Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Skellybones posted:

That really doesn't seem safe.

What's the worst that could happen? :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Isn't that the ending to Robin Hood: Men In Tights?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Man I'd heard bikini waxing was tough but :eyepop:

srs this is a fun act to photo as long as you're in a dark environment, 1/2 sec shutter and second curtain flash to fill and you're golden.

No flash here but you get the idea.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 6, 2017

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

drat how many women are doing this? And no injuries yet? Surely we should get some proper material for our thread soon.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

and you're golden.

More like golden spark shower :supaburn::dong:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Buttcoin purse posted:

drat how many women are doing this? And no injuries yet? Surely we should get some proper material for our thread soon.

This has been happening for several years near me, so probably much longer in NY/SF type areas.

It looks a lot more dangerous than it really is.

vvv Well I guess I should never underestimate stupidity in this thread.

hanales fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 6, 2017

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Buttcoin purse posted:

I know tell of at least one gal did the grinding on an actual metal crotch plate as opposed to the lower stomach plate that's usually used and the grinder skipped off into her inner thigh, got a nice scar and drat lucky it didn't cut any main pipes or cables :eek:

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Katosabi posted:

I need some advice regarding my current work situation. I work as a power equipment mechanic and we had a pallet of equipment collapse yesterday (in the area where a guy works, thankfully he went home early), which really shocked me into potentially reporting my business for unsafe practices. There's a laundry list of things I find completely wrong with the place: numerous electrical code violations, open 5 gallon buckets of gasoline in a storage shed behind our building, 2 stroke gas stored inside under the bench where we use the propane torch to melt the ends for starter rope, grinders without shields, leaks through the roof (one was through the ceiling fan in a back room), moving 20ft tall pallets of equipment with the forklift with others around. I'm sure I could come up with more if I thought about it, but that's just off the top of my head. We also wash off equipment with a pressure washer and have oil/fuel runoff that isn't contained.

My question is, what governing body would I be best with reporting anonymously to in California, CAL/OSHA or CARB? I'm not looking to bury the business, but to just reign in some of the lunacy we have going on, because the owner/manager doesn't seem to give a poo poo when I bring anything up to him.

you really should include Cal/OSHA among those you notify, since there are fairly clear current safety issues in addition to the past ones you've mentioned, and as someone else noted, you may save yourself or someone else an injury

not sure whether Cal/OSHA is an outlier but the typical OSH response is one or more citations for a few thousand dollars each, not facility shutdown

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

zedprime posted:

I thought air fines were serious business in California because smoggy LA is still in living memory. That is a violation could easily gut the working capital in a fly by night shop and at best your paychecks start coming in a month late.

Interned in paper manufacturing in California and the bit of hardware that adds lotion to tissues straight up had a hood for VOC recovery. Any failure to follow procedure around it was grounds for instant dismissal, which is unique in my experience for being the only no tolerance rule based on environmental issues instead of personal safety.

Yeah, California doesn't gently caress around with emissions. I had to go to a jobsite in California back in December to get a commercial burner in line before the whole boiler was marked unfit and had to be replaced entirely and this was a new installation. They also have their emissions measuring devices that they hit individual stacks with from the street, primarily concerned about NOx numbers.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I know tell of at least one gal did the grinding on an actual metal crotch plate as opposed to the lower stomach plate that's usually used and the grinder skipped off into her inner thigh, got a nice scar and drat lucky it didn't cut any main pipes or cables :eek:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Crossposting form the shipwreck thread since the dialogue is pretty OSHA. The El Faro bridge voice recorder was recently recovered from the wreck.

https://www.scribd.com/document/340858632/Voyage-Data-Recorder-NTSB-Audio-Transcript

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/timeline-to-tragedy-doomed-el-faros-final-hours/

quote:

CAPT
09:21:50.2 09:21:53.8 I know I know I agree.
3M
09:21:50.4 09:21:52.2 (the hurricane) would be great
CAPT
09:21:55.6 09:21:56.3 I agree.
3M
09:22:05.4 09:22:06.6 we're goin into it.
CAPT?
09:22:06.5 09:22:08.8 we're goin into the storm.
CAPT
09:22:12.0 09:22:13.8 I know it's runnin' * *
CAPT
09:22:14.8 09:22:17.1 I wouldn't have it any other way.

2M
01:40:04.5 01:40:33.7 [sound of quick laugh] usually people don't take the whole umm – uh –survival suit–safety meeting thing very seriously. then it's "yeah– whatever. it fits" but nobody actually sees to see if their survival suit fits. I think today would be a good day [sound of laugh] for –for – for the fire and boat drill – just be like – "so we just wanna make sure everyone's survival suit fits" and then with the storm people are gunna (go/be like) "holy #. I really need to see if my survival suit fits– for reaaal." [laughter throughout]

2M
01:40:34.5 01:40:37.6 nobody ever takes these – the drills– seriously.

AB-2
01:40:36.9 01:40:38.8 no. still have to do 'em.

Primary Communications Secondary and Electronic Communications

2M 02:59:45.0 02:59:50.4 the only comforting thing is that this ship has much better steel than the El Morro
2M 02:59:54.8 02:59:57.3 she's still pretty solid.

2M 02:59:58.7 03:00:03.1 the El Morro –with her thin steel * hell of a storms.

M1 03:00:45.8 03:00:47.8 [sound similar to clacking or tapping on the steel deck.]

2M 03:00:47.8 03:00:49.1 rhut row. [spoken in a Scooby Doo voice]

AB-2 03:00:49.6 03:00:51.1 hell was that?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Last words on a voice recorder: "Ruh Row"

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Rhrist, rhut a rasshole. :rolleyes:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

quote:

rhut row. [spoken in a Scooby Doo voice]

I already requested it in a thread I mistook for this one but this really needs to be the new thread title.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Anyone got a link to that shipwreck thread?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779967

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Synthbuttrange posted:

Last words on a voice recorder: "Ruh Row"

Imagine having that recorded as your last words in a major disaster.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

chitoryu12 posted:

It's not bad but it could use a little work to make it one of the greats such as:

quote:

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!" General John Sedgwick at the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House immediately before being killed by enemy fire.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's not bad but it could use a little work to make it one of the greats such as:

He wasn't an elephant :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jerry Cotton posted:

He wasn't an elephant :shrug:

If he was he would have been safe. :smith:

HERE LIES GENERAL JOHN SEDGEWICK
CUT DOWN IN THE PRIME OF HIS LIFE
ON ACCOUNT OF NOT BEING AN ELEPHANT

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

HERE LIES GENERAL JOHN SEDGEWICK
CUT DOWN IN THE PRIME OF HIS LIFE
ON ACCOUNT OF NOT BEING AN ELEPHANT

:laffo:

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

quote:

Audio Transcript Factual Report Page 506
Primary Communications Secondary and Electronic Communications AB-1
07:38:14.0 07:38:15.2 you gunna leave me.
CAPT
07:38:15.9 07:38:17.3 I'm not leavin' you let's go. [spoken loudly]
AB-1
07:38:21.5 07:38:22.5 [sound of scream]
?
07:38:33.8 07:38:34.6 * *.
?
07:38:34.8 07:38:35.5 *. [spoken loudly]
AB-1
07:38:35.7 07:38:38.2 (I need someone to/help somebody) help me. (you don't wanna/you gunna) help me? [yelled]
CAPT
07:38:39.0 07:38:40.0 I'm the only one here @AB-1.
?
07:39:03.4 07:39:04.1 *. [spoken loudly]
AB-1
07:39:04.6 07:39:05.3 (I can't). [yelled]
AB-1
07:39:06.0 07:39:06.8 I can't. [spoken clearly and loudly]
AB-1
07:39:07.8 07:39:08.5 (I'm gone/I'm a goner). [spoken loudly]

This might be one of the most horrifying things I've ever read. I could not imagine that feeling of imminent doom being dragged out for so long.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

quote:

I'm a goner [spoken in a Scooby Doo voice]

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

This part got me:

quote:

Audio Transcript Factual Report Page 506
Primary Communications Secondary and Electronic Communications AB-1
COOK
05:38:14.0 05:38:15.2 fellas it's too rough to feed ya.
07:00:21.5 07:00:22.5 [sound of main hatchway caving in]
COOK
07:00:34.8 07:00:35.5 fellas it's been good to know ya.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

This part got me:

Wait, isn't that from The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

chitoryu12 posted:

The nose I'd likely make in a disaster, based on prior responses, would probably be, "Uhh," or "Fu--".

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i'd make sure my last word was a Ric Flair 'WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!'

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

beep-beep car is go posted:

Wait, isn't that from The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald?

yep

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
Good last words:
-"Say goodnight!"
- "Put pepperoni on my tombstone!" :clint:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

If I go in a disaster I want to perfectly reproduce the Wilhelm scream.

Gay Weed Dad posted:

- "Put pepperoni on my tombstone!" :clint:

Andy?

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Mak0rz posted:

If I go in a disaster I want to perfectly reproduce the Wilhelm scream.

Andy?

I was referencing the original commercials but your post prompted me to look that up and apparently great minds think alike :smug:
Andy was a great man and I'm going to miss him

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Built in 2003 by Ferretti Group's Custom Line division, Paradise had a composite hull and superstructure. Powered by twin MTU engines of 2775hp each, she had a beam of 7.08 meters. Paradise was up for sale asking €3,400,000.

https://yachtharbour.com/news/34m-yacht-sinks-in-mallorca-1525?src=home_page_latest_main

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So what happens with something like that, I mean, there's not much to recover I imagine. Does the insurance company just pay out and it lies there for whoever to do whatever with? Or is the owner responsible for removing it?

Whenever it gets stormy here (lol socal, so never) a few sailboats inevitably wash up on local beaches, then just sit there until the earth claims them again.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

So what happens with something like that, I mean, there's not much to recover I imagine. Does the insurance company just pay out and it lies there for whoever to do whatever with? Or is the owner responsible for removing it?

Whenever it gets stormy here (lol socal, so never) a few sailboats inevitably wash up on local beaches, then just sit there until the earth claims them again.

Insurance will pay for its removal. If no one did anything, the municipality would contract out removal and pursue the owner to recover costs in addition to fining the poo poo out of them.

Same thing happens when some idiot loses their truck through thin ice on a lake... insurance pays for removal or the DNR puts the owner in a world of poo poo.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

needs more blood.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

JB50 posted:

needs more blood.

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

looking on wikipedia, a rediculous amount of ships get hosed up every year, and a whole bunch of them are just like "yeah, whatever, leave em there"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shipwrecks_in_2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

JB50 posted:

needs more blood.

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope