Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Becauase Nintendo still has a large bank of money stashed from their Wii success. What you're talking about is the end result of them going exponentially deeper in debt, far beyond what the Wii U could muster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Kashuno posted:

I sincerely miss Iwata's personality, but Kimishima is a business man like Yamauchi was, and I think that will be far more beneficial to Nintendo in the long run.

That is a good point when comparing what happened in that link. I forget that Iwata is gone sometimes :(

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Please stop arguing with the Nintendo accelerationist

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Utnayan posted:

C.) Wish Nintendo would pull their heads out of their rear end and either make a console that matches today's value consumer standards when compared to their competition, even if it is underpowered, or go 3rd party and wrap up the hardware business altogether.

lol youve got terminal brain aids

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Kirios posted:

Becauase Nintendo still has a large bank of money stashed from their Wii success. What you're talking about is the end result of them going exponentially deeper in debt, far beyond what the Wii U could muster.

With over $10 billion in the reserve, I am not sure how transitioning to a software only company would bring them further into debt. Just look at Mario Kart 8 for example. It sold 8 million units on the Wii U which had a base of 14 million to sell into. Imagine how many units that would have sold with an XBox One and PS4 install base.

I would guess upwards of 20 million units cross platform on the low end.

This is, in economist terms, called the Opportunity Cost. Something long forgotten in this industry unfortunately, because there is inherent risk.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 8, 2017

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
My friend gave me a bunch of his Wii U games because he's dumping his system. Free Splatoon, Captain Toad, Mario Party, and Wind Waker are waiting for me after I wrap up BotW.

Edit: :slick:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Utnayan posted:

That is a good point when comparing what happened in that link. I forget that Iwata is gone sometimes :(

Yeah and I wouldn't be entirely surprised to find out that Nintendo approached 3rd parties late in the development cycle. There was an article put out today about how Nintendo is treating Indies "like royalty" which is not really something I'd expect under Iwata, and their mobile outings, including a gacha game (something Iwata had been against) shows a change of perspective from Nintendo. I think Nintendo is developing a new relationship with third parties, and I hope we'll see more of that come before the holiday season.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I like my Switch and I'm glad I bought it. I look forward to upcoming games when I eventually finish Breath of the Wild. :downs:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

deadly_pudding posted:

Keep in mind, our perspective as "hardcore gamers" is kind of... warped? Sonic has games coming out pretty much annually and a currently-airing TV series. It's a merchandising powerhouse. It's practically the definition of a successful franchise.

Those games being terrible has little impact on the process.

Just imagine if Sonic games in the last 15 years had been Mario-good.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Hey guys remember the Ouya lol

Switch owns. It reminds me of my vita which also owned.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Didn't buy much of anything in 1998. I had just moved out of my parents house and was living on $1,000 per month.

Zelda games before BotW have never appealed to me but well crafted open world games do, and I liked what I saw from BotW. If it was getting 8 out of 10s instead of 10s I probably wouldn't have bothered. But I have the means, and I can return the Switch before April, so why not give it a shot? I gave Horizon a shot recently too despite doubts and now consider it one of my fav games ever. Same with Witcher 3 - didn't like Witcher 2 but Witcher 3 is amazing. Gotta always give new stuff a chance.

I was going to recommend returning the Switch and upgrade to a PS Pro and 4k HDR for Horizon but you at least beat me to the Horizon part.

I loved Zelda (NES) Adventures of Link, And A Link to the Past. For some reason, I could never get into OOT, Skyward Sword, MM, or Twilight Princess. For another weird reason, I loved Wind Waker. I am finishing up Horizon by the end of the week so I can start in on BOTW on my Wii U this weekend.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

THE loving MOON posted:

Sonic Mania at least looks like a sure bet. Sonic 2017 is a coinflip at best.
It's going to be based on Generations, the last Sonic Team game that you can call good, and they decided to delay the game a year rather than rush it out in time for the 25th anniversary (which is how we ended up with Sonic 2006).

So in theory it's more than likely to be good. But also be cautious about new Sonic games.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yeah why isn't Nintendo making 4k 120fps console/games makes you think.

Oh yeah because they've realized that only turbo nerds care about that poo poo. It's you. You are the rear end in a top hat turbo nerd.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
anybody that uses the words "Nintendo" and "3rd party" at this point in time in the same sentence should be banned on site, this post excluded.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Boy now I remember why I don't keep track of console threads. I like the switch and I'd like even more I could safely take it with me places. Any reason why this case would be bad? https://www.amazon.com/Industries-N...rds=Switch+case

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Utnayan posted:

No. Did the failure of the Wii U stop the quality of the 1st party titles released for it?

how do u stop a quality anyway

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Consummate Professional posted:

Boy now I remember why I don't keep track of console threads. I like the switch and I'd like even more I could safely take it with me places. Any reason why this case would be bad? https://www.amazon.com/Industries-N...rds=Switch+case

I picked this one up and I like it so far

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Louisgod posted:

anybody that uses the words "Nintendo" and "3rd party" at this point in time in the same sentence should be banned on site, this post excluded.

The only parties itt should be rooftop parties

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Seriously though the only thing that could save Nintendo is them becoming exactly Ubisoft

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I bought this case and have had zero complaints:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6RMR30/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comes withe a little strip inside where you can put extra Switch games for when there's more than one available. Take it back, only complaint I have is that they grey is a bit boring but who loving cares what the outside looks like.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I got this case but haven't used it yet.

It holds games inside it also.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Louisgod posted:

I bought this case and have had zero complaints:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6RMR30/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comes withe a little strip inside where you can put extra Switch games for when there's more than one available. Take it back, only complaint I have is that they grey is a bit boring but who loving cares what the outside looks like.

Awesome I like that one a little better. I'm ok with boring so I'm not totally advertising what it is

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Consummate Professional posted:

I bought it. It comes with two cases for carts, and has a little pouch that lays on top of the Switch. The pouch is very soft and has a fairly thick backing (I seriously thought some cardboard or packing material was stuffed in) so you don't have to worry about stuff inside creating angles to poke your screen. The pouch is a bit limited in size, however: you can fit in two wristraps and a charging cable. I doubt you could manage two more joycons and the wall adapter is not gonna happen.

The outside of the case is stiff and seems sturdy enough. It's a nice case even if it isn't the all-encompassing travel package. It strikes a balance "just bringing the switch" and "the Switch and everything but the dock."

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
OK. Please stop this endless arguing past each other about the demise of Nintendo and the failure of the switch. It has only been 1 week.

This is a topic to return to maybe in several months, but right now it is pointless and alienating.

You can like the Switch and admit it has failings. You can dislike the switch but admit it has some good things.

The extreme negativity/extreme positivity bickering is pointless and just makes people not want to contribute. Let's be better.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Kashuno posted:

gacha game (something Iwata had been against)

iwata was right

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Beastie posted:

Yeah why isn't Nintendo making 4k 120fps console/games makes you think.

Oh yeah because they've realized that only turbo nerds care about that poo poo. It's you. You are the rear end in a top hat turbo nerd.

why do you keep posting stuff like this

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

VideoGames posted:

OK. Please stop this endless arguing past each other about the demise of Nintendo and the failure of the switch. It has only been 1 week.

This is a topic to return to maybe in several months, but right now it is pointless and alienating.

You can like the Switch and admit it has failings. You can dislike the switch but admit it has some good things.

The extreme negativity/extreme positivity bickering is pointless and just makes people not want to contribute. Let's be better.
No

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Louisgod posted:

I'll literally only get a switch when Monster Hunter is out.

This is the perfect monster hunter console.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I think that Nintendo has chosen a different route to make themselves stand out and capture part of the market that isn't obsessed with the latest and greatest in hardware and visuals.

That portion of the population is larger and worth more money.

I like my Switch. It's not perfect. But it did allow me to sit at my desk during my lunch break and play Zelda for an hour. I was never a Nintendo fan-boy but after buying a 3ds I was able to see all the charm they squeeze into their systems and first party games.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

nerdz posted:

I'll literally only get a switch when Monster Hunter is out.

This is the perfect monster hunter console.

Yup. I skipped the last 3DS one to give myself some time off from the franchise to dive into this one fresh. I loved play 3U on my Wii U, and 4 was great on the 3DS but I did miss playing it on the big screen. Hopefully Capcom is up to the task of actually making things look pretty, though to be fair I would still play it if it looked like FF7 and had a polished MH experience.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Games makes me think I'm weird for eating lunch at lunch

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

TheScott2K posted:

:whoptc:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

With the Switch I can do both. And my buddy got up from his desk and we played a round of Fast RMX.

Switch is good.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

TheScott2K posted:

I'm sure people playing Switch at lunch also eat lunch. If you have an hour-long lunch break then you have plenty of time to do things other than eating.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I could have an hour lunch but it would mean being at work 30 minutes longer

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

i am also normal and care about normal people things

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
All I can think about lately is "why am I not playing Zelda right this second"

It's a good feeling to have

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Sales will start to drop mid april and spike again for MK8, especially if a bundle. They will Spike again around Splatoon2, but definitely not as high as launch of course, console sales never do unless a price drop occurs with a major game bundle. We'll have to see what comes out in the fall besides Skyrim as I expect another moderately big game or two may. Then ya, Mario + holiday season will be a major jump starting black friday.

Why do you care so much about the vicissitudes of game sales?

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

i often wonder, when will the nintendo switch be able to play the vast library of old nintendo classics?

is this normal?

do normal people want to play old mario games at home and on the go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

VG is right. Let's all talk about something we can agree on.

Nintendo is dumb for getting rid of miiverse.

• Locked thread