Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

to the few people who own both zelda and horizon, what are the main differences? just off the top of my head I'm thinking it's in:
--climbing mechanics
--weapon durability
--enemy variety

...but I'm curious how the locomotion of parachute stuff in Zelda compares to what moving around and traveling is like in Horizon, or if there's an analogue to the discoveries of kokoroks/shrines/shrine boss things in Horizon. Are they much different in world biome structures and platforming? I actually don't even know if Horizon has a jump button.

https://youtu.be/aVPXKdSEGNQ

https://youtu.be/qEGWtyJAkO0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Oh wow the part with the water. Even World of Warcraft has the water rippling around you and behind you when you swim around (at good water settings anyway). The HZD one ends up looking pretty unimpressive after showing Zelda doing the ripples.

"looking unimpressive" in terms of water ripples I mean, HZD looks gorgeous as hell, Nintendo just put a bit more effort to make the world intractable.

edit: Hm well the second video is a bit more damning lol. I had no idea you could climb up slopes you can't run up in BOTW :swoon:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 8, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this seems more or less an exercise in making GBS threads on Horizon for physics/climbing mechanics it doesn't have. while it's pretty amazing how much Nintendo thought about even little things like setting grass on fire or the way objects can be destroyed, I would have at least liked if the guy who made the videos gave a poo poo about things maybe one game was better at than the other--like the combat or something.

It is def gonna be depressing going back to even other openworld games with a hunter/athletic character who does not possess the rock climbing ability that Link does and they just slide off architecture. I feel like many games should steal that concept.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Guitar Hero 2 was really fun, but many of the tracks in GH3 were downright heinous. The developers just straight up said "hey let's make a bunch of songs impossibly hard in arbitrary ways." I do appreciate that they they have their place for the people who really want a challenge though. As someone said earlier the tracking in GH3 is way more videogamey.

It's not for me though. I had way more fun with Rock Band.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Watching those videos feels like comparing the wrong kinds of games.
Zelda is wonderful, but Horizon is not trying to be what Zelda is and likewise.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

VideoGames posted:

Can anyone else think of collections like this that are as good? (As boxed copies that is, not digital sales).

I got the Quake pack when younger. It came with Q1 and three expansion, Q2 and both expansion, Q3 and Q3TA. That was awesome.
I also got the Doom box which had Ultimate Doom, Doom II and Final Doom (plutonia and tnt) along with an extra disc full of wads and tools.

I never owned Orange Box but I have those Doom and Quake collections. The Doom one is probably my answer for sets that I own.

The best set in existence as of this date is probably Rare Replay.

There's also Metroid Prime Trilogy for Wii and Zelda Anniversary Collection for GameCube, which would be in consideration if they didn't skip Link to the Past and the handhelds :argh:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

VideoGames posted:

Sure, but the video isn't comparing the two games as a whole, it's comparing them on little details that I think add to being immersed into a game. I mean I'm not shocked by HZD not allowing you to climb walls or arrows not taking into account the surface they are being shot at or electricity arrows killing fish. But little things like fish not swimming away from you when you get close, grass and bushes not moving a little when you walk on them, the character not dripping when coming out of the water (granted she is shinier for a minute), snow not leaving footsteps in the ground behind you, etc. Like these seem like just basic details to have in a game and it's noticeable when they're not there. Comparing things like combat and story and art style would be impossible because they want to do different things.

But like... at least leave footprints in the snow Aloy, Secret Ghost Girl

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Agreed.

I don't have the patience to watch all of the videos, but I'm assuming the comparisons show more freedom and more physics in Zelda or something? Because, well, no poo poo. That's the whole point. Zelda has cool physics stuff because that's what they decided to base the majority of the puzzles around and it's a huge part of the game in a way that it isn't in Horizon. Meanwhile, Horizon's combat runs rings around Zelda's in complexity and variety. Zelda's combat is good, probably better than it's ever been (in no small part owing to the variety in enemy behaviors and the huge number of ways you can take enemies out), but Horizon's is so fluid, yet frantic and fast-paced, that it's really hard to compare.

Also, Zelda's pretty, but Horizon is stupid pretty. I've just stopped and stared at nothing but the landscape in Horizon a few times--when I do that in Zelda, it's because I'm looking for somewhere to go, but in Horizon, it's because I just want to soak in how pretty it is.

