Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

fishmech posted:

It's unfortunate that so many laptops of all sorts of sizes still do the x768 poo poo. Maybe someone can just go burn down the factory that makes that specific resolution cheap so we can move on.

Yeah! They look like a blurry mess and even regular consumers are used to high dpi displays on their phones now. My only guess is there are a ton of baby boomers that like those low resolutions on big displays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
To continue this de-rail,

I wish my resolution wasn't so high on my laptop sometimes. It's 1440p, on a 12.5 inch sized screen. On this gnome desktop it's fine because they have scaling for most programs, but as soon as something is unoptimized my eyes strain so much. :pwn:

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Toalpaz posted:

To continue this de-rail,

I wish my resolution wasn't so high on my laptop sometimes. It's 1440p, on a 12.5 inch sized screen. On this gnome desktop it's fine because they have scaling for most programs, but as soon as something is unoptimized my eyes strain so much. :pwn:

I hear QT5 works fine now though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
DAE X.org is old as poo poo!?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Those old as balls Dell monitors were the best game in town for years and years back in the 2005-2008 timeframe. Especially for playing games at a solid 60 fps on graphics cards of that era.

Still using my Dell 2001FP. Not as my primary screen or anything, but it's solid.

Myself, looking at a Ryzen once the board/BIOS situation smooths out a little. Even if the weird game-specific issues don't improve, I've got an Ivy Bridge i5 and my main issue now is lack of cores rather than slow cores.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Yea, don't knock 1680x1050 or even 1600x900, I mean they're bottom tier but perfectly acceptable for 19-22" budget monitors and work really well for older GPUs. Of course, going back to them from 1200p or 1440p hurts my eyes a bit.

It's also not as bad as the absolute plethora of 720p TV's still being hocked today and OHGODMYEYES.

jpl9330
Oct 3, 2013
I used a 1280*1024 as a secondary up until a couple years ago. Hell, I think that monitor is still being used by my friend who cobbled together his system out of my old Athlon 2 and 7950.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Last I checked, it's 2017.

Yes, I am typing out this post on this dead gay forum on this monitor in 2017. Kill me.

oh man, is that like your work monitor and your boss won't buy a new one until it stops working? you do realize you are going to have to resort to sabotage right?

the factory that built those things was on top of an old indian graveyard or something. they will not die. no natural cause can kill them.

jpl9330 posted:

I used a 1280*1024 as a secondary up until a couple years ago.
I still do. Starting to think about replacing it, but I kinda like the non-widescreen for secondary. I wish there were modern 1600x1200 LCDs other than stuff being sold for medical equipment prices.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 8, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Still have a couple 1280x800 Dell VGA monitors in our office from the pentium 4 days.

They won't die. They won't be replaced until they die.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I got a Gateway 21" back in 2006 that was 1680X1050 which was pretty early in the widescreen days and man that was hard to push with a ATI 9800PRO (which prompted the upgrade to the still AGP at the time, 7800GS).

The old thing finally conked out just over a year ago due to the backlight bulbs probably needing to be replaced/rebuilt (already checked the caps. Nope).

The thing was great because it had pretty much every input under the sun Except HDMI at the time and had some pretty decent HD processing for input signals. The best was it had PiP which was great to use as a work monitor when I would want to use a PC and work on another, you could swap between them with 1 button. Made those looong patch installs a bit easier to deal with without having to just have another separate monitor for that alone.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Klyith posted:

oh man, is that like your work monitor and your boss won't buy a new one until it stops working? you do realize you are going to have to resort to sabotage right?

the factory that built those things was on top of an old indian graveyard or something. they will not die. no natural cause can kill them.

I still do. Starting to think about replacing it, but I kinda like the non-widescreen for secondary. I wish there were modern 1600x1200 LCDs other than stuff being sold for medical equipment prices.

As I am both the CAD guy as well as IT, I am basically waiting on one or more of several things to happen:

1) Asrock comes out with that board of theirs that supports MXM.
2) I don't wind up selling this M2000M MXM board I have before then.
3) The IOMMU groups for Ryzen get unfucked and I build a whole new workstation with proper desktop hardware and run Solidworks in a Windows VM
4) I dumpster-dive or cheaply ebay a late-model HP ZBook with a dead graphics card and pop mine into it.

