Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

parallelodad posted:

I just don't know if the system can overcome Capcom's laziness of not wanting to develop HD assets. Same for Gamefreak.

I like how game freak apparently said switch is too powerful for a mainline Pokémon game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
All of the cases shown on Amazon seem to have sold out and will take weeks to ship.

I guess I'll need to actually find one in a store.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

parallelodad posted:

I just don't know if the system can overcome Capcom's laziness of not wanting to develop HD assets. Same for Gamefreak.

Gamefreak already made high-poly pokemon models. It's why the framerate chugs so bad in multi-battles in Sun/Moon.

I think Capcom will probably make an HD Monster Hunter, but it will either be smaller in scope until the G-Rank version comes out a year later, or they'll just steal a bunch of assets from the MMO :v:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Inverness posted:

All of the cases shown on Amazon seem to have sold out and will take weeks to ship.

I guess I'll need to actually find one in a store.

I bought my case in January and they still have no idea when they're gonna ship it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Game Freak already made HD assets of all the Pokemon. They future proofed themselves. They've been having the problem of needing to downscale for 3DS hardware. The rumored Pokemon Stars will shine on Switch.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Weird, my profile just says "first played four days ago" and doesn't list the time.

Also, anybody know if the Switch can connect to hotspots that require a username AND password? I try to connect to my work's wi-fi but the Switch is only asking for a password.

It was being reported that it needed to pass a time threshold before showing up. Also that it displayed 100 hours at most for some reason.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i bought this thing and it seems really good. i wouldn't go around dropping it but I wouldn't feel like it would break right off either

http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/nintendo-switch-starter-kit-mario-edition/140256

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

parallelodad posted:

Needing to charge while in tabletop mode is such an edge case though. How many non int'l flights or train rides are longer than three hours? Even in that case playing a game that long without taking a break seems unlikely. And even if you do intend to play that long, you can just hold the thing in the end. And finally, stand solutions to it with a passthrough are extremely cheap.

What about somebody who wants to just keep a Switch in tabletop mode on their computer desk to fart around on between working or whatever, but doesn't want to dock it and use one of their monitors as the display? Seems like that could be a fairly common use case.

I mean there's at least enough of a demand that Nintendo licensed an official plastic stand that lets you do exactly that while keeping a charger plugged in.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 7, 2017

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
heres a usecase

*points to dilz*

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

GreatGreen posted:

What about somebody who wants to just keep a Switch in tabletop mode on their computer desk to fart around on while they work or do whatever, but don't want to dock it and use one of their monitors as the display? Seems like that could be a fairly common use case.

I mean there's at least enough of a demand that Nintendo licensed an official plastic stand that lets you do exactly that while keeping a charger plugged in.

That doesn't sound incredibly common, and they can do that with about $6 mini-easel and a couple minutes of hole drilling.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ill show you something that you can drill

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Yep, Stars should look really good as it pushes the 3DS as far as it can go, and they definitely downsampled everything.

Speaking of HD assets, Animal Crossing already has them as well, spread across that lovely board game and also the fantastic Mario Kart track. Seriously, that AC track that came in the DLC was fantastic how it had four different versions, one for each season, and the scenery was great. I can't wait to play the next AC!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

eonwe posted:

ill show you something that you can drill

Is it a woodpecker

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

parallelodad posted:

Needing to charge while in tabletop mode is such an edge case though. How many non int'l flights or train rides are longer than three hours? Even in that case playing a game that long without taking a break seems unlikely. And even if you do intend to play that long, you can just hold the thing in the end. And finally, stand solutions to it with a passthrough are extremely cheap.

The funny thing is that Nintendo didn't have to include a kickstand at all. If they didn't, then they wouldn't be getting all this flak. How many other tablets come with a kickstand built in?

Drunk Tomato fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 7, 2017

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Somehow I doubt the company that showed a Mario game 10 months in advance is secretly sitting on a pokemon game.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

This thread moves fast, so this may be a repeat, but YOOOO

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/839201359194828800

playtime records are in your user profile page.