Macaluso posted:

edit: Hm well the second video is a bit more damning lol. I had no idea you could climb up slopes you can't run up in BOTW :swoon:

Hell yeah, you can climb drat near anything in Breath of the Wild. I think the one exception is that walls in dungeons and shrines can't be climbed so you can't cheese the puzzles that way. Everything else can be climbed. (Well, unless it's raining. Then you'll slip.)

Macaluso posted:

But like... at least leave footprints in the snow Aloy, Secret Ghost Girl

Wait, Aloy doesn't leave footprints? I really thought she did, I was looking out for them. Huh. Not sure why I thought so.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Macaluso posted:

Outside of shrines (which generally have walls that are too slick to climb) you can climb just about anything.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCj2RCOb5gI

For a good example of how Guitar Hero never got away from overcharting, see the beginning of this song making you play two guitars at once.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

Outside of shrines (which generally have walls that are too slick to climb) you can climb just about anything.

This owns and is 100% something ive dreamed about since playing Oblivion

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Shadow of War looks really good and continues to make absolutely zero sense as a LOTR game.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Just don't start climbing in the rain :negative:

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Mordja posted:

Shadow of War looks really good and continues to make absolutely zero sense as a LOTR game.

Shadow of War looks awesome, but were those huge guys Trolls or just really big orcs? They seemed talkative and pretty intelligent compared to the Trolls in the films.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

CJacobs posted:

making you play two guitars at once.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mordja posted:

Have they shown anything over than the CGI trailer?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's also the entirety of Guitar Hero Metallica, which has you playing both Hetfield and Hammett's guitars even though they trade off sections in real life. Which means that technically you are doing more work than the actual members of Metallica do while you are pretending to be them!

Hmm... I have an idea for a guitar hero guitar mod all of a sudden

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Yeah. I mean, they share a genre and some aesthetic/thematic similarities, but HZD and BotW are both nestled comfortably in their chosen gameplay focus. But comparisons are unavoidable, because people glom onto superficialities.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The only reason why they're getting compared is because they came out around the same time and they're console exclusives, which makes the warriors come out to playyyy. I can think of a dozen more games that Horizon and Zelda are more similar to than one another.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a Shadow of War thread? Can't find one with the search and going back like 10 pages. I'm whipping up the OP for one now, but it's a waste of time obv if there is one i didn't find.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Harrow posted:

Agreed.

I don't have the patience to watch all of the videos, but I'm assuming the comparisons show more freedom and more physics in Zelda or something? Because, well, no poo poo. That's the whole point. Zelda has cool physics stuff because that's what they decided to base the majority of the puzzles around and it's a huge part of the game in a way that it isn't in Horizon. Meanwhile, Horizon's combat runs rings around Zelda's in complexity and variety. Zelda's combat is good, probably better than it's ever been (in no small part owing to the variety in enemy behaviors and the huge number of ways you can take enemies out), but Horizon's is so fluid, yet frantic and fast-paced, that it's really hard to compare.

Also, Zelda's pretty, but Horizon is stupid pretty. I've just stopped and stared at nothing but the landscape in Horizon a few times--when I do that in Zelda, it's because I'm looking for somewhere to go, but in Horizon, it's because I just want to soak in how pretty it is.

I think the Zelda and Horizon comparison is interesting because it really brings forth the graphics vs gameplay debate in a new light. Graphics and Physics engines have both developed to the point where you can't have the best of both worlds.

The first example in those videos is grass but there's a couple interesting things to pinpoint.
1. For every blade of grass in zelda, there's at least 100 in Horizon.
2. The grass flattens before Link steps on it when it's short, which shows that the physics properties were created for the tall grass specifically

Something specificaly disingenuous about the comparisons though, is the camera focus. Horizon's focus is on the world itself, and the angle of the camera reflects that. You can see in the videos that the uploader has to constantly adjust the camera to keep it focused on the girl.
Meanwhile, Zelda is focused on Link interacting with the world. Likewise the Camera focused on Link in the center as the focal point.

