Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Darkrenown posted:

MnM seems to be well received, that and RD aren't the worst legacy I suppose :unsmith:

Is becoming the Dark Lord of the Aztecs a new thing with this? Because it's gods-damned hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
It is, yes.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

How do you join secret religious cults? It's easy enough to worship the devil, but not, apparently, the neighbouring Christians and Muslims.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Darkrenown posted:

MnM seems to be well received, that and RD aren't the worst legacy I suppose :unsmith:

Both of these recent two have been my absolute favourites, they just do so much more to inject fun. Was this the last one planned for CK2?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Anticheese posted:

How do you join secret religious cults? It's easy enough to worship the devil, but not, apparently, the neighbouring Christians and Muslims.

Secret religious cults don't start automatically established like Devil Worshippers. You need to be Secret <Religion>, 250 prestige (for the Decision), and have a Religion that can start a Cult.

From the game files. the following Religions can have secret religious cults:

- Catholic
- Orthodox
- Sunni
- Shiite
- Jewish
- Zoroastrian
- Hindu
- Buddhist
- Jain
- Reformed Germanic
- Reformed Romuva
- Reformed Slavic
- Reformed Suomenusko
- Reformed Zun
- Reformed West African

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 8, 2017

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

winterwerefox posted:

How do weaponsmithing and artifacts work? I had someone make me a mace, but other than that, no idea what triggers it.

I had the weaponsmith event but I've also looted a mysterious chest and then the key for it while raiding and looting Irish churches. Sadly the chest turned out to contain crumbling scrolls that turned to dust when I touched them with no melting nazis around to make it more entertaining. :(

Darkrenown posted:

They are both excellent and I think the cults/treasury stuff is going to be amazing for the big overhaul mods like Geheimnisnacht and AtE.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Aleth posted:

I had the weaponsmith event but I've also looted a mysterious chest and then the key for it while raiding and looting Irish churches. Sadly the chest turned out to contain crumbling scrolls that turned to dust when I touched them with no melting nazis around to make it more entertaining. :(

They are both excellent and I think the cults/treasury stuff is going to be amazing for the big overhaul mods like Geheimnisnacht and AtE.

The chest and key event was in before the expansion too. Unless they changed it with the Monks and Mystics expansion there aren't many interesting outcomes to it. Nothing, a tiny amount of gold, a higher amount of gold (200'ish?), or instant death.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 8, 2017

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Secret religious cults don't start automatically established like Devil Worshippers. You need to be Secret <Religion>, 250 prestige (for the Decision), and have a Religion that can start a Cult.

- Catholic
- Orthodox
- Sunni
- Shiite
- Jewish
- Zoroastrian
- Hindu
- Buddhist
- Jain
- Reformed Germanic
- Reformed Romuva
- Reformed Slavic
- Reformed Suomenusko
- Reformed Zun
- Reformed West African

Okay! How do I get secret faith then? :shobon)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
You need to falsely convert from one faith to another (for starters, there's a Decision for it if you're of a different Religion than your liege).

The problem is that this is an uncommon scenario, especially involving those faiths I posted. If you wanna test it out, I think in 1066 the ruler of Mecca is Sunni and their liege is the Shiite Caliph. A secret cult might convert rulers into their secret faith, but I haven't tested it out so take that with a grain of salt.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

AG3 posted:

The chest and key event was in before the expansion too. Unless they changed with the Monks and Mystics expansion it there aren't many interesting outcomes to it. Nothing, a tiny amount of gold, a higher amount of gold (200'ish?), or instant death.

Ah, well the chest was added to my treasury tab like my mace from the weaponsmith, so I guess you can loot other stuff the same way?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Captain Mediocre posted:

Both of these recent two have been my absolute favourites, they just do so much more to inject fun. Was this the last one planned for CK2?

Just the last one I was on.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Captain Mediocre posted:

there was a dev diary a while ago that said there would be at least 2 DLC's after Reaper's due, the first one one small and similar to way of life (assuming it refers to monks and mystics) and the second one big. Something teased about rulers you can't yet play and areas not yet covered. Also mention of a possible 15th small DLC.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
God I can't wait for work to end so I can get back to my game. This is why I hate Tuesday releases, Fridays are so much better.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Schizotek posted:

Oh hey look who's back after sacrificing their mother-wife and invading Ireland. Given the way my guy looks to be producing only daughters I stand to become the secretly Zoroastrian ruler of the Aztec Empire in Ireland in my first Ironman game since the expac dropped. Bonus points for setting the sunset invasion to only happen after 1000 AD and having all this happen anyway.

This is the greatest goddamn event chain yet, and I need to figure out how to trigger it so I can sow chaos everywhere.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I can't believe it will be over soon for CK2 :ohdear:

I hope CK3 is just as good!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I lost a game of chess against death and now I'm an eight year old. I know regency takes away most of my decision making but is there anything I can get up to before I come of age and start fixing the horrible borders my vassals are getting up to?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

You did good

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

- Catholic
- Orthodox
- Sunni
- Shiite
- Jewish
- Zoroastrian
- Hindu
- Buddhist
- Jain
- Reformed Germanic
- Reformed Romuva
- Reformed Slavic
- Reformed Suomenusko
- Reformed Zun
- Reformed West African
Wait, so you can't be a secret normal pagan, something that was a real thing for ages in the north?

Heh.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Torrannor posted:

I can't believe it will be over soon for CK2 :ohdear:

I hope CK3 is just as good!

We are still way overdue for EU Rome 2 and Victoria 3 but yeah.

Pierson posted:

I lost a game of chess against death and now I'm an eight year old. I know regency takes away most of my decision making but is there anything I can get up to before I come of age and start fixing the horrible borders my vassals are getting up to?

Has anyone ever won the chess game? Every time death has shown up I've died to him, including the new "slam the door in his face" option. Really gets old.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
How player-facing is all this stuff, out of curiosity? Is europe going to be full of people possessing their councils and zapping their wives with lightning or is it rare/impossible for NPCs to do those kinds of things strategically?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

spectralent posted:

How player-facing is all this stuff, out of curiosity? Is europe going to be full of people possessing their councils and zapping their wives with lightning or is it rare/impossible for NPCs to do those kinds of things strategically?

As far as I could see there was a setting for letting AIs getting some of the supernatural events like the immortality chain, which was defaulted to off. No idea how much of the "new" supernatural content it covers though.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Anyone else having a hard time with the new allied army control mechanics? As a tribal norse king I was having a hell of a time corraling my dudes together because even with the *attach to me you fuckers* button clicked for all their armies they jitter around in their provinces.

And then they go and lose me a war because they refuse to reinforce me or follow me into battle. :wtc:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 8, 2017

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Wait, so you can't be a secret normal pagan, something that was a real thing for ages in the north?

You can be a secret pagan of any type, but only the reformed ones can form a society.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Sheep posted:

We are still way overdue for EU Rome 2 and Victoria 3 but yeah.

Has anyone ever won the chess game? Every time death has shown up I've died to him, including the new "slam the door in his face" option. Really gets old.

I've won it. You get a permanent boost to health.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

So let me get this straight, it's now possible for someone to leave your court, discover the New World 600 years ahead of schedule, become emperor of the Aztecs, and then return to Europe with 400,000 men and a thirst for vengeance (and hearts)?

Holy loving poo poo. :stare: :black101:

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Where is the Request to Rank Up decision? I have the little alert saying I can do this, and clicking on it takes me to the Decisions list under Intrigue, but there is no such decision there.

E: Ignore me, I found it. Think the alert should take you to the Societies tab though.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

binge crotching posted:

This is the greatest goddamn event chain yet, and I need to figure out how to trigger it so I can sow chaos everywhere.

It only happens as an extension of the demon child event chain.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

So why is it not letting me join the Hermetics? Everything appears to be fine.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ah, apparently it's a bug where Patricians can't join it, for some reason.

gently caress

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
I had the Aztecs invade early into a Viking start.

Whats even better is the aztec leader got assassinated by a dull satanist from Cornwall to become the leader of the Aztecs.

How can I raid the English if there are 150000 event spawned Catholic Warriors to smash my poo poo in?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
I think the troops eventually despawn? If not just wait for them to use up all of their event troops.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

spectralent posted:

I only played for a few hours last night, and in India, so I don't know how representative it is, but I didn't join the Kali Puresha cult, the Hindu version of Satanism, until my third character, and I didn't see any of it until I did. The grandmaster was some random nobody thakur halfway across India and the only other cultists I met were the two ladies that I'm pretty sure were generated for the induction events.

Although as I was writing this post I just realized that I think someone tried to recruit an earlier character into the cult but it was subtle enough that I didn't put it together until just now. My earlier characters were all in the normal Hindu monastic order, and one of them had another monk (at least I thought it was a monk; can you join both the good and evil orders?) start asking questions about the order's teachings that were outside of orthodoxy. I assumed it was just a normal monk "crisis of faith" event and told him not to ask such questions and things went on like normal. I just realized now that that's exactly the same event I got to join the cult later, it was just some random woman and when I told her I agreed with her she pulled up her sleeve to show the mark of Kali Puresha.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
What are Hermetic Ingredients used for? I've got a bunch in my inventory but can't figure out what they actually do

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Kaza42 posted:

What are Hermetic Ingredients used for? I've got a bunch in my inventory but can't figure out what they actually do

You can make potions with them

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

binge crotching posted:

You can make potions with them

How? When I make the Cure Depression potion it doesn't require ingredients, and I can't see any other potion button

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Thinking about (finally) picking this up in the sale, based on goon recommendations and whatnot. How highly would y'all rate the various DLCs, and would you say the Crusader Kings II Collection (which seems to include just about everything but the two most-recent DLCs) is worth picking up immediately?

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Ghost of Starman posted:

Thinking about (finally) picking this up in the sale, based on goon recommendations and whatnot. How highly would y'all rate the various DLCs, and would you say the Crusader Kings II Collection (which seems to include just about everything but the two most-recent DLCs) is worth picking up immediately?

I'd just buy the collection because it's all good stuff, although many of the things in there are cosmetic which if you aren't interested in then can probably save by ignoring them.

If you're gonna pick and choose the stuff in it, then in my view:
Must haves
Old Gods, Conclave, Way of Life, Sons of Abraham, Legacy of Rome, Ruler Designer, and portrait packs if you're a dumb idiot like me

Only if you're interested in their subject matter
Sword of Islam, The Republic, Charlemagne

Can probably live without
Horse Lords, Sunset Invasion, Rajas of India, unit and music packs

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Another cool thing about Satanists: when you're the high priest, other members will agree to just about any diplomatic action. Want to matrilineally marry your daughter to the devil-worshipping King of France's son and heir? He'll just let you do it, no problem.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Ghost of Starman posted:

Personally I don't buy portrait or unit packs, but all the core content DLCs are awesome. The only one I haven't bought is Sunset Invasion just because it just hasn't really grabbed my attention, and imo doesn't add a ton to the game beyond a challenge in the west (but man oh man the events from SI and M&M together are pretty godamn awesome, I'll admit).

The usual recommendation is to just get the base game and see if you like it. Then worry about various DLCs. The big content DLCs all add various things. To summarize:

Sword of Islam is self-explanatory. Allows you to play Muslims and added the various mechanics for that
Legacy of Rome added a bunch of events and decisions for the Byzantines, such as being able to blind or castrate people as a Greek. IMO the more important addition here though is retinues.
The Republic allows you to play merchant republics which are focused on dat ca-a-ash. You'll spend a lot of time here murdering political rivals...a LOT.
The Old Gods makes pagans and Zoroastrians playable and associated mechanics like reforming pagan faiths into an organized religion. It also added raiding. Extremely fun, hang fools for the Allfather all day erry day. Also allows 876 start date.
Sons of Abraham, obviously, adds a lot of flavor to the Abrahamic religions like holy orders, events, the college of cardinals, crusade requesting. It also allows you to play Jews, which can be easy or hard depending on if you have Horse Lords.
Rajas of India adds...well..India. Also Buddhism, Hinduism, and Jainism as well as their associated dharmic religious mechanics.
Charlemagne allows 769 game starts, adds a bunch of events for the titular emperor himself, adds viceroyalties, and allows founding custom kingdoms and empires via decision.
Way of Life allows you to choose from a range of character focuses that give you some pretty awesome options for controlling your character's growth. A lot of people consider this a must-have.
Horse Lords allows nomads to be playable and added the Silk Road trade routes. Nomads are pretty drat awesome imo, not to mention 876 Khazaria is a jewish start that packs more punch than Semien. Also raiding adventurers, dynamic mercs, tributaries, and a map expansion.
Conclave made dealing with internal politics/vassals a lot more interesting. Your council can now have teeth. It also added the favor system and reworked education and how laws work.
Reaper's Due is just plain pure fun. Overhauled sickness and disease, added epidemics including the Black Death, added court physicians capable of curing ANYTHING by chopping off your dick and balls, also hospitals and a prosperity system for counties.
Monks & Mystics...gently caress yeah duuuude worship Satan and abduct and kill children to extend your vile existence a little, or be a gigantic supernerd with the hermetics or literally run a cabal of secret Jews. Seriously just read the last few pages.

But basically I'd say get the base game and see if you enjoy it. If so, pick what you like from the above. IMO all of the above are cool and worth it.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 8, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The Collection should include

Sword of Islam - Play as Muslims.

The Republic - Play as Merchant Republics.

Legacy of Rome - Adds in some content for Byzantine Empire, most importantly gouging out eyes. Also includes the Retinue mechanic for (small) standing armies.

The Old Gods - Play as VIKIIIIIIINGS. Also less interesting pagans. This also adds a new start date in 867.

Rajas of India - Play in India. Nobody cares about India.

Sons of Abraham - Adds more content for Christians and Islams. You can also play as Jews and get Jewish courtiers. Kind of meh, honestly.

Sunset Invasion - Get invaded by Aztecs. A joke-y fantasy DLC.

Plus a ton of the associated graphics and music DLC.

If you ask me, I'd probably get at least Way of Life and Conclave with the Collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Portrait packs are good because they add variety.

But i only buy them on sale or as part of a package.

• Locked thread