Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Jim Flynn is still a better level designer than Tom Hall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

EDIT: Wrong thread.

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound
Come on. I need my fix of demons getting shot in the face.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Sorry, no demons in this update!

A Fistful of Doom by "Gali" and "Big A" (Part 83 Overall)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, that was the perfect ending.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Clint Doomwood is sweet as hell.

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound

Temin_Dump posted:

Sorry, no demons in this update!

:argh:

Anyway, I remembered a really nice video on Silas Warner and the original Castle Wolfenstein on Youtube that I saw probably more than a year ago. I was too lazy to post it when you went through Wolfenstein 3D, but I remembered it now for some reason. The only problem is that I can't find it again. Anyone know what video I'm talking about? It was maybe 10 or 15 minutes long and was a sort of short biographical documentary on him and on how Wolfenstein made.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

Detail from A Safer Moat by the Adolf Hitler School of Design

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Having all letters be swastikas is the cherry on top. :allears:

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Another day, another wad!

Obituary (Part 1/7) (Part 84 Overall)

Things got messed up when I messed with the video in Vegas, so what used to be fast-forwards in this video are now sudden jump cuts. Sorry about that. Didn't want to re-render this video again for however many hours.

Morholt posted:

Detail from A Safer Moat by the Adolf Hitler School of Design

Better than I ever could have imagined!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRMpNA86e8Q

Edit: The product placement credit is clearly influenced by Wayne's World, released in 1992!

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 20, 2017

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Temin_Dump posted:

Things got messed up when I messed with the video in Vegas, so what used to be fast-forwards in this video are now sudden jump cuts. Sorry about that. Didn't want to re-render this video again for however many hours.

Honestly I don't mind the jump cuts. It's usually pretty easy to put together what happened in the interim.

CanSteam
Dec 24, 2016
Was DeHackEd a thing in 1995? If not, how did they make the Imp fire Baron projectiles, unless they just replaced the normal doom imp projectile sprites?

Edit: And a bazooka man? I'm really curious to how they did the replacements.

Edit edit: I guess they did have it back then. Strange that it took til 2009(??) to replace it though.

CanSteam fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 20, 2017

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

This video was neat, I enjoy the WADs that sort of build on the Doom foundation with new stuff, like pseudo-sequels.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
I can't remember if this thread covered it, but Romero and Tom Hall did one of those hour-long Game Developer Conference "postmortem" talks about the creation and early development of Doom (and transition from Wolf3D). It's kind of tech-wonky and long, but pretty dang interesting imho. The talk was in 2011, but it was YouTubed back in May.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnkCujnYNSo

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Hey, what do you know, another update!
Obituary Part 2/7 (Part 85 Overall)

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Once you get to mappacks like momentomori and sythe, you'd want to save scum pretty hard unless you enjoy having to pistol start on super hard maps.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Once you get to mappacks like momentomori and sythe, you'd want to save scum pretty hard unless you enjoy having to pistol start on super hard maps.

I mean I don't enjoy it, but I sure as heck am used to it. I'm pretty freaking far ahead as far as recording gameplay goes...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, from what I've seen the usual method is to save at the start of each level. I usually allow myself a certain amount of saves for a map (the exact number depending on the dickishness of the wad in question) but I'm a Doom pansy.

Mind you, seeing pistol starts on Scythe past map 22 would be pretty interesting.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It ain't save scumming in Doom. :colbert:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Temin, will you be using source ports from 98 onwards and will it be ZDoom?

Those will autosave you and keep your earliest game state saved up (something I wished for ECWolf). Not sure if you can turn it off, unless you're looking on using old versions of source ports.

Also, when's Ultimate Doom and Final Doom?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Not for a little while, I would guess... Seriously, there are a LOT of Doom II .wads; there is a reason that the guys are only focusing on the Top 10. The Doom community thrived then and thrives still...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The appropriate source port to start with for early ports-required WADs would probably be BOOM. Even though ZDoom was around starting in 1998, it didn't get too prominent until the 2000s, and couldn't actually run a lot of port-required WADs properly due to incomplete support of the extensions BOOM made.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Boom is also good and acceptable.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Temin, will you be using source ports from 98 onwards and will it be ZDoom?

