Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Crazycryodude posted:

Nuclear powered, railgun armed, 150k ton Yamato II will truly be a glorious sight

The railguns will fire nuclear warheads, of course.

The IJA will probably get jealous though. Can't let the IJN be the only ones responsible for nuclear deterrence. Maybe they could build some sort of giant, all-terrain bipedal walking tank, with a similar nuclear warhead launching railgun, or something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Crazycryodude posted:

The naval doctrines in this timeline are gonna be SO messed up. When are we gonna start mounting 16in guns on carriers?

I mean if it's a spinal mount, you can go a bit bigger than 16"...

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Wtf, wrong CL. You can't let all those ships escape!

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

Nuclear powered, railgun armed, 150k ton Yamato II will truly be a glorious sight

150kt? Meh.

Those are 16" turrets. 50x2 of them.
https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2015/08/25/the-ratte-of-the-seas-500-000-ton-japanese-dreadnought-project/

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

My favorite part of the whole design is that it still had torpedo tubes.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
42kt? gently caress me. Even if you had nuclear reactors that would be a challenge.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Did somebody say 500 kiloton battlecarrier?

(I'm the below deck 18" turrets)

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 7, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Rules the Waves - WWII Edition looking good!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Crazycryodude posted:

Did somebody say 500kt battlecarrier?

It's like a battleship collided with a catamaran aircraft carrier :stare:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

goatface posted:

42kt? gently caress me. Even if you had nuclear reactors that would be a challenge.

One of the funniest things I ever saw was, back when I played World of Warships, their official forums had a 'ship designer' guy who would make long threads about how essential it would be for the USN to make a nuclear reactor battleship.

Setting aside everything else about how stupid that idea is and for how many reasons, the real hilarity came in his insistence it would be most efficiently armed with 12 inch naval rifles for 'rate of fire' and 'weight saving'.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

KANEEEEDA!

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Night10194 posted:

One of the funniest things I ever saw was, back when I played World of Warships, their official forums had a 'ship designer' guy who would make long threads about how essential it would be for the USN to make a nuclear reactor battleship.

Setting aside everything else about how stupid that idea is and for how many reasons, the real hilarity came in his insistence it would be most efficiently armed with 12 inch naval rifles for 'rate of fire' and 'weight saving'.

I don't know if the basic premise is that silly. We have these insanely expensive carriers that haven't ever really been tested from a survivability standpoint at all. With naval railguns and directed energy weapons seemingly near future, a more hardened ship based around durability and missile defense/bombardment doesn't seem that crazy. Plus it had to be better than the ships were building without sacrificial anodes and no missiles or really weapons at all.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The problem with 12" guns is that someone else will mount 16s and hit you while you cant hit back.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Murgos posted:

The problem with 12" guns is that someone else will mount 16s and hit you while you cant hit back.

Yes, but the bigger problem with 12" is that your shells literally cannot penetrate the enemy ship's belt or deck and their shells will punch right through your ship.

Edit: It looks like a 12" and a 16" can reach out to the same exact ranges. The difference is the penetration issue ^^

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 7, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RZApublican posted:

It's like a battleship collided with a catamaran aircraft carrier :stare:

The Yamato and the Musashi serving as catamaran-pontoons for the Shinano flight-deck.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Murgos posted:

I would suggest mounting 18.1" guns would obviate that problem.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Velius posted:

I don't know if the basic premise is that silly. We have these insanely expensive carriers that haven't ever really been tested from a survivability standpoint at all.

The point of a SINKEX is rarely to test the weapons being used to sink the target. The USN has a LOT of survivability data.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Of CVN's though?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

Did somebody say 500 kiloton battlecarrier?

(I'm the below deck 18" turrets)

This is a three-way from that anime where the ships are anime girls, but in "realistic" form, right?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Crazycryodude posted:

Of CVN's though?

Not exactly CVNs but next best thing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_America_(CV-66)#Post_decommissioning_service
http://cvn78.com/page26/page26.html

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Coffeehitler posted:

This is a three-way from that anime where the ships are anime girls, but in "realistic" form, right?

Its about as realistic as Hitler's landships wunderwaffen concept so yes.

:argh: Grey. My blue balls

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Is anyone knowledgeable about the Shinano or wargamed what that ship could do?

The whole idea of the carrier seems neat, making a carrier around the Yamato battleship hull, but the thing got sunk before it did anything. I'm curious to what people's thoughts are about its effectiveness had it deployed earlier in the war, advantages/disadvantages, etc.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Donkringel posted:

Is anyone knowledgeable about the Shinano or wargamed what that ship could do?

The whole idea of the carrier seems neat, making a carrier around the Yamato battleship hull, but the thing got sunk before it did anything. I'm curious to what people's thoughts are about its effectiveness had it deployed earlier in the war, advantages/disadvantages, etc.

It would have been tough, but it carried very few planes and was a huge fuel hog.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Shinano was big, but it still couldn't operate as many planes as fleet carriers built from the ground-up as carriers, such as the Shokaku, or Soryu, or even Taiho-class carriers.

In an alternate universe, the Shinano would have been useful as a plane ferry: it could carry far more planes to shuttle them around in storage.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

In an alternate universe, the Shinano would have been useful as a plane ferry: it could carry far more planes to shuttle them around in storage.

I think one of the plans for it was tha tit would be a big mobile maintenance bay. It could haul a lot of planes, fix them up and give them out to other carriers or airfields.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Saint Celestine posted:

Yes, but the bigger problem with 12" is that your shells literally cannot penetrate the enemy ship's belt or deck and their shells will punch right through your ship.

Edit: It looks like a 12" and a 16" can reach out to the same exact ranges. The difference is the penetration issue ^^

You're thinking too small. These 12" shells would obviously be propelled by nuclear explosions.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The Pearl Run continues to be dangerous.

A rare Clunk!

Dammit.

Well hello dinner!

Let the feasting commence!

This is going to be one less invasion force.

Even the bad weather can't stop us!

And down they go!

The late Kates contribute. That ends the morning air attacks!

This is all of the the afternoon ones.....

An acceptable day.

Davy Jones is pleased.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Why did your TF withdraw? The ghost of mahan demands surface combat.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Presumably a task force set to air attack of sea forces withdraws from any enemy surface contact on a (very simple and stupid) "protect the carriers" directive that ignores the relative threat of the surface fleet being contacted. E.g., doesn't matter that Grey had battleships and destroyers (and cruisers?) in that TF, there was at least one carrier and the enemy group has at least one warship (I see three destroyers in the screenshot) so the order is to pull back.

I'm guessing, but that's approximately the level of obstinacy this game's interface seems to present to the player.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Presumably a task force set to air attack of sea forces withdraws from any enemy surface contact on a (very simple and stupid) "protect the carriers" directive that ignores the relative threat of the surface fleet being contacted. E.g., doesn't matter that Grey had battleships and destroyers (and cruisers?) in that TF, there was at least one carrier so the order is to pull back.

I'm guessing, but that's approximately the level of obstinacy this game's interface seems to present to the player.

Also unspoken in the previous question, how did this TF get within 24,000 yards?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ron Jeremy posted:

Also unspoken in the previous question, how did this TF get within 24,000 yards?

IJN_air_search_doctrine.txt

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes that. But also this is an ocean that tends to have randomly bad weather. In a pre-radar era it's totally plausible to blunder into a convoy you didn't previously spot due to thunderstorms.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Ron Jeremy posted:

Why did your TF withdraw? The ghost of mahan demands surface combat.

Obviously those three destroyers charged the IJN fleet and the fleet turned tail and ran.

That's just what IJN does when three destroyers come at it, it's a bug in their programming.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

TildeATH posted:

Obviously those three destroyers charged the IJN fleet and the fleet turned tail and ran.

That's just what IJN does when three destroyers come at it, it's a bug in their programming.
The devs are just going for realism.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
On one hand I kinda feel bad about how badly the AI is playing. On the other hand, you would probably need this level of utter carnage to give Japan a chance, so...

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
have the papers back home started calling for Nimitz to be sacked yet

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Presumably a task force set to air attack of sea forces withdraws from any enemy surface contact on a (very simple and stupid) "protect the carriers" directive that ignores the relative threat of the surface fleet being contacted. E.g., doesn't matter that Grey had battleships and destroyers (and cruisers?) in that TF, there was at least one carrier and the enemy group has at least one warship (I see three destroyers in the screenshot) so the order is to pull back.

The screenshot includes Ise or Hyuga (BB, tall superstructure and after mast, separated vertical funnel), Tone or Chikuma (CA, uppermost large ship with large raked funnel, four forward turrets, large boom on after mast), and one other heavy cruiser (lowermost large ship with two funnels, blocky superstructure, and three forward and two aft turrets).

7 March 1943

Italian torpedo boat Ciclone—you can probably guess by now—mined near Bizerte while rescuing survivors from another mined (merchant) ship in a field laid by HMS Abdiel.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Speaking of Taffy 3, in WW2 was there ever a horrifying amount of sinking that occurred for an invasion fleet like we are seeing? Battle Off Samar is the only thing I can think of and that was just a narrow dodge from disaster.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

This is correct.

Ron Jeremy posted:

The game's WEGO implementation breaks turns down into distinct phases of movement, then combat. There is also a notion of "reaction" movement that can happen. But in any case, it's an ordered set of steps that occur, not real-time spotting and reaction like you have in actual life, so while it works well overall sometimes you get weird stuff like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Donkringel posted:

Speaking of Taffy 3, in WW2 was there ever a horrifying amount of sinking that occurred for an invasion fleet like we are seeing? Battle Off Samar is the only thing I can think of and that was just a narrow dodge from disaster.

Uh that botched practice landing in England maybe.