Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

irlZaphod posted:

I would be pretty happy if they didn't spend their limited first party development time porting over a game which was in HD on their previous system.

I mean, even if they got someone else to port it for them, it just seems like a waste.

Our friends at Tantalus games could probably crank it out in a month. Have them make "The GameCube Zelda collection" for spring 2018(with four swords adventure while they're at it). Ports from that level hardware apparently not difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Infinitum posted:

HD Gamecube games would be nice if they outsourced them to a 3rd party team to port them to the eshop.

Super Mario Sunshine HD :swoon:

If there is one game that needs people to take another look at it, it is Sunshine for some reason people just ragged on that game. I found it quite wonderful and think another release would help people realize how great it is.

basically I loving love Sunshine and you should too.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Looks like Nintendo are being bullied into the mistake of adding streaming media. Too bad.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

I'm like 70 shrines into BOTW and I'm really not sure where they take the series from here. I'm not sure how they top this without taking it in another completely new direction.

BotW is a watershed moment for the series, and I think the next game in the series will have some very very big shoes to fill.
Like I've been playing for a while now and even though I've done an insane amount of exploration I still have half the world to discover... then all the side missions to investigate.. then actually exploring every inch of the map..

It's just insane the sheer size and scope that BotW has managed to accomplish.

That said, I still think there is always going to be room for a more 'traditional' entry into the series.
ALBW was an excellent reimagining of the standard 8-dungeon formula, and I'd love to see a more focused top-down 8-dungeon Zelda on the Switch to see what they'd come up with.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

irlZaphod posted:

I would be pretty happy if they didn't spend their limited first party development time porting over a game which was in HD on their previous system.

I mean, even if they got someone else to port it for them, it just seems like a waste.

The key thing is to get third party conversion studios to handle the process. Studios like Bluepoint and HexaDrive are veritable wizards at this.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Jebediah posted:

No no, there are that many idiots/ADDs/stupids. You have to literally be a dullard to do this wrong.

lol

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cerepol posted:

If there is one game that needs people to take another look at it, it is Sunshine for some reason people just ragged on that game. I found it quite wonderful and think another release would help people realize how great it is.

I never got the hate for Sunshine. Personally I loved the hell out of it, but it was basically the end result of years of collect-a-thon games coming to a head.

I know I can play it on Dolphin in HD, but my PC isn't powerful enough to do so and I'd love to play it again on my Switch.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

parallelodad posted:

Our friends at Tantalus games could probably crank it out in a month. Have them make "The GameCube Zelda collection" for spring 2018(with four swords adventure while they're at it). Ports from that level hardware apparently not difficult.

Well, don't expect anything too soon: Tantalus are busy porting Rime to the Switch.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
silently stewing at the rooftop party as i struggle to remove the wrist strap that these loving drunk dullards put on wrong

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cerepol posted:

It had a lot of tedious filler.

Port it, take out a bunch of blue coins like you took out tears of light, make them persist over every instance of a stage so you don't have to pick a specific one to find it, make the pachinko game control better, make sunglasses a simple menu toggle, make cutscenes skippable, get rid of game overs kicking you out of the world, let you exit and reenter sub-instances of a level like the hotel or amusement park without leaving the stage, and a bunch of other minor QoL improvements.

What was wrong with the game was a bunch of little things that added up, all extremely fixable.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Feenix posted:

2 Zelda Questions:

1) I'm early on... but I have run into a rock monster and a bunch of spider tank things. I avoided the tank walker things to get to the temple they were near... they seemed (as did the rock giant) to take no damage from my attacks. Are they just a " later" thing? Or was I not doing something right?

2) I found the 3 shrines easily enough... Stasis, Bomb and umm Magnet. I cannot find the 4th. Any help?

1.) If you are that early on and only had three shrines when you ran into the rock giant, yea probably run away. But to defeat him I went to a higher ground, and paraglided down on top of him and used melee on that little hump on his head, which is the main target to kill him

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sunshine is the only 30FPS mainline Mario game. Hopefully if they put it out in VC they can remove the lock.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Nephzinho posted:

I'm like 70 shrines into BOTW and I'm really not sure where they take the series from here. I'm not sure how they top this without taking it in another completely new direction.

