Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I think our main target for the first phase should be the bridges over that stream west of Stethoscope. We also might want to run one of our initial cavalry brigades directly at Stethoscope with orders along the lines of "if you move into a spot where you will take fire during the shooting phase, move back out and go around" to get them to move 1" into the range of Entente units in Stethoscope and then pull back out and go around the town should they be shot at without having to lose most of a turn's movement switching stance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Hello here to volunteer for any spots that still need officers.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Jaguars! posted:

https://app.roll20.net/join/1997552/GbgsBw

It's also on page 1 just below Trin's posts so you can find it later :)

page 1 sounds super duper convenient thanks! nobody's there now though

i'll be around in ~21 hours, hopefully i don't just fall into a dead zone schedule and time zone wise

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Seems like our upper leadership is more or less settled, here's who I see in the game so far:

Current Organization:
IV Corps - Crazycryodude

18th Cavalry Division - Saros

72nd Infantry Division - Flesnolk

Chief Engineer - Steinrokkan

Chief Artillerist - Sniper4625

Brigade Commanders:
Ikasuhito
aphid_licker
The Sandman (possible div commander)
LLSix
Capfalcon
HEY GAIL
Cokerpilot
Triskeli (TBC)
Fathis Munk
koolkevz666 (Cav Preferred)
Elite (Engineers/Arty preferred)
Mossyfisk - Divisional/Cav preferred
Tatankatonk

Advisors:
glynnenstein
Tias
Jaguars!
Comrade Cheggorsky
Oystertoadfish
Nastytoes

Let us know whether you'd prefer infantry or cavalry, we currently have 4 cavalry billets, might be a few more after that. There'll likely be plenty of infantry billets for all but you might have to wait some. If you want to get in fast, the 72nd div will need at least four billets filled. As for the Artillery and engineers, we don't know at this stage how many there will be but probably only the ones to start with and possibly a reinforcement brigade or two later in the battle if you are willing to wait. You're probably better off claiming a combat brigade now and volunteering if more arty or sappers turn up.

We've got two people who've mentioned division command, Sandman and Mossyfisk. We're unsure at this stage whether there will be a third div HQ on the field or whether the reinforcements just get assigned to one of the existing divisions like they were the last game. Mossyfisk, at this point you probably want to choose between a cav brigade command now or a possible div command later.

I suggest that you fill out LLsixes google spreadsheet under the division you want to play in. I've provisionally put Koolkevz in the first wave cav and Mossyfisk in the second wave so he's got time to get up to speed on the rules if needed.

If you've really got your heart set on the cav or something and you miss out, sing out, people might be willing to swap or come to an accommodation.

p.s. Signups are still open, if you want in, :justpost:

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 7, 2017

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I'll go with the infantry, leaves me some time to see and learn how this all works

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Trin, can you add the new rules and objectives to the OP, it would be a big help. Thanks.

Also maybe link to the Roll 20.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 7, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I'll take a Bde if something is left unfilled after the new players all have something. Just marked myself "Reserves" in the spreadsheet for the time being.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

18th Cav Division HQ:

18th Cav needs you! Yes You! Currently I need a commander for a turn 1 Bde and a turn 20 Bde. There is going to be a lot of plotting and contingency planning especially for the first two bde's as we are taking stabs into the dark here.

Current plan is something like this. Red Bde secures Tallis and provides overwatch while the second charges towards stethoscope. After this we perform a cautious advance until contact is made. We prefer sending both bde over the southern bridge as it is much closer and allows us to keep our forces concentrated. Our dearest wish is to find a single Brit bde with both of ours and over-run it to give a substantive advantage early on.

Black boxes are pessimistic enemy entrance points, I would probably expect them to come from the north over the south but we are being careful with assumptions. Us moving on Stethoscope is really the most obvious opening move so we want to do it with caution.

We absolutely do not want to attempt to cross the fords in the north as the forest is right on top on them and without a lot of artillery backing us up to fire on anyone that reveals themselves we would get cut apart as we tried to cross single file.

