Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Aren't there some people who are seriously in to Deaf Culture, and are completely against things like cochlear implants because it means being Deaf isn't a Lifestyle any more? I've only heard, never met anyone like that myself, so I dunno.

It's a whole loving thing because they have "their own language". They are like the grumpy rear end in a top hat disability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

"Deaf culture" has gone to some bizarre, occasionally horrifying lengths to try and normalize their disability, from attempting to redefine it as anything other than a disability to vilifying cochlear implants and those who receive them. It feels like an attitude born out of going too far to try and gain respect, swerving from "Hey, don't be assholes to deaf people and put some more Braille around here" to "The deaf have a beautiful culture, and nobody can understand us but us. This is why we need to make more people deaf."

In lighter news, the schadenfreude is that you're not part of the most embarrassing fight of 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jBX5wcZjJE

Suburban white kids make me lol

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Schadenfreude Thread: "Hey, don't be assholes to deaf people and put some more Braille around here"

I'm okay with this.

The schadenfreude is me today.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Solice Kirsk posted:

Schadenfreude Thread: "HEY, DON'T BE ASSHOLES TO DEAF PEOPLE! YOU HEAR ME?

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

What was the context on this on?

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

Shugojin posted:

No idea, I just saw it on Kuvaton

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shugojin posted:

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/the-walking-dead/news/a822656/the-walking-dead-norman-reedus-dragged-out-news-studio-sky/

Finding a little longer video it looks like they wrapped up the segment, it was supposed to go to commercial (or maybe did?) then the producer ran out and wheeled them off.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

waggles posted:

There was at one point a gathering for the deaf and all the deaf people were angerly signing at the wife for allowing her child to get an implant.

I don't know ASL, but I do know the appropriate sign to respond to that.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I've been 100% deaf since the age of 5.
I literally have no loving idea what they're on about regarding 'deaf culture' :psyduck: I'm sorry, guys. If I could explain any of this assholery I would, but I'm just as baffled as you are.

The first time I heard about deaf culture was when people were like jesus asl is racist af maybe they should change some of the words and deaf people were like no gently caress you.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Quality dronenfreude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi91aFdKd9Q

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

snergle posted:

The first time I heard about deaf culture was when people were like jesus asl is racist af maybe they should change some of the words and deaf people were like no gently caress you.
Holy poo poo this is incredible:psypop: I hope I'm not falling for some masterful troll and being mean to deaf people

Alereon has a new favorite as of 01:19 on Mar 8, 2017

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Two Feet From Bread posted:

If you wanted to make a real contribution, lets make fun of the goons who think glass eaters eat actual glass (well the ones who do it more than once).

Good one. Do you think sword swallowers use some sort of gimmick retracting sword as well?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Alereon posted:

Holy poo poo this is incredible:psypop: I hope I'm not falling for some masterful troll and being mean to deaf people

"Yes they're racist but the way he's doing them is making them even more racist and he shouldn't do that."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gromit posted:

Good one. Do you think sword swallowers use some sort of gimmick retracting sword as well?

At the least they don't use sharp ones with genuine blades and pointed ends.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Please don't trigger the carnies

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's hilarious how they managed to come up with something that has pissed literally everybody off. And we haven't even had the people with big sticks chime in yet.

Unfortunately, I can derive only the smallest amount of joy in the suffering because I know that they'll all just gently caress it up even worse

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

I always enjoy watching people crash expensive drones into poo poo, but I'm going to have to say that a guy crashing his drone into one of the towers of the goddamn Hagia Sophia is some of the best schadenfreude I've gotten from this thread. I thought the one flying it into the butte in the middle of the desert was always going to be my favorite, but I could never have guessed what'd top it.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
https://i.imgur.com/McME81r.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/ZdAqx3d.mp4
https://zippy.gfycat.com/SelfreliantAliveCooter.webm

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's been a long time since my History of WW1 and WW2 class, but I thought the US was gonna beat the USSR to a Japanese invasion by several months.

Let's take a minute to think about how hosed up Japan would be right now if the goddamn Russians conquered them.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah, but maybe there would be no anime

Really makes you think

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ElGroucho posted:

Yeah, but maybe there would be no anime

Really makes you think

Soviet anime. :stonk:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Soviet anime. :stonk:

Wasn't this the last Red Alert game?

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

badass picture thread is over there champ

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib

Josef bugman posted:

I didn't understand at all until I realised who Braille is actually for.

Do you have a link to this documentary at all, it sounds fascinating.

I think it's Sound and Fury: Deaf Documentary. The signing begins around 39.50.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

waggles posted:

I think it's Sound and Fury: Deaf Documentary. The signing begins around 39.50.

You did that wrong, champ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdIoSNwNfVs&t=2390s

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rough Lobster posted:

Let's take a minute to think about how hosed up Japan would be right now if the goddamn Russians conquered them.

They couldn't have done anything weirder or dumber than what we did.

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

It's hilarious how they managed to come up with something that has pissed literally everybody off. And we haven't even had the people with big sticks chime in yet.

Unfortunately, I can derive only the smallest amount of joy in the suffering because I know that they'll all just gently caress it up even worse

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Annoying weird kid keeps interrupting a speedrunner at a convention(yeah, that's a thing. i'm surprised too.) and finally gets told to shut up.

Well worth watching the whole thing. It's like a build up of cringe into a volcano of awkwardness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H50nqenYMDM

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ghO670GURc

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

snergle posted:

Well, the A in ASL stands for American so it makes sense to be at least somewhat racist

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That mother is so goddamn entitled. "You want your child to be able to hear and interact with people other than their deaf family without difficulty? You clearly just don't love them because they're deaf!"

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

chitoryu12 posted:

In lighter news, the schadenfreude is that you're not part of the most embarrassing fight of 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jBX5wcZjJE

I think... I think this was featured at Sundance last year..

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

I just love his reaction. "Hm? Oh, we're leaving? Goodbye, everyone~" :3:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

chitoryu12 posted:

That mother is so goddamn entitled. "You want your child to be able to hear and interact with people other than their deaf family without difficulty? You clearly just don't love them because they're deaf!"

Right? If the kid wants to be deaf he can just turn the loving thing off. If he grows up without the implant then the choice is being made for him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The guy running into neck-deep water to save one is very clutch. I thought for sure he wasn't going to make it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

new :rice: movie looking good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just push around the guy on the moped with your car, cars are bigger, you have the right of way.