Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

KyoAni's production standards are so far ahead of the rest of the industry that it's kind of insane.
There are a few other studios that are actually sane about things too. Polygon Pictures (the sidonia/ajin guys) seem to have a reasonable workflow and the president of it actually made a point of saying that he wanted his staff to have time to go home to their families, and the staff for pokemon is ridiculously far ahead of schedule, probably because they realized they'd be in it for the longhaul at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

There are a few other studios that are actually sane about things too. Polygon Pictures (the sidonia/ajin guys) seem to have a reasonable workflow and the president of it actually made a point of saying that he wanted his staff to have time to go home to their families, and the staff for pokemon is ridiculously far ahead of schedule, probably because they realized they'd be in it for the longhaul at some point.

I'm surprised to hear that about Pokemon of all things. I can't remember precisely where I got this idea, but I was under the impression that long running shounen/shounen-adjacent stuff was particularly hellish in terms of production. Good for them.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm surprised to hear that about Pokemon of all things. I can't remember precisely where I got this idea, but I was under the impression that long running shounen/shounen-adjacent stuff was particularly hellish in terms of production. Good for them.

Maybe Shirobako Season 2 will finally shed some light on the matter :v:

After all these years, though, it really doesn't surprise me that the people making Pokemon have gotten it down to a science by now.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001
I think we can say Deen downgraded their game and KonoSuba is better for it.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

It probably is for stuff like One Piece where they don't have that long to adapt new manga chapters as they come out. At least that's my impression off it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spiritus Nox posted:

pokemon sumo has benefited pretty heavily from both pretty talented staff and moving to digital, which has made production easy enough for the show to even be as well-animated as it is in the first place

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

What's that from?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What's that from?

:iiam:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What's that from?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
You all should be watching Ai Mai Mi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjJYO8atpkk

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Ai Mai Mii is still excellent.

Also stop insulting Eupho, please.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Also Choborau Nyopomis Pixiv is pretty good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Also Choborau Nyopomis Pixiv is pretty good.

Gesundheit

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Lol

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm not sure if that's the case with modern Pokémon, but it was definitely so with the first season of the show. It was so tightly scripted that , if you removed the four months the show was on hiatus due to the Seizure Incident (After episode 38, from December 16, 1997 to April 16, 1997) then the episodes that cameod Mewtwo (63 and 65) would have both aired in June 1998, right before the first movie would have premiered in Japanese Theaters in July 1998.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

If it weren't for Euphonium we wouldn't have the advanced legwork in Maidragon, which will also probably be in every KyoAni production from here until eternity, jfc show some respect for your elders

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AnacondaHL posted:

If it weren't for Euphonium we wouldn't have the advanced legwork in Maidragon, which will also probably be in every KyoAni production from here until eternity, jfc show some respect for your elders

Yeah, pay your respective homages to Munto.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

darkgray posted:

Right, stepped up their game from that amateur hour Euphonium, I guess?

Euphonium is as appealing to me as sand is for breakfast.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why? it's a fantastic drama with great characters. if you don't like it that's one thing but dismissing it out of hand seems weird.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tales of Euphonia

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Motto posted:

The Shinbo simulator inches ever closer to automating directing duties.

Microsoft Powerpoint has had automatic templates since at least 2001

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

So I'm just going to preface this by saying that I only really watched like 5 episodes of Euphonium several months ago. So if it gets drastically better later on or in season 2 or something, that's something I'm not going to know about, and I don't really remember it all that well (which is, honestly, kind of my point). Normally, I'd take the effort to actually go through and give it a decent second pass before typing something like this out, but my time as of late is a bit short, and I don't really want to spend it on watching a show that probably wouldn't find it's way onto my backlog on its own merit.

Not that I'm saying Euponium is a bad, or even not worth watching show. It's actually pretty good, and had it caught my eye when it aired I'd probably have seen it through to the end and generally enjoyed it. The problem is that it's not any kind of big step forward for KyoAni. If you take any of the great KyoAni shows like say Haruhi or K-On or Nichijou, I can't really bring myself to compare what i saw of Euphonium to any of them without Euphonium jut feeling sort of out of its depth. I guess when it comes down to it, those shows all felt like some big step forward, a show that didn't just have effort and love put into it (all KyoAni shows have that), but some kind of grand inspiration. they felt like the studio was breaking new ground of some sort.

Meanwhile, Euphonium is not that. It's a nice superficial step forward, but underneath it all is just a more well executed version of the same thing KyoAni puts out all the time, right down to the character designs just being their same character designs as always. The characters themselves felt like placeholders 90% of the time. "This is the serious BAND character. She takes INSTRUMENTS very seriously. She has nothing else going for her, yet is apparently supposed to be one of the main driving forces of the plot." "This is the main character. She does...band I guess? Look she'll probably take place in most of the plot or something." And this is to say nothing about the fact that there's a bunch of just outright one-note characters to fill the rank and file of a band with dozens of people in it.

The plot/drama didn't really win me over in any way, which is probably the reason I can have no desire to go back to the show. Honestly just replace any random sports anime with a band and you more or less have the plot. It's seriously nothing special. And you can say great thing about the directing, but note that, A) I came away from it not really even noticing it, and, B) if you're going to say it stands on directing alone, you're going to have to compare it to things like, say, Monogatari. And it's not winning that comparison; I'm not even sure its directing would win a comparison to MaiDragon this season.