I'm just seeing "Started Playing 3 Days Ago" in that spot, does it take time to switch over to hours or do i have to press something?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

parallelodad posted:

That doesn't sound incredibly common, and they can do that with about $6 mini-easel and a couple minutes of hole drilling.

Yeah that makes sense. Kind of like how there wasn't actually a problem with this great design:

And all that has to be done to work around it is just a couple of fly-by minutes of drilling an intuitive grid pattern into your desk!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 7, 2017

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Somehow I doubt the company that showed a Mario game 10 months in advance is secretly sitting on a pokemon game.

That Mario game isn't already out, selling big on the 3DS. Nintendo makes some wacky marketing moves, but that's one I don't blame them for.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Not a Children posted:

I don't see how you'd lock out a USB-C to HDMI signal other than through an easily subverted/replicated handshake to make sure it's the "right" kind of connection. See also: the lockout chip in the NES

Thats what I was thinking, some custom handshake has to occur with specific code that they copyright and block out third parties from producing without licensing or a hack on the Switch's end. Basically like a custom DRM handshake.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Phone posted:

The SP is a -001, though.

Haha, nice. My 2DS is red though, but great minds think alike.

Here are my Nintendo handhelds. The original GBA has a backlit SP-101 screen in it. The black one is a 101 in a new casing (was a really scratched up Pink one I got for cheap). The atomic purple GBC has the front light mod. I have some other GBC and GBA without screen mods that aren't pictured. I also have a GB Boy Colour that I mainly use for GB/GBC games.

The Switch fits in nicely but would look even more in place if I got the neon.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 7, 2017

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thats a cool collection

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Ok, last big picture post. But I am posting this here since I am avoiding the Zelda thread for spoilers, but my strategy guide came in today (yes, I see the irony in this sentence). It looks great and comes with a cool map. Definitely some good shelf candy and something to flip through to put next to Hyrule Historia.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

eonwe posted:

thats a cool collection

Thanks, I had every Zelda Edition handheld for a bit except for the PAL only Zelda GBA SP. However, I thought that was madness and sold the two 3DS editions and the other N3DSXL edition since they were just sitting on my shelf unused.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Nephzinho posted:

I'm just seeing "Started Playing 3 Days Ago" in that spot, does it take time to switch over to hours or do i have to press something?

Same for me. :(

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

The switch now that I've had it in my hands is by far the most attractive portable ever made, although it still feels solid compared to say a tablet or phone in durability, just not old school Gameboy levels or even DS. But those things also looked awful. As far as a portable goes it really works well, and the fact it's really the first portable with easy local multiplayer is even better. The fact the joy con are two small controllers are nice and although I don't have big hands they feel really nice in the grip so I don't see the need for a pro controller and my second controller purchase will just be two joycon and a charging grip. Good portable console, once it has more games it'll be easily one of my favorite as far as design philosophy goes. The charging port location is unfortunate but that's also the only way it could top load dock without having to be upside down and the power switch and volume be on the bottom, which would not be good.

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 7, 2017

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FireMrshlBill posted:

Ok, last big picture post. But I am posting this here since I am avoiding the Zelda thread for spoilers, but my strategy guide came in today (yes, I see the irony in this sentence). It looks great and comes with a cool map. Definitely some good shelf candy and something to flip through to put next to Hyrule Historia.

I like it :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is SnipperClips the only Demo on the store?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Feenix posted:

Is SnipperClips the only Demo on the store?

In the US, ya. Japan has that Puyo Tetris and DQ Heroes 1&2 demos.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Why not? It would certainly make a splash at E3

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I've really come around to the grip, tbh. It feels really nice when you get used to the short throw on the joycon sticks.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
idk anythings possible after they gave stage time to all those different .jpegs of Switch games people are thinking about making and then mentioning Zelda as a launch title on the aftershow

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

FireMrshlBill posted:

In the US, ya. Japan has that Puyo Tetris and DQ Heroes 1&2 demos.

Is it simple to make a JPN profile or whatever? Easier than doing other profiles for other countries for the Apple App store?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Feenix posted:

Is it simple to make a JPN profile or whatever? Easier than doing other profiles for other countries for the Apple App store?

It's just creating a new Nintendo Account and setting your region to Japan. Very simple. As far as payment, some credit cards do work, but you may have to get region specific eshop cards.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

FireMrshlBill posted:

Haha, nice. My 2DS is red though, but great minds think alike.

Here are my Nintendo handhelds. The original GBA has a backlit SP-101 screen in it. The black one is a 101 in a new casing (was a really scratched up Pink one I got for cheap). The atomic purple GBC has the front light mod. I have some other GBC and GBA without screen mods that aren't pictured. I also have a GB Boy Colour that I mainly use for GB/GBC games.

The Switch fits in nicely but would look even more in place if I got the neon.

Ok you have my respect because Golgo 13 is in your library of carts.

They need to bring that IP back.

But, you have Gyromite, but not ROB. So.... one point deduction.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Utnayan posted:

Ok you have my respect because Golgo 13 is in your library of carts.

They need to bring that IP back.

But, you have Gyromite, but not ROB. So.... one point deduction.

ROB is still at my parents house (if they didn't throw it away, god I hope not, it was in my old bedroom's closet last I checked). I left him there for safe keeping until I bought my own house so he wouldn't endure moves, drunken roommates, etc. I just bought my house in January, so he will brought back when I go down there next.

Ya, I wish I had Golgo 13 growing up, sadly I didn't get it until a couple years ago before prices went up.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's just creating a new Nintendo Account and setting your region to Japan. Very simple. As far as payment, some credit cards do work, but you may have to get region specific eshop cards.

Oh. Thanks. Cool. I just meant for demos. Are those demos that were listed above in Japanese? (Common sense says yes, but you know, sometimes those things are in english...)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Really all they need is one big new game announcement and maybe a new peripheral for the Switch.

e3 direct - FROM developed Metroid 5. Peripheral is the new virtual console, a device that connects to the back of the dock and allows you to plug in all your old nes, snes, n64, gb, gba, nds, 3ds, Virtual Boy, GC WII WIIU carts and discs and play either straight from the cart or download them onto the switch to play anytime, anywhere. a selection of old controllers are re released with bluetooth and also joycon'ifed. an app for your smartphone acts as the second screen for ds/wiiu games and a new joycon grip to hold your phone and joycons together. eshop vc releases are the old roms with added online multiplayer, the first game released is goldeneye. you get a discount if you own the orig-hahahahaha im joking you get no discount.

nintendo r&d please hire me.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Vikar Jerome posted:

e3 direct - FROM developed Metroid 5. Peripheral is the new virtual console, a device that connects to the back of the dock and allows you to plug in all your old nes, snes, n64, gb, gba, nds, 3ds, Virtual Boy, GC WII WIIU carts and discs and play either straight from the cart or download them onto the switch to play anytime, anywhere. a selection of old controllers are re released with bluetooth and also joycon'ifed. an app for your smartphone acts as the second screen for ds/wiiu games and a new joycon grip to hold your phone and joycons together. eshop vc releases are the old roms with added online multiplayer, the first game released is goldeneye. you get a discount if you own the orig-hahahahaha im joking you get no discount.

nintendo r&d please hire me.

Nintendo is PC gaming.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I thought Human Resource Machine was a release title, but I can't find it in the eShop. Is it not released yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Detective No. 27 posted:

Game Freak already made HD assets of all the Pokemon. They future proofed themselves. They've been having the problem of needing to downscale for 3DS hardware. The rumored Pokemon Stars will shine on Switch.

“Pokemon has been about being portable, but now there is the Switch, which is a portable home console, so it has a bigger screen and higher specs than we’re used to,” Ishihara said, as translated by NeoGAF user StreetsAhead. “Apart from main games, we make stuff like Pokkén [Tournament] and [Pokémon Mystery] Dungeon, so I am thinking we should make games that suit the Switch, but at this time I cannot confirm any projects.”

Ishihara added that if they were to develop games primarily for the Switch, it would have to be different from the way they’ve handled making portable games in the past, but wouldn’t elaborate. It’s still unclear if the company intends to release a game like Pokémon Sun or Moon for the console.

• Locked thread