Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

n8r posted:

I'm not trying to start car talk. I'm just wondering how a 2004 Porsche is a 4 year old car.

why don't you just PM him instead of this stupid bullshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

n8r posted:

I'm not trying to start car talk. I'm just wondering how a 2004 Porsche is a 4 year old car.

It's not, you petty, creepy, jealous little goon. If you were really following closely you'd see that it wasn't even purchased at the same time as (the 2013 Land Cruiser) my recent posting here was about, and a 2004 Cayenne turbo is clearly NOT worth anywhere close to the numbers I've been discussing.

Mr. Fix It posted:

I dunno, maybe he's talking about a different car in this thread, you crazy forum stalker.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

This thread is now confirming my stereotype that people who place high value on their cars are weird losers.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Droo posted:

This thread is now confirming my stereotype that people who place high value on their other people's cars are weird losers.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Please stop the car derail.

Here is a funny / sad one from Reddit where the girl realize she has a problem, but also thinks that her boyfriend who:

- Bought a house on a $16 wage
- Finances a race car to drive on dirt roads on the weekends
- Spent $500 to cut a tree in their yard because it was throwing off the look of the lawn
- and "spends money without batting an eye and won't tell me how much money he has this week which shows confidence in his finances"

is her financial guru.

She needs to figure out how to save more than 55% of their pre-tax take home pay, wants him to manage the money, but also not stop her from buying anything she wants or cause stress on the relationship.

quote:

I have a money spending addiction; my family enables it by giving me excess money while I'm in school; my fiancé is there to help, but I don't know how I should allow him to help; I need advice on how not to waste $1600 a month.

When I was 18 and in college, I maybe had a few credit card bills because I was stupid. But my college gave us a $1000+ food card and my family paid for my college and gave me $1000 a month for whatever I wanted. I spent it on food, alcohol, weed, clothes, etc. I'd make it to the 15th of the month and have to call for food money.
That was the worst financial spot I've ever been in.

When I was 19 to 21 I lived with my now ex-boyfriend (we stayed together 2 years) and I had help from my family while I was in cosmetology school and he worked 20 hours a week. My rent was paid and we just paid for bills and food. It wasn't as bad as my college days but sometimes I had to call for help. I knew most of my problem was lack of self control and my family enabling me.

I'm 22 now and live with my fiancé who is also 22. He is the epitome of the ideal financially responsible person. At 22 he makes $16 an hour with his family company, he just bought a house that we live in, he pays his mortgage and all our bills no problem. He pays for our dates. He has money saved up to race his race car on the weekends. We just cut a tree down in the front yard and it was $500 and he didn't bat an eye. I would have needed help. I don't ask him for money. I don't ask him for gifts. I never wanted to know how much money he had, but when someone becomes your future husband you live with you start to figure out the financial situation.

At first I worked 20 hours a week and got small help from my family. I made about $200 every two weeks and my family gave me $300 every two weeks to help and I was pretty good. I bought all our food and dates, I paid the $100 cable bill. Had enough left over for my crafting hobby. But, now the tables have turned and I'm afraid.

I'm going back to school so I can get a job that pays on average $15 an hour because we want to get married and start a family and I don't want to piggy back on his finances. We had a pregnancy scare but he wasn't even concerned. He said, "I have the money for our baby." So now I'm strictly volunteer at my "job" until I start the technical school in the fall. So suddenly my family has decided to deposit the most amount of money I've ever gotten in my bank account.

I'll be getting $1600 a month. That's $800 on the 1st and $800 on the 15th.

It's March 3rd and I have $400 left. I realized my spending addiction was rearing its head so I finally confessed to my fiancé my issues. He was only mildly surprised. He knew I was bad with money but not how bad. I know that about $200 went to work shoes and clothes and the rest was probably food and crafts from Hobby Lobby. He said the $200 wasn't bad because I needed those things. But the missing $200 has him concerned since it's only the 3rd of the month.

I'm getting $1600 a month and my only bills are $130 worth of cable, Internet, and Hulu. Then $600 a month on food. That means I should have over $800 left to save for vacations, emergencies, necessities, cat food, etc. But I don't know how to budget and I have no self control.

We've talked about me giving my fiancé the money to budget for me and allow me an allowance weekly for lunch money. Then I should ask him if I can go to Hobby Lobby and how much I spend there. That I take his card to the grocery store and spend $150 weekly of my own money and if I go over $10 or $20 he's got that no problem. I'm just scared of that option. I'm scared of not having any money. I'm scared he'll tell me I can't buy something. (Even though in reality he wouldn't tell me no so he can keep the money, he'd just say no if I don't need to spend $200 at Hobby Lobby.)

I guess my first question is: is this a good idea? Letting my financially responsible fiancé handle my money for me? If I do this I won't excessively spend and then we could finally go on vacation for the weekend to the aquarium or sightseeing. But then I'm so terrified of not having all my money to spend on what I want.

My second question is this: If you got $1600 a month and ONLY had to spend it on $130 worth of bills and $600 worth of food, what would you do with the rest? How would you budget it? How much would you save, how much would you keep for necessities and animal food, how much for emergencies, and how much for fun money?

I'm sure most of you are going to read this and be crawling in your skin. I know my fiancé is. But I've been having money issues my entire life and my family continues to enable me with excess money and I just don't want to waste this money this time around...

Thanks in advance for any advice y'all have.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5xbmjx/i_have_a_money_spending_addiction_my_family/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 8, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Here is a funny / sad one from Reddit where the girl realize she has a problem, but also thinks that her boyfriend who:

- Spent $500 to cut a tree in their yard because it was throwing off the look of the lawn
- and "spends money without batting an eye and won't tell me how much money he has this week which shows confidence in his finances"

is her financial guru.

She needs to figure out how to save more than 55% of their pre-tax take home pay, wants him to manage the money, but also not stop her from buying anything she wants or cause stress on the relationship.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5xbmjx/i_have_a_money_spending_addiction_my_family/

"Sounds like he's good with money so have him take care of the finances. There's a reason he's 22 and owns a house while making $16 an hour."

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

is her financial guru.

Troll or fiance sells weed on the side.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
She spends all her money at Hobby Lobby and lives in fear that one day she'll be at Hobby Lobby and her fiance will tell her she can't buy something there.

If it's real that house is so filled with crappy styrofoam "crafts" they can barely move.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Oh man.

From the comments about the girl who wants to give her fiance all of her money and has a spending addiction:

quote:

The dynamic of our relationship is definitely not one where anyone throws a fit and gets their way. If he told me "no" and I was being unreasonable the situation would go like this:

He would tell me no. I would keep asking. He would keep saying no. If I was having a mood swing related to my disorder, I would whine. Then he would get mad. And stop speaking to me altogether. And then seeing him upset because I'm being a bitch would make me feel guilty and I would stop asking. After an hour I would realize I was being a spoiled oval office, and then apologize to him for my attitude and then the subject would be dropped and I wouldn't argue with him again when he says "No."

My fiancé and I have never argued about anything more than once.

quote:

Realistically I understand I'm not supposed to get whatever I want. But when your family has been getting you whatever you want since you were fourteen years old it changes the way you think. Before I turned 14 I had nothing. My mom wouldn't take care of me or pay attention to me. She used child support money to get her nails done. When I was shipped to live with my dad, I couldn't get along with my step mother. She never let me have clothes for school, I wore tshirts my sister (who was 10 years older than me and not in the middle of the divorce) had from her school days and jeans that didn't fit.

Then my grandmother and grandfather took me in. To me, my real mother and father. And suddenly I had all the food I wanted to feel full. I had the newest iPhone. I had all the nice clothes I'd dreamed about. My first car was way too nice for a 16 year old. We would have family fun days where we would go to the mall and get cinnamon buns and go shopping and I associated shopping with spending time with the people I loved. Suddenly I started realizing all these nice things I had dreamed about where only a question away from being mine. From 14 to 18 I lived getting whatever I wanted. Because I think they pitied me. Not having anything all those years. After 18 it turned into my grandparents sending me money to live on and my dad sending me pity money because he knows he never did anything for me.

quote:

I would go back and forth between living alone and living with a significant other but I always made sure I never saw their money. They paid all the bills and it worked for us. I had to manage my own money for the electric payments, my food, and hobby lobby.

quote:

Even though I can waste money like nobodies business, I've never been the type to not want to work. I love working and being a productive person in society. And thanks, I can't wait to start learning again!

Why are you working 20 hours a week with no paycheck?

Sometimes, with the program I'll be attending, animal hospitals will not employ you at first, you have to volunteer. Especially for the 360 hours you're required to have even before you're admitted to the program. All but one of the vet techs currently working there and getting paid are in the process of their 2 to 3 year vet tech education. They're overstaffed right now. I basically have to wait until a paying position opens up.

quote:

I am a licensed cosmetologist

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 8, 2017

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

lol she quit her 20/hr week cosmetology job due to "creative differences" :thinkingfaceemoji:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

pig slut lisa posted:

lol she quit her 20/hr week cosmetology job due to "creative differences" :thinkingfaceemoji:

And took an unpaid volunteer position in order to "break into the industry". I know a couple vet techs, none of them work for free.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Man, nothing like being completely set up for becoming a victim of a financially and emotionally abusive future spouse. Learned helplessness is a real bitch.

This kid seems capable of reading, I bet she could work out how to use YNAB or something and learn how to make a budget easily. I'm not going down the reddit rabbithole, did anyone suggest something like that to her?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

NancyPants posted:

Man, nothing like being completely set up for becoming a victim of a financially and emotionally abusive future spouse. Learned helplessness is a real bitch.

This kid seems capable of reading, I bet she could work out how to use YNAB or something and learn how to make a budget easily. I'm not going down the reddit rabbithole, did anyone suggest something like that to her?

Pretty much everyone says she should use a cash envelope system, let her boyfriend do it, or is trying to get her to explain how she is broke 4 days into the month from Hobby Lobby and food purchases.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Pretty much everyone says she should use a cash envelope system, let her boyfriend do it, or is trying to get her to explain how she is broke 4 days into the month from Hobby Lobby and food purchases.

Why is everyone so loving wedded to cash envelopes? It is 2017. Besides my coke dealer and the place I get pho, who even takes cash? I can't even pay my rent in cash.

Are all these people 65 years old? Did they grow up in a time when you were supposed to put on a tie and hand the manager your resume to get a job interview on the spot? Is this why they recommend having your not-even-married-to-you-yet partner manage all your finances without you even having a basic clue how to do it, should they die/leave you/rob you blind?

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
If someone has proven they can't be trusted with credit, a cash-only system is sometimes necessary. She could switch to YNAB or something after demonstrating some discipline.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
Jefferson county, Colorado seems off too.

In 2010, a $700 a month one bedroom apartment was findable. At the time, my place was $544 + utils. It was a 1970's shoebox in a mediocre neighborhood.

It would be $900 a month + utilities now. The complex is not improved. And that area hasn't really gentrified much -- it still feels like a Limp Bizkit music video come to life.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

epenthesis posted:

If someone has proven they can't be trusted with credit, a cash-only system is sometimes necessary. She could switch to YNAB or something after demonstrating some discipline.

You can participate in the modern world of electronic banking with a debit card, no credit necessary.

Just be sure to disable overdrafting so you get declined when you're out of funds, rather than piled on by fees.

The sheer inconvenience of cash envelopes seems like it'd lead to falling off the wagon sooner than any other factor. It's a system that requires discipline that is trying to fix a lack of discipline problem.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
For some people even debit cards are too abstract.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

NancyPants posted:

Why is everyone so loving wedded to cash envelopes? It is 2017. Besides my coke dealer and the place I get pho, who even takes cash? I can't even pay my rent in cash.

