Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Italy is the country where a politician named Mussolini can still somehow be successful.

Now you might be thinking "well I don't see why an unfortunate surname should be an obstacle" but no, she is the granddaughter of *that* Mussolini.

Now you might be thinking "well that's certainly unfortunate but we should really judge her by her political platform rather than..." and let me just interrupt you to point out how her political platform is fascism and she's been an elected member first of parliament since 2008 and then European parliament since 2014.

That's Italy.

Nicely summed up.

However, please bear in mind that for a certain generation the Mussolini years were the best time of their lives with unprecedented social welfare for poor people. My late grandma would always get starry-eyed when reminiscing about her school days in the thirties. All four of my grandparents thought the experience of living in Mussolini's Italy was far better than their latter experience of life in communist Yugoslavia. So there's a lot of nostalgia in play. I'm not trying to downplay everything that's wrong with fascism though, which is, well, pretty much everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

L'Angleterre
Le Royaume Uni
La Grande Bretagne

loving UK/England/GB making everything difficult as always

edit: I always thought it was "le Madagascar"

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Why don't Oman or Taiwan get articles?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

twoday posted:

Also Haiti, Israel, and Djibouti

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Orange Devil posted:

Italy is the country where a politician named Mussolini can still somehow be successful.

Now you might be thinking "well I don't see why an unfortunate surname should be an obstacle" but no, she is the granddaughter of *that* Mussolini.

Now you might be thinking "well that's certainly unfortunate but we should really judge her by her political platform rather than..." and let me just interrupt you to point out how her political platform is fascism and she's been an elected member first of parliament since 2008 and then European parliament since 2014.

That's Italy.

Imelda Marcos is a congressman in the Philippines. Bongbong Marcos is a senator.

I'm surprised Keiko Fujimori isn't in charge of Peru

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

mods change my name to Bongbong Marcos please?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

HookShot posted:

L'Angleterre
Le Royaume Uni
La Grande Bretagne

loving UK/England/GB making everything difficult as always
Don't forget l'Écosse, le pays de Galles and l'Irlande du Nord.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

drat, the Ytterby Mine is up in the Stockholm area? I've been assuming it's in the Ytterby outside Gothenburg where my bus terminates. :(

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

khwarezm posted:

Especially against Luigi 'all my men are cowardly traitors who must be brutalized to learn to love Italy' cadorna.

Except it's Conrad von Hötzendorf vs Cadorna...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

twoday posted:

because it sounds weird

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

my girlfriend is Legos posted:

drat, the Ytterby Mine is up in the Stockholm area? I've been assuming it's in the Ytterby outside Gothenburg where my bus terminates. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6lGe5jgZgI

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

That's Italy.

This is Italy.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Yes, I was just wrong about which Ytterby had the mine. I looked it up when I saw the map.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Except it's Conrad von Hötzendorf vs Cadorna...

Actually it was Svetozar Borojević von Bojna vs. Cadorna...

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
About articles I would like to add that nearly every language I know of refers to "The Netherlands" in the plural, but in Dutch it is just the singular "Nederland."

This is a holdover from the times of the Dutch Republic, which was also referred to as the "United Provinces of the Netherlands."

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Our precious provinces are no longer united :geert:

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

twoday posted:

About articles I would like to add that nearly every language I know of refers to "The Netherlands" in the plural, but in Dutch it is just the singular "Nederland."

This is a holdover from the times of the Dutch Republic, which was also referred to as the "United Provinces of the Netherlands."

Y'all are called Olanda in Japanese. Holland is Holanto.

There's a bunch of confused Japanese people on Yahoo Answers Japan asking why they call you Olanda when everyone else says "The Netherlands"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Charles Get-Out posted:

There's a bunch of confused Japanese people on Yahoo Answers Japan asking why they call you Olanda when everyone else says "The Netherlands"
Hopefully people help them out by saying everyone calls it Holland. :)

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Charles Get-Out posted:

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holanda

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Charles Get-Out posted:

I don't understand why in TYOOL 2017 in our global economy and information age we can't simply called Japan Nippon and The Netherlands Nederland. If people don't want to look up how to type an ñ we can just spell stuff phonetically. Let's sell some new maps people!

Edit: for fun, what are some countries that English speakers would have the most difficulty pronouncing phonetically?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

So all the bad countries are masculine, essentially.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

davebo posted:

I don't understand why in TYOOL 2017 in our global economy and information age we can't simply called Japan Nippon and The Netherlands Nederland. If people don't want to look up how to type an ñ we can just spell stuff phonetically. Let's sell some new maps people!

Edit: for fun, what are some countries that English speakers would have the most difficulty pronouncing phonetically?

For some time now, Ivory Coast has been making a little fuss about how their name is actually République de Côte d'Ivoire and would everyone please call them exactly that, instead of translations? (Everyone's still using translations.)

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

If anybody wants to know more about the clown car that was WW1 this youtube channel is really good.

Choice videos about the guys we're talking about :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efaq1_yc61A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqqOzSEfIak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE8-_GAc7g4&t=1s

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

davebo posted:

I'm still not entirely sure how one is supposed to say Magyarorszag. I vaguely remember from my history of central europe classes that is is like moj-jors-jy or something

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I'm still not entirely sure how one is supposed to say Magyarorszag. I vaguely remember from my history of central europe classes that is is like moj-jors-jy or something

The wikipedia article on the country has a recording right at the beginning.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

davebo posted:

België

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Edit: ^^ Bel-hee-ay!

Powered Descent posted:

For some time now, Ivory Coast has been making a little fuss about how their name is actually République de Côte d'Ivoire and would everyone please call them exactly that, instead of translations? (Everyone's still using translations.)

It's still one less syllable United States of America, but I'd bee happy to write it on our maps as Repoobleek de Coat Deevwaah if we can just call them RCD or RCI in casual conversation. (You guys never come up in casual conversation anyway.)

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Hey I never said we had to get the accents perfect. I'm sure if a Hungarian heard me refer to Major Orsag they'd know what I meant and then quietly judge me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powered Descent posted:

Ivory Coast needs to change their names to something that is entirely different.

Even Belarus and Kiribati are enough different than “Byelorussia” and “Gilbert [Islands]” to get people on board.

Or they could just declare independence. It seems to be enough for Timor‐Leste.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographical_renaming#List_of_significant_name_changes

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

I guess it's always good practice to look to the Portuguese when asking why the Japanese do a naming thing.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

davebo posted:

The United States of America has no official language so I hope you're ready to say it in 27 languages whenever you mention us.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 7, 2017

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

davebo posted:

Edit: ^^ Bel-hee-ay!
\bǝl.ɣjǝ\

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Peanut President posted:

The United States of America has no official language so I hope you're ready to say it in 27 languages whenever you mention us.

I smell another Executive Order brewing!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Peanut President posted:

That's like when you say you don't have a state religion.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hrvatska

Shqipëria

The Balkans have you covered for hard-to-pronounce country names.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

... entirely accurate?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

We can't even say English names right, half the time. How the gently caress does a name like 'Cholmondeley' end up being two syllables anyways?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

davebo posted:

Well first you'd need all those countries to change their official English (and Spanish, and Hindi, and whatever) names. The Czechs can't even get people to call it Czechia instead of the Czech Republic after like a year, so good luck with that happening and getting respected.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, which one is it?

also found this while looking for that, which is interesting

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

"Modern civilizations"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m the overly detailed Philippines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU