Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Aw, now even greyhounds can fit in a pocket!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

bamhand posted:

Pearl is the female version of Doggles!

Also if you guys don't have a dog pita (pictured above) they are pretty awesome. The large size fits one greyhound or two whippets.

omg Doggles! Look at those smiles! And that handsome snood! What a dork.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, when I saw my mum today, I noticed that she had bought li'l Taz a toy pig, as pictured below. (However uh, the name of the toy isn't actually "pig toy" or anything quite so bland or generic as that...it's a "screaming pig" toy. A SCREAMING PIG toy. Capitalized on the label and everything! You can probably imagine what kind of sounds it emits! :D) I personally just hope he doesn't start playing with it at night, otherwise my dreams might mysteriously feature the sounds of dying piglets, at random intervals. (Hopefully he also doesn't encounter any piglets in the future whilst unattended, either...I don't see anything good coming of that! :D)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Let me know if the thing lasts more than a couple weeks. I can't find a squeeker that lasts.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

bamhand posted:

Let me know if the thing lasts more than a couple weeks. I can't find a squeeker that lasts.

Well, I've just found that he's bitten an ear off and has damaged the snout a bit...I suspect that (due to the amount he seems to love playing with the damned thing and hearing it shriek) it won't last another 48hrs :v:

If you're looking for an indestructible squeaky toy though, I recommend getting something like this 'heavy-duty squeaky stick toy'*. Taz doesn't seem to like it quite as much as his old formerly-squeaky echidna, but it's lasted about as long as four of the echidnas have, and it's still going strong! :v: I think the reason why he doesn't like it quite as much is because of the shape; he prefers rounder objects like tennis balls (and the echidnas) that he can throw around and catch more easily. (That might just be him, though - not sure if other dogs are the same)

* Note: That one isn't the exact same sort as what I've got, but it's close enough. When I was looking for a good pic online, I noticed that a lot had the squeaker at one end, without rubber coating/protecting them, however. Don't get those; the really indestructible ones (like what I have) are completely coated with rubber, with a tiny hole at one end that leads to a squeaker safely located in the centre of the stick.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh also, does anyone know of a good chewy treat that'll last for a little while, that I can get for Taz? I know those rawhide bones can be good for that (and Tazo does seem to like 'em), however you can only really buy them individually here, and I'm more interested in something I can get in bulk and at a reasonable price (since I know I could just get a big bag and buy fifty rawhide bones, but that won't be good for either my wallet or my cupboard-space :v:).
I've seen bags of rawhide strips (like this, but actual strips, and not...tubes, I guess) but I don't think any of my dog-owning friends have used them, so I've got no idea if they're just quick-to-eat treats, or if the doggo will actually sit down and keep busy chewing on it for a little while.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

cyphr555 posted:

omg what a beauty. I actually don't see many fawn greyhounds around here, they're all brindle. And such a handsome collar!
Thanks! My spouse picked it out, but it is indeed very handsome :kimchi:

We originally wanted a brindle, but Spartacus is the one we got. He's from a track in Alabama, so maybe check there? Also they apparently have super hookworms there, we just got a literal gallon bag of Panacur to try to kill the fuckers, in addition to the heartworm meds he's on :argh:

Did someone say awkward poses?

Yep, still broken...

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Today I had a home visit/interview with a local adoption agency for retired racers. They brought a ~big ol dog~ and he was very friendly and cuddly. We live on the top floor of a duplex and he cried the whole way up the stairs though :(

Should be about a month before they start calling about available doggos :3

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think every grey struggles with those open stairs. They figure it out and do OK most of the time.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

a slime posted:

Today I had a home visit/interview with a local adoption agency for retired racers. They brought a ~big ol dog~ and he was very friendly and cuddly. We live on the top floor of a duplex and he cried the whole way up the stairs though :(

Should be about a month before they start calling about available doggos :3

Xguard86 posted:

I think every grey struggles with those open stairs. They figure it out and do OK most of the time.

My older dog never got comfortable with my single half-flight of stairs and eventually just couldn't do it any more. My younger dog (12 years old) is struggling a bit with them now, too. They are/were both big dogs (over 70 lbs) with hip problems, and I'm sure that doesn't help, but just know that even if you get a dog used to it when it's young, stairs can cause problems again later. I'm very glad that my first floor is big enough for the dog(s) to have some room to move around without feeling cramped.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Peristalsis posted:

My older dog never got comfortable with my single half-flight of stairs and eventually just couldn't do it any more. My younger dog (12 years old) is struggling a bit with them now, too. They are/were both big dogs (over 70 lbs) with hip problems, and I'm sure that doesn't help, but just know that even if you get a dog used to it when it's young, stairs can cause problems again later. I'm very glad that my first floor is big enough for the dog(s) to have some room to move around without feeling cramped.

That's a bummer :( Sparty is a big ol' dog at 77 lbs and I already worry that his hips are weird, even at 3 years old. He takes stairs like a champ though, doesn't even usually skip steps unless he's really excited. :3:

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

DarkHorse posted:

That's a bummer :( Sparty is a big ol' dog at 77 lbs and I already worry that his hips are weird, even at 3 years old. He takes stairs like a champ though, doesn't even usually skip steps unless he's really excited. :3:

To be fair, our guys have always seemed to be pretty happy to sleep away most of the day, and I assume greyhounds don't need as much room in the house as other breeds, so even a normal first floor might be fine for them if they can't get upstairs. But I worry about someone saying they live in an upstairs apartment, where there are stairs involved every time they go in or out.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Sexual attraction in this context is not a part of my programming
My doggo had to be put down last week, came home and she was behaving strangely. Think she had a tumour in her brain that suddenly kicked in, bad times.

Picture of the cute dog called Coco

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm so sorry about your doggo, Coco looks like such a sweetheart :(

I love her distinguished muzzle

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Picked a doggle out this evening :3:

Her name is Abby and she is three and a half and she is very sweet!! She is a little gray in the face which I think is very cute.

Abby came straight from the track and she was a very successful racer. She still needs to be vetted and fostered so we won't have her here for another month or so. Time to start preppin!

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Yay new skinny hound!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

a slime posted:

Picked a doggle out this evening :3:

Her name is Abby and she is three and a half and she is very sweet!! She is a little gray in the face which I think is very cute.

Abby came straight from the track and she was a very successful racer. She still needs to be vetted and fostered so we won't have her here for another month or so. Time to start preppin!

My greyhound is also named Abby. I also got her when she was three and a half!

Here's a picture from back then. She's nine now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Yesterday I went to a local shelter and met the most timid, scared, pathetic little creature I've ever seen. His name is Dobby, he's a 1 year old whippet x lurcher, and he was handed in to a vet as a stray before the shelter picked him up.

I love him and I'm going to go back and get him this week.

Probably going to change the name though.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

St Evan Echoes posted:

Yesterday I went to a local shelter and met the most timid, scared, pathetic little creature I've ever seen. His name is Dobby, he's a 1 year old whippet x lurcher, and he was handed in to a vet as a stray before the shelter picked him up.

I love him and I'm going to go back and get him this week.

Probably going to change the name though.

Aww, so cute! Hopefully you can build up his confidence. :3:

In other news my big dumb baby continues to cause problems, this time his crappy baby skin on his paw got cut somehow and he trailed blood all over the house. He is Not Happy that he has to be bandaged until his paw heals, but thankfully he seems to be leaving it alone so far.

Abby looks a lot like my Spartacus, and they're both a similar age in those photos. Hooray hounds! :kimchi:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Because I can't stop sharing pictures of my dumb dogs

WTF M8

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

You captured the exact moment your other dog realised greys are dumb as rocks :3:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I still contend it's not dumb, just... strange. Sometimes very strange.

My wife has started referring to them as the "bird rat things". Mostly because when one gets frustrated she makes this high pitched bird chirp noise that is hilarious.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

So we got the little dude

What is it with long dogs and weird sleeping positions?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I made an album of "speed alley" from a greyhound event last year.

https://goo.gl/photos/7tT1oq53USEp6hYm9

The best part is definitely the dogs that stop halfway to relieve themselves on the "track"

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

St Evan Echoes posted:

So we got the little dude

What is it with long dogs and weird sleeping positions?

Hooray hounds! :neckbeard:

Newest Sparty news: after several weeks of him not being a horrible shitlord, we let our guard down. My spouse left some boxes of girlscout cookies on the table; 45 minutes later, 3.5 of the boxes were destroyed on the rug, mostly Thin Mints.

The next day we traveled to Cleveland to meet friends and took the dogs. We made sure to give him every opportunity to poop multiple times, then left him for an hour so we could go to breweries. Came back to a Thin Mint poo poo-covered hound :(

The stuff was like black tar, it was awful, but mostly we felt bad for poor Spartacus who looked like he felt awful. Thankfully we were able to get the mess up off their white carpet with liberal use of Natures Miracle, and they had an old incontinent dog of their own so they weren't phased by it. Sparty was very good while we cleaned him off too, and was good for the rest of the trip.

Hooray hounds! :suicide:

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Abby is here!

She seems a little overwhelmed, but likes her squeaky pizza toy and her bed. She follows us all around the house, it's very cute. Hopefully she will get used to all the city noises!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Very cute. Good luck from one Abby owner to another

I still have my Abby's first toy. Over time I've bought way too many. She ignores them all now.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

We already got her another squeaky toy. It begins :3:

She just woke up from a nap and was being very silly and playful. She was jumping on the couch, throwing her new toy up in the air and havinga great time, but then she slipped off the couch and onto our hardwood floor. Took her a few minutes to calm down, seems like it really scared her :( poor guy!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Something for your dogs, apparently animal compression suits are a thing, even for greyhounds.

http://www.hidez.com.au/?route=product/category&path=70_64

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

a slime posted:

We already got her another squeaky toy. It begins :3:

She just woke up from a nap and was being very silly and playful. She was jumping on the couch, throwing her new toy up in the air and havinga great time, but then she slipped off the couch and onto our hardwood floor. Took her a few minutes to calm down, seems like it really scared her :( poor guy!

Hardwood floors can be a bit dangerous for fast dogs.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

actionjackson posted:

Hardwood floors can be a bit dangerous for fast dogs.

On the plus side, it only took one side-on collision with a wall before mine learnt the importance of slowing down for corners, while running on hardwood floors! :v:
(Wasn't a hard bump or anything, thankfully; just enough to startle him and make him realize how little traction his paws have, on that surface)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 27, 2017

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Major Isoor posted:

On the plus side, it only took one side-on collision with a wall before mine learnt the importance of slowing down for corners, while running on hardwood floors! :v:
(Wasn't a hard bump or anything, thankfully; just enough to startle him and make him realize how little traction his paws have, on that surface)

Sparty has been feeling a lot better lately, so he's been play-fighting with Cookie. When he gets a wild hair he'll try to tear-rear end around the house, and it's funny watching him try to turn on the brakes. He hadn't hurt himself at all, though he got scared once when he jumped up and his back leg lost traction. Good thing though, he shouldn't be jumping anyway :colbert:

Abby is adorable by the way!

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I enjoy reading this thread because my ex had a greyhound, and after we broke up I realized I missed that dog more than I missed her most of the time. :unsmith:

One thing that this dog did was, when he was super excited (playing with his favorite toy or anticipating a treat), his teeth would chatter like he was cold out of pure excitement. Is this a common thing, do any of your hounds do this? It was adorable.

Also if I could request lots more Yayhound pictures, that would be awesome. :kimchi:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

Sparty has been feeling a lot better lately, so he's been play-fighting with Cookie. When he gets a wild hair he'll try to tear-rear end around the house, and it's funny watching him try to turn on the brakes. He hadn't hurt himself at all, though he got scared once when he jumped up and his back leg lost traction. Good thing though, he shouldn't be jumping anyway :colbert:

Abby is adorable by the way!

That's good to hear - so how long has he been without those worms (I think it was)? Hopefully he's ditched them for good! Since I recall that you mentioned it was a bit of a reoccurring issue for him, initially.

Also, is it just Tazo, or do greyhounds just love grass? Whenever he gets the chance (which admittedly isn't all THAT frequently, as he is mostly on paved or carpeted floor) he just flings himself onto the ground, rubbing/scratching his neck all over the grass, rolling around and even scooting along the grass on his hindlegs :v: (with his neck and chest sliding along the grass)
Although, perhaps unfortunately he sometimes makes do with the carpet, when he doesn't have easy access to grass! :D

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Uncle Ulty - our greyhound chatters his teeth when he is excited too. We call it chitter teefs. He especially does it when he anticipates something awesome like a treat or a car ride. Greyhounds are awesome but sometimes weird and always amusing. Last Friday night, Tortolia and I went upstairs to bed and Reese who usually follows us up or even beats us up ( he sometimes puts himself to bed if we don't go up early enough for him) but on Friday he didn't come up. I was calling him for a good 5 minutes or so and nothing so I thought maybe he had to go to the bathroom or something so Tortolia goes to the middle level and Reese was stuck in his bed because the cat's ostrich feather (which is obviously terrifying!?!?!) was in his way between his bed on the middle level and the stairs. Tortolia valiantly vanquished the threat i.e. moved it out of the way and Reese comes running up. We laughed at him. A lot. Goofy dork hound. Also here have another example of the cats being the real bosses in this household.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

:kimchi:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Aww, that's got Taz written all over it! Except he'll normally end up on his side next to the bed, instead of being on it at all :D

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Major Isoor posted:

That's good to hear - so how long has he been without those worms (I think it was)? Hopefully he's ditched them for good! Since I recall that you mentioned it was a bit of a reoccurring issue for him, initially.

Also, is it just Tazo, or do greyhounds just love grass? Whenever he gets the chance (which admittedly isn't all THAT frequently, as he is mostly on paved or carpeted floor) he just flings himself onto the ground, rubbing/scratching his neck all over the grass, rolling around and even scooting along the grass on his hindlegs :v: (with his neck and chest sliding along the grass)
Although, perhaps unfortunately he sometimes makes do with the carpet, when he doesn't have easy access to grass! :D

Yeah, hookworms, which have come back every two weeks after treatment like clockwork. We've been doing a two-month cycle now where we do Panacure for a week, again two weeks later (when next generation hatches) and then again the next two weeks, plus heartworm meds every month concurrent with that week of dewormer. Also picking up any and all poop.

No idea yet if we've licked it, but we'll see soon in a few weeks when we do the worm survey of his poop again. He also had a peeing problem - prescription diet fixed that, and then we switched him to a limited ingredient food that was cheaper but still kept him from peeling every five hours.

His teeth chatter too, though rarely. He does a little tiny nibble of our arms though when he's really excited and wants to play, and that's adorable

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 28, 2017

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Can confirm this is accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Abby likes to lord over her treasures like a tiny dragon