Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

An idea I've had for a while: Gave up a shorty? Say goodbye to your powerplay.

That would just make teams play more defensively during the only point in a hockey games where teams actually take a few risks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

fighting after clean hits is stupid but so is standing around after someone gets hurt like it's europe.

maybe add a 2 minute penalty for fighting with your gloves on and then you can also ignore some of the ejections that happen when someone fights with tape on their hands

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
oh god a dan girardi av lol

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
With no off-sides there'd be even more icing than there is currently since teams would be whizzing home run passes down the ice.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

like, GMs are totally against the blueline being a plane which makes more sense and would speed up the game (I think linesmen have gotten more conservative about calling offsides after the review went in because they don't want to have to keep calling poo poo back) but oh no putting in more rules about icing and poo poo is the way to go and while we're at it gently caress your olympics

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

maybe if they call a penalty on a hit then there's no instigator or fighting majors. remember this all came around because steve moore was getting chased around a week after he threw a bad hit

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Shorthanded chances on power plays are awesome, partly because they're almost always breakaways or odd man rushes.

Hayes+Miller on the PK are super exciting to watch because they score a lot and give up a ton of goals.

Hayes at 4v5: Four goals for, over nine goals against per 60 mins.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?disp=1&db=201617&sit=4v5&pos=skaters&minutes=1&teamid=20&type=goals&sort=F60&sortdir=DESC

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol at levitate's av

also if you want to see exactly how atrocious the flyers have been since the start of the year, their SBNation page has you covered!

quote:

Entering last night’s game against the Buffalo Sabres, the Flyers’ goal-based metrics at 5-on-5 were nothing short of horrid. Their Goals For percentage of 41.74% ranked 29th in the NHL, ahead of only the Colorado Avalanche, and it’s been even uglier since the turn of the calendar year. Over their past 26 games, Philadelphia was outscored 26 to 50 during 5v5 situations, good for an eye-poppingly atrocious 34.21% Goals For percentage. No team has been worse in 2017.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Levitate posted:

amazing

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

losing the power play because you give up a shg is stupid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzAVxUbRQ68

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

With no off-sides there'd be even more icing than there is currently since teams would be whizzing home run passes down the ice.

Remove icing for attempted passes. Leave it for clears.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Bring back banana blades. As long as they aren't sharpened to point let players do whatever they want to their sticks.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Remove icing for attempted passes. Leave it for clears.

And how do you draw the line on what's what?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/839555515600486400
https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/839555637193363456

But how will we ever know what bad protections the GMs made? And better yet if there's any players who are hurt over not being protected?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/839555515600486400
https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/839555637193363456

But how will we ever know what bad protections the GMs made? And better yet if there's any players who are hurt over not being protected?

boooo I want to know what other bad decisions Benning makes :mad:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

santanotreal posted:

And how do you draw the line on what's what?

Discretionary icing is a thing.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Here is one idea to increase scoring

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Is the Salary Cap bumping up to about $75M next season? Or was that always planned?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Oh man I can't wait for no talent scrubs to score a bunch of goals by skating at full speed into the goalie then gently tapping the puck in. That will be so awesome and exciting.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I just want every game to be like the Flyers-Pens series

Is that so much to ask?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
New Levitate av is :lol: a+

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Is the Salary Cap bumping up to about $75M next season? Or was that always planned?

I think it'd been planned to go up there as of a year or two ago but the canadian dollar being down postponed it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

Discretionary icing is a thing.

Unless I'm crazy it was supposed to be more emphasized coming out of the first lockout where they said they'd stop calling icing on attempted passes but as the years wore on it seems like anything that isn't directly on a guy's tape is an icing even if it's the most clear attempted pass of all time.

I'd prefer they call it that way. I hate icings where it was clear the player didn't intend to chuck it down the ice. Even worse are the icings where the opposing team's defenseman comes flying down the boards to try to keep a puck alive and so the winger panics and bails out slightly on the attempted pass and it's an ice. gently caress all that.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

got so tired of looking at your other one

e: we are all girardi

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 8, 2017

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Replace all goalies with the monster goalie from Mutant League Hockey and institute the Bribe The Ref function.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/839502828985012224

https://twitter.com/THWMark/status/839275503139897344

:golfclap:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

DJExile posted:

I think it'd been planned to go up there as of a year or two ago but the canadian dollar being down postponed it.

Its less the Canadian dollar and more Rogers driving away a ton of viewers/fans in Canada by airing the worst product we've seen since the FOX glowy puck era.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Regarding timeouts after icing: I think they should be banned, if and only if there hasn't been a non-icing faceoff in the last minute of game time. Like if you hadn't had a line change in two minutes because of icing, you can use the timeout.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

got so tired of looking at your other one

e: we are all girardi

thanks dude but when the Rangers buy him out this summer I guess we'll have to get new ones right I mean it's inevitable that he'll be gone...right? :(

e: regarding the cap I think it depends on if the players want to use their option to bump it or not

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Levitate posted:

thanks dude but when the Rangers buy him out this summer I guess we'll have to get new ones right I mean it's inevitable that he'll be gone...right? :(

At least we still have Aaron Rome.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Furnaceface posted:

Its less the Canadian dollar and more Rogers driving away a ton of viewers/fans in Canada by airing the worst product we've seen since the FOX glowy puck era.

FOX glowy puck was cool though. I liked it :smith:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Icings require a mandatory fight between two players and if the team that iced it loses they don't get to change

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you ice the puck but make it to the bench before the whistle, that's okay and you can change.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

If you ice the puck but make it to the bench before the whistle, that's okay and you can change.

Olli Maatta crawls off the ice ten minutes later

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Zodijackylite posted:

What is bad about hockey are stoppages that interrupt fast play. Offsides reviews that rewind the game on a technicality are terrible. Scrums after big clean hits are also dumb, and it is much better when they're responded to in play and ramp up the intensity of games. Scrums around the net after the goalie covers up in traffic almost up the intensity of the stoppage, but fighting after hip checks is dumb.

Also: Stop loving around taking forever lining up faceoffs and kicking guys out and redropping the puck. Nobody in the crowd gives a poo poo if you're absolutely fair and faceoffs don't matter that much anyway.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Thufir posted:

Also: Stop loving around taking forever lining up faceoffs and kicking guys out and redropping the puck. Nobody in the crowd gives a poo poo if you're absolutely fair and faceoffs don't matter that much anyway.

The linesmen who fake drop the puck to see who's gonna cheat should be shot

Zybl0re
Aug 10, 2002

I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS SHIT!
It's interesting what was discussed a bit on the last page re: what rules to actually enforce. I kind of like seeing players try to cheat with their sticks a bit re: a bit of slashing and hooking, especially since if you haul someone down, you're pretty much definitely getting a penalty. But holding and obstruction on dump-ins and zone entries is definitely a thing, and I think cracking down on that might have the effect of making useless, slow D even more useless, which would push them out of the game. Presumably they would be replaced with faster D who are by definition more fun to watch.

I also think this is an issue worthy of discussion among GMs, if only they had some kind of forum in which to meet and discuss! Perhaps they should consider getting together once or twice a year so they can figure this kind of thing out!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Make it like Mario Party - bonus goals are awarded to the team with the most shots, the most penalties, etc.

Or make every goal worth 7 - people love that one for some reason.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Make it like Mario Party - bonus goals are awarded to the team with the most shots, the most penalties, etc.

Or make every goal worth 7 - people love that one for some reason.

Every goal is worth 6 and then they get a chance at shooting through a little slot from center ice for the 7th point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Jonathan Dahlen had a pretty good game last night

https://twitter.com/HockeyWebCast/status/839578048869593094

Enjoy your free Filip Forsberg, CAS :unsmith: