Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

IronicDongz posted:

I want nemelex to have a "hand" of cards disconnected from inventory, in the abilities screen(or evoke screen, whatever). you gain them for gaining piety(and get 2 on joining) and only have 5 cards in your hand max, so you are incentivized to use them regularly to avoid wasting potential card draw.

abilities tied to piety can be things like drawing a card for hefty cost, mulliganing multiple cards, playing your whole hand at once, etc

that's seriously along the lines of what i keep suggesting. have the god be more focused on the actual gambling aspect and have god abilities revolving around pressing your luck, making it more and more dangerous to keep rapidly flipping out cards. maybe spend a small chunk of piety to guarantee the next X amount of card draws being strictly positive, etc. etc.

no reason the cards couldn't be handled by the god itself instead of clogging up the inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I would not be surprised if there were some sprawling Tavern post explaining why the inventory aspect is essential for game design reasons and that fun is not an essential aspect of the god.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
no, everyone on tavern dislikes nem inventory. tavern hates tedium so anything reducing clutter is usually popular there as long as it's not extremely stupid

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Yeah, gasronok has a whopping 20 HD, shrikes 18. For comparison an orb of fire has 27, and golden dragons also have 18. This HD number is mainly used to scale monster spells so it leads to some nasty surprises for a hidden #.

Edit this is in response to nemelex polymorph on last page. So this card theoretically worked as intended, choosing a 'weaker' monster, but in this case you can blame design/mechanic and not RNG.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 7, 2017

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Decrepus posted:

Have you casted Tornado yet?

Eh I gave up on that now I'm going for discord

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, never polymorph Gastronok.

I made the mistake of drawing destruction on a pack of death yaks and ended up with three storm dragons and a hydra.

IronicDongz posted:

I want nemelex to have a "hand" of cards disconnected from inventory, in the abilities screen(or evoke screen, whatever). you gain them for gaining piety(and get 2 on joining) and only have 5 cards in your hand max, so you are incentivized to use them regularly to avoid wasting potential card draw.

abilities tied to piety can be things like drawing a card for hefty cost, mulliganing multiple cards, playing your whole hand at once, etc
Something thing related to this I thought would be interesting in addition to regular cards is having 'wild' cards that pick a random card from their deck when used. With wild cards you could make them a cost associated with god abilities, eg using Mulligan may change some of your cards into wilds and can't reroll existing wilds, or gifted cards eventually degenerate into wilds to prevent hoarding specific card types.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
code:
devlanmud the Chopper (level 5, 0/45 HPs)
             Began as a Hill Orc Gladiator on Mar 7, 2017.
             Slain by a hippogriff (7 damage)
             ... on level 3 of the Dungeon.
             The game lasted 00:04:09 (1739 turns).
Welp.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

IronicDongz posted:

A Hearthstone/Gwent style gameplay would be kinda cool - Nemlex gives oyu a starter pack, you collect cards instead of packs, build your deck, new cards get drawn from piety, hand size is piety dependent.

Alternatively I was thinking that a there should be a 52 card pickup ultimate, where you dump a whole deck all at once to create a qazlal-esque destruction zone around you with card effects which would be kinda awesome.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Look, if I have to go to the altar and buy booster packs while completing daily quests... I better be able to trade rares with ijyb

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Combine this new vision of Nemlex with Gozag for the ultimate god of micro-transaction gameplay.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
New gozag penance: Selling cards directly to other players for cash, instead of using in-game trading channels.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PleasingFungus posted:

you guys are very, very badly underestimating how strong pain is for a 3-rune game

bad guys fuckin' melt

So I started a HoWn to try out the council god and here are my options with 3 EW available:
v - the +9 war axe "Plog" (weapon) {flame, rPois}
b - a +0 broad axe
H - a +1 war axe of pain

No 2H axes yet (Just starting Orc). I may go 1H if no exec axes present themselves through Orc/D.

I have book of necromancy, ring of the mage, and 5 necro already to cast animate skeleton. Is pain worth the investment? I am usually a huge fan, especially with cleaving, but I am also a huge fan of hitting things really hard with a huge fuckoff axe. :black101:

edit: Orc and D done, just a +0 battleaxe, also got +9 hand crossbow of Heix {venom, rC+} in Orc and I have gloves of archery so that's another incentive for 1H axes...

