Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

canyoneer posted:

Well, the A in ASL stands for American so it makes sense to be at least somewhat racist

yea pretty sure the euro sign language is just as bad but don't have proof because i only know asl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powershift posted:

Just push around the guy on the moped with your car, cars are bigger, you have the right of way.

An excellent demonstration of the HULK SMASH style of fighting.

edit: among the files that were liberated from the CIA and published recently, the CIA make sure to keep track of very important cultural phenomena, such as emoji.

̿ ̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪●)=/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿ ̿

Umm, I guess it's the Eric Harris emoji?

Memento has a new favorite as of 06:15 on Mar 8, 2017

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Chromatic posted:

Annoying weird kid keeps interrupting a speedrunner at a convention(yeah, that's a thing. i'm surprised too.) and finally gets told to shut up.

Well worth watching the whole thing. It's like a build up of cringe into a volcano of awkwardness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H50nqenYMDM

This is actually pretty good for the part after he gets told to shut up when the donors make him do poo poo.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Random Stranger posted:

It's hilarious how they managed to come up with something that has pissed literally everybody off. And we haven't even had the people with big sticks chime in yet.

Unfortunately, I can derive only the smallest amount of joy in the suffering because I know that they'll all just gently caress it up even worse
It's sort of interesting to consider the possibility that maybe Obama et al didn't do a really good job because it is impossible to do a good job and every other option was even worse. ("It is impossible to do a great job and every other option is even worse" is now my new motto for life.)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Nr31Lv6H8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNIhvo16_kA

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Don't be assholes to blind people and maybe speak a bit louder for a change.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Just push around the guy on the moped with your car, cars are bigger, you have the right of way.

Obelix apparently alive and well and driving a scooter.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Memento posted:

edit: among the files that were liberated from the CIA and published recently, the CIA make sure to keep track of very important cultural phenomena, such as emoji.

That's actually a pretty handy document. Thanks CIA.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento posted:

CIA posted:

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ ← baby seal
[…]
(`・ω・´) <-- Pedobear?

So close.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Chromatic posted:

Annoying weird kid keeps interrupting a speedrunner at a convention(yeah, that's a thing. i'm surprised too.) and finally gets told to shut up.

Well worth watching the whole thing. It's like a build up of cringe into a volcano of awkwardness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H50nqenYMDM

Annoying weird kid in this video is the guy doing the speed running. Guy speaking is just trying to make a very boring amount of time slightly less boring. Donors who get him to do poo poo for cash are great and he's a great guy for doing it too. Hero.

Olympic Mathlete has a new favorite as of 11:27 on Mar 8, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I always wondered why the people on the couches at those things don't talk more and half of them never say anything, and now I know they're all trying to avoid getting called out like that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, I enjoyed occasionally watching speedruns of games I liked when the person doing it would talk about what they were doing, "Now, I stand against the door and toss the grenade straight down and, there I go, right through the locked door" and how their tricks worked.

Now they turn on their tool sets to get everything frame perfect and sit there without moving for three quarters of an hour. Why even bother having a mike or camera in that case?

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

It's worth mentioning that off-camera there's some dumbass loudly signing "Worldstar!" while that fight goes down.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

PostNouveau posted:

I always wondered why the people on the couches at those things don't talk more and half of them never say anything, and now I know they're all trying to avoid getting called out like that.

I mean, that, and also the fact that they have negative personality and speaking would just be adding diarrhea icing to the existing turd cake.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Memento posted:

This makes sense. A lot of the communications they monitor are going to involve them and they need to document the context both for out of touch guys making decisions and for future reference when twenty years later the cultural context of the eggplant emoji has been lost ("We don't know why Vladimir Putin was so obsessed with eggplants!"). But think for a moment of the poor CIA officer who has to document the true meaning of :gooncamp: .

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
When I studied ASL a couple years back we learned all sorts of weird poo poo, but I think the one that took the cake was the day our Deaf teacher told us that calling him "hearing disabled" was the same as calling a black person the n-word.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

Now they turn on their tool sets to get everything frame perfect and sit there without moving for three quarters of an hour. Why even bother having a mike or camera in that case?

For the reaction vids when they gently caress up.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Jummy posted:

When I studied ASL a couple years back we learned all sorts of weird poo poo, but I think the one that took the cake was the day our Deaf teacher told us that calling him "hearing disabled" was the same as calling a black person the n-word.

So what did he want to be called? Mos Deaf?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jummy posted:

:cripes:

Was it ok if you didn't use a hard "f", or is it still just their word?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Chichevache posted:

How could they tell

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I just want you to know that I chuckled. :golfclap:

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Chichevache posted:

He said they wanted to be called Deaf, and there's a big difference between Deaf and deaf. Deaf means you're all-in on the culture, we heard stories like what someone mentioned earlier where they were totally against Cochlear implants and at the nearby Deaf school if you could hear even a little bit then you were basically ostracized.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I really, really wish.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jummy posted:

He said they wanted to be called Deaf, and there's a big difference between Deaf and deaf. Deaf means you're all-in on the culture, we heard stories like what someone mentioned earlier where they were totally against Cochlear implants and at the nearby Deaf school if you could hear even a little bit then you were basically ostracized.

