Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Lakbay posted:

Yes Miyazaki said they're working on another "dark action rpg" in addition to an armored core reboot and some completely new IP

Was armor Core confirmed or is that just the mysterious presumed project?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Confirmed.

So far all week know is

Armored Core: I'm guessing some sort of reboot

Dark fantasy game

PSVR title. Although it's possible either of the former could just have a VR mode attached.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 8, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

from said dark souls 3 was the last dark souls game, but as far as I know they never said they wouldn't make more games in the same vein. which is totally fine with me since it felt like they kinda ran out of steam with dark souls 3 (or maybe that was just me)

bloodborne 2 probably depends more on sony than it does from. if they want another exclusive, it'll probably be a followup to bloodborne. tho demon's souls 2 probably won't happen without some money changing hands since sony only has publishing rights in japan; they're probably kicking themselves for letting atlus publish it in the west

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
They could reboot Armoured Core into a mech-fighting-based Souls RPG with a dark-fantasy aesthetic/design and VR functionality.

It's not likely, but they could. And I would play the poo poo out of it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

from said dark souls 3 was the last dark souls game, but as far as I know they never said they wouldn't make more games in the same vein. which is totally fine with me since it felt like they kinda ran out of steam with dark souls 3 (or maybe that was just me)

bloodborne 2 probably depends more on sony than it does from. if they want another exclusive, it'll probably be a followup to bloodborne. tho demon's souls 2 probably won't happen without some money changing hands since sony only has publishing rights in japan; they're probably kicking themselves for letting atlus publish it in the west

I'm a lover of Dark Souls 3 but I'd rather see them do something else in the same vein ala Bloodborne. It doesn't even have to be as close to Souls as BB was, just want it to retain a lot of the core appeal.

I'd be shocked if they were actually done with souls though. I'd personally like to see it return in like 4 years with a fresh coat of paint. I know they said it was over but this is the company that has made like 15 AC games and they are making a new one, while that series wasn't a fraction as successful as Souls was.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

I'm a lover of Dark Souls 3 but I'd rather see them do something else in the same vein ala Bloodborne. It doesn't even have to be as close to Souls as BB was, just want it to retain a lot of the core appeal.

I'd be shocked if they were actually done with souls though. I'd personally like to see it return in like 4 years with a fresh coat of paint. I know they said it was over but this is the company that has made like 15 AC games and they are making a new one, while that series wasn't a fraction as successful as Souls was.

they don't own souls they want to make something huge that they own i'd bet

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Metal Wolf Chaos 2. We need to believe in the office of the President again

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't ever want there to be a dark souls 4

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

they don't own souls they want to make something huge that they own i'd bet

Good point. Although Sony owns Demons Souls and all they did was change half of the name and make a bunch of sequels for a different company.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't ever want there to be a dark souls 4

This is a pretty odd attitude to me. Why anyone would be vehemently opposed to a continuation of something they like or other people like , under any circumstances. Meanwhile everyone decides they like Call of Duty of Battlefield again every other year for some reason.

Don't get me wrong I can understand why some people (myself included to some degree) think it was in danger of getting stale. But some IPs have been going on for 20 years and still have good entries but people just rant about how dark souls needs to be buried because why, the third one didn't reinvent the wheel again? Big whoop.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

This is a pretty odd attitude to me. Why anyone would be vehemently opposed to a continuation of something they like or other people like , under any circumstances. Meanwhile everyone decides they like Call of Duty of Battlefield again every other year for some reason.

I don't think there's much overlap between people who want DS3 to be the end and people who love the never ending stream of CoD...

People want it to end because From is a fantastic studio and we don't want to see them squander their creatively on renditions of the same setting. I want to see what else Miyazaki and friends can do, even if it's just new thematic angles like BB was.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I agree. And it seems like From does too because they are taking a break from it indefinitely or possibly not making any more.

I just don't know why the idea of them coming back down the line and revisiting it is so bad. Certainly there is probably overlap with people wanting a nail in the coffin of Dark Souls and people clamor if for a Kings field/shadow tower reboot? IMO if they went and started making games nothing like Souls people would be begging for a new one in a couple of years.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Demons Souls was the King's Field reboot.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dark souls did get stale. they put out too much, too fast

what they could do instead of making dark souls 4 is making a game in the same vein but not exactly that same thing yet again. which is what they've been really good at doing

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Metal Wolf Chaos 2. We need to believe in the office of the President again

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah, for sure. But there is only so much they can do thematically in that style and they do Dark medieval poo poo extremely well. I wouldn't expect them not to revisit that. And I wouldn't want them not to. And that would basically end up being dark souls again regardless of the name.

Well not that party about dark souls getting stale. I don't agree with that. I'd use the term "at risk" of getting stale personally.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah its not stale yet, but I'd much rather things I enjoy be allowed to go out in their prime than reach that point. 5 games in 8 years is plenty.

And when I say "prime" I mean Bloodborne.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 8, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I got really bored of dark souls 3 and I didn't expect that to happen. I kinda don't even care about the second dlc after the first one failed to do anything for me. for me it's definitely stale now

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

homeless snail posted:

Demons Souls was the King's Field reboot.

And Dark Souls was Demons Souls 2

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was cool when From trolled people into thinking that Bloodborne was connected directly to Demon's Souls in the early trailers.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't remember that. What was the connection?

All I remember is are those leaked gifs for project beast that got me embarrassingly giddy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Umbasa

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

gehsundheit

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There's a Death Stranding reference in Horizon: Zero Dawn. Pretty neat!

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

What is a good cost effective mic? My current mic apparently does not capture my voice at an acceptable volume at all. I can't do ear buds, so the vita mic is out of the question.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
All I want from FromSoftware is Otogi 3, Metal Wolf Chaos 2, and CyberpunkBorne.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh I absolutely don't give a gently caress about Fromsofts mech games since the PSX era. I'm down with future soulsborne though.

Edit: Although From in it's current state might make something cool out of it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 8, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

It was cool when From trolled people into thinking that Bloodborne was connected directly to Demon's Souls in the early trailers.

It wasn't a troll, Miyazaki at one point thought "Hey they could be in the same world, lets have some references." Later he (rightly) decided that was kind of corny and had it cut.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i have never played a 'souls' game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

fridge corn posted:

You should they are fun

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

You should they are fun

i plan to get bloodborne as my next game purchase but I am fairly mediocre to bad at video games so I am scared :(

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

fridge corn posted:

i plan to get bloodborne as my next game purchase but I am fairly mediocre to bad at video games so I am scared :(

That's everyone when they start Souls. You'll be bad but then you'll git gud.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

fridge corn posted:

friend if you thought FFXV's battle system was hold O to win and couldn't figure out why it was a slog, you'll have fun dying over and over in Bloodborne without figuring out why what you're doing isn't working.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

What is a good cost effective mic? My current mic apparently does not capture my voice at an acceptable volume at all. I can't do ear buds, so the vita mic is out of the question.

What is cost effective for you? For a lower-end studio quality mic you're probably looking at either the audio technica AT2020+ or blue yeti. I got an AT2020+ and it is very good, although probably not the best choice if you are exclusively going to use it for games because it picks up absolutely everything.

bloodychill posted:

Or spend an entire weekend watching half-watching a stream even though they have no interest in a game at all. We have too much money and time on our hands apparently. Although, honestly I like constructive criticism from people who play a game more than "I watched this one cutscene and read this tweet and...!" type criticism, which is pretty bad and ubiquitous. A lot of the people who hate on popular game series do this a ton, though they'll usually have it backed up with "I tried an hour at my friend's house so I know it's bad! Sure I already had a weird chip on my shoulder about it already but...!"

This definitely happens a lot on this forum. You can generally tell because they're not capable of giving more than one sentence on why something is actually bad, and it's questionable if they've played it for any real length of time at all. Once the goonthink has deemed something bad, its very mention is just treated as a smug jab, and that's it. Lords of the fallen does not have issues that are easy to ignore, but I've yet to see more than one other person actually explain what's wrong with it, when there's a very interesting breakdown to be made between what that game does wrong vs what it does right. I think if horizon zero dawn had turned out to just be merely decent then this may have carried over to it too, all because people were already losing their minds over that one cutscene. But then after watching a stream for two hours I saw a glitch happen, confirming that it is irredeemable trash!

Fallout 4's got some good points. Bloodborne's not perfect. There's a lot more nuance to this stuff than people imply.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Neo Rasa posted:

All I want from FromSoftware is Otogi 3, Metal Wolf Chaos 2, and CyberpunkBorne.

I really wish they would bring Otogi 1 and 2 back as simple ports digitally. I don't have an Xbox anymore and still can't believe they were never made backwards compatible on 360.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Digirat posted:

This definitely happens a lot on this forum. You can generally tell because they're not capable of giving more than one sentence on why something is actually bad, and it's questionable if they've played it for any real length of time at all. Once the goonthink has deemed something bad, its very mention is just treated as a smug jab, and that's it. Lords of the fallen does not have issues that are easy to ignore, but I've yet to see more than one other person actually explain what's wrong with it, when there's a very interesting breakdown to be made between what that game does wrong vs what it does right. I think if horizon zero dawn had turned out to just be merely decent then this may have carried over to it too, all because people were already losing their minds over that one cutscene. But then after watching a stream for two hours I saw a glitch happen, confirming that it is irredeemable trash!

Fallout 4's got some good points. Bloodborne's not perfect. There's a lot more nuance to this stuff than people imply.

Yeah, this definitely happened with Knack.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Disc Jam is pretty rad. I hadn't even heard of it before today. looks like another good month for PS+

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

morallyobjected posted:

friend if you thought FFXV's battle system was hold O to win and couldn't figure out why it was a slog, you'll have fun dying over and over in Bloodborne without figuring out why what you're doing isn't working.

Dying over and over sounds like good encouragement to change things up and do something different. FFXV was literally hold O to win because that's what I did through the entire game and there was no reason to change because there was no threat of dying ever.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

fridge corn posted:

A lot of games are copying the mechanics, so you'll also get good at a lot of other games like Horizon by playing Souls games and figuring out how invulnerability frames in dodging works. Parrying, too, but that depends a lot on latency and FPS as well.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

fridge corn posted:

I've played enough to decide they're not for me. Not a fan of the setting and aesthetic and not inclined to put the time into trying to get good.... but I'm glad they're good games and people like them. That said, I'd give a good SciFi/Giant Robot one a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Just got a Pro, my first console since the GameCube.

Starting with Horizon because it was randomly available at a store locally that doesn't actually sell video games normally, and my internet means I'd be waiting until Friday to play something off the PSN.

Then I get to spend an ungodly amount of money and time catching up on years and years of console exclusives. :toot: