Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I thought Human Resource Machine was a release title, but I can't find it in the eShop. Is it not released yet?

I think it got delayed. It is a fun game, though, played it on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

How can Nintendo not be offering up money to make sure a pair of Pokemon games doesn't hit the Switch, for real.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Okay, I am an idiot and electricity is basically magic to me.

Could I charge (however slowly) the Switch with the USB C charger I got with my Nexus 6P phone? The cable is not third party or anything.
Could I charge my phone from the Switch AC adapter and have a reasonable assumption that it won't catch on fire?

I'm trying to only take one charger to work with me. If I could leave my Switch charger in the dock all the time and get a trickle from my phone charger, that'd be okay.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

LethalGeek posted:

How can Nintendo not be offering up money to make sure a pair of Pokemon games doesn't hit the Switch, for real.

You mean the same company that didn't see "AR/GPS Pokemon phone game" being popular enough to develop on their own and then lost out on most of the profits to a personal info scammer operation?

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 8, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Could I charge (however slowly) the Switch with the USB C charger I got with my Nexus 6P phone? The cable is not third party or anything.
Could I charge my phone from the Switch AC adapter and have a reasonable assumption that it won't catch on fire?

I'm trying to only take one charger to work with me. If I could leave my Switch charger in the dock all the time and get a trickle from my phone charger, that'd be okay.

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/08/not-even-googles-stock-nexus-chargers-are-safe-from-the-usb-c-curse/

I wouldn't

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Any word on when the eShops are next updating?

edit: Never mind. Forgot there was an eShop thread.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 8, 2017

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You mean the same company that didn't see "AR/GPS Pokemon phone game" being popular enough to develop on their own and then lost out on most of the profits to a personal info scammer operation?

Sucks too because Super Mario Run is one of the few mobile app games I'd ever be willing to buy and it doesn't freemium scam me. Pokemon Go was a mistake.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I tried Fast RMX local 2 player racing, and it works really well. The game still runs smooth and looks pretty, and using one joycon as a mini gamepad is so drat cute. It's going to be very cool for Mario Kart 8 team battles. Having the screen split vertically is ideal for a racing game where you don't need a wide field of view, so you're not having to squint or have your nose almost touching the screen.

I was able to play online multiplayer races at the motel, so my connectivity issue at home must be on my side. This seems to happen with only one out of 50 online games for me.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Everybody go home and reboot your home router. It's a piece of poo poo and it sucks and is probably causing you more issues than you think.

(Nintendo's Wifi is probably still weak)

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

parallelodad posted:

I just don't know if the system can overcome Capcom's laziness of not wanting to develop HD assets. Same for Gamefreak.

Gamefreak has HD assets! They're even used in the 3DS version! That's why there's a framrate drop during battles with 3D on!

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

ChocNitty posted:

I tried Fast RMX local 2 player racing, and it works really well. The game still runs smooth and looks pretty, and using one joycon as a mini gamepad is so drat cute. It's going to be very cool for Mario Kart 8 team battles. Having the screen split vertically is ideal for a racing game where you don't need a wide field of view, so you're not having to squint or have your nose almost touching the screen.

I was able to play online multiplayer races at the motel, so my connectivity issue at home must be on my side. This seems to happen with only one out of 50 online games for me.

I played using a single joycon today and it made me want to get these. Wasn't a big fan of using L3 for boost or trying to dig my fingers into the SR/SL buttons to lean into turns. But I did better than I expected, especially being out of practice in these fast race type of games/FZero clones.

Actually, screw it, just bought them since they will be more comfortable for Snipperclip action and are apparently easier to deal with than those straps.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 8, 2017

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Sucks too because Super Mario Run is one of the few mobile app games I'd ever be willing to buy and it doesn't freemium scam me. Pokemon Go was a mistake.

I don't imagine they were sad, but imagine the feeling Nintendo bosses must have had when they started to realize they could have had another wii-tier cash infusion if they had come up with that in house.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Does anyone else get a buzzing noise when they have headphones plugged in? Its the same charging from the 3 pin adapter, via the dock or on battery only and its driving me mad.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

FireMrshlBill posted:

I played using a single joycon today and it made me want to get these. Wasn't a big fan of using L3 for boost or trying to dig my fingers into the SR/SL buttons to lean into turns. But I did better than I expected, especially being out of practice in these fast race type of games/FZero clones.

Actually, screw it, just bought them since they will be more comfortable for Snipperclip action and are apparently easier to deal with than those straps.

I will definitely be getting those in the future

WanderingKid posted:

Does anyone else get a buzzing noise when they have headphones plugged in? Its the same charging from the 3 pin adapter, via the dock or on battery only and its driving me mad.

When volume is off or very low, right? This happens with lots of my devices.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

LethalGeek posted:

"We're not going to make a game for a brand new platform with a massive increase in game scope and direction that only has a marketshare of a few million at best."

Pokemon X/Y didn't come out until 2.5 years after the initial 3DS launch. They just made more money than god with Sun/Moon back 4 months ago. We're 2+ years from a mainline Pokemon game on the Switch.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Phone posted:

"We're not going to make a game for a brand new platform with a massive increase in game scope and direction that only has a marketshare of a few million at best."

Pokemon X/Y didn't come out until 2.5 years after the initial 3DS launch. They just made more money than god with Sun/Moon back 4 months ago. We're 2+ years from a mainline Pokemon game on the Switch.

Making Pokemon Stars also for the switch but with hd graphics would be really nice, especially if console sales continue to do well, and it'd be a good second year game to push holiday sales for next year of the console.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My dream Pokemon game is an action adventure title when you directly control the Pokemon in an arena fighter.
They already accept each Pokemon only having a few animations and match them best with whatever move they have.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Phone posted:

Sun/Moon probably benefited in a massive way from Pokemon Go's popularity.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Drunk Tomato posted:

When volume is off or very low, right? This happens with lots of my devices.

It has nothing to do with headphone volume. It is always the same volume (even when the headphone volume is 0%). It sounds like the headphone out isn't shielded to me. I just wondered if mine is defective or if this is just the way it is.

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin

WanderingKid posted:

This is going to sound insane, but my headphones were crackling and I realized that I didn't fully insert the headphone plug into the jack - which required more force than I expected. This is probably not the issue you're having, but might help someone else who sucks at plugging round pegs into round holes like me.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Yeah unfortunately that doesn't work for me. Guess its just my Switch. Well that sucks.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Macintosh HD posted:

Sun/Moon probably benefited in a massive way from Pokemon Go's popularity.

It benefited from having an install base of almost 64 million consoles.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Was able to pick one up today, Brickseek did not let me down, someone canceled a pre-order.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

WanderingKid posted:

Yep, kinda sounds like the fan causing noise on the audio output? Reminds me of using headphones on the GB/GBC/GBA with the low level hum that headphones with any amount of bass would pick up (so stick with $0.99 earbuds and it goes away). They pretty much fixed it with the DS and 3DS, but brought it back I guess as a "retro feature"... jk

I actually noticed it less when I use my nicer ATMH50's than I do using earbuds. My Sony Vita earbuds (which are great quality for $12 by the way if you want something with an in-line mic mute switch for cheap) isn't as bad as my PDP BoTW special edition earbuds they released with the console, those are more evident. Luckily the hum/buzz volume level stays the same no matter the actual volume level, so just turning it up helps block it out. Maybe something to do with headphones with higher impedance not being as affected? Which is weird since they usually have more definition but take more to drive I guess.

It is my biggest gripe with the system since I plan to lay in bed and play Zelda after my wife passes out, so will be using headphones.

BTW, the PDP BOTW earbuds are really comfortable and sound good despite picking up on hum/buzz from the system more than other headphones it seems.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
This is going to be oddly specific but a few people asked about it, so I could shed some light.

Some were asking if anyone else has their left joycon "move" slightly if pushed up while locked in the system. I confirmed mine does as well. It's a very slight amount. People were wondering if it was the controller or the console to blame.

I just got a new set of joycons and you cannot move the left one at all when it's in the system. So it is definitely not the system, but the controller.

It is entirely possible that using those stupid things that have the L and R extenders on them caused it, because I put one on backward and it was almost impossible to get out. Maybe I loosened something up a bit by doing that, no idea. It's really negligible but I thought other people asking about it would be happy to know.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

This is going to be oddly specific but a few people asked about it, so I could shed some light.

Some were asking if anyone else has their left joycon "move" slightly if pushed up while locked in the system. I confirmed mine does as well. It's a very slight amount. People were wondering if it was the controller or the console to blame.

I just got a new set of joycons and you cannot move the left one at all when it's in the system. So it is definitely not the system, but the controller.

