Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ace of Aces posted:

I've heard people reference the "It was written by children!" thing before but I've never seen an actual source for it in a Pokemon game, so I've always assumed it was just fanon people were taking as truth.

I think it mostly comes from the first game, where Oak gives you the Pokedex and asks you to catch everything you can to help fill it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

WarpedLichen posted:

Not really, unless you think things like Diglet, Garchomp and Onix look like diggers.

As others have said, only Diglet's head is visible. In the Pokemon Stadium games Onix was shown being able to rotate any segment of its body independently, and the Pokedex mentions that its body smoothens out as it ages, so I'm pretty sure that it's supposed to dig by spinning its segments around like a drill.

And not all ground type Pokemon are necessarily supposed to dig around in the ground, as there are ground types that are just associated with mud.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Randalor posted:

Those aren't bad names/concepts for fan pokemon. Considering pokemon follow the logic of "Blue=Water or Ice" and cherenkov radiation is supposed to glow blue, Ice/Poison actually works for a "nuclear pokemon". Plus the puns aren't bad.

Eh, a Chernobyl reference is a bit off-color for a pokemon game. Change the name of the evolved form (Cherenkold?) and they work splendidly. The fact that they're the meltdown pokemon is a wonderful pun.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Oh good, people are talking about burrowing snakes, I have an excuse to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz2opOBqClo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXvxaBYRMLM

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

KataraniSword posted:

It's a cheap, off-the-cuff explanation as to why pokedex entries can be contradictory or downright violate every known law of physics.

In other words, it's people overthinking the lore and expecting it to be coherent.

pokemon doesn't have lore, it has crayon drawings

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

turn off the TV posted:

And not all ground type Pokemon are necessarily supposed to dig around in the ground, as there are ground types that are just associated with mud.

like swampert, one of my favorites!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bluhman posted:

The head is at least, but for all we know Diglett could be a gigantic drill or some kind of mole-like body beneath the dome head.

Or something creepier

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Ace of Aces posted:

I've heard people reference the "It was written by children!" thing before but I've never seen an actual source for it in a Pokemon game, so I've always assumed it was just fanon people were taking as truth.

i mean, you are playing a child, and presumably writing all these blurbs in the pokedex since it seems like some sort of junior science 'go document every animal that lives here' experiment, so the source is 'what you are doing in every pokemon game'

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If pokedex entries were real, Pokemon world would be the most horrifying fictional universe

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I assumed Oak (Elm, Birch, etc etc etc) just already wrote out all the information available and "filling out the pokedex" works like the anime where it gives explorers a funucational goal

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

rannum posted:

I assumed Oak (Elm, Birch, etc etc etc) just already wrote out all the information available and "filling out the pokedex" works like the anime where it gives explorers a funucational goal

i think the usual line is that they're too old to do it themselves and that's why they're sending this youngster, kind of more tells me they want you to do something for science rather than just to motivate our heroes

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
If Pokedex entries were real then India, or at least Indian Elephants, exist in the pokemon world. Which begs the question of why we can't capture an Indian Elephant.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Unknown Quantity posted:

If Pokedex entries were real then India, or at least Indian Elephants, exist in the pokemon world. Which begs the question of why we can't capture an Indian Elephant.

There hasn't been a game set in poke-India yet. Duh.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Unknown Quantity posted:

Same reason you can't capture Cut trees or long grass. :shrug:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Quantum Toast posted:

Same reason you can't capture Cut trees or long grass. :shrug:

Because it's not sentient or self-mobile?

Oh, wait.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Gyra_Solune posted:

i think the usual line is that they're too old to do it themselves and that's why they're sending this youngster, kind of more tells me they want you to do something for science rather than just to motivate our heroes

but only 2 of the professors are actually old
unless we're talking in RPG age terms here

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

'This information about a monster I stuff into a tiny ball doesn't many sense with the laws of physics, the game must be actively lying to me' is such a weird conclusion to draw.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
You'd figure that an actual scientific database of pokemon would have info on a lot more stuff, plus there's the issue of the ever-present legendary pokemon, but it really just comes down to liking the idea that little kids are writing the descriptions.

It's a cute idea and therefore very good in pokemon, a series all about making cute things bludgeon each other to unconsciousness

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm now imagining a world where pokedex entries are written in the style of scientific journals.
"A post-graduate reading level is required to play this game' written on the back of the case.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think in sun/moon it's rotom writing the descriptions, which is why they're all hosed up and weird

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm liking this LP.

Also this thread is getting me curious about getting the new Pokémon game, but I heard that Nintendo made an upgraded version of the 3ds, and all their new games will require that version (Including Sun & Moon). Did I just mishear this news? Cause I'd much rather not have to buy a new 3ds when the one I have still works fine.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm liking this LP.

Also this thread is getting me curious about getting the new Pokémon game, but I heard that Nintendo made an upgraded version of the 3ds, and all their new games will require that version (Including Sun & Moon). Did I just mishear this news? Cause I'd much rather not have to buy a new 3ds when the one I have still works fine.

Nope, Sun/Moon run on the original 3DS.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm liking this LP.

You misheard. There are a handful of eshop games that require the new 3ds, including SNES VC oddly enough, but as far as I know it's not required for any full-price games. It'll make some look better or easier to play, like Monster Hunter or Hyrule Warriors, but afaik the only improvement in Pokemon is framerate in a few scenes.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Its also unlikely to happen now that nintendo just released their new handheld line. Any games not already in development for the 3ds are going to be produced for the switch now.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
And there is another good LP that I am following

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
The framerate'll chug like a madman in any situation where there's more than two pokemon onscreen (particularly if it has to render weather effects), but Sun and Moon are fully playable on a standard 3DS.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Classy Hydra posted:

The framerate'll chug like a madman in any situation where there's more than two pokemon onscreen (particularly if it has to render weather effects), but Sun and Moon are fully playable on a standard 3DS.

Not as bad as the horde battles in XY, though. I swear that dropped it to single digits sometimes.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

PeaceDiner posted:

Nope, Sun/Moon run on the original 3DS.

Note, they run, but not as well. My wife and I played opposite versions of this game simultaneously, me on a new 3DS and her on an old one, and her machine chugged almost intolerably during totem pokemon fights.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

It's a memory thing in both the case of "why does Sun/Moon chug" and "why is SNES VC only on new 3DS". Virtual Console prides itself on being as close to machine-level emulation as possible, and that eats up a lot of RAM. Likewise, Sun/Moon's battle algorithms were designed with that higher output in mind so things like the battle animations aren't as optimized as they could be.

Sun/Moon is perfectly playable on the oldschool 3DS, as are most games - the only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head are Xenoblade and Binding of Isaac Rebirth (I'm sure there's a handful of others, but it's still the outlier as opposed to the expectation.)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Classy Hydra posted:

well, hey, it shares something with pokemon uranium at least

but in uranium's case there's even less reason for it to do that

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Hyrule Warriors is technically on old 3DS but it is unplayable. It's effectively a New 3DS title.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

i mean, you are playing a child, and presumably writing all these blurbs in the pokedex since it seems like some sort of junior science 'go document every animal that lives here' experiment, so the source is 'what you are doing in every pokemon game'

I always figured the implication was that the Pokedex automatically records and organizes what it sees Pokemon doing. That's why it's always remarked on as being incredibly high tech and why the professors always send out kids to do it.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm now imagining a world where pokedex entries are written in the style of scientific journals.
"A post-graduate reading level is required to play this game' written on the back of the case.

No need to imagine.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Begemot posted:

You misheard. There are a handful of eshop games that require the new 3ds, including SNES VC oddly enough, but as far as I know it's not required for any full-price games. It'll make some look better or easier to play, like Monster Hunter or Hyrule Warriors, but afaik the only improvement in Pokemon is framerate in a few scenes.

There's one full-price game that will just completely refuse to run on O3DS: Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.

You can technically run the game at O3DS clock speeds on an N3DS using homebrew but it's completely unplayable.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Shugojin posted:

Having strong puns is 90+% of Pokemon design anyway.

yeah. You got a good pun going, you probably have the seed of a good design. I wish I could actually draw worth poo poo, because I've had several good ideas. My favorite is Galapagross, a Rock/Poison Galapagos tortoise that oozes poison from its skin.

for shits and giggles a year or so ago I worked on an entire region complete with its own regional Pokedex. I drew the map in crayon. It was Poke-Texas (called Delastro), and was shaped like my vague remembrance of the shape of Texas, but rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise. I don't remember all the dumb concepts I came up with, but my favorite was a family of law enforcement dogs, base form Puputy, evolved form Sherruff.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Spatula City posted:

yeah. You got a good pun going, you probably have the seed of a good design. I wish I could actually draw worth poo poo, because I've had several good ideas. My favorite is Galapagross, a Rock/Poison Galapagos tortoise that oozes poison from its skin.

This thread has been making me idly brainstorm fake Pokemon (ants, because bless you, ants), and I swear to God, a decent name that's both somewhat clever and largely self-explanatory (i.e. not Tofurang) is the hardest part.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Endorph posted:

i think in sun/moon it's rotom writing the descriptions, which is why they're all hosed up and weird
It was such a huge missed opportunity for them not to have Rotom itself in the Alola dex with an entry that's about nothing but how cool and awesome Rotom is.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Spatula City posted:

it's definitely a solid idea. hell, sage even uses a similar root for their own take that goes in a different direction entirely for a psychic/rock line

chelonite:

galaxagos:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Galaxagos is tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Believe it or not, the competitive pokemon scene actually came up with some decent fan pokemon. Since it's the competitive pokemon scene, they came up with a gameplay gimmick and typing first and then designed around that, but it actually led to some creative stuff.

Tomohawk is a flying/fighting type that seems pretty believable and has good art and a good sprite.

Malaconda is a little basic and the biblical reference makes it hard to buy but the sprite is good and I like the concept.

I just like Mollux because a lava lamp pokemon is a good idea.

Of course, for every good idea, there's

Just a shrimp that lights up. On the other hand even its sprite is decent. And 'krilowatt' is a fantastic pun.

• Locked thread