Once I get one or more of these to fall into place, THEN I'll start looking at new monitors. Sabotage if necessary.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 8, 2017

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Any good places to watch for news as the dust settles? Updated benchmarks in particular. I've still got my eye on a 6-core chip if the post-release software updates bring an increase in game/VR performance.

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014
My work is full of those Dell 1680x1050 monitors. Real estate is critical in my job, the computers are all from 2008 and it sucks. I could really use 3 1080's or two 1440's but its next to impossible to convince my boss to spend the money.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

HamHawkes posted:

My work is full of those Dell 1680x1050 monitors. Real estate is critical in my job, the computers are all from 2008 and it sucks. I could really use 3 1080's or two 1440's but its next to impossible to convince my boss to spend the money.

Gonna suggest something unpopular here: Just buy your own. Now I really do think the company should put good hardware in front of productive people but if they're not get it yourself. Make sure to put BIG impossible to remove stickies on them PROPERTY OF HamHawkes. NOT PROPERTY OF #job. DO NOT REMOVE, DO NOT INVENTORY.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

incoherent posted:

Gonna suggest something unpopular here: Just buy your own. Now I really do think the company should put good hardware in front of productive people but if they're not get it yourself. Make sure to put BIG impossible to remove stickies on them PROPERTY OF HamHawkes. NOT PROPERTY OF #job. DO NOT REMOVE, DO NOT INVENTORY.

Then when it's stolen anyways, tell your boss you're calling the cops to report a theft, and watch like magic it reappear the next day.

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014

incoherent posted:

I've thought about that. But even the PC's are getting old 6GB of RAM, no SSD. A few people have been getting some high end laptops but those guys have way more seniority than me.

SSD Loads our program in 10 seconds instead of about a minute. And processing a large job takes half the time with an SSD.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HamHawkes posted:

I've thought about that. But even the PC's are getting old 6GB of RAM, no SSD. A few people have been getting some high end laptops but those guys have way more seniority than me.

SSD Loads our program in 10 seconds instead of about a minute. And processing a large job takes half the time with an SSD.

More time to browse the forums at work for you. What's the problem?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

More time to browse the forums at work for you. What's the problem?

It's annoying and a pain in the rear end, probably.

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It's annoying and a pain in the rear end, probably.

I think some of the apps run through Citrix, maybe the web browsers don't but also our internet is 2 T1 lines... so there's that.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

buglord posted:

content: a team-red buddy of mine said that historically, building a machine with a ATI GPU and AMD CPU meant better game performance, compared to mixing and matching between intel and NVIDIA? I can't seem to find any consensus on this nowadays because I feel like i've heard that line before long ago, but it doesnt make a lick of sense today, considering there must be countless variables. Did games ever recognize this and support it?

Totally depends on the timeframe. Intel was pretty competitive back in the P3 era (Coppermine was the chip to beat), then they poo poo the bed with the P4 for a while. Ever since Core2Duo they've held a pretty commanding lead in gaming performance.

AMD had a string of real winners as they fully tapped out the Athlon design, went 64-bit, then moved into multi-core. But recently most of their architectures have kinda whiffed on the first go-around. Phenom had a cache bug that gutted performance. Phenom II was very solid but it's not like it decisively beat Intel or anything. Then came bulldozer... which actually had lower IPC than Phenom II. Piledriver fixed the worst of the mistakes but it certainly never was more than "acceptable".

The GPU market has really gone back and forth every couple generations ever since there was a GPU market. Both ATI/AMD and NVIDIA have had their hits and misses. AMD had a real solid run recently with first the TeraScale architecture (4000/5000/6000 series) and then GCN. But recently they just haven't had the cash to invest on R&D like NVIDIA has and they've fallen a long way behind. They didn't really have a response for Maxwell, and they haven't even tried to compete in the high-end market with their new architecture.

