Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Dr. Hurt posted:

Animal Man #26. For context, Animal Man has had his family viciously killed and has been on a cosmic odyssey through continuity nightmares, time, and even limbo to try to find their true killer. It turns out the person responsible is none other than the writer himself. After a bit of conversation and a forced fight, Grant has this to say.

Got you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Man, that whole run is so good.

Though in my typical fashion, probably my favorite thing is something tiny, inconsequential, and unnoticed by everyone else. That being G. Mo using Dumb Bunny to make a joke whose punchline he wouldn't make until decades later in Seven Soldiers.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
drat, really?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yup. In Animal Man 25, Buddy ends up in Comic Book Character Limbo, where obscure characters people have forgotten about or have their stories retconned out of existence hang out, hoping to be brought back into continuity. There's a lot of name-dropping in the issue that is fun if you're a DC nerd. Also, Buddy's main guides end up being the Inferior Five, a group of losers who each have their own superpower offsetting their major setbacks. One of them is Dumb Bunny, who's basically a ditzy playboy bunny type with super strength. The group is hopeful that they'll have their day back in the sun soon:

Jump ahead 16 years to Bulleteer #3, a mini series inside the mini series Seven Soldiers of Justice. It's a really interesting and subversive title, critically examining the way female characters are treated in superhero comics, while hiding behind exactly the sort of cheesecake art that is part of the problem. Also we have a hero who doesn't want to be a superhero, but can do little else after a freak accident gives her invulnerable steel skin and super strength. In this issue, she has gotten a job as a bodyguard at a d-list superhero convention. Naturally the sexy supers on display get far more attention. While discussing how gross this is with a newfound friend, this happens:

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Choco1980 posted:

Yup. In Animal Man 25, Buddy ends up in Comic Book Character Limbo, where obscure characters people have forgotten about or have their stories retconned out of existence hang out, hoping to be brought back into continuity. There's a lot of name-dropping in the issue that is fun if you're a DC nerd. Also, Buddy's main guides end up being the Inferior Five, a group of losers who each have their own superpower offsetting their major setbacks. One of them is Dumb Bunny, who's basically a ditzy playboy bunny type with super strength. The group is hopeful that they'll have their day back in the sun soon:

Jump ahead 16 years to Bulleteer #3, a mini series inside the mini series Seven Soldiers of Justice. It's a really interesting and subversive title, critically examining the way female characters are treated in superhero comics, while hiding behind exactly the sort of cheesecake art that is part of the problem. Also we have a hero who doesn't want to be a superhero, but can do little else after a freak accident gives her invulnerable steel skin and super strength. In this issue, she has gotten a job as a bodyguard at a d-list superhero convention. Naturally the sexy supers on display get far more attention. While discussing how gross this is with a newfound friend, this happens:

I rather preferred how she was portrayed in Foglio's Angel and the Ape mini, to be honest.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Parahexavoctal posted:

I rather preferred how she was portrayed in Foglio's Angel and the Ape mini, to be honest.

That comic also had the best sideburns and bell-bottom pants in the business!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

X-23 #2

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When he dropped her at the mansion to join the NEW X-MEN cast he said she was his sister.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Family relations are fluid and ever-changing in comic books. The sooner you accept this, the happier you'll be.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

When he dropped her at the mansion to join the NEW X-MEN cast he said she was his sister.

I feel like Kyle and Yost really wanted the fraternal/big brother thing, and everyone since has gone the father/daughter route, leading to the movie just straight up having her literally be that.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

"She's my daughter and my sister, bub!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gavok posted:

"She's my daughter and my sister, bub!"

:drat:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like Kyle and Yost really wanted the fraternal/big brother thing, and everyone since has gone the father/daughter route, leading to the movie just straight up having her literally be that.

Well, half and half really. She's a clone in the "in vitro pregnancy" way, not the "grown in a vat" way. But it's close enough as far as the movie is concerned.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wolverine is so frequently painted as an Old Man that a teenage girl being his daughter rather than his sister just is a more natural character relationship between the two.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The guy is like 150 ain't he? That's pretty fuckin old

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Choco1980 posted:

Well, half and half really. She's a clone in the "in vitro pregnancy" way, not the "grown in a vat" way.

So.... his daughter.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

So.... his daughter.

and his clone. Both work was my point.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
this thread's most divisive panel, now voiced

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Impressions aren't half bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Impressions aren't half bad.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Adventures of Superman 500
Posting because of it coming up in the movie thread. Superman is dead, Pa just had a heart attack and is on death's doorstep, and in limbo/purgatory/astral plane/whatever, they find each other and Pa has to convince Superman it's not his time to go.

Still one of my favorite moments in all comics. Never fails to make me misty eyed.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Oh man, I haven't read that in years. My favourite part has always been smacking Not-Jor-El with a shovel, because it's a callback to the earliest post-Crisis issues of Man of Steel, which reestablished Clark's origins in the new continuity and basically defined his look and supporting cast through the 90s.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Comics Alliance shut down at the beginning of April, and Comics Beat put up a page from Daytripper by Gabriel Bá and Fabio Moon at the end of their article:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

hiddenriverninja posted:

Comics Alliance shut down at the beginning of April, and Comics Beat put up a page from Daytripper by Gabriel Bá and Fabio Moon at the end of their article:

Just a reminder that Daytripper is an amazing book and everyone should read it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

Ah man Comic alliance shut down? I hope Chris Sims finds another place, I love his articles.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Yeah, a bad ending can derail lots of stories. Oh well!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Superman 20

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Onmi posted:

Superman 20

And then batman promptly proves himself right.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Superman's package is now modelled on Henry Cavill's.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Gonna bust you off with that super swirm

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Why is Bats investigating a cereal box?

Wait, don't tell me, he's using his detective skills to solve the kids puzzles on the back!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Choco1980 posted:

Why is Bats investigating a cereal box?

Wait, don't tell me, he's using his detective skills to solve the kids puzzles on the back!

He's actually wondering what Superboy has been eating because something is messing with his powers which is still pretty funny

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Trying to figure out why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch, duh

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Who's the girl?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

W.T. Fits posted:

Who's the girl?

There are no girls on that page. The woman is Lois.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

haitfais posted:

There are no girls on that page. The woman is Lois.

Didn't recognize her in that art style.

Also, said art style makes her look like she's 15 or 16 years old, hence my confusion.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Don't forget, Batman doesn't eat pie.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
No wonder none of his relationships last very long.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Squidster posted:

Rockslide and Anole were the best.

X-men: Serve & Protect

a touching moment from an otherwise comedy gold character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

quite stretched out posted: