Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

(Even More) Rules: Delicious Hot, Disgusting Cold

By popular demand, a few more things that you might want to know. At some point I'm going to go re-collate all my rules posts and stick links to them at the start of the thread. Firstly, and most importantly, let's talk about erections...

Trenches

Let's talk about spotting and movement and trenches. A company in a trench has both protective and spotting cover. Two opposing companies in trenches have cover from each other; if they're 5" apart, they don't see each other unless one of them fires, and the fired-upon unit has protective cover against being shot. A company in a trench moves at half speed; and companies in trenches cannot pass through friendly infantry companies, unless the company in question is suppressed.

You've seen close combat in the open: the rules for close combat in the open are unchanged and just as deadly as before. Close combat in a trench works differently - it's a much more dicey affair and there is a non-zero chance that it might backfire on the company that initiates close combat. (It is, however, still better to charge than to be charged.)

I often refer to entrenchments which are inhabited by artillery companies as "gun-pits", but they have the same mechanical effect as a trench. Artillery can locate itself in any trench and fire out of any trench.

The Sunken Road

The sunken road offers the same protective cover as a trench; however, companies in the sunken road can spot other companies in the sunken road at unmodified spotting distance. A trench in the sunken road is more protective than a trench anywhere else, and you're back to trench spotting.

Trenches and Roads

If a trench is dug over or through a road, companies can still pass through, but they drop to half speed while they go through the entrenched section. Brigades in Marching Order do not have to leave Marching Order. Wheeled companies (like bicycle companies, which you will surely see again at some point) treat it as a roadblock.

Barbed Wire

Companies may always pass through their own barbed wire without penalty. A company that comes into contact with enemy barbed wire stops and loses its movement. It then takes the whole of the next turn to cross to the other side of the wire, and then proceeds on the turn after that. During the middle turn of its movement through the wire, it may not charge nor use rifle fire.

Roadblocks

Roadblocks may be constructed on roads only. A company that encounters a roadblock loses half its movement for that turn and then continues if it still has movement left. A wheeled company loses all its movement for that turn.

Barricades

An engineer can build a 60x60 Barricade inside a trench; it takes the same amount of time, 4 turns, as it does to build a roadblock. Barricades are impassable to all units, but do not block LOS and may be fired through. A company that encounters a Barricade will attempt to go around it, leaving the trench if necessary in order to do so.

Sighting Enemy Erections

All erections are invisible until they are completed. You do not become aware of enemy erections unless you spot them, and your men are not self-aware enough to avoid them on their own initiative. If you draw me an arrow that just so happens to go through the enemy's wire, your men are going to go through that wire. I will not accept conditional orders to the effect of "Avoid any obstacles you see on the way". That would unacceptably nerf the power of erections; and I am expecting to see plenty of erections this round.

Destroying Erections

An erection may be removed by an engineer in half the time it took to build; or by a non-engineer in the same time that it took to build. Companies will never automatically remove erections; they must have a specific order to remove a specific erection and again, I will not accept generalised conditionals to the effect of "Remove all erections spotted". If indirect fire hits an erection, there is a chance that it may be destroyed.

Trenches may not be destroyed or removed; once they are on the board, they are on the board. Telephone lines cannot be cut by indirect fire.

Telephones Without Towns

You may have noticed that there are relatively few towns on this map compared to the last one. Roads still carry telephone lines; a Divisional HQ which is entrenched and within 8" of a road will automatically hook its field telephone into the telephone network.

Engineers may now repair telephone lines; the company must first travel down the road, inspecting the telephone line as it goes, until it finds a break. It then stops and takes 2 full turns to repair the break. Both DHQ and the engineer are immediately aware when telephone contact has been restored.

The Spotter Plane

Every morning at 0800, the Corps Commander will receive one Spotter Plane mission to use at their discretion. As before, the Spotter Plane will attempt to spot everything within 24" of a marked location; there is no mechanic to reflect it flying out and back. If the Spotter Plane is not used that day, its mission is lost; you cannot bank unused Spotter Plane flights.

Fords

All the crossings of that little middle river are fords. You may certainly attempt to build your own bridges.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh my

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazycryodude posted:

Alright, we've been hard at work in Roll20, and have a preliminary OOB. If you've volunteered for a line officer spot and didn't get one, fear not - there's still PLENTY to come, this is just for the first day and a half.

For everyone who's in the OOB, please chime in within 72 hours to confirm you're still active and accept your command.

18th Cav - Saros
1bde - Ikashuhito
2bde - The Sandman
3bde - mossyfisk
4bde - RaffyTaffy

72nd Inf - Flesnolk
1bde - HEY GAIL
2bde - Capfalcon
3bde - Koolkevz666
4bde - Fatis Munk
accept and wb to everyone from the first round

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah sorry we couldn't give everybody what they wanted. We had approximately 10 trillion cavalry applicants and like 2 infantry, so we just did it first come, first served spiced with a bit of "make sure there are people who know the game in positions X and Y." If you guys want to switch that's Flesnolk's call, just know that the first 2 cav brigades are the spearhead so be active and know the rules well.
i prefer infantry, i don't have the temperament for cav

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

mossyfisk posted:

18th Cav, 3bde reporting in.

Anything specific you want me planning ahead for on Turn 10, Saros?

We are probably going to need to see what's going on before being sure what we want you to do. Maybe some contingency orders to move up to Stethoscope in case we don't get a chance to change them.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I think it is a little unfair to force us to move through an unknown enemy defensive fortification with no choice in the matter. At the very least you should allow us some sort of contingency order where instead of outright avoiding the fortification we are instead allowed to have our Brigades halt on spotting them so that we can choose to either go through or to forge some other route.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

HEY GAIL posted:

i prefer infantry, i don't have the temperament for cav

Oh wait I'm a dummy who forgets what my own divisions are. You're definitely infantry, I worded it weird. Fixed now, any switches should be okay'd by both Saros and Flesnolk

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

In other news, lots of credit to mossyfisk in the Roll20 for catching that Trin mentioned wheeled companies in the rules. Earlier on we were joking that the Brits might have brought armored cars or the Marne taxis or something, but it's a serious possibility now.

E: These dudes, probably. If I had to guess, they're MG's on crack.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 8, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh wait I'm a dummy who forgets what my own divisions are. You're definitely infantry, I worded it weird. Fixed now, any switches should be okay'd by both Saros and Flesnolk
yes i know that, i was responding to the people who said we had a billion cav applicants and two infantry

sorry for the misunderstanding

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazycryodude posted:

In other news, lots of credit to mossyfisk in the Roll20 for catching that Trin mentioned wheeled companies in the rules. Earlier on we were joking that the Brits might have brought armored cars or the Marne taxis or something, but it's a serious possibility now.

E: These dudes, probably. If I had to guess, they're MG's on crack.

those whitewall tires are swag as hell

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

koolkevz666 posted:

I think it is a little unfair to force us to move through an unknown enemy defensive fortification with no choice in the matter.

WWI.txt

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

LLSix posted:

Couple of requests for staff officers who want to help number crunch or theory craft

• Brigade level formation and layout of individual company chits makes a huge difference in combat effectiveness. If someone wants to analyze the previous game and see what formations worked / theorycraft some that should that would be a huge help
  • Some guesswork as to likely/possible/worst case British positions would be pretty sweet. Plus major internet credit awaits whoever can guess right.
  • Movement is a little complicated, if someone could number crunch when movement formation is a net gain, that'd be great
  • movement for the initial 2 brigades needs to be as effective and efficient as possible. Any numbers on how many turns it would take to get from our deployment zone to the sunken road or any notable point West of it would be really helpful for planning.

Lot happening rn, but I think I can do the march movement one for you.
  • Marches only happen if you request them ,and only on roads. If you move off the road, you go into a combat formation.
  • March move bonus is an extra 50% movement and it takes one turn to get into or out of formation.
  • You can start in march formation when your brigade arrives on the map, saving a turn forming up.

Infantry move 8" in combat formation. In march they move 12". If we compare the distances moved each turn, including turns spent getting into and out of formation:
code:
Turn                   : 1  2   3   4   5   6   7
Combat formation       : 8  16  24  32  40  52  60 
March (from 1st turn)  : 12 24  36  36             (last turn shaking out into combat formation)
March (into and out of): 0  12  24  36  48  60  60 (1st turn forming up, last shaking out)
TL:DR is if you are on the board and have a long distance to go, it's not worth it unless it's more than 60" away and will take 7 turns. If you're entering the board in march and don't have to waste time forming up, then it's worthwhile for anything longer than 36"/4 turns away.

Cavalry on a road move at 16" (12" on open ground) and a cavbde in march formation can move 24"*. so again:
code:
Turn                   : 1  2   3   4   5   6   
Combat formation       : 16 32  48  64  80  96  
March (from 1st turn)  : 24 48  48             (last turn shaking out into combat formation)
March (into and out of): 0  24  48  72  96  96  (1st turn forming up, last shaking out)
So cav reinforcements are probably worth marching to the front lines, if you're on the board already you shouldn't bother unless you're moving for more than 6 turns.

Artillery and other units move the same speed as infantry.

IIRC, there's also something about infantry attacking with rifle fire advancing 4" per turn instead of 8", but I can't find the exact ruling on it at the moment. It's a combat only thing, I think

* Found this in the first rules post, we didn't have seperate cavbdes last game so we didn't use it.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 8, 2017

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Spectators may appreciate our 100% terror based premonitions of 'oh my god the BEF definitely has a brigade of MG armored cars entering the battlefield turn 1 from Chemin Creux'

And yet we are woefully unprepared for the Royal Navy floating a Battleship onto the field.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I prefer to think of it as reasonable caution, and planning for the worst case scenario.

Anyhow, that possibility, as well as the fact we really can't advance if the enemy takes Steth and CC and digs in, means we have to secure the town as quickly as possible. Luckily, we can start on a couple roads and move in marching order, that 24" a turn might just do the trick for beating the BEF there.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jaguars! posted:

IIRC, there's also something about infantry attacking with rifle fire advancing 4" per turn instead of 8", but I can't find the exact ruling on it at the moment. It's a combat only thing, I think

A company that wants to use rifle fire must use no more than half its movement on that turn. I will interpret this principle in your favour whenever possible so that rifle companies can defend themselves; however, if they've got initiative, they don't spot any enemies and march 8", and then another company spots you and only moves 4" and ends up being able to use rifle fire when you can't: welp, initiative is a harsh mistress.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

:siren:Attention Staff Officers:siren:

We're trying to get the staff officers that have signed up into a cohesive group so we can contribute. To that end, we've made some more clear groups of specialization that we think would be helpful.

Rules Lawyering Department
- Understands and analyzes the rules of the game. This includes rules on submitting orders and rules on objectives.
- Acts as a resource for commanders with questions about the rules.
- Reviews orders sent by commanders for compatibility with rules.

Measurements and Calculations Department
- Remembers and understands rules concerning distances and other mathematic calculations.
- Applies calculations to present military conditions, and future plans, upon request.

Communications Department
- Ensures commands are sent by their deadlines.
- Coordinates communication between commanders that need help and the appropriate members of staff.
- Limits salt.

Military Strategy Department
- Brainstorms worst case scenarios for enemy positions and strategies.
- Acts as Devil’s Advocate for commanders’ strategies.
- Reviews previous battle(s) and ensures application of learned principles to present situation.

Ideally we get like two guys in the first three departments and one in the fourth, and then if we get more staff officers we can add to these groups as we go along. I think having some folks dedicated to the first three areas will be particularly helpful resources for all the commanders, and it'll be fun to have actual responsibilities.

If you're interested in substantively helping out by joining a group, let me know or add your name to the third page of our Google spreadsheet.

e: just for the record, I'm the one worried about the Entente spawning in the East. I know goons are usually too cautious, but the reward for planning a more westward spawn is minimal and the risk is tremendous. If they manage to stop our initial advance at Chemin Cheux, we'll get bogged down forever due to the depressed road's defensive advantages. I shall be either a visionary or an idiot.

disjoe fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 8, 2017

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It's a bit late for this stage of the battle, but I have a proposal for the war in general.

If officers were assigned to a Division based on their timezone/work hours, then the Divisional Commander would be able to summon his/her Brigadiers for a scheduled meeting.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

now that i've gained the awesome power of both rotating AND moving objects that i've created in roll20 (the chatlog has an extensive series of my observations during this personal journey) id like to volunteer for measurements and calculations department

i'm hoping to wait for trin's final authoritative collation of the rules before going through and figuring out exactly what can move/see/shoot/whatever how far. jaguars!' post was very helpful though

by way of further staff work, or maybe it's just figuring this poo poo out for myself, is this how the updates work out?