Saros fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 7, 2017

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Trin, can units on the hill (which, unless I'm hopeless at reading a map, I think is at Ferme Chatte?) see into the sunken road?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Trin how do fords/bridges work in marching order? Does it force us to string out and funnel through single file no matter what or is marching order assumed to get everybody across fine without slowing down?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Saros posted:

18th Cav Division HQ:

18th Cav needs you! Yes You! Currently I need a commander for a turn 1 Bde and a turn 20 Bde. There is going to be a lot of plotting and contingency planning especially for the first two bde's as we are taking stabs into the dark here.

Current plan is something like this. Red Bde secures Tallis and provides overwatch while the second charges towards stethoscope. After this we perform a cautious advance until contact is made. We prefer sending both bde over the southern bridge as it is much closer and allows us to keep our forces concentrated. Our dearest wish is to find a single Brit bde with both of ours and over-run it to give a substantive advantage early on.

Black boxes are pessimistic enemy entrance points, I would probably expect them to come from the north over the south but we are being careful with assumptions. Us moving on Stethoscope is really the most obvious opening move so we want to do it with caution.

We absolutely do not want to attempt to cross the fords in the north as the forest is right on top on them and without a lot of artillery backing us up to fire on anyone that reveals themselves we would get cut apart as we tried to cross single file.

I'll take the route into Stethoscope if you want Saros. It is probably the more high risk one and I don't mind taking the risk. If I encounter enemies inside of Stethoscope should I withdraw or attempt a cavalry charge?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Crazycryodude posted:

Trin how do fords/bridges work in marching order? Does it force us to string out and funnel through single file no matter what or is marching order assumed to get everybody across fine without slowing down?

If you get fired on, you cross individually in single file; otherwise you can just stroll over as though they were roads.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

koolkevz666 posted:

I'll take the route into Stethoscope if you want Saros. It is probably the more high risk one and I don't mind taking the risk. If I encounter enemies inside of Stethoscope should I withdraw or attempt a cavalry charge?

We are figuring ranges in roll20 now so will have an update to the plan at some point.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Do we gain anything by holding Stethescope? Eyeballing it, it looks like we might be able to bypass it without slowing down much.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
We're discussing this in roll20 but in short, yes. However, we don't exactly need to dig in and never move from that spot like it's Saint Croissant.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

We're discussing this in roll20 but in short, yes. However, we don't exactly need to dig in and never move from that spot like it's Saint Croissant.

What's the long answer? I just grepped through the whole chat log and didn't see any explanation for how holding Stethescope helps. Just a lot of obsessing over terrain features in the third of the map farthest from our objective.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What do you mean by holding? If stationing a brigade there on a permanent basis, then nothing, probs.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Are off-map communications identical as the last game?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I could easily see control of the town expanding our deployment zone out to the CC. I don't think we need to station a permanent garrison, but it should make a good base of movement while we advance on the stream.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

LLSix posted:

What's the long answer? I just grepped through the whole chat log and didn't see any explanation for how holding Stethescope helps. Just a lot of obsessing over terrain features in the third of the map farthest from our objective.

Basically, it's a five way crossroads that we cannot advance west without crossing, so yes, we need to take it and keep the Entente from taking it from us. But there isn't really much of any benefit just sitting a brigade on it for the entire game either.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Some Useful Advice from the Umpire

Hi folks. Here are some observations that I would like to make. This advice is being presented in identical form to both sides.

On the utility of Roll20

If you read nothing else in this post, read this. Roll20 is transient. The thread is forever. I often tell Roll20 chat to post ITT. This is partly for the benefit of spectators, so they don't have to go trawling chatlogs to find out what's going on. However, there is another very important reason why you should post ITT as often as possible. Discussion in the thread is easily referenced. Discussion in Roll20 quickly disappears into the gargantuan chat archive. Experience from last round shows that if you only talk about something in Roll20, then an hour after you've stopped, it might as well never have happened.

Modern British Army officer training tells wannabe subalterns not to rely on their memory; if they don't write things down, things get forgotten. If y'all don't post things in here, they will also get forgotten. It's fun to hang out in chat and hash out the details of something in real time, but if you want anyone to remember anything about your Good Idea five minutes after you stop talking about it, post ITT.

On the introduction of forces

This battle does not work like the last one, where I dumped 400 chits on the table at once, and devil take the hindmost. Your forces are going to be gradually introduced to the battle over an extended period of time. There are many reasons for this. One of them is that I want to give new players a chance to see in real-time things like "how exactly does firing resolve itself?" and "what kind of control can I really expect to have over my forces once the heat of battle is on?", before they are required to be in command of potentially-vital forces.

That's not to say that new commanders should be automatically discouraged from taking a command on the first day; but you absolutely don't need to worry about missing all the fun if you're not directly involved from the off. Again, the previous battle was designed as a short, sharp shock. I don't think it's giving too much away to mention that this battle is intended to take up much more game time and, by the end, have brought more brigades on-board than the last battle.

On the question of time zones (AMERICANS PAY ATTENTION)

Last time round we saw both teams have trouble getting their orders in before deadline. Barring exceptional circumstances, I will always give you at least 48 hours between updates. Deadlines are designed to fit in with my schedule and are all based around GMT. They are soft, in that I will accept orders issued after deadline but before I begin running the update, but don't rely on them being as soft as you might want; sometimes the shutters come down 15 minutes after deadline, sometimes you'll get a few extra hours.

What does this mean? Simple. If you are a brigade commander in a US or similar time zone, I strongly recommend that you post your orders the night before the deadline. My deadlines usually work out at about noon Eastern time. If you work 9-5 and wait until the day of the deadline to post orders, you're hosed. Several brigades got caught out last time by this. It's one thing for an army's plans to get screwed up because they gave bad or inadvisable orders; it's another if they get screwed up by no orders being posted at all. (The corollary to this is that if you know you won't make a deadline because of real life, tell someone ASAP so they can arrange emergency orders, or a substitute.)

This also has implications further up the chain of command. Division commanders need to know the time zones of everyone they are working with, and ensure that they give instructions early enough that all brigade commanders who need to do so have plenty of time to write new orders. In turn, the Corps Commander needs to ensure that their division commanders have their own instructions in enough time to allow them time to work.

I will be posting again, nearer the weekend, with some advice aimed specifically at helping brigadiers to write...well, not good orders, but orders that I can easily understand and execute.

(Answers for specific rule questions to follow.)

vvv They're written in Franglais, not anything the Academie francaise would recognise or understand vvv

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 7, 2017

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Oh nice, for once I'm in the good timezone.

Also even though I am on the German side I need to point out that some of the map names are a bit off, like it should be "Bois du Coq", "Foret d'Effyaders" and "Vallée Saucisson" and probably "Ferme de la Chatte" imo
:goonsay:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Staff officers, a bit of discussion from the Roll20 that's important for y'all. Cryo will probably supersede this with a post of his own at some point, but we were talking about some stuff we might need data on for the current battle and here's what I thought would be helpful:

* Obviously, keep on the ball with making sure everyone is posting their orders on time, following the rules, not contradicting each other with their orders, etc.
* Terrain analysis. Ranges between landmarks, our best routes of attack, best/most likely defensive positions and fallback lines for the Entente (including where you think we can expect heavy fortifications and the like)
* Movement speed analysis. How quickly can we get from point to point, and in what order? Battle order, marching order, all that. Maybe some thoughts on their likely deployment areas and how fast you think we can expect to see them show up where.
* Worst case scenarios and how you would suggest approaching them?
* General tactical advice. Strategically, this round is pretty limited, "march west until there is no more west," but there are more options as tactics and trickery go. I don't know about Cryo, but when it comes time for the 72nd to take the field I'm certainly open to hearing what you have to say.

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
I sign up for any cavalry left over. If there are none then infantry it is I guess.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
We have some cavalry slots left, but everyone's fighting over those and nobody seems to want to be infantry. My 72nd could use more brigadiers.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

Trin, can units on the hill (which, unless I'm hopeless at reading a map, I think is at Ferme Chatte?) see into the sunken road?

If someone is stationary on the sunken road, they are in cover, and therefore can only be seen from 4" away. They give away their position when they fire, though :woop:

Those wanting to scrub up on the rules should click the user posts only button for Trin's posts ('?' button under his avatar) and find the three big tutorial posts on page one, those are the basic rules. Ofc, anything posted in the last page or two supersedes the old information. I'll try and draw up a crib sheet before the game starts.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

We have some cavalry slots left, but everyone's fighting over those and nobody seems to want to be infantry. My 72nd could use more brigadiers.

I'd like to have at least one experienced Brigadier in your division, either Sandman, HEY GAIL or Ikasuhito who all played well and actively last game.

The other spearhead cavalry brigade is an important post, if a newbie wants to step up to it then that's excellent, but you'll need to be ready to scrub up on the rules immediately and produce a high quality set of orders. The last cav brigade would be a more laid back, you'll probably have a more definite task ahead of you by the time you come on and a chance to work out how to do things.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I agree. At least one experienced brigadier in the 72nd, and another experienced one for our second spearhead brigade. We'll need to keep those two brigades alive and fighting for a lot of turns, so they need to be well-led.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I'd like to join as a staff officer if still possible.

I won't be able to contribute much, but I would like to know how one of these games go (and understand how Roll20 works) before I take a more active role.

disjoe fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 7, 2017

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Again I don't have much of a preference but if I could work with sandman as we have a established working relationship.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Couple of requests for staff officers who want to help number crunch or theory craft

• Brigade level formation and layout of individual company chits makes a huge difference in combat effectiveness. If someone wants to analyze the previous game and see what formations worked / theorycraft some that should that would be a huge help
  • Some guesswork as to likely/possible/worst case British positions would be pretty sweet. Plus major internet credit awaits whoever can guess right.
  • Movement is a little complicated, if someone could number crunch when movement formation is a net gain, that'd be great
  • movement for the initial 2 brigades needs to be as effective and efficient as possible. Any numbers on how many turns it would take to get from our deployment zone to the sunken road or any notable point West of it would be really helpful for planning.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Seriously, we need all of those things, and the stuff I mentioned in my post.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Alright, we've been hard at work in Roll20, and have a preliminary OOB. If you've volunteered for a line officer spot and didn't get one, fear not - there's still PLENTY to come, this is just for the first day and a half.

For everyone who's in the OOB, please chime in within 72 hours to confirm you're still active and accept your command.

18th Cav - Saros
1bde - Ikashuhito
2bde - The Sandman
3bde - mossyfisk
4bde - RaffyTaffy

72nd Inf - Flesnolk
1bde - HEY GAIL
2bde - Capfalcon
3bde - Koolkevz666
4bde - Fatis Munk

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

e: nvm

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Oh ok guess I'll take an infantry spot then.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
18th Cav, 3bde reporting in.

Anything specific you want me planning ahead for on Turn 10, Saros?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

koolkevz666 posted:

Oh ok guess I'll take an infantry spot then.

You can trade for my spot if you like. I'm perfectly fine either way.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I would very much prefer to have veterans on the two cavalry brigades we start with. Best way to avoid being slaughtered instantly.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah sorry we couldn't give everybody what they wanted. We had approximately 10 trillion cavalry applicants and like 2 infantry, so we just did it first come, first served spiced with a bit of "make sure there are people who know the game in positions X and Y." If you guys want to switch that's the joint domain of Flesnolk and Saros, just know that the first 2 cav brigades are the spearhead so be active and know the rules well.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Well if it is part of your "plan" I guess I'll go along with it and play foot slogger. Guess it will give me some experience for the next round as all I did last round was post orders to shuffle some chits.

• Locked thread