It's not a big, passionate step forward like the "great" KyoAni shows, it's a superficial step forward and a hundred steps sideways. In a year or so, It'll join the ranks of Chuunibyou as a show that people generally enjoyed, but wasn't all that amazing. It's taking your big huge army out and marching it around in a circle: a nice display, but nothing you could call a victory with a straight face.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

If the writing didn't speak to you then it didn't speak to you, but I'm confused by your assertion that KyoAni was reusing character designs for Euphonium? Whose design is Reina supposed to be aping? Or Kumiko? Or even any of the side characters?

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 8, 2017

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

If the writing didn't speak to you then it didn't speak to you, but I'm confused by your assertion that KyoAni was reusing character designs for Euphonium? Whose design is Reina supposed to be aping? Or Kumiko?

I meant that in the sense that they're all sort of in the same art style as K-on or Tamako Market or Chuunibyou, as opposed to something like MaiDragon where they sort of feel a bit more original.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AnoHito posted:

It's not a big, passionate step forward like the "great" KyoAni shows, it's a superficial step forward and a hundred steps sideways. In a year or so, It'll join the ranks of Chuunibyou as a show that people generally enjoyed, but wasn't all that amazing. It's taking your big huge army out and marching it around in a circle: a nice display, but nothing you could call a victory with a straight face.
euphonium is a triumph of modern anime and one of the best shows ever made, and i will remember it for the rest of my life. there is no other anime even in remotely the same league with it in terms of direction, animation, storyboarding, etc. this sure is an authoritative statement to make from a guy who watched 5 eps tho!!

seriously if you don't like it, that's cool, just say 'i didn't like it' instead of trying to argue with people who did like it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVhh6SsyLNA

watch this scene my dude

it's an 8 minute long concert scene and its directed perfectly and gets every detail of how the instruments are played right, gives the individual characters small interactions with each other while they are playing, and even gives a few of the incredibly minor background characters personality in shots of them playing or looking at the notes they have on the sheets

i could do an essay on this scene

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

imo it's fine if kyoani has a house style. people don't stop sucking SHAFT's dick for their dumb headtilts, kyoani should be able to have their adorable af shiny eyes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The last thing animation should be doing is imitating real life IMO

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I wouldn't really say Eupho's art style imitates real life significantly more than a show like Haruhi does.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVhh6SsyLNA

watch this scene my dude

it's an 8 minute long concert scene and its directed perfectly and gets every detail of how the instruments are played right, gives the individual characters small interactions with each other while they are playing, and even gives a few of the incredibly minor background characters personality in shots of them playing or looking at the notes they have on the sheets

i could do an essay on this scene

That is a good scene, yes. There's a lot of good things I could easily point out not even really having context for it, and if I was watching along as it aired, I probably would have applauded it. But it's not that special. There's easily like dozens of better scenes in Haruhi. The concert scene in K-On (I should really watch Linda Linda Linda) was probably better too, and scenes like that weren't even the point of K-On.

Also, if I'm going to do that thing I've been doing of being overly critical, it honestly feels about 3 minutes too long, imo. I feel like I got the point 4-5 minutes in and it just decided it had to keep going and doing more or less the same thing it did for the first half of the scene.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

In Training posted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AnoHito posted:

That is a good scene, yes. There's a lot of good things I could easily point out not even really having context for it, and if I was watching along as it aired, I probably would have applauded it. But it's not that special. There's easily like dozens of better scenes in Haruhi. The concert scene in K-On (I should really watch Linda Linda Linda) was probably better too, and scenes like that weren't even the point of K-On.
i disagree, but then 'not really having context for it'

again dude, it's cool if you don't like euphonium. a lot of people did. it did some amazing things with the medium and was directed exceptionally well. those two things are pretty much objective fact, considering how many awards the director has won and how many people in the industry have praised her. if it didn't do anything for you personally, that's fine. you don't need to act like people are overrating it or that everyone will forget about it in a year, especially when there actually isn't that much praise for it in western anime fandom (or even jp anime fandom, a lot of the praise for it seems to be actual animators) to begin with. You can just say you didn't enjoy it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

haruhi does next to nothing for me and disappearance is the only part of it i enjoyed but im not gonna deny how influential it was or that it deserves to be remembered

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

In Training posted:

you posted:

Haruhi takes place in the real world, and animating real locations convincingly is

tantamount to ensuring the show’s success. In this regard, the spaces are wonderfully realized;

the locations appear nearly photorealistic in spots, partially due to the fact that they are based on

real-world locations that have been scouted and photographed meticulously at all times of the

day. The first episode is also stylistically distinct to highlight the reality of the spaces: the entire

episode is presented as a student film, shot in 4:3 on a handheld DV camera. Cars pass by and

interrupt lines, passers-by become curious in the “filming” taking place and the young students

behind the camera interject to give direction and describe the scenes. These are details that give

the world a grounded feeling that few two-dimensional works ever approach. For twenty minutes

viewers are treated to a tour of these character’s hometown, visiting spots and locations that will

become familiar over the next two seasons, even if they aren’t revisited by the show until a few

years later (the second season was animated three years after the first). These details in the first

episode establish a unique tone for the show, which is then expanded upon in the following

episodes.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Euphonium was great and much better than Kyoani's current offering, but I really hope that the studio uses a more interesting source material for their next show.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

perfect post/avatar synergy here

• Locked thread