Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

JaucheCharly posted:

Check out the work of 2 of my friends

http://imgur.com/a/LqN3g

Niiiiice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

JaucheCharly posted:

A year back or more another dude talked about this maker, and it's pretty bland work for that price.

Check out the work of 2 of my friends

http://imgur.com/a/LqN3g

Sick arbalests, yo. I like how clean his workshop is; no garage junk in sight.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I don't believe for a second that this isn't completely staged. The second that you start to work with horn it's a dusty and disgusting shitfest. Those guys do reenactment and exhibitions, I think those workshop pics are from one of these occasions.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

I don't believe for a second that this isn't completely staged. The second that you start to work with horn it's a dusty and disgusting shitfest. Those guys do reenactment and exhibitions, I think those workshop pics are from one of these occasions.
did the hose and doublet tip you off

edit: posting from my own disgusting shitfest

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

In political-economic terms how similar was feudalism throughout the Carolingian world in say 1500? Especially in Germany/HRE's western bits, in the history of Germany everyone talks about neo-serfdom and the East Elbian Junkers but nobody talks about the Rhineland

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Massive differences depending on local situations. Local economy, local religious mix, secular vs ecclesiastical lords, rural vs urban, etc.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

In political-economic terms how similar was feudalism throughout the Carolingian world in say 1500? Especially in Germany/HRE's western bits, in the history of Germany everyone talks about neo-serfdom and the East Elbian Junkers but nobody talks about the Rhineland

http://store.steampowered.com/app/327930/

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

icantfindaname posted:

What do you mean by Carolingian? I'm not familiar with the use of that term for anything other than the 8th/9th-century Frankish dynasty.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

deadking posted:

What do you mean by Carolingian? I'm not familiar with the use of that term for anything other than the 8th/9th-century Frankish dynasty.

Pretty much the core territory of the Carolingian empire, northern France, western Germany, the low countries, and England(not part of the empire but a graft from it after 1066

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

icantfindaname posted:

Pretty much the core territory of the Carolingian empire, northern France, western Germany, the low countries, and England(not part of the empire but a graft from it after 1066

That's... Not a particularly reasonable linkage, especially nearly 700 years later. Also English feudal practice was never particularly closely related to the French. Even in the Anglo-Norman period there were some pertinent differences, so calling it a "graft" but not, say, contemporary Tuscany doesn't really make sense.

I don't know enough about the larger politics of 16th century Germany or France to give you a good answer, though, since all I care about are fluffy ostrich feathers and outrageous amounts of slashing and particolor (aka the military side)

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 27, 2017

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

This is triggering me really hard

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

icantfindaname posted:

That is incredibly not related to anything Carolingian.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hey guys could you tell me about the funeral traditions in the Viking world, specifically Sicily in the 30 Years War.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FreudianSlippers posted:

Hey guys could you tell me about the funeral traditions in the Viking world, specifically Sicily in the 30 Years War.

They lighted the ships of their chiefs with gunpowder.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

icantfindaname posted:

The explanation made it worse.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
what the
how
i

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

"I study the Carolingian world"

"Really? Do you have a specialty?"

"Anglo-Saxon England in 1066"

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

wow calm down, i'm asking you a question about what you're mocking me for not knowing? how much of whatever political uniformity existed in western europe in the middle ages remained by the beginning of the early modern period? and how similar was feudalism in england to its counterpart on the continent?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 1, 2017

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

i know about the carolingus

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

wow calm down, i'm asking you a question about what you're mocking me for not knowing? how much of whatever political uniformity existed in western europe in the middle ages remained by the beginning of the early modern period? and how similar was feudalism in england to its counterpart on the continent?

Not much, and not very would be the broad answers. "Feudalism" is hugely regional because the whole system is basically codified customs. Everything from the power of nobles compared to monarchs, inheritance laws, to the legal status of the third estate can vary wildly between micro states in Central Europe much less areas separated by additional cultural religious and linguistic barriers. Not to mention historical accidents like s bunch of Normans ending up ruling a bunch of saxons.

"Carolingian Europe" really isn't a category people think in past maybe his grandsons. Political authority decentralizes a lot on France much less the Italian and German chunks of his territory. Really people are thinking about a "European" identity in terms of greater Christendom which itself is just a short hand for western Rome. If you really want a lasting contribution it's probably in the HRE and the general idea of the pope being arbiter of who gets to officially be s king. I'm not 100% on that front though.

Really it's in how it breaks up that you see the longest lasting influences. Conceiving of France and Germany as different political spheres is something that sticks.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Okay, that's fair enough.

Another question: why did neo-serfdom happen in the eastern HRE and central europe and not in the western HRE?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 1, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

icantfindaname posted:

Okay, that's fair enough.

Another question: why did neo-serfdom happen in the eastern HRE and central europe and not in the western HRE?

Less travelers bringing in new ideas. West had a lot of ports and travel was way less restricted.

That's my uneducated layman guess.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
The purpose of serfdom is to guarantee landowners will have consistent access to the labor power of their tenants, because the tenants cannot move away or pursue other work. It was introduced in the later Roman Empire to address a labor shortage in the agricultural sector.

Serfdom in Western Europe is widely supposed to have broken down as a result of the 14th-century plagues. Mass death reduced the available labor pool, creating a labor shortage. But at the same time, institutions that enforced serfdom were weakened. In the 14th and 15th centuries there is clear evidence of increasing social tension, including spectacular uprisings like the French Jacquerie or the English Peasants' Revolt. This may indicate that the aristocracy tried to respond to the labor situation by retrenching serfdom, but struggled to do so and provoked militant resistance, such that serfdom eventually became untenable and was negotiated into milder forms of obligation.

AFAIK the general line on late serfdom in Central/Eastern Europe is similar--states with small populations and large land areas faced labor shortages, and the landowning class resolved the problem by imposing serfdom on the peasantry, and had the power to make it stick.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Have a bit of a (long) Arthurian question for y'all. So judicial duels are a big part of early (can of worms, but let's call this 12th century-ish French) Arthurian literature. Like, the legal truth or falsity of a case is pretty much always determined when someone gets shamefully unhorsed by my lord Titular Knight.

To what extent are these portrayals reflections of contemporary systems of justice, dramatic inventions, attempts at historicity, or otherwise? My hunch is that they're largely just made up, but trial by battle was used in the period and I wouldn't put it beyond authors to include details familiar to the audience.

I'm particularly concerned with two cases in Yvain, the Knight Of The Lion:

-The first one is representing a woman accused of treason, wherein Yvain fights three government officials at once (and kills them all after his lion companion bit one of their legs off).

-The second is a land dispute between two sisters whose father just died, wherein Yvain must battle his friend Gawain to determine which sister is in the right (it ends in a draw, I don't remember how the case was resolved atm).

I know there were some judicial battles involving multiple participants, but were numerically unbalanced battles ever sanctioned? Could treason or crimes of similar severity by adjudicated like this in the absence of evidence? Did any judicial duels involve dudes getting eaten by lions???

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
"Go on, show me the law that says I can't use a lion"

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Read Eric Jager's The Last Duel if you haven't, it's later than the period your looking for but it goes into some of the nuts and bolts of trial by combat.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What are the rocks for in this picture and what is the staff-club-weapon that a few of them have called?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Professor Shark posted:

What are the rocks for in this picture and what is the staff-club-weapon that a few of them have called?

They are large peasant's flails with iron bits added. They were cheap to make and could hurt people in heavy armours, and were quite common rebel weapons in the late Medieval and Early modern periods:

But these kinds of flails existed only as fantasy replicas:

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 5, 2017

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

The image depicts a section of a Hussite wagon fort. Just googling, I'm finding some claims that they carried stones as weapons of last resort, to chuck at enemies if they were being overrun or ran out of ammunition. As Hogge Wild says, the club-like weapons are peasant flails modified as weapons. They originated as agricultural tools used to beat the husks from grain, but they were popular weapons of peasant rebels in late medieval/early modern uprisings. This is probably because they were available, peasants were familiar with using them, and they could apply a lot of percussive force, which is useful if you're being attacked by someone in armor. The flail was the characteristic Hussite weapon.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
I just got done listening to this on audiobook https://www.amazon.com/Origins-Political-Order-Prehuman-Revolution/dp/0374533229

Origins of Political Order by Francis Fukuyama.

