Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

shyduck posted:

My money's on Dover losing a date

I hope it is not Dover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

I hope it is not Dover
I hope not either as it's basically my "hometown" track. It'll be Pocono or Dover. NASCAR has a raging boner for Vegas, so I can see one of their 4 combined races easily going bye-bye. I think Charlotte is safe because it's loving Charlotte.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

It needs to be Kansas IMO.

How that venue got two loving dates is beyond me.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the vast majority of tracks nascar races at do not need two dates and they really really ought to roll the schedule back to 30 races

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

They should take Indy's date.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

shyduck posted:

They should take Indy's date.

But it'd be pretty difficult for everyone to make it to Charlotte later that night! :v:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I guess the deal with the five-year agreement in place with tracks is that if they want to move dates, they have to take it from one of their own properties.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Bruton decided to drop a few million dollars on Dover or Pocono just to sacrifice one of its dates, though.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
They should dump the New Hampshire Fall race. It's too cold here anyways, and the track is terrible.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I really hope it is Kansas over other places. New Hampshire might not be the most exciting but it at least has a little bit of a short track feel and has the potential to be interesting. At least if they swap Kansas with a second Vegas it is basically no change it all.

I'll say that I was against the segment racing, either have heats and a main or don't. BUT, I have enjoyed the green flag racing. I'm ok with the segments for now only because they have basically been the only cautions. I know it is only 2 races (and they still managed to cram in a debris caution yesterday but I'm holding out hope it was actually legit) but if they keep it up and they actually race green for the majority of the race then I guess it might be a good thing. Where the segment poo poo might get old is a place like Martinsville if they have a few yellows per segment and then the obnoxiously long segment yellows on top of them.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Possible explanation for RCR's power woes Sunday: they're running without alternators

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/03/06/ryan-why-hasnt-goodyear-signed-an-extension-and-more-musings-from-atlanta/

quote:

Good nugget from NBCSN analyst/NBC Sports.com columnist/occasional ace driver Parker Kligerman on NBCSN’s Monday Morning Donuts podcast about why two Richard Childress Racing cars had battery problems.

Kligerman noted that teams are employing batteries so powerful, there might not be a need for an alternator, which can add a few horsepower. Kligerman said many drivers toggle their alternator off for qualifying laps or on restarts for extra oomph. There could be some kinks to work out if teams are trying to employ that strategy for a 500-mile race.
It's definitely plausible. It could also explain the weirdness going on with Newman's car when they showed it in the garage.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 7, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/838771339435651072

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Hey F1 fans loved the quieter engines, right?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Big blocks went to mufflers years ago and no one gave a poo poo

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

shyduck posted:

Possible explanation for RCR's power woes Sunday: they're running without alternators

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/03/06/ryan-why-hasnt-goodyear-signed-an-extension-and-more-musings-from-atlanta/

It's definitely plausible. It could also explain the weirdness going on with Newman's car when they showed it in the garage.

It also makes it extra loving stupid they didn't run backup batteries. I mean I understand their reasoning, what good is the extra couple horsepower if we're just going to use it to carry the weight of an extra battery? But if you're trying it in a 500 mile race for the first time why not be a little on the safe side? There were points where both the #3 and #31 looked like they could contend for the win, provided Harvick did something stupid like speed on pit lane, and they shot themselves in the foot.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

It's not like you couldn't use that second battery in lieu of left side weight.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Yeah extra weight is moot when the cars run ballast weight. Though the ballast might be run at a lower point and maybe it affects CG somewhat.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Boomer The Cannon posted:

It's not like you couldn't use that second battery in lieu of left side weight.

Does Newman need ballast?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I'm sure the average neck weighs at least a pound or two.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah extra weight is moot when the cars run ballast weight. Though the ballast might be run at a lower point and maybe it affects CG somewhat.

Yes, that.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This vegas thing has to be another stupid NASCAR "Oh no sports is moving to Vegas better double down", which is the mentality that got us the Chase. :suicide:

gret posted:

Hey F1 fans loved the quieter engines, right?

I mean, when MotoGP went 4-stroke people didn't like how you couldn't hold conversations in the pits anymore. :shrug:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

New Hampshire's fall race date is officially moving to LV starting next season.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

shyduck posted:

New Hampshire's fall race date is officially moving to LV starting next season.

Thank god we didn't lose a race from KansasTexasCharlotte

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

36 cookie cutters. Turn the Glen into a cookie cutter.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

How did the 1.5 mile D Oval become so popular when it produces the worst "show"?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

How did the 1.5 mile D Oval become so popular when it produces the worst "show"?

Well, there was a time before aero dependence when loose racecars on a high banked and fast mile and a half was exciting, especially compared to contemporary tracks like North fuckin Wilkesboro

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

That makes sense, I didn't really start watching Nascar til the 90's and the wedge shaped cars.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
It's why so many people bitch about Kansas, Texas or Las Vegas and rarely poo poo on Charlotte and Atlanta directly. The typical NASCAR fan will bitch about 1.5's but would also howl in anger if you bulldozed those two because of "mah traditions"

They are also conveniently the perfect size for 150,000 seat grandstands

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I think Charlotte is probably the worst of the 1.5 milers, maybe KS. Atlanta is good right now because of the lovely pavement but that will probably all change once they resurface it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Old Atlanta was amazing to watch but everything is poo poo with these cars.

The other downside is that occasionally a team will 'get' the setup and suddenly you have drivers like Bobby Labonte and later Jimmie Johnson turning every 1.5m track into a curbstomping.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Complaints about a team running away with a race will never cease to amuse me. Like, that's the entire point of the sport. That's not a bug, it's a feature.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It's the goal in any sport but it's pretty dull. Those 52-0 games where college football teams stomp some cupcake aren't exciting either.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
There is nothing wrong with a team crushing the field and lapping everyone to the point where there are only 5 cars left on the lead lap. If NASCAR racing wasn't so manufactured for entertainment, it would probably happen more often even with the parity of the field.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Don't think I've said it yet, but NASCAR dumbing down the engine noise is akin to the Cleveland Browns having an awful team and going "LET'S CHANGE THE UNIFORMS!". It might be nicer at tracks, but it's still not fixing the god drat aero package.

Good news, everyone! The number of 1.5 milers gained and lost next season will wash out:

http://jeffgluck.com/charlotte-motor-speedway-road-course-2018-playoffs/

Bad news(?): It's the Charlotte Roval. I'm glad the Glen and Sonoma are staying Summer races, though. MAH TRADITIONS!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

Complaints about a team running away with a race will never cease to amuse me. Like, that's the entire point of the sport. That's not a bug, it's a feature.
I think these complaints were one of the reasons why we have stages now. I mean it didn't really work out at Atlanta with Harvick running away with the thing until the penalty, but it also gives more meaning to the top 10 throughout the race.

Also it could be a lot worse for sure, like in the days when Petty and Cale were literally lapping the entire field.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 8, 2017

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

shyduck posted:

I think these complaints were one of the reasons why we have stages now. I mean it didn't really work out at Atlanta with Harvick running away with the thing until the penalty, but it also gives more meaning to over top 10 throughout the race.

Also it could be a lot worse for sure, like in the days when Petty and Cale were literally lapping the entire field.

It's also the reason the cars are high downforce and built to spec like everyone hates, and the reason there is a playoff system.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I really would like to see NASCAR for one race at least, mandated a minimum ground clearance for like, I dunno, 3 inches at a cookie cutter.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

shyduck posted:

I really would like to see NASCAR for one race at least, mandated a minimum ground clearance for like, I dunno, 3 inches at a cookie cutter.

This sounds like a good idea until a car turns sideways at 200mph

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Oh yeah don't get me wrong I see nothing wrong with a guy putting most of a field a lap down before halfway. My interest in NASCAR rapidly dropped once they started dropping debris cautions when it seemed like someone might stink up the show.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
gently caress it, reconfigure NHMS to have 50 degree banked turns, let em race without the restrictor plate too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

WindyMan posted:

There is nothing wrong with a team crushing the field and lapping everyone to the point where there are only 5 cars left on the lead lap. If NASCAR racing wasn't so manufactured for entertainment, it would probably happen more often even with the parity of the field.

yeah. bigger problems were those COT races where it looked like someone was running away with the race but then it turned out that it was just because of the insane clean-air advantage the COT gave you. always loved when the "fastest car of the day" was stuck in 10th after a bad pit stop because you couldn't loving pass in those things

• Locked thread