Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

REMIX OF THE COLOSSUS BOSS THEME AWWWW YISS

i forget the name but you know the one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Personally I'm digging the combat more than I thought I would. I didn't come in expecting Bayonetta 3 (nor should you without Kamiya being involved), but it seems more like Metal Gear Rising in the sense that it's built around a set of action game fundamentals (typical sword combat and last-second dodges so far) that might be somewhat limited in terms of weapon selection and what-not, but still ends up being pulled off in a very solid fashion. I have been playing on normal, but I have mostly stayed around or under the level of most of the enemies so far. And some of those things do way more damage than I expect at times. Although, I imagine that this game is probably a FFXV type of game where its RPG-ness, item-use, and stats take the forefront ahead of the action combat in the grand scheme of things. The environments themselves are meh, especially while bouncing between this and Horizon, but it seems like the team was able to make full use with what they had.

In all, it's... weird to be playing Yoko Taro game that is actually pretty drat good far.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Yeah this is meant to be a nier game first and foremost. Platinum is just there to make stuff feel smooth for a change which it does. I'm a fan of both platinum games and taro, but Platinum had always said that the combat was going to be toned down mechanics wise for the jrpg fans since the reveal in 2015. It was always gonna be wonky to find a good difficulty balance because of the literal level up mechanics they put in the game.

polish sausage fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 8, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

polish sausage posted:

Yeah this is meant to be a nier game first and foremost. Platinum is just there to make stuff feel smooth for a change which it does. I'm a fan of both platinum games and taro, but Platinum had always said that the combat was going to be toned down mechanics wise for the jrpg fans since the reveal in 2015. It was always gonna be wonky to find a good difficulty balance because of the literal level up mechanics they put in the game.

You level up in Dark Souls and Horizon and the latter is even an open world with side quests. Neither sacrificed interesting combat.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
Not sure if this is spoilers or not, but I'm trying to 100% everything so just to be safe:

Is there any method of finding chests, especially the ones you need to hack, without having to scour the entire map?

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

You level up in Dark Souls and Horizon and the latter is even an open world with side quests. Neither sacrificed interesting combat.

I mean interesting is subjective because I never found dark souls combat interesting. and I haven't even bothered messing with HZD cause I've had enough of the ubisoft style open world. I only really tend to enjoy the DMC-style 60 fps combat and shmups so this is great for me, but I'm just saying that platinum has said this was gonna be toned down mechanically. so im just enjoying flying around watching 2b do her cool animations and getting into genre twisting story stuff. And doing the side-quests, as fetch questy as they seem, were great for me since there's a great deal of character development and story in them and they get deeper each route. similar to the yakuza substories.

polish sausage fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 8, 2017

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Bugblatter posted:

Dark Souls pretty much begins and ends at methodical level design, enemy placement, and boss patterns while using a pretty simple moveset. Valid choice, just different. Horizon is essentially an action game first with a leveling component to unlock some incremental skills (or just flat out QoL upgrades); being max level is never going to enable you to take out a Thunderjaw any faster than if you were at level 15. Hell, goes more the route of Monster Hunter than anything else with how vital crafting and mods are over everything else.

But hey, if you don't like Automata's gameplay, then that's still cool, you do you. I personally just don't find the opposite of people digging it really outlandish.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Like I dug Yoko Taro's storytelling so much that I was willing to suffer through all of his esoteric bullshit in drakengard 1(Now THAT'S uninspired gameplay) to see it all. Unlike Kojima who hits you over the head with his themes, taro makes you look for it and actually doles his crazy out how in sharp, quick, and powerful ways. The treasure hunt to find out what's he's saying has always been alot of fun to do and the REAL gameplay for me, for a lack of a better word. Now that the actual gameplay not actually grating against me, doing that treasure hunt is the best it's ever been this time. I'm not going to get that experience from HZD or even dark souls which just says gently caress it, drops hints and makes you just go to google to find out what it's story is. But, yeah I feel ya that the gameplay is not what you wanted from platinum games, and that's a shame they didn't bayonetta it. Hopefully you stick with it for the Taro stuff at least.

polish sausage fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 8, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

MechaX posted:

Dark Souls pretty much begins and ends at methodical level design, enemy placement, and boss patterns while using a pretty simple moveset. Valid choice, just different. Horizon is essentially an action game first with a leveling component to unlock some incremental skills (or just flat out QoL upgrades); being max level is never going to enable you to take out a Thunderjaw any faster than if you were at level 15. Hell, goes more the route of Monster Hunter than anything else with how vital crafting and mods are over everything else.

But hey, if you don't like Automata's gameplay, then that's still cool, you do you. I personally just don't find the opposite of people digging it really outlandish.

Horizon's leveling is much the same as Nier's. It increases your max health and raises the lethality of attacks. There is also a skill tree, but it's not hugely different from the chip system (Except you can only have so many chips active at once, so arguably Nier could have you be less overpowered). A leveling system doesn't have to undermine action gameplay if you balance it well. Nier seems to have just plugged in a Platinum combo system to a standard JRPG leveling system without any effort to make the two work together.

Mostly, I just want a level in between normal's "enemies have no teeth" and hard's "they all two shot you" for the early areas and for leveling up to match the increased danger of new enemies. The former is the simplest of tweaks, and the demo was even already fine. The latter is normally handled by levels requiring increased amounts of XP, and enemies awarding amounts of XP relative to their difficulty... it just needs tuned better.

I don't think these two genres are as incompatible as is being claimed. This particular game just didn't do a great job of it.

polish sausage posted:

Like I dug Yoko Taro's storytelling so much that I was willing to suffer through all of his esoteric bullshit in drakengard 1(Now THAT'S uninspired gameplay) to see it all. Unlike Kojima who hits you over the head with his themes, taro makes you look for it and actually doles his crazy out how in sharp, quick, and powerful ways. The treasure hunt to find out what's he's saying has always been alot of fun to do and the REAL gameplay for me, for a lack of a better word. Now that the actual gameplay not actually grating against me, doing that treasure hunt is the best it's ever been this time. I'm not going to get that experience from HZD or even dark souls which just says gently caress it, drops hints and makes you just go to google to find out what it's story is. But, yeah I feel ya that the gameplay is not what you wanted from platinum games, and that's a shame they didn't bayonetta it. Hopefully you stick with it for the Taro stuff at least.

Yeah, I'd never have made it through even the first Nier, let alone a Drakengard, from what I've seen. The demo just gave me confidence that Platinum were on their A game with this one and that kind of dull grind wouldn't be an issue. The most irritating thing is it feels a few tweaks to the RPG system away from having the Platinum combat tuning that I love. Oh well.

I am sticking it out for the time being because the music and weirdness is cool and I did already pay for the digital copy though.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 8, 2017

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I'm glad that HZD is apparently a perfect enough game that it now draws comparisons to both Breath of the Wild and Nier:Automata, two very different games.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lord Justice posted:

Not sure if this is spoilers or not, but I'm trying to 100% everything so just to be safe:

Is there any method of finding chests, especially the ones you need to hack, without having to scour the entire map?

Nope

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I'm glad that HZD is apparently a perfect enough game that it now draws comparisons to both Breath of the Wild and Nier:Automata, two very different games.

It has a leveling system they might as well be the same game.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Wow, I screwed up once thirty minutes into the game (without being able to save) and I HAVE TO START ALL OVER FROM THE VERY BEGINNING?

What the gently caress? That is bullshit and not fun at all. Thanks for wasting my time, I guess.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I'm putting this into babby's first video game mode because gently caress having to repeat the same section over and over and over and over just because it won't let me save. This is not good game design.

Edit: Haha, it's literally playing the game for me. I just move around and the game does all the attacking on its own. This is not fun at all but it's definitely better than having to restart the whole drat game.

...! fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 8, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

It has a leveling system they might as well be the same game.

Not at all what I was trying to say. Just saying the idea that rpg leveling being incompatible with skill based action is wrong. Overleveling isn't an unavoidable outcome.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Lord Justice posted:

Yes, buy Item Scan chip from THE girls

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

dasmause posted:

Heh, never tried that actually so disregard my previous no.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I watched a story summary for the first Nier and decided it looked crazy enough to get this.

Hopefully I didn't make a mistake.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Does the response you give in the 11B's Memento quest change anything later or is it just what you think is the more appropriate response?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Heh, never tried that actually so disregard my previous no.

In the unpatched version of the game, it would only show regular ones. then 1.03 came in and it suddenly added the others. This made it go from "eh, nice I suppose" to basically a must have.

Like seriously there are way more hidden than you'd think.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

dasmause posted:

Thanks for the info, I managed to get it from the supply trader after a bunch of running around. Apparently there's a limit not displayed anywhere (that I can find, anyway) for the number of chips you can carry.

Also, did some manual searching, and wow, there's some poo poo in the lower factory you need to do after going back there as 9S. Hope you like precision platforming.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Mindblast posted:

In the unpatched version of the game, it would only show regular ones. then 1.03 came in and it suddenly added the others. This made it go from "eh, nice I suppose" to basically a must have.

Like seriously there are way more hidden than you'd think.

I just wish it ignored height. It's a miracle that I managed to find that chest in the desert housing area that was on the top of some stairs, I'd never go there on purpose

Lord Justice posted:

Also, did some manual searching, and wow, there's some poo poo in the lower factory you need to do after going back there as 9S. Hope you like precision platforming.

Precision platforming and insta-death crushers and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I finished the desert and this seems a bit on the nose. Laughed at the lil stubby's having ""sex"" though. Right as I noticed them 9S just goes "yep mimicking humans".

Ktan
Apr 15, 2012

Careful.
We don't want to learn from this.
Enjoying the game so far. I really like how the game incorporates dying into the narrative sort of like Dark Souls. Getting ending W the first time made me smile.

I want to second what a lot of people have been saying about the lovely difficulty settings. I have been playing on hard but it seems a lot more like what very hard is described as (i.e., getting one hit killed).

Specifically, I am now on the boss fight with Adam and Eve and it feels like banging my head against the wall. One mistake - a single missed dodge - and I am dead. No room for error at all unless I chug the melee and ranged defense buff potions every 15-30 seconds the entire fight.

I enjoy a challenge but this seems to be lacking the fair part critical to the "tough but fair" Soulsborne design philosophy. Ugh, I really don't want to lower the difficulty, especially with how easy people say normal mode is.

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013

Lord Justice posted:

Thanks for the info, I managed to get it from the supply trader after a bunch of running around. Apparently there's a limit not displayed anywhere (that I can find, anyway) for the number of chips you can carry.

Speaking of the lower factory, there's an incredibly well-hidden chest that practically necessitates the Item Scan chip during the first side-scrolling section that has you climb up ramps that are completely obscured behind one of the circular structures. Felt super good about finding it until it turned out it was just full of crafting materials.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

dasmause posted:

Precision platforming and insta-death crushers and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Those things are instant-death? Glad I managed to avoid them (and they're fairly easy to avoid by dashing into them, thankfully).

blues thief posted:

Speaking of the lower factory, there's an incredibly well-hidden chest that practically necessitates the Item Scan chip during the first side-scrolling section that has you climb up ramps that are completely obscured behind one of the circular structures. Felt super good about finding it until it turned out it was just full of crafting materials.

Thanks for the tip. I went back and got it, and I knew there was something in there the first time but couldn't manage to get on the ramp. This game has some poo poo in it if you're trying to 100% it. Found another precision platforming bit in the forest to get the Cypress Stick, but it wasn't as bad as it looked.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Are there any parts like the factory from the intro/demo or is the whole game boring open world stuff? I feel like the demo duped people into thinking this was a Devil May Cry esque action game.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I mean all the developer comments kind of said otherwise but yeah, there is. Most of the game has linear maps that are functionally dungeons bar the couple of hub maps.

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013

Lord Justice posted:

Thanks for the tip. I went back and got it, and I knew there was something in there the first time but couldn't manage to get on the ramp. This game has some poo poo in it if you're trying to 100% it. Found another precision platforming bit in the forest to get the Cypress Stick, but it wasn't as bad as it looked.

One thing I'm really curious about chest-wise is (end-game spoilers)the Soul Box. There's a bunch of chests on one of the floors inside with unique dialogue playing as you open each one implying they're for completion of certain criteria (going from memory, think the ones I got were killing x amount of enemies, completing x amount of hacking games, doing x amount of android quests, doing x amount of machine quests, retrieving x amount of corpses and one other one that might've been unit data completion, but really unsure). I wonder what else it tracks and if there's more chests that can appear for completing other things, since there was definitely still space for a couple of other chests to potentially spawn.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

blues thief posted:

One thing I'm really curious about chest-wise is (end-game spoilers)the Soul Box. There's a bunch of chests on one of the floors inside with unique dialogue playing as you open each one implying they're for completion of certain criteria (going from memory, think the ones I got were killing x amount of enemies, completing x amount of hacking games, doing x amount of android quests, doing x amount of machine quests, retrieving x amount of corpses and one other one that might've been unit data completion, but really unsure). I wonder what else it tracks and if there's more chests that can appear for completing other things, since there was definitely still space for a couple of other chests to potentially spawn.

What if it's developers loving with you and prompting you to go for 100% completion when there really isn't any ACTUAL reward for it

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013

dasmause posted:

What if it's developers loving with you and prompting you to go for 100% completion when there really isn't any ACTUAL reward for it

Then it's nice to see that Cavia's spirit lives on.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

this game looks really nice

i am not sure if i would be satisfied watching a LP or if i would have to play it myself to enjoy it properly

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Mr President posted:

Are there any parts like the factory from the intro/demo or is the whole game boring open world stuff? I feel like the demo duped people into thinking this was a Devil May Cry esque action game.

Many hours in and there is very little that plays like the demo area. It goes into that mode occasionally, but it tends to be very brief.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

dasmause posted:

Entirely possible, but they are spaced out evenly and I had a few spots left empty, so...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ktan posted:

Enjoying the game so far. I really like how the game incorporates dying into the narrative sort of like Dark Souls. Getting ending W the first time made me smile.

I want to second what a lot of people have been saying about the lovely difficulty settings. I have been playing on hard but it seems a lot more like what very hard is described as (i.e., getting one hit killed).

Specifically, I am now on the boss fight with Adam and Eve and it feels like banging my head against the wall. One mistake - a single missed dodge - and I am dead. No room for error at all unless I chug the melee and ranged defense buff potions every 15-30 seconds the entire fight.

I enjoy a challenge but this seems to be lacking the fair part critical to the "tough but fair" Soulsborne design philosophy. Ugh, I really don't want to lower the difficulty, especially with how easy people say normal mode is.

The difference in Hard and Very Hard is that Hard allows you to mitigate with character builds. I did that fight a little while back on Hard on my second play through and I could take hits thanks to running defense up chips. They did like 75% damage instead. At appropriate level this is.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Everyone is complaining about Normal being too easy, so is the difference between Easy and Normal just the use of auto-chips?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

No, enemies do less damage on easy and take more from your attacks.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Honestly, the plugin chips are probably why the difficulty balance is a bit odd. Using them properly definitely makes hard way more manageable and it feels like it was designed expecting you to toggle it over once normal got too easy for you. I've had a fair bit of fun messing with hard mode. I guess the RNG nature of them kind of fucks with the balancing a bit?

Speaking of normal being easy though. I heard about how tough the superboss was meant to be and prepped by getting to level 99 on my original playthrough, only to find that I absolutely steamrolled them. Definitely jump to hard and start using plugins more carefully if the game feels too easy.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I don't want to sound like an expert on action games or anything, for reference I could never pure platinum Bayonetta or the equivalent on Rising, but I enjoy hard in this game a lot. It's very different from those games, I think the pod usage is way more vital than say, the guns in bayonetta which are basically combo extenders. The starting pod laser does good damage and has a nice area of effect. Chip usage is definitely key. Auto item basically is always a get out of jail free card as long as your health is topped off. I think the dodging is really good in this game, maybe because I'm coming from nioh which had a roll I was never fully comfortable with. I basically beat the desert boss without getting hit and it was exhilarating. 9S actually does a good job distracting enemies so you get breathing room you don't get in other action games. Healing items are cheap, use them. I think enemies doing high damage is fine considering all the ways you have to mitigate that damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Anyone have tips for making money quickly? I'm finding myself constantly broke at the moment and there's a number of things I need to buy as well as, minor sidequest spoiler, needing 100k to finish up the researcher sidequest.