Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

JaySB posted:

This has been a discussion about a submission grappling match...

Michael Bisping likes cheating. A lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Thrifting Day! posted:

Eddie Alvarez Vs Dustin Poirier at UFC 213. That will be a scrap

That's bad rear end also don't watch tuf

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Wouldnt Bisping have like 40 pounds on Bravo and be 15 years younger and a current professional athlete? I dont think Bisping would submit him or anything but he'd probably do fine

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Chael made me a fan when he fought Filho who was also fighting a ghost. His career is asinine. But if I had to say what he is truly excellent at, it's his temerity. Watch the first four and a half rounds of Anderson Silva vs. Chael and you can see it.

Chael sometimes mentally breaks before a fight (Tito, Evans) but he also sometimes wins (or nearly wins) on sheer grit and mental toughness.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don't think Chael mentally broke against Tito or Rashad.

In both situations he was just faced with a much better and stronger grappler and couldn't do poo poo about it.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Chael is vitor levels of quitting when the going gets tough, he just has better cardio.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Chael was like 10 seconds (?) away from beating Jon Jones if he didnt quit. He was getting his rear end kicked though

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

1st AD posted:

In both situations he was just faced with a much better and stronger grappler and couldn't do poo poo about it.

If you want to see Chael mentally breaking watch the two fights he lost by submission to Jeremy Horn.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

1st AD posted:

Lol chael against Rashad is like the best example of someone visibly quitting I can think of. As soon as he gets hit hard he rolls over, lays there with his hands on his head and then taps to strikes.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

1st AD posted:

Evans - You could tell in the entire lead up to the fight he wasn't in it.

Tito - gently caress. I don't really know. I'm aware that whole, "He's got that look in his eye, Joe!" thing is bullshit when you have people like Holly Holm looking like a nervous deer than winning the belt from Rousey. But Chael seemed incredibly checked out.

Earlier in his career he did seem to get in bad positions and just go, "gently caress it" more than once. Can't remember the last time he did that though. Was it Marquardt or Maia where he screamed and the ref took it as a verbal tap?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

It was against filho but I don't take that as breaking or quitting, it's just a natural reaction because getting your arm broke really hurts

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
yeah chaels kinda intelligent and not 11 feet tall so its not like tim sylvias brain forgetting to tell him his bones exploded

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

manyak posted:

Chael was like 10 seconds (?) away from beating Jon Jones if he didnt quit. He was getting his rear end kicked though

I don't know how much of that was quitting vs just plain getting TKO'D and there was nothing he could do about it. He also might not have even known his toe was broken.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Dangersim posted:

Lol chael against Rashad is like the best example of someone visibly quitting I can think of. As soon as he gets hit hard he rolls over, lays there with his hands on his head and then taps to strikes.

ehhh - he got hit hard and couldn't get out of mount.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Let's all just remember better times, like when Chael embarrassed Jon Jones at driving heavy construction machinery on TUF and was given a headset so he could talk poo poo at him at the same time.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Remember when chael beat wanderlei in the soccer challenge

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

I don't know how much of that was quitting vs just plain getting TKO'D and there was nothing he could do about it. He also might not have even known his toe was broken.

Yeah he definitely got his rear end whipped and i dont think either of them knew the toe was broken at the time. Still i felt like saying it

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Or the other TUF where Chael charmed the pants off of Brazil

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

manyak posted:

Yeah he definitely got his rear end whipped and i dont think either of them knew the toe was broken at the time. Still i felt like saying it

You're just trying to make me mad but it didn't work, I'm very relaxed and feeling good about things.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrrJW_tz9_o

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Work Friend Keven posted:

You're just trying to make me mad but it didn't work, I'm very relaxed and feeling good about things.

How do you mean? Im glad youre feeling good though

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It's funny how skilled Chael is at winning things that absolutely don't matter at all, but when it comes to any real competition he's always second place sonnen.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

1st AD posted:

It's funny how skilled Chael is at winning things that absolutely don't matter at all, but when it comes to any real competition he's always second place sonnen.

while making more money than any champion not ronda rousey or conor mcgregor. i assume.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

while making more money than any champion not ronda rousey or conor mcgregor. i assume.

I wouldn't assume that because Chael lies a lot.

He still says he broke all the PPV and gate records, but even considering him before Conor or Ronda showed up, GSP and Lesnar easily beat his best buyrate which was the second Silva fight and shy of a million buys.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

It was never mentioned in the thread (but I may have been on "vacation") but when Chael's daughter died and wife nearly died he didn't miss a loving beat with his media stuff. I find his ability to soldier on through things legit inspirational.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

1st AD posted:

I wouldn't assume that because Chael lies a lot.

i didn't. i was making a generalised statement intended to denote my perception of him as a popular entertainer who was good at making money despite being pretty bad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

InfiniteZero posted:

Holy poo poo the "I just wanna bang bro" guy is in there I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkN8V2Xogsw

Did he ever get to bang? :ohdear:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Did he ever get to bang? :ohdear:

Bro?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
best tuf moment i can remember is some guy's face slowly turning from confusion to pure rage as his teammate explains to him what an upper decker is

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

best tuf moment i can remember is some guy's face slowly turning from confusion to pure rage as his teammate explains to him what an upper decker is

hahahaha when was this? who was this?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Marching Powder posted:

hahahaha when was this? who was this?

i dont remember aything but it was a black dude gettin mad and he said something like, "a prank's a prank but doo doo is personal"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

manyak posted:

Wouldnt Bisping have like 40 pounds on Bravo and be 15 years younger and a current professional athlete? I dont think Bisping would submit him or anything but he'd probably do fine

Eddie Bravo is only 46. He's the same age as Hendo.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Julio Cruz posted:

If you want to see Chael mentally breaking watch the two fights he lost by submission to Jeremy Horn.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I can't believe there's a three page discussion on Chael Sonnen in 2017.

This dumb sport

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Thrifting Day! posted:

I can't believe there's a three page discussion on Chael Sonnen in 2017.

This dumb sport

Thought I was in the mma B league thread for a minute.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Rothwell got USADA'd:

https://twitter.com/marc_raimondi/status/839258401548926976

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

lol

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

God drat it Big Ben

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

It's OK, a car just backed over him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
He's supposed to get like 4 years minimum suspension right? Cause that'll be the 2nd drug test failure. Not sure how pre-USADA stuff gets factored in with new ones. Either way he's 35 and... actually after a 4 year suspension he'd still be like average age for a heavyweight.

• Locked thread