Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, Fates is generally good at making units not absurdly broken. Even CQ's best units aren't overwhelmingly super powerful, although there are some that are very good.

Ryoma is the one sole exception. He's incredibly, incredibly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Azama and Corrin

We must strip Corrin of his noble status as punishment for his stupidity.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I'll go with the safe choices Azama and Mozu.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

I'll go with the safe choices Azama and Mozu.

This.

It's me, I am the boring FE player.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I was taking suggestions, not actually taking votes. These are all going in the next poll though.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Tae posted:

Silver Saxe-B rank, 16 mt, 70 hit, reduces STR/SKL by 2 every use
I know this an error but please don't fix it I can't help but see her wielding a Silver saxophone now

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Small update MyCastle

More upgrade options open up now. Lottery increases your item luck, Peach gives more peaches. Mess Hall lets you cook with two ingredients but still only randomly half the army gets the boost.

The two biggest changes are the armory and shop. Upgrading the Rod Shop will refill the rare items like Rescue Staff and seals. Upgrading the Dawn Armory will give a huge increase in weapon selection, which is why I'm doing that.

Here's a list of new stuff:

Katanas

Silver Katana

You know about these. Powerful, but constant self-debuff makes them below average.

Kodachi
Wakizashi-B rank, 10 mt, 75 hit, avoid -10, range 2, reduce doubling -5

Waizashi is basically a bow for sword users, except it severely reduces your ability to attack twice. It's okay in very small circumstances when you need that extra reach.

Dual Katana-C Rank, 8 mt, 75 hit, 1 range, Inverts and doubles weapon advantage.

These are the Inverse weapons of Hoshido, which are powerful tools for dedicated weapon users to kill their weakness. Ninjas can now have advantage against bow users if you didn't love/hate them enough.

Practice Kanata

A nice coincidence for a second one after getting one from Selena. With the current lack of sword users, I can forge up a +1 version so a lucky sword user can hit at 8 mt with +5 speed.

Spirit Katana-C rank, 5 mt, 80 hit, DEF/RES -4, recovers some HP every turn, effective against monsters

Urgh, not a good weapon. There will never be a point where you face so many Faceless that this is worth it to buy. Also why the huge stat penalty???

Naginatas

Silver Naginata
Swordcatcher-D rank, 7 mt, 65 hit, -10 avoid, super effective against swords, bad against other weapons

Swordcatcher is a type of weird weapon class which are "I will DOMINATE this advantage, screw everything else." Not worth it, especially for that price.

Dual Naginata-c rank, 8 mt, 65 hit
Guard Naginata

ANOTHER Guard Naginata? Hell yes. And discounted, how lucky.

Bolt Naginata-C rank, 11 mt, 70 hit, avoid -20, 1-2 range, can't trigger crits or abilities

Bolt is a magic weapon, so if you have any lancers that have a decent magic stat, this weapon will destroy enemies good.

Clubs

Silver Club
Battering Club-B rank, 12 mt, 60 hit, 2 range, same as Wakizashi
Pike-Ruin Club-D rank, 10 mt, 60 hit, -10 avoid, kills spears
Dual Club-C rank, 9 mt, 60 hit, +10 crit, same as other Duals
Great Club-C rank, 6 mt, 45 hit, +55 crit, -5 avoid, deals extra damage on crits

Great Club is a weird killer weapon variant. It has terrible accuracy, but extremely high crit and deals x4 damage on those crits.

Shurikens

Silver Shuriken
Dual Shuriken-C rank, 6 mt, 70 hit, same as Duals
Sting Shuriken
Barb Shuriken-C rank, 4 mt, 80 hit, 25 crit, -10 avoid, deals extra on crits, debuff -4 LCK/DEF/RES

Barb is an interesting weapon. It still heavily debuffs people with the potential to net a ninja a kill every now and then. So either they get the normal whammy of Poison Strike+Debuffs, or take close to max damage.

Flame Shuriken-C rank, 9 mt, 75 hit, -20 avoid, can't make crits or trigger abilities, debuffs -4 MAG/DEF/RES

This is basically Felicia's weapon. Her sky-high magic makes her go from nice support unit to a terrifying mage.

Bows-C rank, 11 mt, 55 hit, same as other Duals
Illusory Yumi-C rank, 8 mt, 65 hit, -10 avoid, +10 RES
Surefire Yumi-B rank, 10 mt, 120 hit, -30 avoid, -4 DEF, -2 RES

I don't know who Surefire bow is for. Archers are already one of the most accurate classes in the game, and the penalties are huge. The only possible use I could see for it is bowbreakers which are rare, and at that price, hell no.

Scrolls

Rabbit Spirit-B rank, 11 mt, 75 hit, +1 RES, self-debuff MAG/SKILL -2

Obviously the silver weapon, though there's +1 RES I guess. Really useless weapon because of the upcoming scrolls.

Calamity Gate-C rank, 7 mt, +1 SPD/DEF, same as other Duals

Very good weapon that also gives a nice stat buff.

Horse Spirit-D rank, 4 mt, 70 hit, +3 SKL/SPD/DEF/RES

Wow, wow, wow. This single weapon makes scroll users completely amazing. It bumps Orochi up from dreadfully slow to on par or above some of the party members still on the battle roster.

Tae fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 9, 2017

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I'm glad to see that the Bolt Naginata has proper magic weapon range, unlike the Shockstick in Awakening. That being the only one of the magic/lightning weapons with no extra range really bothered me.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Getting a magic weapon for Felicia was a godsend for my first run in this game. It cannot be understated how big of a turn around it is for her. To have a unit go from plink damage that applies debuffs to one round almost anything on the map is staggering.

The Great Club looks interesting, but you'd need a unit with a staggeringly high skill stat to use it effectively. I'm not sure any Birthright ax users fit that bill.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tae posted:

Horse Spirit-D rank, 4 mt, 70 hit, +3 SKL/SPD/DEF/RES

Wow, wow, wow. This single weapon makes scroll users completely amazing. It bumps Orochi up from dreadfully slow to on par or above some of the party members still on the battle roster.
Words cannot state how utterly bonkers this scroll is. Even just with that base 4 magic, it can be insanely powerful, especially in the hands of people with high magic. Those very critical boosted stats are just icing on the cake.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

The Great Club looks interesting, but you'd need a unit with a staggeringly high skill stat to use it effectively. I'm not sure any Birthright ax users fit that bill.
The best use of the Great Club requires a particular skill from the Archer line that patches up the accuracy issues. Granted, the skill just makes the Great Club an "use this on your turn while nothing else can get the jump on you" weapon instead of a high risk, high reward weapon. But, a Killer Axe will more viable more often than not, so the Great Club is just a quirky experiment at the end of the day.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Illusory Yumi seems like a fantastic Mage-killer weapon.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
To get the most out of the great club you want to be a berserker as with a bit of effort you can actually get a crit rate of 100%.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Getting a magic weapon for Felicia was a godsend for my first run in this game. It cannot be understated how big of a turn around it is for her. To have a unit go from plink damage that applies debuffs to one round almost anything on the map is staggering.

This can't be emphasized enough, Felicia gets an enormous amount of utility from it and it's ridiculous how much of a Mage killer she becomes with it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hmm. "Group unites to bring peace" should not immediately be followed with the good guys scattering metaphorically.

We should be safe here for the time being.
Thank you, Ryoma. I think I speak for everyone when I say this...
We're so glad to have you back in command.
We all missed you so much!
I knew you'd be fine. But I'm still glad to have you back.
Now that we're all reunited, nothing can stop us!
Thank you, everyone. It's great to see you all again. And I must apologize for making you all worry so much. To think of all you've overcome to track me down...
I've never been prouder to be your older brother.

Hold on that thought. I don't know if Ryoma will still be a swordmaster by the end of this chapter.

I like the sound of that. So you all must be Ryoma's siblings, right?
Ah, yes. It seems introductions are in order.
These are my younger brothers, Corrin and Takumi. And my sisters, Hinoka, Azura, and Sakura.
Everyone, this is Scarlet.
Wait...those names are awfully familiar. Are you named after the Hoshidan royal family?
Er. You could say that. We ARE the Hoshidan royal family.

Lobster Samurai apparently didn't get catchy in Nohr territory

Please, Scarlet.
You may simply call me Lord Ryoma.

wow, already making those borders huh

I apologize for not revealing my true identity earlier, but it was necessary. I wanted to get a true feel for your group without my royalty muddying the waters.
You needn't have worried. We have a common enemy. And many of us have strong ties to Hoshido.
My own grandfather was one of the king's servants many years ago.
Is that so?

Wait, so did your family betray Hoshido at some point or....

Yes! I've always wanted to be a knight because of him.
In fact, if it wouldn't be out of place...I'd really like to join your party. You've seen what I can do in battle. What do you say?
I say we'd be lucky to have you. Welcome aboard.
Yes! Thank you so much, Lord Ryoma.

Yes. The group here in Cheve is one of the most well organized. In the early stages of battle, I learned of this group and decided to investigate. I made my way to this region and joined the resistance under false pretenses. Of course, you must realize that there are underground anti-Hoshido groups as well. That's why it's important for us to have a presence in regions controlled by Nohr. In case the conflict spreads.
I can't believe I didn't recognize him.
Oh well. I'm just glad we're on the same side.
All of us in the Cheve resistance simply wish to be free of Nohr's oppressive rule.
Yes. It's important to remember that we're not just fighting for Hoshido. Garon's mania for conquest must not be allowed to claim one nation more!

*An explosion occurs outside*

What was that? I thought this was a safe house.
It is! Nobody outside the resistance knows about this place. Let's see what's going on.

*The group runs outside*

Milady, we're surrounded by Nohrian troops. Our men have engaged the enemy, but we're severely outnumbered.
No! How did they know that we were here?
We may still have a traitor among us...
What are you suggesting? You saw what happened to Zola.
I don't know, Corrin. How else could this have happened?
I refuse to believe...