Those will autosave you and keep your earliest game state saved up (something I wished for ECWolf). Not sure if you can turn it off, unless you're looking on using old versions of source ports.

Also, when's Ultimate Doom and Final Doom?

Kind of. I'm gonna try and play things as vanilla as possible for the original top 100 wad list on Doomworld, so I'm gonna stick with the original Boom for whatever won't run on vanilla Doom, and zdoom for whatever doesn't run on Boom. I'm gonna try and squeeze some other older sourceports in there as needed, but those are kind of a pain to get working with newer operating systems.

Ultimate Doom is pretty much directly after this round of wads.
Final Doom is in 1996. It'll be one of the last Doom things we play before we get to Quake.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Are you going to play all the way through Quake II? I remember Proteus and Suspicious's LP of that. It was the pioneer for same-looking FPS games. Reddish-brown as far as the eye can see.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

get that OUT of my face posted:

Are you going to play all the way through Quake II? I remember Proteus and Suspicious's LP of that. It was the pioneer for same-looking FPS games. Reddish-brown as far as the eye can see.

Not just all of Quake II, but all of its horrible expansions and the n64 version!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

How about the Saturn version of Quake 1? It has exclusive bonus levels*!

*because the Saturn would melt down trying to render Ziggurat Vertigo

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Temin_Dump posted:

Not just all of Quake II, but all of its horrible expansions and the n64 version!
Can't have your pudding if you don't eat your meat. Your three-day old rotten meat, in this case. Hopefully you get to show off the N64 version of Daikatana as well.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Temin_Dump posted:

Ah the N64 version, I have fond memories of always going through the video game section at Blockbuster and seeing both Quake 1 and 2. I never rented either because I had both on the PC so why waste my money on a game I already had? I never did play the expansions for either Quakes when I was a kid, and for whatever reason I didn't have much enthusiasm for playing them when I bought them all on steam about 7 years ago

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I'm catching up after not watching for a while, and Temin, I would just like to say that it angers my doom sensibilities when you pick up a green armor when the last armor you picked up was blue and you're only at 50% or something!

Aaargh, you're taking needless extra damage!! :argh:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm sure we will still see that happen when we get around to Quake though :v:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Temin_Dump posted:

Will you do multiplayer? Vanilla Q2 deathmatch has a special place in my heart and I'd love to get in on it. Haven't played in many years but I'm sure I have the disc around here somewhere.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Okay someone in the thread said Daikatana. If suspicious is not around I'll provide the daikatana services for co-op.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Hey, guess who's not dead!
Obituary Part 3/7 (Part 86 Overall).
Sorry for the delay, just got done with midterms!

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
What are those tech soldiers based on? Haven't seen those sprites before.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Uncle Kitchener posted:

What are those tech soldiers based on? Haven't seen those sprites before.
The Wolfenstein soldiers from the secret stages in Doom 2.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Welcome back. :allears:

get that OUT of my face posted:

The Wolfenstein soldiers from the secret stages in Doom 2.

I think that's what they replace? As for what they are... they give me a weird blake stone vibe? :raise: It seems to be unique, like the rocket zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Recently posted in the depths of YOSPOS, here is IDKFA- "a complete modern and professional remake of the music of Doom" by some Doom enthusiast named Andrew Hulshult who apparently did the music for Brutal Doom 64.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGK1dr-Ql0w

It's a pretty decent set of cover tracks with a somewhat fuller instrumentation, although pretty guitar-rock heavy. It may be useful for any fast-forward edits Temin's got left, but at the very least it seems worth a listen to me.

The description has a link to a .zip file with the broken out .mp3 and .flac formats (as well as a Doom 1/Brutal Doom .wad for whatever that's still worth to the thread).