Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

Elmon posted:

Is d5 bad? Or were people just not buying it.

D5 is a really solid SRPG, and probably the most refined game in its series. But the Disgaea games have never really been particularly huge sales wise. Another problem is more that D5 already came out two years ago for the PS4, and the Switch port is not adding any new content. The only incentives to buy it if you already own the game are: a) you want a portable version (which is pretty tempting, admittedly); or b) you don't have any of the dlc, which is all being bundled into the port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Tender Bender posted:

Why do you think that?

Well, a variety of reasons. Outside this bubble of the internet (SA Games)

1) Aside from Breath of the Wild, there are only re-releases without a lot of value added to the relaunch of the Switch Ports of Mario Kart and Splatoon. In the short term future (First 9 months until the end of the year)we will see some indie titles which have been played through already, and cost less on other platforms, without a time table given for virtual console and Mario which, unless delayed which would be easy to assume. This leads to a major content drought over the course of the first 9 months since launch.

Once Breath of the Wild is over, I do not believe people will buy a switch for Mario Kart/Splatoon on the go (aside from hardcore Nintendo fans which buy anything Nintendo) when the on the go portion is crippled with an Alpha state online service which requires a second device for lobby/chat. With 8+ million sold on the Wii U for Mario Kart, and an online system which works for Wii U and lives on the console, and the same with Mario Kart 7 and the 3DS, I do not think this is a system seller. Now, had the online service lived on the portable device itself, that would change things.

2) Splatoon sold 4.5 million units on the Wii U. I own it, it's a fun game. However, once again, portable on the go requires a tethered device for lobby/matchmaking, and that same online service is in an alpha state. Hardcore Nintendo fans? Sure. But they will already have their switch. Mass Market? No.

3) Lack of VC. Now, what would sell this device throughout major content gaps would be this. With that said, VC has no time table as of now. Add to that, people will have to buy those titles yet again and they are also not sharable across NNID's, of which Sony and Microsoft both allow for today, but yet those purchases are tied to the console. My advice would be to either 1) Allow downloads of the VC titles already purchased on either the Wii U / 3DS to be available for automatic download without paying for them again. Or, a subscription to all VC titles for the Switch which is included in the online service subscription, hike the price to $59 a year which is in line for Sony and Microsoft, give full access to the library of NES/SNES ports, and you would see the Switch penetrate deep into an install base on this lead alone, basically forcing 3rd party to take notice due to the sheer amount of the target market. They aren't doing this. And they are missing out on a huge value add right here, which basically just amounts to backward compatibility anyway, but this time on the go.

The drought and lack of sales as a result of the content gap with neutered alpha/beta state services will stall sales the entire year; along with the bad word of mouth of hardware, whether valid or not (Perception is reality). As a result, Switch sales will continue to decline rapidly after the Zelda buzz wears off due to a lack of content, a gimped online service, indie titles selling for 25%-100% more than on other platforms, and unfortunately what comes with that? Cancelled development projects for 3rd party with a lack of install base and the cycle of the Wii U continues.

What can save it? A VC subscription service tied into the online subscription as soon as possible with a continual stream of ported games to the switch, easily accessible on the Eshop. This would sustain Switch hardware sales through the next 9-12 months as content catches up for the 1st party titles.

Bottom line: Zelda is the Switch seller, but also released cross platform with the WIi U with zero notable differences aside from portability outside of the house. The only other system seller will be VC on a subscription level service, or Mario. Mario is too far away. And Nintendo cannot afford to have this hardware stall out. Not only from a revenue stand point, but a 3rd party stand point as they are watching this closely as they plan their development cycles, or worse, continue to determine if they should cancel projects, proceed with projects.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 8, 2017

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Nintendo messed up their marketing not doubling down on the Wii U U

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I know it is early to say with there only being one major title on the system, but for those of you who have one do you see it replacing the 3DS?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Nolgthorn posted:

Nintendo messed up their marketing not doubling down on the Wii U U

Wii W (UU)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I started a reply but I'll just say points 1 and 3 are based on complete falsehoods and for point 2 people play portable games online all the time, Monster Hunter exists because of this. Portable is a great feature but you don't have to take advantage of it 100 percent of the time for it to be a great feature.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Meridian posted:

I know it is early to say with there only being one major title on the system, but for those of you who have one do you see it replacing the 3DS?

No in the sense that Nintendo is going to support the 3DS for the next couple of years at least and hasn't said anything about a successor system.

Yes in the sense that it is a Nintendo system with a very convenient mobile mode that essentially makes it a high powered Gameboy.

Basically get one if you like Nintendo and Nintendo games because it is where they will be focusing their energy in the next few years.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Meridian posted:

If they put out the types of games I'd get for the 3ds, definitely. Some of those indie titles hit that spot already. I already hated the poo poo screen and poo poo feeling of actually holding a 3ds, even though I loved its games. I'm happy to replace it.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Then they could have called it SplatUUn

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Splatoon isn't a port. It's a different campaign, different hub, almost all new maps, new mode, new weapons, all new subweapons. If it's a port of Splatoon then Mario Kart 7 is a port of Mario Kart Wii. And of course, it's titled Splatoon 2.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

No in the sense that Nintendo is going to support the 3DS for the next couple of years at least and hasn't said anything about a successor system.

Yes in the sense that it is a Nintendo system with a very convenient mobile mode that essentially makes it a high powered Gameboy.

Basically get one if you like Nintendo and Nintendo games because it is where they will be focusing their energy in the next few years.

I could see them dropping support for the 3DS and moving to the Switch the same way they hopped over to the DS from the Gameboy.

Guess it comes down to the Vita and 3DS devs getting on board.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

The Switch is pretty much the God of handheld systems, having played mine in portable mode a good amount. It will most definitely replace 3DS long term, if it starts out successful in its first year.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Utnayan posted:

Or, a subscription to all VC titles for the Switch which is included in the online service subscription, hike the price to $59 a year which is in line for Sony and Microsoft, give full access to the library of NES/SNES ports, and you would see the Switch penetrate deep into an install base on this lead alone, basically forcing 3rd party to take notice due to the sheer amount of the target market. They aren't doing this. And they are missing out on a huge value add right here, which basically just amounts to backward compatibility anyway, but this time on the go.

terrible idea

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Why do people keep shortchanging the idea of playing games like BotW portably? That is a game changer that has literally never happened before. The ramp up from a 3DS or even a Vita is STAGGERING for a handheld.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

parallelodad posted:

This is very presumptuous for me, a stupid newbie with a reg date of last week, to say, but

Yup, sure is.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Kirios posted:

Why do people keep shortchanging the idea of playing games like BotW portably? That is a game changer that has literally never happened before. The ramp up from a 3DS or even a Vita is STAGGERING for a handheld.

Because they don't own a Switch probably. This really is amazing and way cooler than it sounds on paper.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Nintendo will never go exclusively 3rd party please shut up about it forever.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Tender Bender posted:

I started a reply but I'll just say points 1 and 3 are based on complete falsehoods and for point 2 people play portable games online all the time, Monster Hunter exists because of this. Portable is a great feature but you don't have to take advantage of it 100 percent of the time for it to be a great feature.

Statement 1 will be subjective.

Statement 3 is fact. There is no timetable for VC to be added to the Switch other than we know it will be at some point. We know that NNID's do not share game purchases across 2+ consoles in the house and the eshop purchases are tied to the console itself. We know that the online portion of the subscription will include only 1 VC title for a period of one month, after which, you will have to buy it if you want to continue to play it as it cycles to the next. (This flies against a standard set in the industry now with online services). Without app support, no VC time table, a content drought, and an alpha state online component, with a content drought through to Mario, 3rd party will see sales drop and if it drops enough, are already timid enough due to the Wii U disaster that they will pull out and not take the risk. Risks in this industry are already hard to come by just in game development. Imagine conducting a vertical of your publishing/development business on a "hope" the Switch will sell when all these problems are already arising, on a backwards service platform that doesn't even live up to standards set with the original Xbox.

VC Sub is the ONLY way to bring value at this point. Everything else is set in stone.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I can't understand why Nintendo didn't make a console that's got
  • more power
  • less hardware issues
  • better launch games
  • better battery time
Really that just seems dumb to me. Oh, and also
  • cheaper
What I'm trying to say is that

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Utnayan posted:

Statement 3 is fact. There is no timetable for VC to be added to the Switch other than we know it will be at some point. We know that NNID's do not share game purchases across 2+ consoles in the house and the eshop purchases are tied to the console itself. We know that the online portion of the subscription will include only 1 VC title for a period of one month, after which, you will have to buy it if you want to continue to play it as it cycles to the next. (This flies against a standard set in the industry now with online services). Without app support, no VC time table, a content drought, and an alpha state online component, with a content drought through to Mario, 3rd party will see sales drop and if it drops enough, are already timid enough due to the Wii U disaster that they will pull out and not take the risk. Risks in this industry are already hard to come by just in game development. Imagine conducting a vertical of your publishing/development business on a "hope" the Switch will sell when all these problems are already arising, on a backwards service platform that doesn't even live up to standards set with the original Xbox.

VC Sub is the ONLY way to bring value at this point. Everything else is set in stone.

It's not really trolling when you consistently put more effort into writing these dumb posts than anyone scrolling past them you know

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

• more power
  • less hardware issues
  • better launch games
  • better battery time
  • cheaper

I'm buying one anyway but drat am I ever mad about

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
MK8 Deluxe is going to be packed into some sort of bundle and Switch sales will jump 400% for the month of May.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Nintendo just needs to make their next generation system a Switch with longer battery life and they will forever be the console of choice. I'm most likely buying NBA2K on this thing so I can play on the go.

I kept thinking about Switch not having Street pass type of poo poo but I guess the upcoming Nintendo online service revolves around using your smart device in conjunction with the system. That's pretty cool if I can do all the extra Nintendo ecosystem poo poo on my phone like I do with my PS4. I hope Nintendo can use smart devices better than all those crappy companion apps we've seen for multiplat AAA titles.

Also, holy gently caress cases are sold out everywhere. I got two weeks before my trip to secure one.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

• more power

They did this back in 1994.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW_OPdbnvgY

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

• more power
  • less hardware issues
  • better launch games
  • better battery time
  • cheaper

:yeah:

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider

• more power
  • less hardware issues
  • better launch games
  • better battery time
  • cheaper

They definitely did all that on purpose. As they built and tested the switch, they saw all these issues and said, "There is literally nothing we can do about any of these." and then they shipped the product knowing it was inferior and broken. It's part of their long term goals to success.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don't know about Nintendo's plans but I do think they should make some more Switches because I would really enjoy not having to call a dozen stores every morning.

Amazon Spain is selling them for 319EU right now, which shouldn't be a problem since it's region-free. If you're ordering from the US, that's even lower, so it'll be like $330 including shipping. You'll need to buy a EU to US AC adapter, though.

Moose King fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 8, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Utnayan posted:

This is a pretty painfully stupid claim if serious, and also if not

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Utnayan posted:

Splatoon 2 is a new game, Mario Kart is more than just a port, and they are not the only upcoming games. There's no reason to read your posts when you start off rambling nonsense like that.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Thom P. Tiers posted:

MK8 Deluxe is going to be packed into some sort of bundle and Switch sales will jump 400% for the month of May.

That is more or less what I am waiting for. I am sure it is a fun game, but I have never been a huge Zelda fan and there is nothing else worth buying the system for.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

• more power
  • less hardware issues
  • better launch games
  • better battery time
  • cheaper

Like really what the gently caress are they doing. First party is why people get your console's Nintendo.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Hybridfusion posted:

They definitely did all that on purpose. As they built and tested the switch, they saw all these issues and said, "There is literally nothing we can do about any of these." and then they shipped the product knowing it was inferior and broken. It's part of their long term goals to success.

It's like they never thought to ask the Internet :sigh:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Nintendo should just go back to Hanafuda cards imo. Everything they've done since then was a complete mistake and they've been riding their yakuza coattails

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Tender Bender posted:

Splatoon 2 is a new game, Mario Kart is more than just a port, and they are not the only upcoming games. There's no reason to read your posts when you start off rambling nonsense like that.

I wanted to say this, but you phrased it much better.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tender Bender posted:

Ehhhhh, I'm with you on Splatoon but you gotta give him Mario Kart.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Utnayan posted:

Well, a variety of reasons. Outside this bubble of the internet (SA Games)

Splatoon 2 will move units among:
- Nintendo fans who aren't big Zelda or open world game fans
- people who didn't have the extra cash at launch or MK8 release to get a Switch
- people waiting on joycon issues to be addressed one way or another
- teens and college kids working their summer jobs and having the money to finally buy the Switch with another major release
- Splatoon fans waiting for a Splatoon 2 bundle with special colored joycons seems to be a high hope for some

Sales will start to drop mid april and spike again for MK8, especially if a bundle. They will Spike again around Splatoon2, but definitely not as high as launch of course, console sales never do unless a price drop occurs with a major game bundle. We'll have to see what comes out in the fall besides Skyrim as I expect another moderately big game or two may. Then ya, Mario + holiday season will be a major jump starting black friday.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

parallelodad posted:

A real battle mode, all of the DLC from the previous installment, and new characters on top of that. With two new items as well. It's an enhanced port.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Thom P. Tiers posted:

A real battle mode, all of the DLC from the previous installment, and new characters on top of that. With two new items as well. It's an enhanced port.

There's like zero new tracks. And when you already have 50 characters adding two more when there are really only four types of characters doesn't really add much. It's an enhanced port like Arkham City was.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

parallelodad posted:

Mario Kart 8 had a garbage battle mode to go along with an amazing race mode. It looks like they have fixed the battle mode and slightly enhanced the already great racing mode. It is most definitely a port, but its one with significant additions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Seriously, a Mario Kart port isn't going to matter to anyone who isn't trying to justify the switch they bought in March

• Locked thread