*That's 70 shrines with 3 areas of the map I haven't even been to, with my map marked up with "hey that looks interesting" features all over the place still. I've never had so much trouble trying to decide what to do in a game (and have relegated that duty to the partner).

My wife and I have wondered the same thing. This game is pretty much peak Zelda, the realization of the original 30 year old idea. I know that some criticize the games for basically re-doing the same Hyrule locales over and over again that were originally seen in Link to the Past, but good gosh in this game the ones that you do visit are so well done and fleshed out so much that I don't see how they could really improve on it without it seeming same-old same-old, at least not for probably another 10-15 years. I've sat in awe at several places I've discovered, and I'm only like 15 hours in with one major dungeon beat!

I think the only way to go is probably do different stories in different lands, and get really crazy ala Majora's Mask or Link's Awakening. Regardless, it's amazing playing this every night.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Teenage Fansub posted:

Sunshine is the only 30FPS mainline Mario game. Hopefully if they put it out in VC they can remove the lock.

I doubt it. Virtual Console releases aim for a 1:1 parity with the original release. You need a HD remaster treatment to get 60 fps or higher.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Infinitum posted:

That said, I still think there is always going to be room for a more 'traditional' entry into the series.
ALBW was an excellent reimagining of the standard 8-dungeon formula, and I'd love to see a more focused top-down 8-dungeon Zelda on the Switch to see what they'd come up with.

This was my thought, that they could do a very linear 2D Zelda as it has been quite a while since we've seen that. Give it the polish that LBW got and it would be awesome. I'm just blown away at how dense BOTW is 30+ hours later (I wish that thing would update). I accidentally entered the castle and pretty much explored for ten minutes before deciding I don't want this to end I better bail.

Having said that, there are some quality of life changes that would've been nice with cooking, armor "favorites", notes on the map, framerate in dock, remapping controls, etc, but all things I can live with. I'm pretty sure I know what "the spoiler" is from the first memory I found and each one since kind of furthers it -- all of my friends are avoiding spoiler threads too and are a little behind me, so I literally had to wake up my fiance to explain it to her just so I could talk about it.

Also, restating that 70 shrines in there is a clear front runner for Best Shrine and if you haven't gone there, you should. No context provided beyond "Bring Arrows" (but you should probably be buying every arrow you see from every vendor you see anyway). Go to Death Mountain, look on your map in the lava to the northwest, get inside the crab.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Looks like Nintendo are being bullied into the mistake of adding streaming media. Too bad.

Whats wrong with being able to stream?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think you'll be able to stream, I think the capture button will probably be able to get relatively short video clips for sharing on social media. Unless you are referring to a new announcement I haven't seen.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Man I just thought of how cool would a Samba de Amigo game would be using the joycons with HD Rumble would be

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

Also, restating that 70 shrines in there is a clear front runner for Best Shrine and if you haven't gone there, you should. No context provided beyond "Bring Arrows" (but you should probably be buying every arrow you see from every vendor you see anyway). Go to Death Mountain, look on your map in the lava to the northwest, get inside the crab.

Yeah just did this one. It's awesome.

I love that the basically looked at what makes a Zelda dungeon memorable and went "Why don't we just strip out all the puzzles and then make 100 enclosed puzzles, then have the dungeons as a much more complex puzzle to solve"

It really really works well :allears:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Destructoid gave 1-2-Switch a 4.5/10

https://www.destructoid.com/review-1-2-switch-422668.phtml

Honestly that seems about right. I got it on the cheap, and it really doesn't have much legs to it.
Hopefully by the holiday season it'll be a pack-in for new buyers, and heavily discounted for everyone else.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

One last thing on my BOTW feelings- this also feels like the culmination of the last 30 years of Nintendo, especially with many of the old guard developers letting the newer guys do their thing with it, while still providing a guiding hand when needed. The developer stories already coming out are so interesting, particularly when Aonuma and Miyamoto were sold on the idea of BOTW by way of a tech demo, and Miyamoto spent hours just climbing trees :3:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'll probably get it once a significant discount is available.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Policenaut posted:

The key thing is to get third party conversion studios to handle the process. Studios like Bluepoint and HexaDrive are veritable wizards at this.
I still don't see the point, I know the WiiU didn't have a huge install base but it seems like a waste. Grezzo handled the Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask ports to the 3DS, but when you look at the originals they really benefited from them.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Having an issue where only the left joycon stops responding. It's intermittently losing connection with the Switch but I'm only about 5 feet from it, is the antenna really that weak?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I like how many people are smugly asking me how many problems I've had with my Switch.

Everything works great for me :shrug:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Yeah just did this one. It's awesome.

I love that the basically looked at what makes a Zelda dungeon memorable and went "Why don't we just strip out all the puzzles and then make 100 enclosed puzzles, then have the dungeons as a much more complex puzzle to solve"

It really really works well :allears:

I'm totally regretting not getting the deluxe guide when it went to $50. I kind of want to do as much as I possibly can in a vacuum (or with limited input from IRL friends - it seriously is the Zelda 1 "you need to work with people to find everything" taken to the extreme") before breaking out a guide to find the best Ancient farm spots, find the Korok seeds I missed, and solve any Shrine side quests I couldn't figure out (seriously, what the gently caress is 17 of 24, this is either way simpler or way more complex than I am thinking).

Ehud posted:

I like how many people are smugly asking me how many problems I've had with my Switch.

My only problem is that I'm not playing it right now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's a common issue. Best you can do is move your switch as far away from other wireless devices as you can. Or mod it if you're brave, one person on YouTube has great success soldering on an antenna.

I haven't had major issues and only had desyncing twice ever so far, but it all comes down to set up, how an individual might hold the thing, how crowded your 2.4ghz spectrum is, etc.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Ehud posted:

Same. It's like a jealous rage and it's great.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:siren: ATTN AUS GOONS - Target's eBay store has cheap games + accessories :siren:

USE CODE - CDARKER

Pro Controller $69 AUD
Joycons Grey $79 AUD

Zelda BotW - $59 AUD
1-2-Switch - $39 AUD

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

My only problem is that I'm not playing it right now.

Quoted for honesty. Can't wait to have evenings free in a couple weeks to really dive in.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

what the gently caress is 17 of 24

I don't own this game yet or even a Switch but with no context this sounds like 5pm military time. 17:00 out of 24 hours. Doesn't Zelda have a day night system? Did this help?

Dr. Cool Aids fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 8, 2017

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Probably, but in context I was annoyed/frustrated and moved on to something else. My map is filled with stars for "there was a shrine puzzle or a korok seed here that made you mad, come back drunk".

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 8, 2017

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Use spoiler tags you dweebs

E: thanks, forums friend

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 8, 2017

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Infinitum posted:

:siren: ATTN AUS GOONS - Target's eBay store has cheap games + accessories :siren:

USE CODE - CDARKER

Pro Controller $69 AUD
Joycons Grey $79 AUD

Zelda BotW - $59 AUD
1-2-Switch - $39 AUD

lol this ended like 3 hours ago my dude

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

jisforjosh posted:

Having an issue where only the left joycon stops responding. It's intermittently losing connection with the Switch but I'm only about 5 feet from it, is the antenna really that weak?

i've had this issue too. my dock/switch is on the floor, and there's a wooden table between me on the couch and the switch, which i guess interferes with the signal.

i'm also only around 5 feet away from the console, and i experienced occasional drops in connectivity with the left joycon. the solution was to move my table out of the way :shrug:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Miley Virus posted:

lol this ended like 3 hours ago my dude

Too busy playing Zelda :v:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If you're in the Seattle area, like 15 targets for pro controllers near closing last night and have stock as of 7 am

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Feenix posted:

2 Zelda Questions:

1) I'm early on... but I have run into a rock monster and a bunch of spider tank things. I avoided the tank walker things to get to the temple they were near... they seemed (as did the rock giant) to take no damage from my attacks. Are they just a " later" thing? Or was I not doing something right?

2) I found the 3 shrines easily enough... Stasis, Bomb and umm Magnet. I cannot find the 4th. Any help?

If You climb a new tower you should be able to spot 2-3 shrines from there* **
*Depends on the area
**You might have found these shrines already.

Look at the map, its got lots of names on stuff. If theres a suspicious hill and its named there might be something up there.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Exchange you desyncing joycons while you still have consumer rights during your return period

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

irlZaphod posted:

There's only so much you can do to account for stupid people. The straps literally have a little "+" and "-" on them to show which joycon you're supposed to connect them to.

The rails could be keyed

• Locked thread