Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nah, that's obtuse, thinking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Conot posted:

This is one of the weirder but non-harmful derails in ADTRW recently.

This is a good thing. I've seen worse derails in the past couple of weeks.

Much worse.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Or you could just write Medium Black Coffee.

Or you could just not order coffee at Starbucks, because their coffee is poo poo.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Literally any other coffee shop here in Monterrey (México) has better coffee than Starbucks, and even some of the "artisan" Coffee shops are cheaper. If you have a Stop 'n Go, 7-Eleven or similar near you, just get your coffee there. It's gonna be dirt cheap and unless you need to have soy milk or something like that, you're golden.

Let's get back on track to talk about these lovable idiots. I offer this image of Dust, crabcore enthusiast:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Sandman posted:

Or you could just not order coffee at Starbucks, because their coffee is poo poo.

Starbucks is not the only place that does that though

i've never had starbucks in me life venti can still git tae fuk

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Literally any other coffee shop here in Monterrey (México) has better coffee than Starbucks, and even some of the "artisan" Coffee shops are cheaper. If you have a Stop 'n Go, 7-Eleven or similar near you, just get your coffee there. It's gonna be dirt cheap and unless you need to have soy milk or something like that, you're golden.

Let's get back on track to talk about these lovable idiots. I offer this image of Dust, crabcore enthusiast:

One of the demon king's top generals has suggested he's equivalent to a god. We should show him appropriate respect.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

One of the demon king's top generals has suggested he's equivalent to a god. We should show him appropriate respect.

Vanir is the best. I know I said it before, but the guy who voices him really reminds me of when Sugita goes full hog in Gintama. :allears:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Less than 24 hours until the next konosuba episode, friends. :shobon:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Conot posted:

This is one of the weirder but non-harmful derails in ADTRW recently.

TBH I really love derails. Like, what the heck else are we gonna talk about for 24 hours.

When it comes to Yukko being awkward I always felt like this was the best clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWfHLPrfkho

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why can't people name their convenience store fried chicken normally.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Hate-Senpai posted:

Why can't people name their convenience store fried chicken normally.

Gotta stand out from all the other fried chicken sellers, I guess.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
This show is so good. Thanks for posting the thread, Drutten, or I would never have come across it.

I'm running a D&D campaign at the moment, and none of them have seen this show. So many great ideas to steal!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
How early should you introduce them to a Vanir

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jackard posted:

How early should you introduce them to a Vanir

vanir's dungeon of dumb bullshit is an adventure for players level 11-13

it's basically the tomb of horrors except all the death is replaced with pies to the face

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yinlock posted:

vanir's dungeon of dumb bullshit is an adventure for players level 11-13

it's basically the tomb of horrors except all the death is replaced with pies to the face

Vanir is even like D&D Devils in that killing him on the material plane does not even do anything to him.

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Vanir is even like D&D Devils in that killing him on the material plane does not even do anything to him.

Best part is that Darkness technically defeats him with roleplaying. Take that minmaxing.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Wind Tempest posted:

Best part is that Darkness technically defeats him with roleplaying. Take that minmaxing.

But then Megumin defeated him by using minmaxing...

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

but killing him took one of his lives

(i don't think it's ever explained what this means beyond "actual devils are weird")

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I've written EXPLOSION as a spell into the game, it's so fantastically stupid.
A dumb dungeon of bullshit is also on the cards.
Even simple stuff, like how the show designs animal monsters around a single simple behaviour. It's a great way of designing "kill quests" without them seeming like kill quests.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

You should give them the quest from the OP, complete with all the setpieces.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yinlock posted:

but killing him took one of his lives

(i don't think it's ever explained what this means beyond "actual devils are weird")

Vanir only has one life. The one belonging to his true duke of hell self. The Vanir we see is just an avatar of him manifested on the material plane. He is a goof so he felt like changing the look of his mask and calling himself Vanir MK II. There is no actual difference and the death of his first avatar had no effect on him what so ever.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

AnoHito posted:

You should give them the quest from the OP, complete with all the setpieces.
Also the giant frogs from episode two stealing goats :jiggled:

Jackard fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 8, 2017

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Vanir only has one life. The one belonging to his true duke of hell self. The Vanir we see is just an avatar of him manifested on the material plane. He is a goof so he felt like changing the look of his mask and calling himself Vanir MK II. There is no actual difference and the death of his first avatar had no effect on him what so ever.

Wait, so Kazuma's product development with Vanir is a... deal with the devil? :haw:

Kazuma is gonna get hosed at some point here.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

He makes another brief reference to it in a flashback about how someone "almost took one of my lives" so it might actually be a weird thing he has

but yeah it's also entirely possible he's just loving around

explosion's one selling point is that nothing can really shrug it off, so vanir probably took some legit damage from it at least

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
My impression is Vanir tends to not lie, maybe hold information and give half truths, but i cant remember him ever lying.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Vanir is (kinda) like Kirei in Fate/Stay Night. He doesn't need to lie. He can troll just fine by telling the truth, half-truths and/or withholding info.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yinlock posted:

He makes another brief reference to it in a flashback about how someone "almost took one of my lives" so it might actually be a weird thing he has

but yeah it's also entirely possible he's just loving around

explosion's one selling point is that nothing can really shrug it off, so vanir probably took some legit damage from it at least

Well they did take one of the lives of his avatars. Does not change that he has an infinite number of them. (Though only one at a time.)

Explosion killed Vanir. But due to his nature It had no effect on his true body in hell. Who just created another manifestation of himself put a MK II on the Mask and sent it forth.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well they did take one of the lives of his avatars. Does not change that he has an infinite number of them. (Though only one at a time.)

Explosion killed Vanir. But due to his nature It had no effect on his true body in hell. Who just created another manifestation of himself put a MK II on the Mask and sent it forth.

i don't think that's how he works, but we don't really have enough to go on so to each their own

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Has an ln adaptation ever gotten a third season

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Theres plenty of source content left and its still Deens most popular running show. Plus they can make it on a shoestring budget because it'll still be funny as gently caress

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ninjewtsu posted:

Shana and Familiar of Zero did. Index/Railgun got 4 seasons (don't know if that counts, what with Railgun's based on the manga and all) out of material.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Theres plenty of source content left and its still Deens most popular running show. Plus they can make it on a shoestring budget because it'll still be funny as gently caress

But that decision is more motivated by "is the LN selling boatloads" than anything else right? And successive seasons have diminishing returns on that, so the production committee usually says "good enough, let's try to find the next big hit" after season 2, even if it's popular, right?

My immediate gut reaction is to assume it won't happen, but since it seems pretty popular I can't help but hope that a season 3 would be considered worthwhile.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Slayers got three 26 seasons and a bunch of films and two ovas, though it was in a different time. They added another 2 seasons of 13 eps years later too.

Wark Say posted:

Shana and Familiar of Zero did. Index/Railgun got 4 seasons (don't know if that counts, what with Railgun's based on the manga and all) out of material.
I'd really like to see more railgun. Index is kinda meh, but railgun owns af.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Splode posted:

I've written EXPLOSION as a spell into the game, it's so fantastically stupid.
A dumb dungeon of bullshit is also on the cards.
Even simple stuff, like how the show designs animal monsters around a single simple behaviour. It's a great way of designing "kill quests" without them seeming like kill quests.

Sentient Cabbages would certainly make for an entertaining event.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

Slayers got three 26 seasons and a bunch of films and two ovas, though it was in a different time. They added another 2 seasons of 13 eps years later too.

I'd really like to see more railgun. Index is kinda meh, but railgun owns af.

Was the "main" storyline from Slayers (The Lina/Gourry-centric narrative) ever completely animated? If I don't misremember (It's been over a decade, so cut me some slack if I'm wrong), wasn't one season almost completely original material/filler?

Railgun is weird. I know that part of the deal is that, instead of being like Index what with "THE WORLD AT LARGE, SCIENCE AND MAGIC MEET" or whatever bullshit Touma used to blab about in the episode previews, Railgun keeps it all inside of Academy city and does world building much better. Like, I know that Kazuma Kamachi is up there with NisiOisiN as far as being both nucking futs and super prolific, but I still think that, if he wrote Index similarly to what he does in Index, I wouldn't have bailed on him after the Othinus reveal. Also, the loli fanservice can get cringe-worthy.

Oh! I just realized...

ninjewtsu posted:

The Monogatari series. I think Akiyuki Shinbou Simbo has said that he plans to adapt EVERYTHING that Nisio does with the Monogatari franchise.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Kazuma and Megumin's outfits match :3:
This poor other adventurer though, he's trying so hard.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Wark Say posted:

Was the "main" storyline from Slayers (The Lina/Gourry-centric narrative) ever completely animated? If I don't misremember (It's been over a decade, so cut me some slack if I'm wrong), wasn't one season almost completely original material/filler?

Third season was entirely anime original (and had tons of lovely filler, but also some real funny ones and the main story was kinda ok), but then in... I think 2008 or 9 (so >10 years after the last season), they made a new season that got split into 2 13 ep seasons due to time constraints, and those finish the ln story and are pretty decent. They keep the old slayers art style, but go full in with the CG for effects, so you get rad as gently caress nukes drag slaves.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Aqua bullying this episode was premium quality, which is great/bad.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The Aqua bullying this episode was premium quality, which is great/bad.

But is it really bullying if she induced it through misunderstandings created by her own idiocy?

Also seriously the sound editing in this show is brilliant. The whole thing with the confession booth really exemplified that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Good faces this episode