It’s like when someone capitalises “white”, as in the race.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jummy posted:

So deaf people are disableist?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I feel deaf people just double down extra hard on being unique and cool because they'll never get to enjoy music as intended. I know I'd probably go crazy if I wasn't able to listen to music. :/

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

This makes sense. A lot of the communications they monitor are going to involve them and they need to document the context both for out of touch guys making decisions and for future reference when twenty years later the cultural context of the eggplant emoji has been lost ("We don't know why Vladimir Putin was so obsessed with eggplants!"). But think for a moment of the poor CIA officer who has to document the true meaning of :gooncamp: .

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Jummy posted:

Deaf people stories

I live in a city with two big state run schools, a school for the deaf and a school for the blind. I used to sell men's clothing, and every time a blind dude came in, it was always a lot of fun, because they would ask you to walk them around, feel the clothing, ask how things look, ask about style, and try things on. They'd usually bring a friend and we'd have a good time. Never had a bad experience with a blind guy.

The deaf guys would come in, become irate if you didn't know sign language, and then write out what they were looking for; however, it was always in the most chicken-scratch, terrible loving handwriting ever. They hit another level of rude in writing, too. "TUXEdo! NeeD it NoW!" It was never fun, even when they could lip read.

I get the frustration of not being able to communicate, but goddamn, work on your handwriting and grammar. Even the dudes who had little PDA devices had terrible syntax in their sentences.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I feel deaf people just double down extra hard on being unique and cool because they'll never get to enjoy music as intended. I know I'd probably go crazy if I wasn't able to listen to music. :/

Someone hasn't seen Mr. Holland's Opus.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ElGroucho posted:

The deaf guys would come in, become irate if you didn't know sign language, and then write out what they were looking for; however, it was always in the most chicken-scratch, terrible loving handwriting ever. They hit another level of rude in writing, too. "TUXEdo! NeeD it NoW!" It was never fun, even when they could lip read.

I get the frustration of not being able to communicate, but goddamn, work on your handwriting and grammar. Even the dudes who had little PDA devices had terrible syntax in their sentences.

Sign language actually uses a simpler syntax than spoken sentences, it's almost a different language that just happens to use the same words. I guess some of them carry that over to the written word as well? I know a deaf guy whose Facebook posts were pretty hard to decipher because it always felt like he left out half the words although he's gotten a lot better recently.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Eponine posted:

Someone hasn't seen Mr. Holland's Opus.

You would be quite correct.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You would be quite correct.

If you took any sort of music class in the late 90's then the teacher inevitably had to show the class Mr. Holland's Opus. I had one that just showed it every time he was sick or whatever and needed something for the substitute to "do" with the class. Same movie every time, always Mr. Holland's Opus.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

This is pretty much America in 2017.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Trebek posted:

LOL if that guy thinks any modern republican can even read at the grade level necessary for even the NRO

The days of Buckley republicans are long dead, friend-o

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Trebek posted:

It's a very weird place.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Sign language actually uses a simpler syntax than spoken sentences, it's almost a different language that just happens to use the same words. I guess some of them carry that over to the written word as well? I know a deaf guy whose Facebook posts were pretty hard to decipher because it always felt like he left out half the words although he's gotten a lot better recently.

Yeah, this is pretty common. Then there's the issue of learning to read and write without having the added benefit of knowing what the words sound like. Language probably develops differently without being able to hear.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I imagine sign language cuts alot of useless words out for speed of communication and context becomes important so switching from sign to written is maybe like switching to another language, you don't know the grammar but it's not necessary to get your point across. Probably gets wierd when some aspects are part of the body language as well so 'Can you please get me a size larger' becomes 'Get size larger'. Or maybe deaf people are just assholes.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
It also doesn't help that most (American) public schools aren't equipped for deaf or HoH students, so they just stick them in special ed classes and they don't get proper written language instruction. I worked with a deaf guy for a few summers whose parents pulled him out of middle school for that reason and sent him to a Deaf school to actually get some semblance of an education.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

https://media.spreadthesign.com/video/mp4/13/51085.mp4 https://media.spreadthesign.com/video/mp4/13/58550.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Anything making fun of Milo Yiannopoulos and his misfortune is velvet to me. http://theberry.com/2017/02/21/the-most-hilariously-ice-cold-reactions-to-milo-yiannopolous-losing-his-career-lr/

this classic

oh please no

Also for a long time I thought his name was Milo Breitbart, I don't know if it counts as schadenfreude but my friends seemed to find it amusing.