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 8, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I had a nemelex card turn two ice dragons into two hell hogs while I was wearing two rings of ice in a ice cave today.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Crawl is a great game. You can play it with one hand and four buttons!

Try the following macros for a berserker.

w - \t
a - X < \n
s - o
d - X > \n

Honestly, I love crawl. I often don't agree with the development team but hey 0.8 will always be there for me.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 8, 2017

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
bind s to tab-tab-tab-tab-tab-o

ssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It seems like my characters illusion can more reliably cast than my character, or am I imagining that?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
IIRC, Pain only really needs 9 Necromancy to proc reliably. Extra damage is a d* where * is your Necromancy skill. So any more after nine is just a slight boost to proc with an ever increasing damage output.

Been a minute since I looked at it though so might be wrong

SteelNeuron
Feb 23, 2017
Since there is some balance talk going on here, this is what I'm considering for the next Council God balance revision:

1) Whirlwind deals 80% of base weapon damage and has increased chance to slow.
2) All martial attacks cause noise proportional to armour encumbrance/shield penalty. At leather and no shield, same noise as normal melee. Anything past that would make noise increase considerably. Wall Jump is the noisiest followed by whirlwind and finally lunge.

Thoughts?

SteelNeuron fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 8, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
#2 seems like a bad idea since wasn't there a push a while ago to make noise a bit more transparent by removing those very things? Or I might be completely wrong because who the hell knows what crawl mechanics are ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

More thoughts about new things:
-Axes seem bad with the council, whirlwind and jump don't appear to trigger cleave and you can hit multiple enemies with any weapon via whirlwind. It's a shame because the council likes fighting in open spaces and so do axes.
-It really should mention somewhere in the heaven cloud ability that it provides a 1 range halo, and probably what it actually provides for you beyond the cloud generation instead of "make fight hit better". Also that ability is really good with antenna telling you where all the hidden enemies are.
-Air elementalists are even better now. They're still not fire elementalists but they are a really good start with even better growth options. Best caster type buff, good.
-Frogs are great air elementalists. Full los spells plus swiftness is pretty nice.

e: Oh also I found the sword of jihad on my axe-wielding council Formacid and also panOrc so I decided to go crazy, switch weapon types and do that thing where you dive pan early for Cerebovs sword which is absolutely insane. It was pretty fun and working out until I rolled holy pan and the two daeva guarding the exit portals ruined my poo poo. Now I think I'm going to lose a ridiculous number of long blades characters trying to succeed at that.

SteelNeuron posted:

Since there is some balance talk going on here, this is what I'm considering for the next Council God balance revision:

2) All martial attacks cause noise proportional to armour encumbrance/shield penalty. At leather and no shield, same noise as normal melee. Anything past that would make noise increase considerably. Wall Jump is the noisiest followed by whirlwind and finally lunge.

Thoughts?
Don't do #2 imo, at least not for whirlwind or lunge. Stealthy characters can be wearing heavier gear too and it's difficult to avoid using those two attacks while moving and not something you want to encourage. Wall jumps making noise (either always or via encumberance) seems reasonable though, especially with how it otherwise helps you flee enemies.

Can whirlwind get stabs? If not I guess that's already a downside for stabby worshippers but lunge especially making any kind of innate noise when stabbing would be awful.

Darox fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 8, 2017

SteelNeuron
Feb 23, 2017

Darox posted:

-Axes seem bad with the council, whirlwind and jump don't appear to trigger cleave and you can hit multiple enemies with any weapon via whirlwind. It's a shame because the council likes fighting in open spaces and so do axes.

There is a trick with axes that make them one of my favorite council weapons: Lunge can trigger cleave, and lunge can happen alongside whirlwind.

This way, if you whirlwind past an enemy while lunging another, you're basically hitting the first enemy twice, because of the whirlwind and the lunge cleave :).

Also yes, restricting noise to wall jumps may be a more sensible idea.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I guess it's that even when you get an ideal formation you're still only getting one lunge-boosted cleave and after that you should be whirlwinding instead of tabbing. Lunges are the hardest attack type to pull off once combat has engaged and lunges with potential cleaves are rarer still, so picking the weapon type that has damage and swing speed penalties for an ability you are only kinda using doesn't seem good.

I guess the perfect 4-enemy whirlwind with cleaving would turn you into a ridiculous blender doing 16 attacks per swing but that sounds amazing honestly. Add a lunge for 25 potential attacks.

If whirlwind damage gets reduced and Axes ignore that penalty to whirlwind for 100% that would also be a nice substitute. Although if whirlwind damage got nerfed you would have reasons to tab again so it balances out anyway.

e: This reminds me that polearms also seem like they would be less good, since I doubt you can use reaching with martial attacks and if you're in reaching range you can also probably lunge.

Darox fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 8, 2017

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Do council god attacks make as much noise as normal attacks?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

My main question is why am I picking whirlwind god if I want to tab? I though the purpose was to create a reason to not tab. Tab is already tons faster and safer than whirlwind, if there is even less reason to use WJC tricks why should I bother?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I really don't like the idea of a flat decrease in damage for WJC.

What if martial attack damage started at slightly less than tab damage but increased with each successive martial attack?

e: I don't think the decision should be whether to use martial attacks. I think it should be which ones to use and which directions to move.

SteelNeuron
Feb 23, 2017
I think you guys might be overreacting a bit at the possible change to whirlwind. The idea would be to up slow chance together with the damage decrease, and a 80% doesn't immediately make it useless. It would just be a bit more specialized (and push you a bit further towards using wall jump and lunge when it lands).

I don't intend for whirlwind to be ever worse than tab. It could do with some specialization however, as it is just strictly superior now.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Died of a heart attack?

edit: yeah, it was a staff of air!

weirdly chilly pussy fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 8, 2017

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

Died of a heart attack?

Were you using an elemental staff? There's a longstanding bug that causes the extra damage to be invisible when the main attack does no damage. Might also be possible if it dies of poison?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
How do you get around the "websocket connection failed" thing, I can't seem to access crawl on my school's wifi. Which is dumb because I have to wait an hour for my ride and I want to play dang crawl.

Edit: I can get the Australia, German, and Canadian servers to work fine but not berotato and the others.

Edit2: I thought it had to do with the 8080 at the end of the address but nope, germany has that and it works fine. Wtf. At least the canadian server is not laggy, I can play on that one

Darth Windu fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 8, 2017

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I've been testing as an HoWn on CAO.

My big issue is the posts on the tavern are mostly worthless balance posts, and it's hard to find a detailed writeup of the god. The info in the game is good under the powers tab.

My issue is, what does Whirlwind do for me as an axe user? What's my incentive to use it? What's the point of my using wall jump or whirlwind to get cleave when I ALREADY FRIGGING HAVE CLEAVE?

I guess I am saying the god totally sucks as an axe user. I love the god and the powers are really cool but with an axe I'm hurting myself using them. Usually I am just wasting time doing a special move when I can hit faster than 1.0 with cleave.

Simplest fix would be each attack cleaves or to give moves with axes a slaying bonus. It needs something. At the moment the god is useless to axe users when two of the major melee races (HO,DD) use axes almost exclusively. Duplicating cleave on 2 of 3 main powers makes axes completely inferior to any other weapon choice.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 8, 2017

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Sounds like we need a race with better sword apts. elves are traditionally good at swords maybe we can make some sort of superior elf...upper elf? High elf? Something like that

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

SteelNeuron posted:

Thoughts?

#1 - good and cool, all for it.

#2 - lol no, don't randomly nerf council god by making anything over leather give you shoutitis. What is your goal here, to take a fun god and make it tedius and miserable?

Like, hmm people seem to enjoy this new combat that isn't confined to corridors only, what if we made it pretty much impossible to not get mobbed and ruined the players' mobility (the main part of what makes this god fun) by filling every space with enemies because the player dared USE the powers council god gives!!

What is your goal with adding shoutitis to crawlgod if you wear ringmail or something? What problem are you trying to solve except 'people are having fun'?

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Araganzar posted:

I've been testing as an HoWn on CAO.

My big issue is the posts on the tavern are mostly worthless balance posts, and it's hard to find a detailed writeup of the god. The info in the game is good under the powers tab.

My issue is, what does Whirlwind do for me as an axe user? What's my incentive to use it? What's the point of my using wall jump or whirlwind to get cleave when I ALREADY FRIGGING HAVE CLEAVE?

I guess I am saying the god totally sucks as an axe user. I love the god and the powers are really cool but with an axe I'm hurting myself using them. Usually I am just wasting time doing a special move when I can hit faster than 1.0 with cleave.

Simplest fix would be each attack cleaves or to give moves with axes a slaying bonus. It needs something. At the moment the god is useless to axe users when two of the major melee races (HO,DD) use axes almost exclusively. Duplicating cleave on 2 of 3 main powers makes axes completely inferior to any other weapon choice.

Whirlwind does several things that axes can't do:
    1. Attack while moving, you sometimes want to move during combat. Moreover if you're closing the distance and not moving around a target it lets you attack sooner than normal, it has a sort of "spear" reaching effect.
    2. Synergizes with serpent's lash, tabbing does not
    3. Synergizes with heaven on earth

In general, as an axe user if you want to maximize your cleave you're more prone to getting yourself surrounded and unable to finish the job and whirlwind+walljumps provide a good (if not situational) escape option, specially coupled with serpent's lash.

That said, I think it'd be useful if martial arts moves and their effects were more transparent in terms of damage and the rate at which they trigger their various effects; that in itself would help people better understand when it's a good idea to prioritize one thing over the other.

e: also I completely disagree that the god sucks as an axe user, it's probably one of the better weapons because it facilitates getting in and out of situations where you can make the most out of cleave

apple fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 8, 2017

ironypolice
Oct 22, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I really don't like the idea of a flat decrease in damage for WJC.

What if martial attack damage started at slightly less than tab damage but increased with each successive martial attack?

e: I don't think the decision should be whether to use martial attacks. I think it should be which ones to use and which directions to move.

How about something like a 2-3 turn cooldown on whirlwind, maybe with a slight damage buff?

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't
re: WJC

I think that additional noise depending on the move and body armour type is a good idea. I've played WJC on stabbers and it worked very well, so I wouldn't want to lose that.

Also thought a bit about potential rule changes for walljump. I think the following restriction is the most interesting one: you have to be next to at least one enemy *after* the jump. With this rule, it also makes sense to apply Cool Stuff to the jump. I know that SteelNeuon wants walljump for fleeing purposes, but that's the part of the god I dislike most. Fleeing should be expensive. As in: cost piety. For example, allowing arbitrary walljumps during the Heaven effect would be fine with me.

dpeg fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 8, 2017

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

dpeg posted:

Also thought a bit about potential rule changes for walljump. I think the following restriction is the most interesting one: you have to be next to at least one enemy *after* the jump. With this rule, it also makes sense to apply Cool Stuff to the jump.

The only acceptable Cool Stuff after that kind of change is a flying DDT to a monster after the walljump

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

dpeg posted:

re: WJC

I think that additional noise depending on the move and body armour type is a good idea. I've played WJC on stabbers and it worked very well, so I wouldn't want to lose that.

How does this work? Abusing Spriggan speed to gain extra Lunges? Using Lunge to stab? Not sure what the synergy is here.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
e: misread

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't
About WJC as a stab-supporting god:

LogicNinja posted:

How does this work? Abusing Spriggan speed to gain extra Lunges? Using Lunge to stab? Not sure what the synergy is here.
With lunge, you get to stab a sleeping monster one step earlier. That's already huge in itself. Moreover, one of the martial attacks can confuse monsters, so that's another stabbing opportunity. The double-move attack (Serpent's Lash) can make you stab faster, too. Under the Heavenly Clouds, you get a slaying bonus which is most relevant for quick weapons with low base damage.

But theory aside, I had a lot of fun with my OpAs^W.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

LogicNinja posted:

Stabbing lunges are strong, especially with EH.

• Locked thread