Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

In complete honesty, Im asking for an extremely ambitious plan with a) the expectation that its going to be cut back, and b) getting us used to thinking agressively.

Compare the german zerg rush last map to this plan, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Here is a rough timetable for what my mounted engineers can achieve.

Roadblock both roads in Stethoscopes: 12 turns
Barbed wire the entrance to Stethoscopes: 14 turns
Roadblock m1: 11 turns
Barbed wire m2: 13 turns
Barbed wire m3: 13 turns
Roadblock m4: 9 turns
Barbed wire m5: 11 turns
Barbed wire m6: 11 turns
Roadblock m7: 8 turns

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Hunt11 posted:

Here is a rough timetable for what my mounted engineers can achieve.

Roadblock both roads in Stethoscopes: 12 turns
Barbed wire the entrance to Stethoscopes: 14 turns
Roadblock m1: 11 turns
Barbed wire m2: 13 turns
Barbed wire m3: 13 turns
Roadblock m4: 9 turns
Barbed wire m5: 11 turns
Barbed wire m6: 11 turns
Roadblock m7: 8 turns

Excellent. Youll probably want to think along the lines of starting at Stethescope and going west (route to be determined)

Edit: what Id really like to see is a numbered map, with lines between locations. The engineer points and walking distance both marked for turns, like a travelling salesman problem.

Make sense?

Loel fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 7, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Loel posted:

Excellent. Youll probably want to think along the lines of starting at Stethescope and going west (route to be determined)

I am all for aggressive thinking, but I think my engineers can help set up a more aggressive push without going to Stethescope. The more wire and road blocks I set up the more we can funnel them up. For example by setting up a road block on m4 and then putting our artillery behind it, anything hoping to push aggressively into our center will be slowed down enough for our guns to force them back.

Edit: I haven't had to worry about a traveling salesmen problem in forever.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Hunt11 posted:

I am all for aggressive thinking, but I think my engineers can help set up a more aggressive push without going to Stethescope. The more wire and road blocks I set up the more we can funnel them up. For example by setting up a road block on m4 and then putting our artillery behind it, anything hoping to push aggressively into our center will be slowed down enough for our guns to force them back.

Show me :D Maps. Arrows. Turn counts.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So something like this?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
There's a "text" option on Roll20

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Definitly heading in the right direction!

Heres what I need. Take the blank map, and notate areas you want to combat engineer. W for wire, T for trench, B for blow up bridge. Have an index on the corner on how much time it takes. Then draw lines between each area, and mark how long it takes to travel between the two.

Basically, I want anyone who looks at your map to know "okay, they can blow this bridge and this bridge, in this time, but they wont make it to the next safe point in time."
Follow?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That makes sense.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Bacarruda posted:

Evening, sir.

Based on what we know, the following openings need to be filled.

3rd Cavalry Division commander
RNAS Armoured Car Brigade commander
? Cavalry Brigade commander
? Cavalry Brigade commander

Royal Horse Artillery commander (controls the cavalry division's field artillery)

7th Infantry Division commander
? Infantry Brigade commander

Royal Artillery commander (controls the infantry division's field artillery)

Royal Engineers commander (controls mounted and foot engineers)

--

I'd like to be considered for command of the 3rd Cavalry Division. And thatbastardken has expressed interest in leading 7th Infantry Division.

Bacarruda, hows it looking? Have all slots been filled? (Assume first come first serve unless otherwise noted)

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Here is the broad thrust of the plan I am thinking about. We split our ACs into two groups: annoyingly orange (6) and eye-searing green (4) and they both make for stethoscope. The circled locations on the 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock roads are where they'll be after 4 turns. At that point, we need to decide if we're occupying stethoscope or not. If we see cavalry on its way in, we've lost the race and need to back off. If not, we send both groups up to their shaded regions (orange in the outskirts) and prepare to receive. Note that the green ACs are close enough to shoot at anyone charging the orange ACs. We stay there until there's artillery pointed at us and a pile of people ready to shoot. Probably get 2-3 shots off.

From there, group orange splits in half. One half becomes red and they go north to the hatched area. They wait there for two turns and then make for the red X in Foret de Effyaders. The other group is yellow and they go west to their X. Meanwhile, Green goes south to the intersection and waits for a couple turns to shoot at anyone overly aggressive and then re-cross the river before taking up positions at their X.

The first cavalry brigade is marked in blue and will fill Foret de Effyaders with horses. The MG is located just inside the cover of the forest where it can shoot at any troops crossing M2, M3 or M4. The second cavalry brigade is marked in brown and occupies a position east of Bois de Blob. They are out of range of rifle fire east of the river and can fire on M6 and M7.

Note: Through sheer good luck, the locations selected for ACs should be just out of range of indirect fire from the sunken road.

Assumptions:
The Germans deploy on the west edge of the map. If they can deploy anywhere east of the river Dand, they may have the potential to arrive in Stethoscope ahead of us in battle order.
The sunken road provides cover in all directions.
Engineers are putting roadblocks across M4 and M7 as soon as possible and we are unwilling to leave troops east of the river after that time.

Istvun fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 8, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

sullat posted:

We have a bunch of new recruits, so I will defer to them for brigade commanders. Give them a chance to spill some pixel-blood. I will be a staff officer for now, able to jump in at a later time if needed for a field command.

As an overall note, I think this is a really good idea, especially if we can get experienced ex-brigadiers assigned to be on hand to the new brigadiers.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > The Great Goon War: Entente Professional Development Simulation

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Did a cursory look back and looks like most of the positions are filled, so I'll put my name in as a reserve brigade command in one of the later waves.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Is it too late to put myself forward (again) for command of the RNAS Armoured Car Brigade?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

(Even More) Rules: Delicious Hot, Disgusting Cold

By popular demand, a few more things that you might want to know. At some point I'm going to go re-collate all my rules posts and stick links to them at the start of the thread. Firstly, and most importantly, let's talk about erections...

Trenches

Let's talk about spotting and movement and trenches. A company in a trench has both protective and spotting cover. Two opposing companies in trenches have cover from each other; if they're 5" apart, they don't see each other unless one of them fires, and the fired-upon unit has protective cover against being shot. A company in a trench moves at half speed; and companies in trenches cannot pass through friendly infantry companies, unless the company in question is suppressed.

You've seen close combat in the open: the rules for close combat in the open are unchanged and just as deadly as before. Close combat in a trench works differently - it's a much more dicey affair and there is a non-zero chance that it might backfire on the company that initiates close combat. (It is, however, still better to charge than to be charged.)

I often refer to entrenchments which are inhabited by artillery companies as "gun-pits", but they have the same mechanical effect as a trench. Artillery can locate itself in any trench and fire out of any trench.

The Sunken Road

The sunken road offers the same protective cover as a trench; however, companies in the sunken road can spot other companies in the sunken road at unmodified spotting distance. A trench in the sunken road is more protective than a trench anywhere else, and you're back to trench spotting.

Trenches and Roads

If a trench is dug over or through a road, companies can still pass through, but they drop to half speed while they go through the entrenched section. Brigades in Marching Order do not have to leave Marching Order. Wheeled companies (like your armoured cars) treat it as a roadblock.

Barbed Wire

Companies may always pass through their own barbed wire without penalty. A company that comes into contact with enemy barbed wire stops and loses its movement. It then takes the whole of the next turn to cross to the other side of the wire, and then proceeds on the turn after that. During the middle turn of its movement through the wire, it may not charge nor use rifle fire.

Roadblocks

Roadblocks may be constructed on roads only. A company that encounters a roadblock loses half its movement for that turn and then continues if it still has movement left. A wheeled company loses all its movement for that turn.

Barricades

An engineer can build a 60x60 Barricade inside a trench; it takes the same amount of time, 4 turns, as it does to build a roadblock. Barricades are impassable to all units, but do not block LOS and may be fired through. A company that encounters a Barricade will attempt to go around it, leaving the trench if necessary in order to do so.

Sighting Enemy Erections

All erections are invisible until they are completed. You do not become aware of enemy erections unless you spot them, and your men are not self-aware enough to avoid them on their own initiative. If you draw me an arrow that just so happens to go through the enemy's wire, your men are going to go through that wire. I will not accept conditional orders to the effect of "Avoid any obstacles you see on the way". That would unacceptably nerf the power of erections; and I am expecting to see plenty of erections this round.

