Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maybe it'll be reverse Luke Cage where the latter half is great and the first half is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Who knows, apparently the first 6 episodes have little action and a lot of corporate scenes, maybe the 2nd half is where things get good and actiony. Maybe Disney should have paid for the best fight choreographers to make the action not poo poo too?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
It is really disheartening to hear, I was really looking forward to this show. I'll still watch, but not expecting a whole lot.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I get that the show is probably racist or casually racist or whatever, but martial arts are not strictly an Asian thing. So of the best martial artists and fighters are western/white people. Punching belongs to everyone and there aren't many people better at it than Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather.

I'm likely just being pedantic

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Finn Jones literally quit twitter after getting in a bunch of arguments about it so boy oh boy am I looking forward to Internet Discourse on this topic for the next ohhhhh ten years.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

omg chael crash posted:

I get that the show is probably racist or casually racist or whatever, but martial arts are not strictly an Asian thing. So of the best martial artists and fighters are western/white people. Punching belongs to everyone and there aren't many people better at it than Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather.

That said, Iron Fist isn't the story about an up and coming MMA fighter. Its a literal cookie cutter outdated "well-to-do white dude learns to be the best at something thanks to the help of strange foreigners." It's a pretty tired trope and honestly, not really one worth defending, especially with a C list character like Iron Fist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

omg chael crash posted:

It's not that the best martial artist is a white guy so much that he's the best at an explicitly Asian martial arts style. It'd be less an issue if he crashed in Appalachia and learned ancient West Virginian martial arts from hill billies.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

It's not that the best martial artist is a white guy so much that he's the best at an explicitly Asian martial arts style. It'd be less an issue if he crashed in Appalachia and learned ancient West Virginian martial arts from hill billies.

Wanna see this

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Being Asian doesn't make you better at Asian developed martial arts either.

The problem is that it's always the white guy who's the best at it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

Being Asian doesn't make you better at Asian developed martial arts either.

The problem is that it's always the white guy who's the best at it.

Yeah, the issue is a white guy appropriating Asian culture, not that it's a non-Asian guy.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
As with all things race, it's not the individual problems but the trend.

The only time you saw an Asian on the Marvel Netflix shows was when some ninja did three backflips and threw Kung Fu at Matt Murdock or someone else. It was literally my only gripe with DD1, and they never really fixed it.

Iron Fist was an opportunity to address this in some way, but instead, Asian characters on the shows are only brought on for their martial arts, and a white dude who doesn't seem to have been a great casting choice in general ended up getting the gig. On top of the martial arts people with the best writing and exposition being Matt Murdock and Stick.

I'm reminded of the people who made the point that the GitS adapters insists that the universe and setting are not Japanese, and that they're not appropriating culture, at the same time as they literally use robot "geishas" front and centre in all their promotional material next to Scarlett Johansson.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 8, 2017

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The premise is just way too sticky, really. White-guy IF = People bitching about the dumb as poo poo "white saviour" trope. Asian IF = People bitching about typecasting the one Asian protagonist in the MCU.

Also it kinda doesn't help that DC basically did this poo poo 5 years ago with Arrow. Rich white kid ends up stranded and learns from foreigners (the Chinese ex-soldier and the Aussie black ops guy), trains, and comes back to save the city. Were there even any comparisons between IF and Arrow in those reviews? I'm too lazy to read most of em.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Scyantific posted:

The premise is just way too sticky, really. White-guy IF = People bitching about the dumb as poo poo "white saviour" trope. Asian IF = People bitching about typecasting the one Asian protagonist in the MCU.

Also it kinda doesn't help that DC basically did this poo poo 5 years ago with Arrow. Rich white kid ends up stranded and learns from foreigners (the Chinese ex-soldier and the Aussie black ops guy), trains, and comes back to save the city. Were there even any comparisons between IF and Arrow in those reviews? I'm too lazy to read most of em.

This is the exact same plot of Batman Begins as well

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Dacap posted:

This is the exact same plot of Batman Begins as well

Now that you mention it, how did people handle that bit with Ra's al Ghul not being "of proper ethnicity?" (gently caress I cannot believe I'm asking this). Did they freak out or pass it off? Matt Nable looked pretty middle-eastern in the Arrow version, but let's not talk about that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ufarn posted:

As with all things race, it's not the individual problems but the trend.

The only time you saw an Asian on the Marvel Netflix shows was when some ninja did three backflips and threw Kung Fu at Matt Murdock or someone else. It was literally my only gripe with DD1, and they never really fixed it.

Iron Fist was an opportunity to address this in some way, but instead, Asian characters on the shows are only brought on for their martial arts, and a white dude who doesn't seem to have been a great casting choice in general ended up getting the gig. On top of the martial arts people with the best writing and exposition being Matt Murdock and Stick.

I'm reminded of the people who made the point that the GitS adapters insists that the universe and setting are not Japanese, and that they're not appropriating culture, at the same time as they literally use robot "geishas" front and centre in all their promotional material next to Scarlett Johansson.

Look if I'm just some floating consciousness in a robot shell, and one of the options is Scarlett Johansson...

Scyantific posted:

Not really, because that's been Green Arrow's origin for long enough now. Nobody even remembers his old one.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 8, 2017

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Scyantific posted:

With Arrow, he isn't really explicitly becoming a master of an ancient Asian artform. Though the League stuff sweeps in and then goes right ahead and does it anyway. Same for Batman.

Scyantific posted:

Now that you mention it, how did people handle that bit with Ra's al Ghul not being "of proper ethnicity?" (gently caress I cannot believe I'm asking this). Did they freak out or pass it off? Matt Nable looked pretty middle-eastern in the Arrow version, but let's not talk about that.

Ras has a habit of being portrayed as white anyway so I don't think anyone blinks to see a white person playing him. At least his daughter, Nissa, wasn't super white I guess.

As to your first point, there are other ethnic backgrounds besides white and Asian. The problem is that its always "Asians are martial arts masters, until a white person learns it and becomes the best" in these stories.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Honestly if they wanted to do it right it needed to be in production basically immediately after Daredevil season 1 to give it the time to do the fight production it really needed. You can get away with half-assing that poo poo with something like Luke Cage, because he doesn't really fight that much. He just crushes dudes effortlessly most of the time. Danny is all about the martial arts, so if the fights don't pop you are wasting everyone's time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, having boring fights in the show about kung fu is a way bigger problem than the racial issues, especially with a lead that seems to lack any kind of charisma.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

With Arrow, he isn't really explicitly becoming a master of an ancient Asian artform. Though the League stuff sweeps in and then goes right ahead and does it anyway. Same for Batman.

At least in Begins, Bruce doesn't become particularly accomplished at it. He learns a bit sure, but he's not the best and leaves before he gets to the good stuff.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

At least in Begins, Bruce doesn't become particularly accomplished at it. He learns a bit sure, but he's not the best and leaves before he gets to the good stuff.

Yeah, Begins at least made it so that Bruce was deeply flawed and imperfect, but the leader of the League was still technically a white dude. And in other mediums, Bruce is basically considered "the best" at a lot of things, including martial arts. Doesn't he know like 100 forms of fighting in the comics or some absurd number?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Comic Batman is a top 5 or so non-powered fighter in the world.

Everyone better than him is Asian though! That makes it better, right?!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

He also learns a fake fighting style

e: referring to krav maga specifically not just comic book made up martial arts

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 8, 2017

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
Batman isn't even the greatest fighter within the batfamily according to the current writer of Batman
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/833702769487917057?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I'd imagine that kind of hard ranking is something that is subject to change depending on who is working on him. I just thought the general wisdom was that "Batman is best", except for when he isn't for current story reasons.

Aphrodite posted:

Comic Batman is a top 5 or so non-powered fighter in the world.

Everyone better than him is Asian though! That makes it better, right?!

:smithicide:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lady Shiva and Cassandra have been established as better than Bruce for a while now. From there people have extrapolated based on who else has managed to beat either of them etc., etc. but I don't think that kind of logic really works.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think that the issue is even beyond the race stuff this show sounds really loving bad

I don't think I've seen a single positive review, even from the usual suspects who are all up on anything Marvel puts out

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Blockhouse posted:

I think that the issue is even beyond the race stuff this show sounds really loving bad

I don't think I've seen a single positive review, even from the usual suspects who are all up on anything Marvel puts out
Wonder if Marvel is going to pull a Bethesda now and stop giving early reviews to critics and instead youtube personalities that love all of their poo poo no matter what

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
To be fair to Batman Begins Ken Watanabe was cast as Ras.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
And Gotham cast Alexander Siddig

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Madkal posted:

To be fair to Batman Begins Ken Watanabe was cast as Ras.
...Is my ability to detect sarcasm still broken from this forum or do you really not remember that film?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

...Is my ability to detect sarcasm still broken from this forum or do you really not remember that film?

A surprising number of people literally do not get that the twist is that Neeson was always playing Ra's and Ducard was an alias. Mostly because "b-b-but Ducard is a guy from the comics toooo!"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I know the twist but I thought people were asking if there was outrage when Ras was first cast and was replying to that instead of the twist.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Now that I think about it, something like that would NOT have been made blatantly obvious. They probably didn't even mention who Neeson was playing when they cast him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

According to this, he was announced as Ra's when he was cast.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0062276/

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I didn't know the original title for Batman Begins was Batman: Intimidation.

Thank god someone at the studio got that changed.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Man, I was hoping against hope for Iron Fist to be an immigrant story. Both as a white guy growing up in Asia, and a guy coming to America for the first time. Sad stuff.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Aphrodite posted:

Not really, because that's been Green Arrow's origin for long enough now. Nobody even remembers his old one.

Also there's a long history of white people being great archers, both in reality (English longbowmen) and in fiction (Robin Hood, William Tell), so it couldn't be seen as cultural appropriation.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I didn't know the original title for Batman Begins was Batman: Intimidation.

Thank god someone at the studio got that changed.

I'm pretty sure Intimidation Game was actually the name of the leaked script like a year before the movie came out. The script ended up being almost entirely exactly the same as the finished product so everyone that had read the script knew about the twist going in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I didn't know (but suspected) that Neeesons was Ra's until a friend beat the video game before the movie was released.