Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I can't even tell who is arguing what anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Doltos posted:

Yep. If they don't like it then don't be a professional athlete. I'll go tell the single mothers out there who bust their asses 365 days a year with no offdays making 35k supporting a family that the poor superstars deserve a week off.

I don't get your point. What is the player's incentive to work hard in a meaningless game?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

These fuckers better not practice anymore, that poo poo is dangerous they can get hurt!

Practice actually matters though.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

dokmo posted:

I don't get your point. What is the player's incentive to work hard in a meaningless game?

To not be a boring embarrassment to the sport? To have some pride that hundreds of thousands of fans took time out of their day to cast a ballot for them?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I have a confession: I can not tell the differences between complete lack of defense and effort, playing passable defense and playoff intensity defense. They just all melt together like a hot fudge sundae

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Lebron throws down a sick dunk while no one plays defense, Doltos fumes while the players continue to laugh and not give a poo poo if he's satisfied with the level of effort in an exhibition game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Doltos posted:

To not be a boring embarrassment to the sport? To have some pride that hundreds of thousands of fans took time out of their day to cast a ballot for them?

But they don't even do that in all regular season games and most of those actually matter somewhat.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Why risk injury on a meaningless regular season when you're 15th place,

14th, 13th, 12th, 11th, 10th, 9th, 8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd place. Better call it a day and not risk hurting yourself. Also hire someone to carry you around, you don't want to get a sprain walking, you're worth millions after all. Also don't participate in kids camps or community exhibition games or international games or play any type of recreational activities with your friends and family, that's an injury risk too

In these cases players are playing for their next contract :shrug:

Unless they're Dwight Howard, in which case they don't care and still manage to sign a huge deal anyway

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The perfect level of defense is the level of defense my favorite team plays, the Houston Rockets. All teams please adjust accordingly and do the same. Thanks.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Time posted:

The perfect level of defense is the level of defense my favorite team plays, the Houston Rockets. All teams please adjust accordingly and do the same. Thanks.

Lou Williams is the perfect Rocket, playing cutout cardboard defense and having long periods of his shot going completely silent

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I have a confession: I can not tell the differences between complete lack of defense and effort, playing passable defense and playoff intensity defense. They just all melt together like a hot fudge sundae

How exciting defense is to watch is directly correlated to how much is on the line.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Doltos posted:

There is no possible way you're making this argument in good faith

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Why are they being a "boring embarassment of the sport"? If the fans are so upset over the state of the All Star Game why are they still buying tickets, watching and even voting for the same guys? Why do all the All Star Games operate almost exactly like that, in other sports, in minor leagues, etc.?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
ACTUALLY the correct and proper answer is that I'm a New York Knickerbockers fan, that is why I do not know what defense looks like, get owned me

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

Practice actually matters though.

Also I was under the impression that teams don't run full-contact practice during the season anyway. For basically the same reason as the all-star game, everyone involved would rather save their health for something that actually counts.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Daltos's dedication to pretty much always being wrong is really kind of impressive, in a way.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/839519911928016897

Never go full D'Antoni

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

ACTUALLY the correct and proper answer is that I'm a New York Knickerbockers fan, that is why I do not know what defense looks like, get owned me

Every time someone says this a single tear rolls down thibs cheek.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

:stare:

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Time posted:

Since they are 15th in defense, this argument makes sense.

Which bring up probably the biggest surprise for me this season: that a team featuring Harden and Ryan Anderson plus zero rim protection can somehow manage to have a league average defense. If it were possible to nominate an assistant coach, Jeff Bzdelik would get my COY vote.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

dokmo posted:

Which bring up probably the biggest surprise for me this season: that a team featuring Harden and Ryan Anderson plus zero rim protection can somehow manage to have a league average defense. If it were possible to nominate an assistant coach, Jeff Bzdelik would get my COY vote.

The Harden-Williams-Gordon lineup is hilariously bad on D though. I wonder if that will lower the team's ranking by playoff time.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The teams should all be owned by municipalities, and additionally everyone involved should be in an 80%+ tax bracket.

Doltos posted:

I would rather there be 1000 boring all star games than a single contender have a season derailed when a guy blows a knee in an exhibition. Despite the fact that there's virtually no chance of that contending team being my favorite in the next 5 years.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Harden-Williams-Gordon lineup is hilariously bad on D though. I wonder if that will lower the team's ranking by playoff time.

That lineup has a Drtg of 121

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So if every player in the dunk contest just walked up to the hoop and did a two footed hop dunk you wouldn't complain?

People can get hurt doing dunks ya know!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Doltos posted:

Athletes aren't people. They are investments. Hope this helps.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

RCarr posted:

So if every player in the dunk contest just walked up to the hoop and did a two footed hop dunk you wouldn't complain?

Which is why stars never participate in it anymore

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Intruder posted:

Which is why stars never participate in it anymore

Bullshit. Stars do Dunk Contest caliber dunks in pre-game warm ups all the time. No star is skipping the dunk contest because he's scared of getting injured. Scared of losing maybe...

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I got into a minor spat with some Kings fans that wanted to dismiss the TMZ report because it was TMZ and that I shouldn't make fun of Vlade saying "character matters" over and over again because English isn't his first language.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Players decline invitations to the dunk contest all the time (for a variety of reasons). The participants accept an invitation and choose to risk their health. All-stars are selected by fans and coaches and have to play.

Also there's some prestige in winning the dunk contest. WHO THE gently caress CARES ABOUT THE ALL STAR GAME?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Replace the all-star game with an exhibition solely of guys who are in a contract year.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

dokmo posted:

Yes, but they have ascended now to their final form

https://mobile.twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/839519911928016897?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Watch out Defense Rankings

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Gobias Ind. posted:

Players decline invitations to the dunk contest all the time (for a variety of reasons). The participants accept an invitation and choose to risk their health. All-stars are selected by fans and coaches and have to play.

Also there's some prestige in winning the dunk contest. WHO THE gently caress CARES ABOUT THE ALL STAR GAME?

Players decline invitations to the all-star game as well. There's probably 50+ instances of players declining to play after being selected. The participants accept an invitation and choose to risk their health for that too, just like the dunk contest. There's no injured player who is going out there playing in the all star game because they were voted in. If they don't want to play, they don't play.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 8, 2017

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Noctone posted:

Daltos's dedication to pretty much always being wrong is really kind of impressive, in a way.

It continues to amaze me how people in SAS complain constantly about sports becoming boring then give the most limp dick white washed responses to everything imaginable.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
This has to be the result of someone saying they bet you can't take Ryan Anderson out of the lineup and make your defense worse. This might help Harden close that rebounding gap with Westbrook though.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

WhyteRyce posted:

I got into a minor spat with some Kings fans that wanted to dismiss the TMZ report because it was TMZ and that I shouldn't make fun of Vlade saying "character matters" over and over again because English isn't his first language.

But have you ever considered...

Character.

Matters.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Doltos posted:

It continues to amaze me how people in SAS complain constantly about sports becoming boring then give the most limp dick white washed responses to everything imaginable.

White washed?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

RCarr posted:

I already only watch the dunk contest as a highlight reel later and only if it sounds good (which it is maybe 1/6 years) so whatever, I just wouldn't watch it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

RCarr posted:

Players decline invitations to the all-star game as well. There's probably 50+ instances of players declining to play after being selected. The participants accept an invitation and choose to risk their health for that too, just like the dunk contest.

Incorrect. If you are hurt or need to rehab that's one thing, but if you are healthy the Commissioner has leaned on players to attend, making it not really a choice. It happened to Barkley
https://books.google.com/books?id=_7oDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA52&lpg=PA52X&ved=0ahUKEwjDorii7v_NAhUj64MKHeoYAAkQ6AEILDAC#v=onepage&q&f=false

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Doltos posted:

this is a pro tier don quixote post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Spoeank posted:

But have you ever considered...

Character.

Matters.

Like, I don't understand that defense of him. Vlade said he had a better deal on the table two days ago and a bunch of people laughed at him and then the Sacramento media immediately jumps to his defense saying "ENGLISH ISN'T HIS FIRST LANGUAGE HE MEANT TO SAY OFFER NOT DEAL" as if that should completely change how we view the trade. Like, no one thought that Vlade agreed to the better deal and he got bamboozled by a dirty last minute swap, or that he had two competing offers on the table and willingly went with the worst one. Now anything he says that makes him sound dumb or hypocritical is just confusion on our part because we don't understand English isn't his first language. It's the weirdest strawman that people put up to defend him.

• Locked thread