Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
What teams would you consider on a short timer for success right now. e.g teams that have an ageing cast of vets that are going to cripple them when they leave in a couple of years as they go into a rebuilding phase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CyberPingu posted:

What teams would you consider on a short timer for success right now. e.g teams that have an ageing cast of vets that are going to cripple them when they leave in a couple of years as they go into a rebuilding phase

New England

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The Packers are getting a little old too.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

CyberPingu posted:

You could basically just go off QB age at this point:
- Brady 39
- Roethlisberger 34
- Eli 36
- Rivers 35
- Brees 38

Every one of those guys is looking at probably 2-3 more years of good play at the most, and when they retire or drop off, their teams are hosed if they haven't found a successor. New England might not be, but I've always been under the impression that Belichick would retire when Brady does.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

TheChirurgeon posted:

- Brady 39
- Roethlisberger 34
- Eli 36
- Rivers 35
- Brees 38

Every one of those guys is looking at probably 2-3 more years of good play at the most, and when they retire or drop off, their teams are hosed if they haven't found a successor. New England might not be, but I've always been under the impression that Belichick would retire when Brady does.

It would be the most Belichick thing to not retire and walk to a SB with Brady's replacement to cement that its all him

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CyberPingu posted:

It would be the most Belichick thing to not retire and walk to a SB with Brady's replacement to cement that its all him

I wouldn't be surprised if Belichick is secretly funding cybernetic research so that when his body fails him his mind could be transferred to one of those robotic tackling dummies.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Louis Riddick on espn talking about Joe Mixon: "...I really want to get inside his mind and take me back to that incident and tell me exactly all the particulars to try to understand what his thought process was leading up to that event, immediately following that event because I tell you what, I have a hard time grasping that incident based off what the video shows."

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

TBeats posted:

Louis Riddick on espn talking about Joe Mixon: "...I really want to get inside his mind and take me back to that incident and tell me exactly all the particulars to try to understand what his thought process was leading up to that event, immediately following that event because I tell you what, I have a hard time grasping that incident based off what the video shows."

lol

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/aroundthenfl/status/839464501514653696

made me laugh

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

CyberPingu posted:

That wouldn't surprise me so much--I 100% believe that BB is the greatest coach of all time--but I'm just not sure he wants to go through all that with a sub-HoF QB.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Also, here are my rankings for "how hosed is this team if its QB retires right now" (1 is 'most hosed'):

1. Giants
2. Chargers*
3. Saints
... a wide gulf
4. Steelers
... a second, wider gulf
5. Patriots

that said, I would pay good money to watch the Giants try to play a season with Nassib under center

*Note: The Giants have a more talented roster than the Chargers, but if the Chargers lost Rivers they'd just be rebuilding, which they're already kind of doing anyways. The Giants are still built around Eli and would have more work to do, in my opinion. Plus, struggling in Los Angeles where no one gives a gently caress is harder than struggling in New York.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
The Chargers are pretty boned anyway because of their inability to evaluate o-line talent for like, a decade now.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

warcrimes posted:

He also led the league in completion percentage, I think. Or downfield completion percentage. Not a HoF stat by any means but I've been saying he's a good QB in poo poo circumstances for a couple of years now. Imagine if the Vikes get an o-line worth a poo poo and/or find a running game.

Child please, just wait until I post my Mojave Raiders tat pics

You guys are gonna be so jelly over my Hong Kong Combat Orcas tat

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Demetrius Harris (underwhelming Chiefs backup TE) has been busted for felony possession of the devil weed.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

TheChirurgeon posted:

That wouldn't surprise me so much--I 100% believe that BB is the greatest coach of all time--but I'm just not sure he wants to go through all that with a sub-HoF QB.

Also, here are my rankings for "how hosed is this team if its QB retires right now" (1 is 'most hosed'):

1. Giants
2. Chargers*
3. Saints
... a wide gulf
4. Steelers
... a second, wider gulf
5. Patriots

that said, I would pay good money to watch the Giants try to play a season with Nassib under center

*Note: The Giants have a more talented roster than the Chargers, but if the Chargers lost Rivers they'd just be rebuilding, which they're already kind of doing anyways. The Giants are still built around Eli and would have more work to do, in my opinion. Plus, struggling in Los Angeles where no one gives a gently caress is harder than struggling in New York.

If Carr decided he wanted to quit his job and move his family to Africa to spread the word of the Lord the Raiders are easily a 4 win team

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Tebow batting 8th in today's Mets - Red Sox spring training game

1pm ET

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Blitz7x posted:

If Carr decided he wanted to quit his job and move his family to Africa to spread the word of the Lord the Raiders are easily a 4 win team

read that as "spread the word of our Lord, the Raiders."

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Not incorrect

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Tebow batting 8th in today's Mets - Red Sox spring training game

1pm ET

Who's making the GDT

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Tim will hit a HR or my names not Ehud J. Goonington

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Blitz7x posted:

I pretty much assumed he means retired due to age after a long career, not retires out of nowhere for no reason at 25

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
What's the baseball equivalent of this:

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

fartknocker posted:

I just now noticed that the first defender Tebow evades ends up being the one who takes him out.

That's cool

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

fartknocker posted:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Perfect

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Tebow's the DH, I wanted to see him boot some balls in the field :(

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Every part of this is the best

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

I forgot about this. Lol the Padres.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Bad Moon posted:

I forgot about this. Lol the Padres.

That's the Astros at their tankiest

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I could have sworn it was the Padres

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Nope, that's Altuve covering first before the ball goes wide and into right field

He may actually be the only player involved in that play who's still on the team

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

That's the Astros at their tankiest

iirc we opened that offseason with something like $5M in obligations and started the season with a $22M payroll, a full like 15M below the next lowest team

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
:siren: Tebow batting leadoff at bottom of inning 3 :siren:

Update: Tebow walks out to cheers and standing ovation?

haha caught looking on 4 pitches

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 8, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Three errors?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Should only be two (throw to first, throw home). The Three Stooges bit at the beginning didn't necessarily prevent any outs from occurring since it was a ground ball.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Joey Freshwater posted:

:siren: Tebow batting leadoff at bottom of inning 3 :siren:

Update: Tebow walks out to cheers and standing ovation?

haha caught looking on 4 pitches

When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

TheChirurgeon posted:

iirc we opened that offseason with something like $5M in obligations and started the season with a $22M payroll, a full like 15M below the next lowest team

Wandy Rodriguez was by far the highest paid player by the Astros that season

He was not on the Astros

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Necessity, vis a vis slamming your head into a wall to celebrate a TD, is the mother of invention: http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/27/rams-former-quarterback-gus-frerotte-helping-to-develop-a-thermometer-for-the-brain

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Sad we couldn't make a trade work, but this will ultimately be better for our cap situation if he's designated a June 1 cut. Godspeed, Tony

https://twitter.com/jonmachota/status/839552309248069634

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Please Tony

Please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I was out getting lunch before and they had a TV on that showed that the Redskins GM and Cousins might leave? Man this would be so great if true. I've been so worried that guy would win them Superbowls and if him and Cousins leave?? Then they're back to the drawing board!! HA HA HA

I just wish it happened before this year so we'd beat them at home and not have that which in my opinion is the worst loss in Ravens history.

• Locked thread