Trin Tragula posted:

TIME OF DAY

Daytime updates will be 8 turns in duration. Nighttime updates will be 16 turns. Each turn represents, as before, half an hour of real time.

The battle begins with Turn 1 at 8am, full daylight. Twilight is at 7pm, nightfall at 8pm, pre-dawn at 7am.

Where possible, please refer to turn numbers, not time of day.

day updates are 4 hours long, night updates are 8 hours long. we'll refer to turns by numbers in our orders of course, but for a moment let's consider them by time:

first three updates: d (0800-1130), d (1200-1530), d* (1600-1930)

(d = 8 turns of day, d* = 6 turns of day, 2 of twilight)

repeating for the rest of the scenario: n (2000-0330), n! (0400-1130), d (1200-1530), d* (1600-1930)

(n = 16 turns of night, n! = 6 turns of night, 2 of pre-dawn, 8 day)

might be a good idea as we get into the rhythm of this scenario that we keep in mind where we are in relation to that 4 am update every day, where we watch the whole morning go by without being able to correct whatever horrors we've unleashed upon our men edit and women, like that lady in the serbian army and all the other ones who had to pull a mulan

am i messing any of that up?

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 8, 2017

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I slapped together a map showing the firing range of theoretical MG companies situated on the edge of Stethoscope.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

oystertoadfish posted:

now that i've gained the awesome power of both rotating AND moving objects that i've created in roll20 (the chatlog has an extensive series of my observations during this personal journey) id like to volunteer for measurements and calculations department

i'm hoping to wait for trin's final authoritative collation of the rules before going through and figuring out exactly what can move/see/shoot/whatever how far. jaguars!' post was very helpful though

by way of further staff work, or maybe it's just figuring this poo poo out for myself, is this how the updates work out?

day updates are 4 hours long, night updates are 8 hours long. we'll refer to turns by numbers in our orders of course, but for a moment let's consider them by time:

first three updates: d (0800-1130), d (1200-1530), d* (1600-1930)

(d = 8 turns of day, d* = 6 turns of day, 2 of twilight)

repeating for the rest of the scenario: n (2000-0330), n! (0400-1130), d (1200-1530), d* (1600-1930)

(n = 16 turns of night, n! = 6 turns of night, 2 of pre-dawn, 8 day)

might be a good idea as we get into the rhythm of this scenario that we keep in mind where we are in relation to that 4 am update every day, where we watch the whole morning go by without being able to correct whatever horrors we've unleashed upon our men edit and women, like that lady in the serbian army and all the other ones who had to pull a mulan

am i messing any of that up?

I literally have zero idea what any of this means. It is impenetrable.

So, good work!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

E: nvm

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
HEY, STAFF, need some numbers crunched.

So here is our starting position, red marks indicate where I'd personally like our cav to start:

That's because those are the roads, and those will let us move at 24" per turn. For the record's sake, and to confirm or refute my own guesses/the discussion between Cryo and I in roll20, I want you guys to crunch how long it will take us to get to Steth from the northern and southern road. So these routes here:

My guess is that in four turns, moving at 24" per turn, the southern brigade would be inside Steth, while the northerners would be right outside it. Run the numbers and see if this is correct? I'd also like you to do some crunching and find out how long it would take if our southern brigade took this route, instead:

Here, I'm marking down the major roads on the enemy's side of the map. Be it infantry, cavalry, Mark V landships, whatever, see if you can figure out how long it would take forces starting from these points to get to Steth and CC:

It's not unreasonable to assume they'll want to stop us either at Steth and CC, or the middle stream, so any hypotheses on their most likely deployment zones are welcome, too. I'd also like to see guesses at line of sight to and from our objectives, and where we're most likely to come under enemy fire.

I could keep going ad nauseam, but let's not. Cryo said he has some stuff he wants you to number-crunch in the morning, so I'll leave picking up from here to him.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

im on it

tomorrow

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
One more turn-counter for the night:

Edit: Also, the rules say our artillery, when it comes, has a range of 40" for indirect fire. Let's do some number-crunching and see what that actually looks like on the map.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 9, 2017

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Hello I am acknowledging my brigade command.

Also I will have a look at all of the pretty drawings after work.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Cavalry division:

Okay so what I need from the Bde/Staff officers is:

First two arriving Bde:

1) Can we reach Stethoscope before enemy cav/wheeled units assuming they start at our pessimistic estimates of deployment on the roads N/S of Saucisson Vallee?
2) Would we have to be in march order the whole time to reach it first or can we shake out into combat formation/start in formation?

My rough estimate is that staying in marching order the whole way south bde can be in Steth on turn 4 and the north in turn 5.

I've come around somewhat to the idea that we need to focus on stethoscope first to secure the sunken road and our lines of communication (telephones!) and i'm optimistic that we can secure it in our initial push. However I don't see any way to breach the small riverline before significant reinforcements arrive without risking total disaster unless we manage to destroy a substantial number of enemy units and can be confident every ford isn't being watched.

Reinforcement Bde's.
-Think about contingency orders for cases where we take Steth in the first impulse and cases where we do not.

Saros fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 8, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

On the subject of your order of battle.

Your cavalry division is the Bavarian Cavalry Division, with the 1st-4th Bavarian Cavalry Brigades. Your infantry division is the 40th (Saxon) Division, with the 86th, 87th, 88th, and 89th (Saxon) Brigades.

You may all be part of the German armed forces, but the Bavarian Army is not the same thing as the Saxon Army; neither of which which are same thing as the Wurttemburg Army, nor the Prussian Army. Have fun with that.

also, you may refer to the infantry brigades via the following Official Codewords for added security

86th: Green Brigade
87th: Grubby White Brigade
88th: Slightly Pinkish Brigade
89th: Somewhat Mauve Brigade

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 8, 2017

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
How high is Freme Inutille could units stationed on it see over those woods?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Ferme Inutille is a farm at ground level. All woods block LOS for all companies at all times. They are very tall trees.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

Ferme Inutille is a farm at ground level. All woods block LOS for all companies at all times. They are very tall trees.

:doh:

Miss read the map sorry about that.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I look forward to being the tip of the spear again. Hopefully with a better K:D ratio this time.

I'd say a major goal is to hit and cross the CdC before turn 10. If we can do that, they won't have had time to entrench there.

EDIT: What am I worried about, my Bavarians will cream any opposition.

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 8, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: THE OFFICERS' CLUB OBSERVER THREAD IS NOW OFF-LIMITS TO PLAYERS

Anyone who disobeys this order will face a strong dose of Field Punishment Number One.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Well, time to unbookmark that one.

Is there any repercussion to the different origins? I guess it's just for flavor?

Or do we have to roll to understand their thick Bavarian accents.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Bavarians require additional water rations for their Weißwurst.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Fathis Munk posted:

Or do we have to roll to understand their thick Bavarian accents.

I think the primary concern is cavalry keeping themselves from sniggering every time they hear Ronny from the Infantry speak.

Speaking of, is our cavalry arriving in such a staggered manner because we're recovering from Oktoberfest?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

aphid_licker posted:

Bavarians require additional water rations for their Weißwurst.

poo poo man, it's been so long since I had Weißwurst. I need to go back to the Vaterland one of these days.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I strongly encourage our Rönnys vön dr Innfanndrie to greet unexpected developments with a hearty "ei verbibbsch"

http://www.sachsenwelt.de/sachsen/mundart/woerterbuch-a.html

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 8, 2017

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

So for those of you in not in rolls or who missed it we have basically settled on four possible ways this entail day will play out.

Number one: they get to pre deploy as the defender. We honestly have no idea how to handle this if it happens and don't think we really could if it did so we are mostly playing around with this one as a nightmare scenario

Number two: They deploy mirror opposite of us. In this one it turns into a race to secure and hold the river crossing against them.

Number three and four as similar so I will cover them at the same time. They either deploy Northwest or Southwest. At worst they deploy all the way up to the north south road going through the valley at best just slightly past their river. In this situation we take Sethoscope and from there... well we are still talking about it honestly at the moment we are leaning towards pushing the southern crossing in force as Foret De E is going to make to northern approach a death trap. The problem is they probably know this as well as we do so we are still bouncing ideas back and forth.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

They def will not deploy mirror opposite. That would mean that we all take five while Trin runs the zillion turns it takes to even get both sides into contact. There will def be resistance from very early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

aphid_licker posted:

I strongly encourage our Rönnys vön dr Innfanndrie to greet unexpected developments with a hearty "ei verbibbsch"

http://www.sachsenwelt.de/sachsen/mundart/woerterbuch-a.html

I am so happy to have learned Hochdeutsch.

• Locked thread