You can't really speak in specifics without him defining more precisely what time range he's talking about. There have been some stinkers in everyone's lineups at one point or another.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 9, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Word from The German Farmer sez: Don't bother delidding. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz_-Q5QzRqg

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

HamHawkes posted:

That's nuts, a 1080p monitor is like $100

Almost everyone at my work has 2

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What would the theoretical die size be for a 4c Ryzen?
I am wondering if they would solder those.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

What would the theoretical die size be for a 4c Ryzen?
I am wondering if they would solder those.

I don't think we're going to see any just 4c Ryzen CPU's anytime soon. The 4c/8t chips coming out are binned 8c parts and the APU's will have an iGPU that will increase die size.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Word from The German Farmer sez: Don't bother delidding. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz_-Q5QzRqg

I see he finally managed to get one apart without destroying it.

No shocker, it's a soldered die.

Perplx posted:

That's nuts, a 1080p monitor is like $100

Almost everyone at my work has 2

It's a surprisingly common problem in many businesses. I have a pair of 23" 1050p monitors, not exactly huge as they go these days. I'd much rather have 27" 1440p or triple, either way. I also don't have a laptop - and a lot of our devs have laptops and not desktops. One guy has screens that lose connection for a second or two every 5 minutes (he's been on for a couple months, I would definitely have murdered the IT staff by that point)

I also can't get my boss to shell out for proper software. IntelliJ is vastly superior to the open-source products out there (ask literally anyone who uses it) and it would literally be a single-digit number of hours that it saves me over a year to pay off. Heck, I can't get him to drop $10 for a Bamboo license, and that's literally a fraction of an hour of my time. I spend at least a day or two extra worth of time configuring Jenkins every year instead.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 9, 2017

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Bought a new-in-opened-box Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 on eBay this week to prop up this currently stock FX-8350 another couple years after this underwhelming Ryzen showing

Roast me

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Gray Matter posted:

Bought a new-in-opened-box Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 on eBay this week to prop up this currently stock FX-8350 another couple years after this underwhelming Ryzen showing

Roast me

ryzen isn't a pure gaming cpu its also there for productivity and vms and stuff. But hey if that will get you by till zen+ or whatever intel can improve on cool beans.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Gray Matter posted:

Roast me

I sold a Sabertooth am3+ board the day bulldozer launched :v:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Gray Matter posted:

Roast me

I don't think Ryzen has been underwhelming. It's a pretty okay CPU for an okay price. It plays games okay, and multi-tasks pretty well. Hopefully in a month the chip set will be sorted out and games will be slightly better.

But it anyways, Ryzen games better than an FX chip as is at stock no? I'm looking online and the FX chip seems to be about half the cost of a R7 1700, or a 7700k. Why not just eat a couple hundred and upgrade from... that... I know it's too late now but.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Toalpaz posted:

I don't think Ryzen has been underwhelming. It's a pretty okay CPU for an okay price. It plays games okay, and multi-tasks pretty well. Hopefully in a month the chip set will be sorted out and games will be slightly better.

But it anyways, Ryzen games better than an FX chip as is at stock no? I'm looking online and the FX chip seems to be about half the cost of a R7 1700, or a 7700k. Why not just eat a couple hundred and upgrade from... that... I know it's too late now but.
The 1600X is the one I was considering, and not only was it not released at Ryzen launch, the 1800X single-core performance was far enough below expectations that I lost faith in the lesser chips. I'm sure Ryzen does game better than Piledriver, but not better enough for me to justify $500+ for a total platfrom change also requiring DDR4 at its current inflated prices. Just gonna try to squeeze 4.5 ghz out this CPU while I wait n see what Coffee Lake / Zen+ brings

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Gray Matter posted:

the 1800X single-core performance was far enough below expectations that I lost faith in the lesser chips

What performance were you expecting then?! AMD's own numbers for the longest time (ie. 40% better IPC than Excavator) and even those around launch (ie. 52% better than Excavator "beat our own goal!" etc.) were going to put it behind Skylake much less Kabylake. The cool thing about that though is that its still going to perform well enough for most things you won't see a difference in practical real world use.

It was obvious from the get go they were going to be offering bang for the buck instead of going for the performance crown.

If Zen+ really does achieve a consistent 15% IPC improvement over Zen then yeah they'll have a good shot at taking the performance crown back from Intel for the first time in a real long time but I doubt you're going to like the price they'll sell them for because it probably won't be cheap.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Yeah, memory price seems to be the real bottleneck right now, but even a decent switch over will cost ~350$ (R5 1300, B350, 16GB DDR4). Ryzen will still stomp the poo poo out of the FX though, like substantially better min/max/avg and way, way better frametimes, ands there seems to be a growing preponderance of evidence it gets better frametimes than equivalent priced Intel SKUs.

If you're bottlenecked way more on the GPU then whatever (1440p+, Fury or better performance), and if single core IPC is that important might I suggest an i7-6800K/5820K? They're about Intel's only competitive price/perf CPUs right now compared to Ryzen, and I don't expect you'd want to regress in multi-threaded capability to a G4560.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Gray Matter posted:

The 1600X is the one I was considering, and not only was it not released at Ryzen launch, the 1800X single-core performance was far enough below expectations that I lost faith in the lesser chips. I'm sure Ryzen does game better than Piledriver, but not better enough for me to justify $500+ for a total platfrom change also requiring DDR4 at its current inflated prices. Just gonna try to squeeze 4.5 ghz out this CPU while I wait n see what Coffee Lake / Zen+ brings

lmao if you thought the immediately-preceding-release hype was real(istic)

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

lmao if you thought the immediately-preceding-release hype was real(istic)
I was waiting with cautious optimism :) I'm not super bummed, I'm just not impressed enough with AMD (or Intel for that matter) for a ground-up rebuild this year.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Gray Matter posted:

Roast me
You are very stupid.

Whether the best evidence is that you apparently expected good single thread out of ryzen, or that you are apparently surprised 1600X didn't launch with the others, or because you just bought a new motherboard for a bulldozer chip, rest assured that you will continue to fail at life going forward.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Gray Matter posted:

Roast me

You bought loving 990FX in 2017. What the gently caress, man.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Well, if you want to service some Thuban or Deneb chips, it's you're best choice. I wonder how much Construction core stock they have left, and no real way to get rid of it because it can't even be ported forward.

I still want some ridiculous 16-32 cat core solution for AM4 because I want a superior, cheaper Avoton for home.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

HamHawkes posted:

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's a surprisingly common problem in many businesses. I have a pair of 23" 1050p monitors, not exactly huge as they go these days. I'd much rather have 27" 1440p or triple, either way. I also don't have a laptop - and a lot of our devs have laptops and not desktops. One guy has screens that lose connection for a second or two every 5 minutes (he's been on for a couple months, I would definitely have murdered the IT staff by that point)

I also can't get my boss to shell out for proper software. IntelliJ is vastly superior to the open-source products out there (ask literally anyone who uses it) and it would literally be a single-digit number of hours that it saves me over a year to pay off. Heck, I can't get him to drop $10 for a Bamboo license, and that's literally a fraction of an hour of my time. I spend at least a day or two extra worth of time configuring Jenkins every year instead.

Have you guys considered getting a job at a company that values its workers' productivity and job satisfaction?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Toalpaz posted:

But it anyways, Ryzen games better than an FX chip as is at stock no?

Yes, very much so. Their whole plan for Ryzen was massively increasing single-thread performance over their older stuff, and they really did achieve that. The one thing we can say for certain is that nobody should be looking at the older AMD CPUs. Here's a quick (and recent) sample of what you can expect with an FX-8370 vs the current CPUs, in terms of smoothness in frame times. Bear in mind there are still optimisations which will no doubt occur in games on Ryzen. (Running on Windows 7 gives better results, for example, disabling HT also gives better results, blah blah blah...)

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You bought loving 990FX in 2017. What the gently caress, man.

Maybe he just wants a slow, hot running PC, in which case, he's done the right thing.
To reach the conclusion that Ryzen is underwhelming vs Bulldozer/Excavator and so on is to have misinterpreted all the available data.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Wendell has a Taichi, and asks "will it something something sports analogy?":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjGWqTFultI

• Locked thread