Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

irlZaphod posted:

Apparently the Switch sold 105k units in France during its first week. In comparison with the Wii, that sold 95k in its first week there. Also BOTW has about a 90% attach rate, unsurprisingly.

Which doesn't mean anything for the long term health of the console.

quote:

For evidence of why not to jump to conclusions, look no further than Nintendo's last console, the Wii U. Worldwide, that system sold just over 3 million units by the end of 2012, nearly matching the 3.19 million units the original Wii shipped in its first quarter. That includes about 400,000 units in the Wii U's first week on sale in North America, a figure that increased to 890,000 units six weeks after launch. In Japan, the Wii U managed to sell 300,000 systems in its launch weekend, extending to 636,000 units in its first month.

Those are extremely healthy numbers for any console, easily surpassing the slower starts for the Xbox 360 and PS3 and keeping pace with the launch of the Wii. Yet while those other systems all went on to long-term success (especially the Wii), the Wii U recently ended its life as Nintendo's worst-selling home console of all time, with just 13.5 million units shipped. Who knew that impressive first quarter would represent nearly 23 percent of the Wii U's lifetime sales?

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/03/dont-read-too-much-into-the-switchs-successful-launch-numbers/

I fully expect Switch sales to absolutely and 100% tank by middle to the end of May (Quite possibly sooner) and remain completely 100% flat until the next Mario launch, and we will see a rinse and repeat of the Wii U disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
who cares

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Rime is coming "this Summer" to Switch and costs $10 more than the PC/PS4/Xbone versions for some reason.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Do you have some personal stake in Nintendo failing?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wonder why France was so much more psyched than the UK. Or at least got a much larger shipment. The one time I went to Paris for a week I did get a lot of streetpasses.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Takoluka posted:

Do you have some personal stake in Nintendo failing?

The sooner they fail the sooner Nintendo-games will appear on steam.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's super lame. I don't care about it coming later, it takes time to port and started late, but charging more is ridiculous. I'd expect that from somebody like Capcom or Square-Enix, not some indie developer.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Utnayan posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/03/dont-read-too-much-into-the-switchs-successful-launch-numbers/

I fully expect Switch sales to absolutely and 100% tank by middle to the end of May (Quite possibly sooner) and remain completely 100% flat until the next Mario launch, and we will see a rinse and repeat of the Wii U disaster.

You are insufferable and I can't wait until the Switch is Nintendo's second most popular home console behind the Wii.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Zeldor is the only game ill need on the switch to consider it a success imHo :)

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

i watched the first half hour of this game and it seemed really boring and empty

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

5K sales 1st week in Japan.

Is d5 bad? Or were people just not buying it.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Sprite141 posted:

I tried that before and got instakilled somehow. Maybe one of hos attacks has splash damage, or maybe it's when he gets back up?

His big punch or what ever instakilled me so I would just run around until he did it then start jumping at him.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The New Nintendo Wii U will probably fail just like the last one and usher in a brilliant new era of Nintendo as a publisher

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I just need Zelda to last until

*rummages through scraps of paper*

Mario Kart?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
The Switch is a good compliment to my gaming PC. I like it. That's my cool gaming opinion.

Splatoon2 is going to absorb my life just like the first one.

PS: Get Snipperclips

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
A fully portable MK8 on a nice looking screen just in time for the summer months is going to be soooooo good.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

So on launch day I gleefully set up a Japanese account on my Switch to experience the wealth of extra demos their eShop has to offer (Puyo Puyo). I've now got a 50% Japanese/50% English "News" page, where I can't read half of the contents.

With the OS being as threadbare as it currently stands I doubt I'm missing anything, but I guess it's worth checking. Is everyone else in a similar boat? Did you sign into your Japanese account, download the demo, then purge it from your system? It would be nice to be able to hide that account from the system, but definitely feels like an edge case that they aren't going to support officially.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Isn't the MSRP for the RDS Industries case(s) supposed to be $19.99? The hard shell one that comes in plain black and a couple of Zelda designs. GameStop is charging $24.99 now, what the gently caress.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

MiddleOne posted:

The sooner they fail the sooner Nintendo-games will appear on steam.

^^^ We have a winner.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Utnayan posted:

imo you should :toxx: for this prediction

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Utnayan posted:

Why do you think that?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Kashuno posted:

The Switch is a good compliment to my gaming PC. I like it. That's my cool gaming opinion.

I haven't bought a console since the 360 (ignoring New3DS), and have a well performing (though reasonably old with a new graphics card) PC. As much as I hate to admit it, in my early 30s it will probably be the last console I buy before I "grow up". Other priorities are taking over my time, but a console experience that I can take on the go and play when I have time is perfect. Thanks Nintendo for fitting my needs!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised people don't think the system will sell insanely over the summer for Splatoon. Japan went nuts for Splatoon, and it did pretty well in the US.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Also BOTW is going to remain a system seller because the Switch is selling out. Not everyone who wants one has been able to buy one yet and the word of mouth on BOTW is insane.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Please stop replying to the bad poster.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I brought my switch to work yesterday and holy gently caress it feels baller as hell to walk into my living room, dock the switch, pick up my pro controller, lay down on the couch and continue playing from where I was on my lunch break.

The way the sleep mode works is probably my favorite bit. I just turn it on and I'm in the game right where I was in a matter of seconds. It's so good.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

The way the sleep mode works is probably my favorite bit. I just turn it on and I'm in the game right where I was in a matter of seconds. It's so good.

It would be great even if it wasn't portable. The Wii U took loving forever to start up and get into a game.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Reinanigans posted:

Didn't see it mentioned in the OP: aside from unplugging the AC adapter and taking it with you, what's the best option out there for on-the-go charging?

This got buried in the Switch-hate. Any help?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Splatoon 2 is going to be interesting. It did excellent saleswise on the Wii U, especially for a new IP, and it's really the first big exclusive for the Switch. I'm betting we're going to see a bit of a summer explosion for the Switch because of Splatoon 2.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stan Taylor posted:

I brought my switch to work yesterday and holy gently caress it feels baller as hell to walk into my living room, dock the switch, pick up my pro controller, lay down on the couch and continue playing from where I was on my lunch break.

It drains pretty fast in sleep which is a bit dissappointing. Vita lasted weeks. I wouldnt leave switch out of the charger for a day or two and expect to have enough battery left for a new session

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Reinanigans posted:

This got buried in the Switch-hate. Any help?

There are a bunch of people sharing their experiences with random chargers on reddit: it sounds like anything that can output at around 5v 2.4A will give you a slight charge while playing, even on an A to C USB cable. Those chargers can run 30-40 bucks on amazon. For more higher end chargers there's a dude (something-waffle) who's running tests on serious chargers (80 bucks or so) using equipment to verify the output and everything. Those will give you a ton of power but realistically you probably don't need it. I think there are some potential complications from using USB C to C cables so for that kind of charging I would stick to the chargers that waffle dude has tested and approved. I'm not looking to spend that money so I didn't bother looking too much into it.

Just be sure to buy cables that are reviewed by Benson Leung and you'll be fine.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Tender Bender posted:

There are a bunch of people sharing their experiences with random chargers on reddit: it sounds like anything that can output at around 5v 2.4A will give you a slight charge while playing, even on an A to C USB cable. Those chargers can run 30-40 bucks on amazon. For more higher end chargers there's a dude (something-waffle) who's running tests on serious chargers (80 bucks or so) using equipment to verify the output and everything. Those will give you a ton of power but realistically you probably don't need it.

Just be sure to buy cables that are reviewed by Benson Leung and you'll be fine.

Hmm, if the cheaper ones start at $30, it sounds like just buying a second Nintendo AC adapter would be the best route to go since it's $29.99 itself.

Guess I can't find a cheaper solution. Thanks though!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
So an iPad charger wouldn't be enough to charge and play in handheld mode? Those are 2amp or something.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Reinanigans posted:

Hmm, if the cheaper ones start at $30, it sounds like just buying a second Nintendo AC adapter would be the best route to go since it's $29.99 itself.

Guess I can't find a cheaper solution. Thanks though!

Well I'm talking about actual portable power banks, didn't realize you were asking about a wall charger :v: I don't know the answer to your question!

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

irlZaphod posted:

Please stop replying to the bad poster.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Has anyone actually played Bomberman yet? Middling reviews on metacritic, mine is still in the wrap.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I opened it up to lick it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Nephzinho posted:

Has anyone actually played Bomberman yet? Middling reviews on metacritic, mine is still in the wrap.
Yeah same, I picked it up on Saturday but Sunday was a day of more Zelda tbh and I haven't had Switch time since then really cause of work and other things. I got a case yesterday though and I'm away from tomorrow till Sunday so I'm hoping to get some Switching in.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just some anecdotal evidence on the Pro Controller: I've played probably 20-25 hours of Zelda the last 3 days and haven't charged the Pro once in that period. Battery is still showing like 75% full. Maybe 3 of those hours were played in handheld mode but still, the Pro Controller does appear so far to have insanely good battery life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

So an iPad charger wouldn't be enough to charge and play in handheld mode? Those are 2amp or something.

Not sure, I've only done research into power banks. The guy using official equipment gets good results from 5v 2.4a on a few power banks. People have anecdotally said that 5v 2a works for them, and others said otherwise; it may vary by situation or brand.

I don't really know if the same criteria and concerns people use for portable banks should be used to measure wall chargers so probably don't listen to me.

• Locked thread