Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'd get the Raptor too because it will hold it's value more than a non-Raptor would. Plus it's fast and that's cool right? I think they are super obnoxious but I'm sure people look at me driving around and think I'm super obnoxious so.

Also

My body is ready

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

funny Star Wars parody posted:

buy the raptor

it's super worth it (because it looks rad as hell)

KakerMix posted:

I'd get the Raptor too because it will hold it's value more than a non-Raptor would. Plus it's fast and that's cool right? I think they are super obnoxious but I'm sure people look at me driving around and think I'm super obnoxious so.

That fuckin' grille

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Movie chat/UK Regional Softness Chat:
My wife (who is not from That London but sounds posh enough to do voiceovers) and her friends were allowed to rent the VHS of "Cannibal Holocaust" at about age 12 by her mother, a professional woman of the solidly well-off middle class. I watched it in my mid 30's, hardened by a couple decades of the internet, and I was still shocked and impressed.

The first movie I remember seeing in the theaters was also Star Wars. Hi-five to Lloyd and Cat and the rest of the experienced crew.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Because it's like a redneck Maybach.

buy the raptor

Finally seeing a 2017 in person is actually what pushed me a bit towards a regular F-150. They're definitely rad looking but not enough over a regular F-150 (with a lift and 35s) to justify the 20k price difference.

I've gone back and forth a half dozen times but what seems to have stopped me from doing that was actually doing the math on payments and the difference between getting a 65k dollar truck for 10 grand under window vs getting a 65k dollar truck for 5k over window.

The Raptor will definitely hold its value better but a big chunk of that is the fact that you pay out the rear end for one to begin with. And they're not really fast. A Raptor does the 1/4 around 14.1 and a regular F-150 like 14.7. And I have a 550 horsepower Mustang for fast. :getin:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Pretty sure the first film I saw in he cinema was Casper the Friendly Ghost

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

nm posted:

I've been reading all your posts in a thick Yorkshire accent and now you're ruined it. With a posh accent, you just sound like a douche.
I thought I was the only forum regular who originated in Yorkshire. I really don't have the accent at all, though.

Film chat: I think the first cinema trip in my memory is probably Ghostbusters 2, because I spent the following week being freaked out by paintings.

Car chat: Anyone know anything about old head units? I've come into possession of an Alpine 7525R from 1992, and I managed to get it to power up, but then it shut off and I can't get anything out of it. It is getting power all the way through the internal side of the main connector port (earth, permanent live and switched live all ok), but I'm really not sure how to progress from there. It's not really worth anything now (RRP was £450 originally :gonk:), but it might make a nice "period" unit for something if I can get it working.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

KakerMix posted:

Used raptor prices are artificially high right now. They stopped making them for a couple years, and announced the new ones wouldn't have the V8. Once some of the '17s start hitting the used market, and people figure out that the V6EB is a damned good engine, prices on the old ones will drop like rocks.

And yeah, the $15k price difference is huge. $15k gets you a lot of suspension and tire work, in additional to a lot of money left in your pocket.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

buy the raptor

not emptyquoting but this is right.

scrubs, are you going to move to Salt Lake?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Lots of contractor types drive Raptors around here (flat, no hills at all and none of them ever see mud) so I figured they held their value for the badge rather than the actual truck itself. That Raptor logo is pretty big.

~Also~ sold my car to Carvana today. Was extremely easy, less than 24 hours from deciding to sell it to them to them showing up with a truck, looking the car over for like 2 minutes and cutting a check. I'm sure Carmax is cool too but like I said earlier Carvana came to me and I didn't have to leave the house, like a true goon.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

InitialDave posted:

I thought I was the only forum regular who originated in Yorkshire. I really don't have the accent at all, though.

I always think I speak neutrally but like most Minnesotans its extremely obvious where I'm from when I'm around other people.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

ilkhan posted:

people figure out that the V6EB is a damned good engine,

I drove a 2016 (which IIRC is down 10 hp and 50 lb/ft vs the second gen 3.5), plus only has the 6 speed vs the 10 speed (and I've seen many rave reviews on the 10 speed).

And I was surprised/impressed. I obviously can't personally speak to longevity/durability but as far as driving it, it's a hell of a motor.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

The first cinema visit i remember was the little mermaid with my little sister and my Nan. I remember it more I think because the cinema was a pretty cool old building from the 1930's which I think had just been refurbished and reopened when I went there.
It has since been knocked down and that area is now a shithole.

InitialDave posted:

Film chat: I think the first cinema trip in my memory is probably Ghostbusters 2, because I spent the following week being freaked out by paintings.

Car chat: Anyone know anything about old head units? I've come into possession of an Alpine 7525R from 1992, and I managed to get it to power up, but then it shut off and I can't get anything out of it. It is getting power all the way through the internal side of the main connector port (earth, permanent live and switched live all ok), but I'm really not sure how to progress from there. It's not really worth anything now (RRP was £450 originally :gonk:), but it might make a nice "period" unit for something if I can get it working.

I'm no expert but if it powered up and then went off and now wont work then it sounds like something in it went pop! Visually inspect the components on the board and see if something looks hosed.

When I first watched ghostbusters it was at a friends house on video. We then had to walk half a mile home in the dark with my parents and I remember it being an incredibly scary walk!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

I'm no expert but if it powered up and then went off and now wont work then it sounds like something in it went pop! Visually inspect the components on the board and see if something looks hosed.
Mmm, unfortunately electronics isn't massively my thing, so unless it's really obvious, I may be a little stuck.

Tomarse posted:

When I first watched ghostbusters it was at a friends house on video. We then had to walk half a mile home in the dark with my parents and I remember it being an incredibly scary walk!
Even been out in the boonies at pitch-black-o'clock and had a vixen start screaming somewhere in the bushes behind you? Because Jesus Christ, you don't need that poo poo.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

Mmm, unfortunately electronics isn't massively my thing, so unless it's really obvious, I may be a little stuck.

Even been out in the boonies at pitch-black-o'clock and had a vixen start screaming somewhere in the bushes behind you? Because Jesus Christ, you don't need that poo poo.

Not got a stupid feature where it won't power on without a good connection to the speakers?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Not got a stupid feature where it won't power on without a good connection to the speakers?
No, because that would've stopped it powering on in the first place, so it can't be that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

scrubs, are you going to move to Salt Lake?

For a while it looked like somewhere between 25% and 50% chance we were going to move to SLC, but more recent developments (i.e. a different job offer) have dropped it to probably 10% at best. I'd actually say 5%, at this point. Probably not gonna happen, which is both good and bad. I do love farting around in the Wasatch-Uintahs and the proximity to Moab and my pops in Colorado would be nice, and living in/near a pretty large metro area.. But I also like Reno and Tahoe and farting around in the Sierras and the proximity to the Bay Area, so...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

No, because that would've stopped it powering on in the first place, so it can't be that.

Are you connecting it directly to the battery? I recall some Kenwoods needed to go straight off the battery terminals, not the loom, as they are so power hungry

Or

Are the speakers of the right impedance? Get it wrong with too low an impedance and you could be tripping the overload protection inside the unit.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Are you connecting it directly to the battery? I recall some Kenwoods needed to go straight off the battery terminals, not the loom, as they are so power hungry

Or

Are the speakers of the right impedance? Get it wrong with too low an impedance and you could be tripping the overload protection inside the unit.
Yeah, i have a battery on a charger in the spare room I use for bench testing this kind of stuff, voltage is good, it's not a lack of power.

I don't have any speakers connected to it at all for this, and when it did turn on, it was coming on at minimum volume, so it shouldn't be an issue there. It's been in a car sat in a field for several years, so I think I'm probably going to have to open it up a bit more and have a poke around for corrosion and obvious duff components.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's probably full of spiders then.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think I see a burnt pcb trace near one of the smaller capacitors. Will investigate further when I get a chance.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I have put on 4kg (8.8 lbs in fuckhat units) in 2 months in America.

Just went to City BBQ and put on a bit more. Currently assessing the feasibility of building my own smoker at home. This country has issues but you do some stuff right.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I did a foot long poo poo in America thanks to the food and generously water-filled toilet bowls. It wedged in the bottom and the tip proudly poked clear of the water line.

Sadly this was before the advent of camera phones so I couldn't send it to ratemypoo.com for glory.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

jammyozzy posted:

I have put on 4kg (8.8 lbs in fuckhat units) in 2 months in America.

Just went to City BBQ and put on a bit more. Currently assessing the feasibility of building my own smoker at home. This country has issues but you do some stuff right.

All you need is a Webber Kettle grill, that's what I do all my smoking on. Or you could splurge for a Big Green Egg, dunno what you guys have available across the pond tho.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I bought $100 in stuff from Croooober and probably paid $300 in shipping. Where else would I find an original HKS EVC for $75!?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

InitialDave posted:

My grandfather and like half my extended family are from n yorkshire, so it is basicallyy default english accent.
My grandfather basically had no accent at all though because he lived in Uk, Canada, US, as well as being a foriegn service officer so his accemt was a musmash of everything that sounded neutral to everyone. It was kinda weird.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

nm posted:

My grandfather and like half my extended family are from n yorkshire, so it is basicallyy default english accent.
My grandfather basically had no accent at all though because he lived in Uk, Canada, US, as well as being a foriegn service officer so his accemt was a musmash of everything that sounded neutral to everyone. It was kinda weird.

This is basically my accent now except the occasional time where a bit of extra aussie or Irish or something pops out

Siri hates me

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
New keyboard day!

Code Keyboard. Cherry MX clears. I'm tired just from typing this sentence.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

jamal posted:

I was like 10-11 going to see Jurassic park, and they wouldn't sell us tickets because we weren't 13. We bought tickets to another movie and just went in anyway. I remember being nervous that someone was going to come in and pull us out of there. Also the raptors gave me nightmares for awhile.

Jurassic Park is the first PG13 I ever saw. My parents kept a tight lid on anything R rated, I don't think they even owned anything on VHS that was rated past PG. Also the first time I remember having to wait in line for a movie on account of the massive goddamn crowds.

I thought it was cool as hell, but also scary as hell. My four year old loves it. Of course she also loved Rogue One so :coolfish:

I definitely remember earlier movies in theater - Aladdin, Little Mermaid, and Land Before Time. I remember watching An American Tail on VHS a billion times but I don't remember seeing it in theaters.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The first R-Rated I saw was Mad Max. Which really bizarred me out at the time as Mad Max 2 was M rated here (i was just old enough to see it) and Mad Max had no where near the violence or naked boobs. Or rape.

Literally rated R due to swearing.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The first R-Rated I saw was Mad Max. Which really bizarred me out at the time as Mad Max 2 was M rated here (i was just old enough to see it) and Mad Max had no where near the violence or naked boobs. Or rape.

Literally rated R due to swearing.

My first R was... Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. I didn't get it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think my first R was a Kazaa download of The Matrix.

Somehow, watching it on a lovely 15" CRT monitor seemed very appropriate.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
My first R was Aliens when I was 6 and my brother was 4. We had to "sleep"(neither one of us could) in the same room out of fear for the next week, and to this day I cannot watch that series. Thanks dad.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

New keyboard day!

Tired? Son you need to convert to the truth and the light that is the buckling spring. Might I suggest:

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/f77-model-f-keyboard/

Some crazy person ordered a new production run of Model Fs and I am desperately trying to figure out how I can mismanage my finances so I can get one.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Oh hell no. My wife is loud enough on a set of MX Blues.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

New keyboard day!

I have the same one, but with MX greens. It's the best keyboard. My coworkers are lucky I work from home.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
A counterfeit spark plug came in to the office today. Looked pretty good at first glance. Only some really small details gave it away. Well, that and throwing it in the xray machine, but who's got one of those at home?

Be careful out there. Buy from reputable sources.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Wrar posted:

Oh hell no. My wife is loud enough on a set of MX Blues.

I have a CM QFR with all greens in it, still too soft. Right now I'm typing on a Model M born in May of 1986.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
BESPOKE KEYBOARDS

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
A week after posting my motorcycle on Craigslist I got my first offer. I'm asking $4400 and said I'm open to trade for a full size pickup or SUV. The offer?
A Discovery series 2. I need a truck to tow my project, not be the project. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

scrubs season six posted:

For a while it looked like somewhere between 25% and 50% chance we were going to move to SLC, but more recent developments (i.e. a different job offer) have dropped it to probably 10% at best. I'd actually say 5%, at this point. Probably not gonna happen, which is both good and bad. I do love farting around in the Wasatch-Uintahs and the proximity to Moab and my pops in Colorado would be nice, and living in/near a pretty large metro area.. But I also like Reno and Tahoe and farting around in the Sierras and the proximity to the Bay Area, so...
I like sac. We have Tahoe, Reno, and SF within easy driving distance, not much we don't have access to. Now if only we had sane politics...

• Locked thread