Destroying Erections

An erection may be removed by an engineer in half the time it took to build; or by a non-engineer in the same time that it took to build. Companies will never automatically remove erections; they must have a specific order to remove a specific erection and again, I will not accept generalised conditionals to the effect of "Remove all erections spotted". If indirect fire hits an erection, there is a chance that it may be destroyed.

Just so we're clear on this:

Istvun posted:

Also, will you accept an order to the effect of "they probably have an erection here. Remove it."?

I will accept no conditionals of any kind that attempt to react in any way to any erections that have not been spotted at the time you are writing the orders.

Trenches may not be destroyed or removed; once they are on the board, they are on the board. Telephone lines cannot be cut by indirect fire.

Telephones Without Towns

You may have noticed that there are relatively few towns on this map compared to the last one. Roads still carry telephone lines; a Divisional HQ which is entrenched and within 8" of a road will automatically hook its field telephone into the telephone network.

Engineers may now repair telephone lines; the company must first travel down the road, inspecting the telephone line as it goes, until it finds a break. It then stops and takes 2 full turns to repair the break. Both DHQ and the engineer are immediately aware when telephone contact has been restored.

The Spotter Plane

Every morning at 0800, the Corps Commander will receive one Spotter Plane mission to use at their discretion. As before, the Spotter Plane will attempt to spot everything within 24" of a marked location; there is no mechanic to reflect it flying out and back. If the Spotter Plane is not used that day, its mission is lost; you cannot bank unused Spotter Plane flights.

Fords

All the crossings of that little middle river are fords. You may certainly attempt to build your own bridges.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 8, 2017

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
How frequently can we cut telephone lines?

Also, will you accept an order to the effect of "they probably have an erection here. Remove it."?

Istvun fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 8, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
<Triest to remove the mental image of German engineers going around with giant pictures of goatse that can take down all but the kinkiest of erections>

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Can engineers trade wire between each other?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

FYI from the chat:

quote:

Effigies (GM): @Trin - what are the rules for detonating bridges remotely?
timer? long wire with Acme plunger? does the engineer have to be physically next to it?

Trin Tragula (GM): Engineer must be next to the bridge and roll to activate the Acme Bridge Detonator

my dad (GM): If the roll fails, what then? :v

Trin Tragula (GM): Then there is no earth-shattering kaboom

my dad (GM): until next turn, or does the engineer have to do everything all over again?

Trin Tragula (GM): Until next turn

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Skipping all the dick jokes. tsk tsk

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Is it too late to put myself forward (again) for command of the RNAS Armoured Car Brigade?

Since we both want the position, a duel to the death must happen -- may the man with the best elan win! [Or maybe we can split the command when the armored group is separated into two groups].

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Splitting seems reasonable, we want enough attention spans to write good orders for split units.

Just remember, dual command, not duel command.

Also means VVG gets his toys without meaning he has to write the first order without a model.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

my dad posted:

Skipping all the dick jokes. tsk tsk

Can't let the hanger-ons in the spectator thread just get all that gold for free :nsa:

Also, pointed out in chat that Trin's comment about cutting telephone lines works both ways and presents the possibility of German infiltrators in the rear. I agree that's its pretty remote, but since Trin's got a habit of arranging the unexpected we should make sure there are some mobile eyes spread out in the rear once our surviving ACs and cavalry get relieved by the infantry.

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary

xthetenth posted:

What is a good war without a few instances of in-fighting!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

xthetenth posted:

Splitting seems reasonable, we want enough attention spans to write good orders for split units.

Also means VVG gets his toys without meaning he has to write the first order without a model.

Works for me.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
For no particular reason whatsoever:

:munch:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

unnamed RNAS brigade sailor posted:

Twas out for a motor in my motor-car (tralala, tralala, tra-la-la)
When what do I spy coming from afar? (tralala, tralala, tra-la-la)
Spike-hats and sausages, it's the Hun! (tralala, tralala, tra-la-lun)
So I give he the works with my Maxim gun! (tralala, tralala, tra-la-lun)

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
My cousin was a military liaison with the French army, and he saw some of the worst fighting in the battle of St. Croissant. He reported that the German advantage in MGs was decisive in that action, despite superior French discipline, maneuvering, elan, unit cohesion, and, oddly enough, smell and sex appeal. At any rate, his report was that massed MG fire will obliterate any formation in the open; especially without proper artillery support. So once again, my proposal is that the AC brigade stick together for the first attack on the enemy lead brigade, around Stethoscope, and then separate into two autonomous commands under a general and perhaps a particularly well-bred Major. Once the mobile portion of the battle is over, then the ACs will be used more as fixed MGs, with the ability to shift rapidly between fronts.

In addition, I had the opportunity to read the essay by the Russian military strategist handed out by the general. It seems that we are in the position of these "NATO" forces, on the defensive against a numerically superior, but inflexible foe. It seems like the "NATO" forces in that essay were left reacting to the enemy, shifting forces back and forth in reaction to the enemy's decision of which axis to advance along. By losing the initiative, they were always a step or two behind their opponent. In this case, we are set to defend the port against the German advance, there are several logical avenues for the Germans to advance along. If they pick one to focus on, my suggestion would be to use some of our mobile forces to counter-attack the weaker areas, pushing the enemy back, and potentially giving us a breakthrough to over-run the enemy's rear staging areas. Or at least the opportunity to flank the main axis of advance, especially if it has managed to push our units back.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Working list
3rd Cavalry Division commander -- Bacarruda
RNAS Armoured Car Brigade commander sixkiller / Vincent Van Goatse
? Cavalry Brigade commander -- mydad
? Cavalry Brigade commander -- xthetenth
Royal Horse Artillery commander - abortretryfail

7th Infantry Division commander -- thabastardken
? Infantry Brigade commander -- Acebuckeye13
? Infantry Brigade commander -- mllaneza
? Infantry Brigade commander -- Eddy-Baby

Royal Artillery commander - lenoon
Royal Engineers commander -- Hunt11

KYOON GRIFFEY JR -- Open XO
grassy gnoll -- Open
Terrifying Effigies -- Open Brigade
sullat - staff

Let me know if I missed you.

Loel fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 8, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Staff officer, until such time as a reserve officer is needed, and there isn't some other poor sod willing to leave our lovely hotel HQ.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

GIVE ME A COMMAND WHATEVER'S LEFT

EDIT: PLEASE

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Bacarruda

Commander's intent: You are to focus on Zone 3. Priority list as follows:
1) Maintain integrity of command
2) Scout opposing forces
3) Ambush targets of opportunity
4) Fallback to zone 4 when the situation warrants

Scouting priorities are to find out:
What brigades we are facing, and in what composition
Where are they coming from, and at what speeds
What is their most likely avenue of approach towards Zone 4

Work with Fires to ensure there are no friendly casualties.

TBK
Commander's intent: You are to focus on Zone 4. Priority list as follows:
1) Destroy any attempted beach head. Hold position until further notice.

Work with Engineers to maximize defenses.

Loel fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 8, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I remind players that there will be many more brigades coming on-board over the course of the battle - these are far from the only two divisions that will ever take part in it.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

:siren: Our timetables may be one turn too late as they may deploy in front of the bridges! - As discovered by Prof. Curly

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary
The command over the AC unit, before and during the raid, shall rest on VVG; I'll be helping him with orders until the time of separation.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A cranky Brit moves your chit,
A poilu, French, in a trench.
Who, in a pit, will no more sit,
And leave the stench, with a wrench.
Because a Hun, with a gun,
Will require lots of wire,
in places fun, so he can't run,
and take your fire, very dire.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Timetables

These movements are measured from the board edge of appropriate entry. This assumes that both we and the Germans are starting off the table. These therefor represent the maximum distance that the lead chit should be moving (more or less).

Table 1: Armored Car Movement (Road)

There are 3 paths, which I've labeled AC 1-3. AC1 is the southern route, AC2 is the central route and AC3 is the northern route using the forest road. Lines indicate where the back edge of the lead chit will be. Turns indicate what turn that chit would be arriving. So 3 Turns: AC3 indicate that if our first AC company took the northern path, it would arrive at that line on turn 3. Things to note:

1. The armored cars can reach Chemin Cruex in 4 turns.
2. It will take 5 turns to reach Stethoscope using either AC1 or AC2.
3. We can be in position to cover the M1 ford in 5 turns.

Table 2: Enemy Cavalry Movements (Marching Order)

These represent the leading edges of enemy cavalry entering the board in marching order and moving at full speed along the roads. Because of the bridges they have to cross moving from La Dand, they will necessarily be moving single file. Things to note:

1. They can arrive in Stethoscope on Turn 4.
2. If we don't check their movement, they can be at the M4 crossing on Turn 5, and cross in force on Turn 6.
3. Stethoscope represents all of their interior lines. It is the crossroad of the map. They must take it to advance further at any speed.

Table 3: AC + Enemy Movements

Here are the movements plotted together. We can see then where and when likely meeting engagements will occur. Things to note:

1. They can reach Stethoscope before we do. They can be in the town on Turn 4, while we are still on our approach.
2. However, they will be in marching formation to do this. Therefor, they are not a threat at this point, or on turn 5.
3. If they don't rush all out we can establish ourselves in the town before they do - so they need to be extremely aggressive to accomplish this.
4. Turn 5 could result in a huge bumbling mess as we both are in the town, but unable to shoot. Us, because we're moving, and them because they are transitioning from marching order to battle order.
5. If they start at their bridges, instead of the board edge, or have extremely mobile brigades that don't need to use marching formation (like we do), then we would be walking into a major, major ambush on turn 5.

Table 4: Chit Example w/ Sight

The outer circles on our roads represent the spotting range of potential lead AC chits. I have posted a potential formation for them. Things to note:

1. Armored Cars on the AC1 route will be able to spot potential trailing enemy companies on the 4 o'clock road.
2. If they use the Purple Route/advance along the 2 o'clock road we would not be able to detect them until we bumble into them on Turn 5.
3. If their force is around five companies, they can all make it into the town and again we won't be able to see them no matter where we are.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Staff

When line officers are making orders, ensure the following:

Are the orders rules legal? The boche just several turns when they misapplied orders
Are the orders clear? Can a casual reading understand them?
Do the orders follow commander's intent? Are there any misunderstandings?
Are the orders notated properly with arrows?
Do the orders show each phase of movement, and do they have all tiles in all pictures?
Do the orders conflict with other parts of the map (eg, walking into friendly Fires)?

If a line officer hasn't submitted orders within 4 hours of the deadline, Staff are authorized to make ad hoc orders in their place.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

professor_curly posted:

Timetables

Table 2: Enemy Cavalry Movements (Marching Order)

These represent the leading edges of enemy cavalry entering the board in marching order and moving at full speed along the roads. Because of the bridges they have to cross moving from La Dand, they will necessarily be moving single file. Things to note:

1. They can arrive in Stethoscope on Turn 4.
2. If we don't check their movement, they can be at the M4 crossing on Turn 5, and cross in force on Turn 6.
3. Stethoscope represents all of their interior lines. It is the crossroad of the map. They must take it to advance further at any speed.

Table 3: AC + Enemy Movements

Here are the movements plotted together. We can see then where and when likely meeting engagements will occur. Things to note:

1. They can reach Stethoscope before we do. They can be in the town on Turn 4, while we are still on our approach.
2. However, they will be in marching formation to do this. Therefor, they are not a threat at this point, or on turn 5.
3. If they don't rush all out we can establish ourselves in the town before they do - so they need to be extremely aggressive to accomplish this.
4. Turn 5 could result in a huge bumbling mess as we both are in the town, but unable to shoot. Us, because we're moving, and them because they are transitioning from marching order to battle order.
5. If they start at their bridges, instead of the board edge, or have extremely mobile brigades that don't need to use marching formation (like we do), then we would be walking into a major, major ambush on turn 5.

This is a really good post and should be imitated.

Fires, see those nice little time tables for enemy movement on the 2 and 4oclock road? What say you drop arty on those spaces each turn. (Ie, they move to the turn 2 tile, we fire there at turn 2, they move to turn 3, we bomb turn 3, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Loel posted:

If a line officer hasn't submitted orders within 4 hours of the deadline, Staff are authorized to make ad hoc orders in their place.

This has been noted here at Umpire HQ; however, please be aware that any orders posted in the thread by the responsible commander that have not been clearly and specifically revoked will take precedence over emergency orders. Using words such as "Draft" or "Preliminary" do not count as a revocation.

• Locked thread