It is entirely possible that using those stupid things that have the L and R extenders on them caused it, because I put one on backward and it was almost impossible to get out. Maybe I loosened something up a bit by doing that, no idea. It's really negligible but I thought other people asking about it would be happy to know.

Ya, if you look closely, it is just a small piece of plastic keeping it in. So easy to wear out or damage Id assume. I also put those stupid straps on backwards and was worried I screwed it up (was my left joycon as well). One time I knocked the left joycon up the rail about 1/4 way while playing. I was worried it was broken already but I think I just didnt snap it in all the way because I couldn't reproduce it. Even that is worrisome with the amount of pressure holding the console up on the other joycon.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

FireMrshlBill posted:

I actually noticed it less when I use my nicer ATMH50's than I do using earbuds. My Sony Vita earbuds (which are great quality for $12 by the way if you want something with an in-line mic mute switch for cheap) isn't as bad as my PDP BoTW special edition earbuds they released with the console, those are more evident. Luckily the hum/buzz volume level stays the same no matter the actual volume level, so just turning it up helps block it out. Maybe something to do with headphones with higher impedance not being as affected? Which is weird since they usually have more definition but take more to drive I guess.

Huh, interesting. I'm using my production headphones (UM Pro 30s). I'm pretty high risk for noise induced hearing loss so I keep the volume really low most of the time.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

WanderingKid posted:

Huh, interesting. I'm using my production headphones (UM Pro 30s). I'm pretty high risk for noise induced hearing loss so I keep the volume really low most of the time.

Ya, those are definitely better than my ATMH50's. I'll have to do another sound test, I may have just not noticed as much for another reason but it may still be present. I'll do a test tomorrow with all the different headphones I have and see if it can make a difference. I may be wrong, but I have a feeling it is from that fan inside.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Hey Switch Thread

Vote Rusty as #1 gaming dog.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812318&pagenumber=1&perpage=40 Vote Rusty

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
e: wrong thread

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

There's some intensely strong competition among these dogs

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sun/Moon has a godawful interface that took everything awesome about X/Y's interface and replaced it with the Rotom which, while cute, is a terrible map with a massive "bezel" that eats up maybe half the lower screen's real estate. All other features, ones that used to be easily accessible via the touch screen, are now sequestered to the start menu.

A Switch port is the only explanation for such a horrible change. Losing the second screen is no big lose since the Rotom map sucks anyways, and everything else is accessed via Start like the old games. Unless game freak just decided to make the UI suck for laughs, it seems intentionally done to make a Switch port easier on them. I mean, a Switch port of Pokemon Sun/Moon and maybe Smash Deluxe would make for an amazing holiday line up alongside Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the switch is cool and good but rusty needs to finish his laundry

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

So in the future when there are tasty Japanese games, you just make an account for their region and buy and download it?

I remember way back in 2008, I got a copy of Phantasy Star 0 which was a japanese only game for the DS at the time. All of us western players figured out what each menu did, by trial and error, and memorized it, until we eventually had a grasp on the whole game without being able to read poo poo. But it was worth it for those awesome co-op sessions.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Inzombiac posted:

I have been using my Pixel XL charger with the Switch for several days and it seems to be working fine.

My "I am not an electrical engineer" understanding is USB devices will attempt to draw the amount of power they need, and the USB power supply being drawn from will supply that much power or less (depending on the power supply), but not more.

Thus, USB devices may charge slowly if an insufficient power supply is attached, but shouldn't overcharge because (1) they won't attempt to draw too much and (2) correctly made power supplies will not supply more power than they can safely deliver.

Of course, all this goes out the window if you buy cheap knockoff parts. Benson Leung has proven many USB Type C cables were made with incorrect hardware (either to save money or out of ignorance).

My assumption is that Google's official power supplies are compliant. I've had no explosions so far.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ChocNitty posted:

So in the future when there are tasty Japanese games

There's already tasty games now.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

alf_pogs posted:

the switch is cool and good but rusty needs to finish his laundry

Uh, yeah. loving lazy dog.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I was going to say that it's taking forever for the second shipment of Switches to go out, but then I realized it's only been 4(!) days since it was released, and I'm pretty sure most game stores around here don't get shipments on weekends. Sure hope this won't end up being another Wii situation where Nintendo makes like, 20 consoles for a whole country. :f5:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

he got my vote when i saw him touching a saturn and playing gamecube. he does look like a very good boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

gently caress I'm tempted to vote against my own dog.

• Locked thread