As a result, I recall beautiful mountains in Horizon, none in Zelda. I recall the zigzag white stripe on Link's red bandana, and the girl in Horizon has a blue or green hair thing?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Shadow Of War's entire writeup ad gameplay video today sounds good on paper--more orc rpg poo poo, armies, fort defense, etc---but I can't help but feel I won't give a poo poo if the combat is still infant-level. The previous game became a joke like 1/3 in wherein I had to start deliberately not upgrading my poo poo or I'd be able to kill everything effortlessly. the sequel badly needs to take it down several notches because things get boring really quick when you're overpowered as gently caress.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

Shadow Of War's entire writeup ad gameplay video today sounds good on paper--more orc rpg poo poo, armies, fort defense, etc---but I can't help but feel I won't give a poo poo if the combat is still infant-level. The previous game became a joke like 1/3 in wherein I had to start deliberately not upgrading my poo poo or I'd be able to kill everything effortlessly. the sequel badly needs to take it down several notches because things get boring really quick when you're overpowered as gently caress.

Any improvements to the nemesis system would help with this.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Guitar Hero got pretty meh after Harmonics stopped making them.

Harmonic spent a ton of effort making sure that the way you played the songs was at least similar to if you were playing a real guitar and they just generally tried to make it so the way their games felt was fair and had a relatively to the actual don't. The games without them just saw notes as button s and had no sense of anything other than having a button press when a sound was supposed to happen. It was night and day really.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo it's actually better when they don't try to 1:1 mimic the real guitar, because then you end up with Ramblin' Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5kRjsoVqSQ

which is miserable to play in Rock Band and under-charted by comparison in Guitar Hero! Yeah, technically the Rock Band version does mimic the motions of the real guitar (strumming and frets) but it's also hard because you aren't strumming or pushing on real strings. There's definitely a compromise between mimicing the movements of the real instrument and just having the controller's buttons be buttons that correspond to the song's rhythm... but sometimes both games screw it up pretty hard.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Nasgate posted:

As a result, I recall beautiful mountains in Horizon, none in Zelda.

not even dueling peaks?? or mount lanaryu. or death mountain. i dunno hoss i'm constantly just stopping to look at vistas and lakes and ruins and such in zelda

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Also Death Mountain is pretty memorable. Especially when you get there.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If anything people should be comparing HZD and Nier, they seem to be closer in that its combat > world design

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The world design is everything in Horizon though. That's probably its single most unique contribution to the formula, the other one being that the combat is pretty good unlike pretty much every other open world game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

they should have designed a world that makes me want to pay $60 to play, instead of waiting for it be on sale, in my opinion. don't @ me

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

oddium posted:

not even dueling peaks?? or mount lanaryu. or death mountain. i dunno hoss i'm constantly just stopping to look at vistas and lakes and ruins and such in zelda

Im talking about what i remember from the videos specifically. I havent played either.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

oddium posted:

they should have designed a world that makes me want to pay $60 to play, instead of waiting for it be on sale, in my opinion. don't @ me

Seems like they don't need your help on this one.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sakurazuka posted:

Have they shown anything over than the CGI trailer?

Yeah, there's a heavily scripted walkthough video: http://www.pcgamer.com/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-expands-the-nemesis-system-to-your-own-army/

Doesn't show much of the actual, regular combat you'll be doing (they've got unlimited executions turned on) but they've really blown out the Nemesis system way more than I would have expected.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Someone should make a game that takes the dialogue and character moments from Alpha Protocol, give it Hitman 2016's gameplay, set it in the mid-80's and call it "The Americans" "Russian Spy Game".

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

In Training posted:

If anything people should be comparing HZD and Nier, they seem to be closer in that its combat > world design

that's obvious, combat is the centerpiece in virtually every Platinum project

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

The world design is everything in Horizon though. That's probably its single most unique contribution to the formula, the other one being that the combat is pretty good unlike pretty much every other open world game.

That and the robot dinosaurs, which are pretty great.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Seems like they don't need your help on this one.

maybe they need your help, in @ing people who requested not to be @ed!! 😤🙅

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The penalty for death in Automata is one of the more punitive I've seen outside of roguelikes. Pretty brutal

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Hmmm recent discussion kinda makes me want to dig out the stupid plastic guitar and play around with GH1-3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Monkey Fracas posted:

Hmmm recent discussion kinda makes me want to dig out the stupid plastic guitar and play around with GH1-3

Do it, as it turns out they still own real hard

• Locked thread