Are all these people 65 years old? Did they grow up in a time when you were supposed to put on a tie and hand the manager your resume to get a job interview on the spot? Is this why they recommend having your not-even-married-to-you-yet partner manage all your finances without you even having a basic clue how to do it, should they die/leave you/rob you blind?

Do you never go to bars or restaurants I guess, or stores?

Much easier to use cash when you're splitting a bar tab for a table of 12. Just count what's yours, throw it down and say "later suckers."

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Nail Rat posted:

Do you never go to bars or restaurants I guess, or stores?

Much easier to use cash when you're splitting a bar tab for a table of 12. Just count what's yours, throw it down and say "later suckers."

Every time people do this they all put in $3 for the tip on their $50 of the bill, and then whoever is last at the table gets to decide between covering it themselves, trying in vain to get people to not be assholes, or just stiffing the server. At least on individual card checks people can embarrass themselves instead of the entire group.

Edit: that being said please no one start a derail on tipping

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

legendof posted:

Every time people do this they all put in $3 for the tip on their $50 of the bill, and then whoever is last at the table gets to decide between covering it themselves, trying in vain to get people to not be assholes, or just stiffing the server. At least on individual card checks people can embarrass themselves instead of the entire group.

Edit: that being said please no one start a derail on tipping

I always tip well cash or credit so no derail there, but the flip side of this is when you have $15 out of a $400 tab and they split it evenly among 8 people "because it's easier." With a card it's harder to keep that from happening. BWM.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I tend to not go drinking a second time with people who think I should help subsidize their alcoholism.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Everyone I know uses Venmo, get with the times olds

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Not a Children posted:

Everyone I know uses Venmo, get with the times olds

Yeah, this. There is no perfect bill-splitting app yet, but Venmo is close. One person pays, then sends "bills" to everyone else through Venmo.

Just don't use it to receive money from anyone you don't know.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Should I tip the horse whisperer?

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
At what age is it less awkward to just grab the check when eating out with friends (taking turns) rather than work out how to split it. I think I've passed it.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

monster on a stick posted:

Should I tip the horse whisperer?

Is it a counter service horse whisperer or do they come to you?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

monster on a stick posted:

Troll or fiance sells weed on the side.

It screams, "supplemental income," but his family owns a profitable business so they're probably just helping him out.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Motronic posted:

It's not, you petty, creepy, jealous little goon. If you were really following closely you'd see that it wasn't even purchased at the same time as (the 2013 Land Cruiser) my recent posting here was about, and a 2004 Cayenne turbo is clearly NOT worth anywhere close to the numbers I've been discussing.

Why would I be jealous of someone that has to finance cars?

Stalking is reading 3 pages back into someone's post history?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

n8r posted:

Stalking is reading 3 pages back into someone's post history?

Yes.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yes.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Not to dogpile but yes

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

In addition why would I be jealous of someone that owns two of the worst Porsches ever made and a Toyota?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
yes, especially since you had no good reason to go all Mosby Boys

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Noctone posted:

yes, especially since you had no good reason to go all Mosby Boys

this and your inability to drop a subject nobody loving cares about

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

We're not allowed to troll people when they drop massive humblebrags about themselves ITT anymore? Who changed the rules?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

It'd be given a pass if it were funny but you're just coming off as petulant

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I also made fun of the guy but you're being loving weird about it please stop.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5y8hmp/marrying_someone_with_70k_in_debthelp/

Boyfriend is proposing! Oh also he has a bunch of debt and coincidentally I'm likely to make a lot of money in the future. He must really love me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

n8r posted:

We're not allowed to troll people when they drop massive humblebrags about themselves ITT anymore? Who changed the rules?

He only started humblebragging after you weakly attempted to talk poo poo

• Locked thread