasingly like the correct stance, but I am too weak to walk away.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

fishing with the fam posted:

This seems increasingly like the correct stance, but I am too weak to walk away.

I, too have accepted my pain.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

The way I see it, just one more year of Fox and then we should have a real coach. Also, gently caress you bitch-rear end quitters. There is no way this is the hardest stretch of Bears football you've experienced. Were none of you around for Wanny?

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Trestman was worse than Wannstedt.

Edit: I'll piss and moan, but I'm not actually quitting Bears football.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I've figured it out. The Bears are going to let Cutler and Alshon go. Then since they need a QB and WR they'll take Glennon for roughly Cutler's price and draft Mike Williams at #3 since Glennon needs weapons! Can't spend $15m on a qb with no weapons after all.

it just makes sense.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Bears are also linked to Cordarrelle Patterson.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Does anyone have the link to the steak post handy? It came up in a conversation with a friend and he wants to see it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

IcePhoenix posted:

Does anyone have the link to the steak post handy? It came up in a conversation with a friend and he wants to see it.

It's a damned shame he got rid of that avatar so soon, I still laugh thinking about it.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

It's a damned shame he got rid of that avatar so soon, I still laugh thinking about it.

Barudak's is a solid #2 with the googly eyes raiders handcuffs being #3

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

wandler20 posted:

Bears are also linked to Cordarrelle Patterson.

He would at least be a good return option. So of course the Bears would try and use him as a #1 option

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Tavarin posted:

He would at least be a good return option. So of course the Bears would try and use him as a #1 option

Devin Hester redux, only less so. :effort:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Grittybeard posted:

At least it still lives in mine (until I replace it with something from Mass Effect or Horizon)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/839136358757187584

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/839153333264924672

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/839172522948050945

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Uh, I'd be interested in both Stevie Johnson and Brandon Flowers.

WTF

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

kiimo posted:

Uh, I'd be interested in both Stevie Johnson and Brandon Flowers.

WTF

Flowers is horrifically bad and permanently concussed

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I guess that makes sense considering his size and weight.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Sataere posted:

The way I see it, just one more year of Fox and then we should have a real coach. Also, gently caress you bitch-rear end quitters. There is no way this is the hardest stretch of Bears football you've experienced. Were none of you around for Wanny?

I've been through a ton of poo poo and that's WHY I'm quitting. With the McCaskeys in charge it's been a joke and the current circus is too much for me.

beejay fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 7, 2017

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Scott McCloughan with the 49ers.

Scott McCloughan with the Seahawks.

Scott McCloughan with the Redskins.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Great things come in Bears. This is kinda a funny slogan if you think about it dirty.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Scott McCloughan with the 49ers.

Scott McCloughan with the Seahawks.

Scott McCloughan with the Redskins.

Well when you put it like that its a little easier to believe that he fell off the wagon. That sucks. Hope he gets the help he needs.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Russell Wilson is good for the NFL

https://twitter.com/ciara/status/839188332793864192

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Santheb posted:

Well when you put it like that its a little easier to believe that he fell off the wagon. That sucks. Hope he gets the help he needs.

And more recently:

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

I hate to make assumptions but..I know when I was drinking way more than I should have been, my face blew the gently caress up (cheeks, chin, all that) and was in a permanent state of flushed. McCloughan has the naturally red cheeks but alcohol really brings out the flushness.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Alcoholism ages you fast, between the Seahawks and Redskins pics it isn't unbelievable that he's on the wagon. That last one he does have a pretty red face but that could just be from dealing with Dan Snyder regularly.

Yeah he's probably in the middle of a 3 month bender.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I'm not sure I want to drink beer anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Santheb posted:

I hate to make assumptions but..I know when I was drinking way more than I should have been, my face blew the gently caress up (cheeks, chin, all that) and was in a permanent state of flushed. McCloughan has the naturally red cheeks but alcohol really brings out the flushness.

He drank so much he looks like Philip Seymour Hoffman

• Locked thread