Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Sorry Corals posted:

the planet's dyin'

"..." :effort:
- Squall Leonhart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A friend said that I should stay away from Fairy Tail because (her words, not mine) "It's like One Piece, except kinda lovely". Is this accurate?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I would've said "a really boring, medieval Get Backers" myself.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wark Say posted:

A friend said that I should stay away from Fairy Tail because (her words, not mine) "It's like One Piece, except kinda lovely". Is this accurate?

As far as being lovely - yes.

Though the main reason it gets compared to One Piece is because the way the artist draws his characters looks similar to Oda's style. Plot wise, they have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Julias posted:

Though the main reason it gets compared to One Piece is because the way the artist draws his characters looks similar to Oda's style. Plot wise, they have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

They do thematically similar things of the main character getting pissed off when his friends/family/guild/crew is threatened. Fairy Tail tends to be a lot more shallow about it

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

its all the same poo poo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mister Macys posted:

Also it's mostly cheesecake but not even very good cheesecake.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

everything in one piece post-impel down is like one piece, except kinda lovely

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hosed up when the only good shonen right now is dragon ball super

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

hosed up when the only good shonen right now is dragon ball super
my hero academia is okay

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

mha isnt bringing back mystic gohan and android 17

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

unless....

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/theremina/status/839314683605573632

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oof! Endorph doling out the harshness!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also it's mostly cheesecake but not even very good cheesecake.
I've grown to accept that some manga/anime/light novels are gonna have fanservice and sometimes they're even gonna be trashy about it. But if it's constantly bombarding me with panels of "LOOKIT DEM TIDDIES!", then yeah, gonna have to give it a pass.

Mister Macys posted:

Julias posted:

Allarion posted:

They do thematically similar things of the main character getting pissed off when his friends/family/guild/crew is threatened. Fairy Tail tends to be a lot more shallow about it
I read somewhere that the lady that did Flunk Punk Rumble / Yamada and the 7 witches used to assist the Fairy Tail guy, but the thing is that FPR ("Delinquent dude and Glasses girl" sounds doofy even in Japanese) was extremely my poo poo. Is it true that, for a while, a goon used to do the scanlations for it?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dr. sunshine wasn't it?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yankee-Kun and Megane-chan, yeah? Pretty sure that was Dr. Sunshine, yeah^. At least, he advocated it a lot.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fairy Tail is consistently mediocre but gets weird in bad ways in the later chapters. Early ones are fun, though.

I still believe in Lucy.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 8, 2017

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The one thing I'll give Fairy Tail is that a lot of the characters introduced early on have nice designs and quite a few have interesting powers.

The problem is all the characters are shallow, almost never use their powers in interesting/creative ways, and it's the embodiment of "friendship gives me power!"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

dr. sunshine wasn't it?

Wait, Dr. Sunshine is the goon that used to have a Chiba (tall guy with a scar) avatar, right? Neat. :)

Julias posted:

The one thing I'll give Fairy Tail is that a lot of the characters introduced early on have nice designs and quite a few have interesting powers.

The problem is all the characters are shallow, almost never use their powers in interesting/creative ways, and it's the embodiment of "friendship gives me power!"
Yeah, I think I'm just gonna re-read Flunk Punk Rumble. Or literally anything else. Today, while revisiting Shin Megami Tensei IV after cheese knows how long and checking the last save file that I left without finishing the game, I fought against 4 of the 7 Fiends. In like 90 minutes.

Today was weird but cool. Good nite!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/jlist/status/839271475756564483

Can't wait to finish Katanagatari and start streaming Madoka

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

what if gohan showed up in fairy tale to defeat the bad guy

makes u think

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

https://twitter.com/jlist/status/839271475756564483

Can't wait to finish Katanagatari and start streaming Madoka
the series or the movies??

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

homeless snail posted:

the series or the movies??

...Yes? I was going to do the series, then Rebellion. Is there more?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

rebellion is the third movie, the first two are compilation movies

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

homeless snail posted:

rebellion is the third movie, the first two are compilation movies

I'm probably not going to do the compilation movies, nah.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM47F1AsQaQ

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm probably not going to do the compilation movies, nah.

That makes total sense, but if you ever decide to rewatch, give the compilation movies a shot. They give a subtly different focus to things, and the animation and especially background work has been touched up. I overall prefer the series, but both are cool.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The complication movies mess up the TV series pacing and there's very little added other than nicer backgrounds and some nuzzling.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
They hosed up the cool scene with Sayaka by using some weird opera vocal remix of the song from the series. It sounds way worse.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

I can't believe the Maka Maka man did a yaoi

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

DisDisDis posted:

I can't believe the Maka Maka man did a yaoi

the fujo girl in virgins empire has her historical doujins fully illustrated, so in the middle of that he mustve realized actually im onto something cool here

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Maybe next he'll draw a comic about two college guys with girlfriends realizing their love for each other and having hot, occasionally public sex.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I hope the fujo girl and the girl whose one defining character trait I've forgotten (foreigner?) have a happy life together

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

DisDisDis posted:

I hope the fujo girl and the girl whose one defining character trait I've forgotten (foreigner?) have a happy life together

same

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Cool, turned my Vita on for the first time in two months only to get a bunch of errors when trying to launch some games, tried rebuilding the database and now it's not seeing any of my games as being installed despite the data being on the memory card. Thanks a lot, Sony. :thumbsup:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
:rip:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Lemon-Lime posted:

Cool, turned my Vita on for the first time in two months only to get a bunch of errors when trying to launch some games, tried rebuilding the database and now it's not seeing any of my games as being installed despite the data being on the memory card. Thanks a lot, Sony. :thumbsup:

At least it doesn't have a plastic screen.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

is kemono friends the best anime of the season?
this poster thinks so

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

everythingWasBees posted:

is kemono friends the best anime of the season?
this poster thinks so
Would you say that Kemono Friends is... the bee's knees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Would you say that Kemono Friends is... the bee's knees?

gently caress you

• Locked thread