Its scope is broader than this thread, but I'm not a historian and it went into tons of detail of the difference between various sorts of "fuedalism" probably a good read for anyone interested in that. It specifiacally gets into how the English and Russian systems differ from , and im being more broad than the book here, western European feudalism.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hogge Wild posted:

They are large peasant's flails with iron bits added. They were cheap to make and could hurt people in heavy armours, and were quite common rebel weapons in the late Medieval and Early modern periods:

But these kinds of flails existed only as fantasy replicas:

Apparently even the short-handled ones like that did exist, though the length of the chain usually trends towards the shorter side. Matt Easton did a video on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGf7n7iUF_k

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

why did feudalism develop representative bodies/parliaments in europe and not in japan? is this another bad question?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In some cases these bodies were older than feudalism.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Do parliaments or similar representative bodies develop anywhere outside of Europe, even for brief periods of time?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Do parliaments or similar representative bodies develop anywhere outside of Europe, even for brief periods of time?

Iroquois Confederacy.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

icantfindaname posted:

There were several states in India that seem to have been republics (with some kind of ruling assembly instead of a king) between the 6th and 4th centuries BCE. Those assemblies might still have been dominated by the nobility or oligarchs. The historical record is spotty.

That's how the government of the Buddha's people is described, for instance:

Wikipedia posted:

According to the Mahāvastu and the Lalitavistara Sūtra, the seat of the Shakya administration was the santhagara("assembly hall") at Kapilavastu. A new building for the Shakya santhagara was constructed at the time of Gautama Buddha, which was inaugurated by him. The highest administrative authority was the sidharth , comprising 500 members, which met in the santhagara to transact any important business. The Shakya Parishad was headed by an elected raja, who presided over the meetings.

VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!
Can anyone here recommend me a good source to learn about the living conditions of the urban poor in the middle ages? A lot of sources I read seem to refer to large towns and cities as if they were only inhabited by skilled craftsmen, students, and nobility in their city-houses. The Western Roman Empire housed the urban lower class in insulae, but then I'm very unclear on whether some sort of apartment-analog survives after the Empire implodes. Can anyone comment on this, or recommend me a source? I'm mostly interested in France, (meaning Paris, as most of the other urban centers get real sparse) but I'd also be fascinated to hear if the Insulae persisted in the surviving Eastern Roman world. Thanks, medievalists.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

icantfindaname posted:

Carthage had a Senate.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

icantfindaname posted:

why did feudalism develop representative bodies/parliaments in europe and not in japan? is this another bad question?

There are only three parliaments in medieval Western Europe: Leon, England and Scotland. The French parlement is the etymological origin of the word but is not a legislative body, and is therefore very different. But all forms of representative government in Europe grow out of either earlier communal practices like the Nordic thing or from the reciprocal relationship between a king and his nobility as in the Polish sejm.

I don't think, however, that the consent of the governed is a conclusion that particularly needs explaining. There is literally no governmental system that does not, to some degree, operate on some consensual level, even if it is only the consent of the nobility and their soldiers. Rebellion is political opposition, and it would be a challenge to find a governmental system that has never seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I don't think, however, that the consent of the governed is a conclusion that particularly needs explaining. There is literally no governmental system that does not, to some degree, operate on some consensual level, even if it is only the consent of the nobility and their soldiers. Rebellion is political opposition, and it would be a challenge to find a governmental system that has never seen it.

This can also be modified by what kind of right to rule the king is claiming. Begining with the Zhou in China, for example, you have the idea of the "mandate of heaven" where the monarch has a responsibility to govern well and for the benefit of his people. Doing so indicates he has the favor of heaven, and if he's an unjust ruler then he's clearly lost heaven's support and rebellion is justified. I don't know enough to comment deeply on it, but it seems a much more flexible system re: getting rid of monarchs than the divine right of kings backed by Papal sanction that you see in post-Charlemagne Europe. At a guess forming some kind of body to try and negotiate with the monarch seems like something that might be an attractive point short of rebellion if your cultural assumption is that the King was appointed irrevocably by God.

• Locked thread