Will you take heed to her war advice immediately for once in your life

No matter. We must evacuate immediately. There's a secret path nearby.
Come, everyone!
But what then? That path leads right to Nohr's doorstep.
Indeed. And that is exactly where I intend to go.
Are you serious? We're not ready for that kind of mission.
Running from the enemy won't bring this war to an end. We need to confront King Garon directly.

Ryoma's been playing some Sacred Stones, I see

What do you think, Corrin?
I think you're right. Moving forward quickly with a small force could actually work.
I don't know...
Scarlet, if you're not on board with this plan, please don't feel obligated to join. I understand it must be hard to leave your troops here to fend for themselves.
No...I'll go with you. The resistance here is strong. We may be outnumbered, but we'll win the day. I can see the conviction in your eyes.
Let's do this!
Excellent. Now that we're in agreement, we should get moving.
The sooner we make our move, the greater our advantage!

*The group come to an underground tunnel*

So this path leads all the way to Nohr? Are you sure we'll be safe?
We should be. Then again, I thought that our safe house was actually SAFE. We built the path for this exact purpose, but I had no idea we'd use it this soon...
I'm sorry, Scarlet. Our arrival has certainly set things in motion.
It's all right. Maybe it's just the spark we needed to finally make a move.
So please, wipe that sad look of your face. We're going to kick some butt!

Whoa!
Thanks, I guess I needed that. If we're going to invade Nohr all by ourselves, I'd better be confident.
We're close, everyone. Time to get serious.

*The group arrives outside*

Hmm, that's a lotta soldiers to kill

Everyone, please listen up. Once we cross the border, there's no turning back. If anyone wants to retreat, now's your chance. You will not be judged.
I'll follow you to the end of the world, Corrin. You have my support.
And leave you here to take on these jerks all by yourself? Forget about it.
I'll bend my bow to your will, Corrin!
I wouldn't think of staying behind after all you've done for us.
I'm pleased to see you taking on the role of a leader, Corrin. You're becoming worthy of the sword that has chosen you.
Naturally, I will not be turning back.
You know this already, but you have my support as well, Corrin.
Thank you, everyone. Your support means the world to me.
Now, let's head into Nohr and show King Garon we mean business!

Open-field storming of the castle. This'll be...interesting.

Stats here: HERE

Voting 5 out, last chance for Saizo, and Reina because she's led votes for multiple polls: http://www.strawpoll.me/12491150

Also vote for up to 2 characters to Heart Seal: http://www.strawpoll.me/12491143

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I still say Felicia works best if you Heart Seal her to Strategist ASAP, but to each their own.

On a side note, her secondary tree makes her deceptively durable despite the fact that her Defense is trash: Her secondary tree is Mercenary, one promotion of which is Hero... which, in turn, teaches Sol- an attack skill which heals the user for half the damage they deal when it activates. Combine with a tome, and Felicia's pretty much only dying when enemies one-shot her.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Tae posted:

Rat Spirit-B rank, 11 mt, 75 hit, +1 RES, self-debuff MAG/SKILL -2

I think this is supposed to be Rabbit Spirit; Rat Spirit was the Bronze variant.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
The chapter coming is another one that's genuinely kind of tricky (at least I've always found it so), at least on Hard on above. Still piss-easy on Normal. It's one of the few where your army's weaknesses, namely low defense and lack of mobility, really hampers you.

Of course, shortly after this the game's difficulty drops like a stone and never really recovers.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Even this chapter is kind of a joke the way you're "meant" do it, because Ryoma devours everything and Scarlet ruins everything except the bow users while taking no damage.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

C Support

Give the man a prize!

I can just picture the shenanigans you two must have gotten up to.

I really am quite impressive, aren't I?

Why do you all dress that way?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

C Support

Give the man a prize!

Well, I guess everyone has their vices. That said, gluing stuff to your weapon sounds like it'd make it less useful in some way (either blunting its edge, throwing the balance off, or just plain making it impractically heavy)...

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Scarlet's support owns because it's basically just her going nuts with a Bedazzler

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Tae posted:

Why do you all dress that way?

"Functional" and "excellent for combat", is it, Kagero

Also Azama's supports are a delight.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

inthesto posted:

Scarlet's support owns because it's basically just her going nuts with a Bedazzler

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

blizzardvizard posted:

"Functional" and "excellent for combat", is it, Kagero

Also Azama's supports are a delight.

Azama is fantastic. Though it's amazing he managed to avoid being murdered for as long as he has.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

Well, I guess everyone has their vices. That said, gluing stuff to your weapon sounds like it'd make it less useful in some way (either blunting its edge, throwing the balance off, or just plain making it impractically heavy)...

I'm pretty sure Fire Emblem isn't that worried with weapon weights.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Well it used to be.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Obligatum VII posted:

Azama is fantastic. Though it's amazing he managed to avoid being murdered for as long as he has.

I blame his Personal Skill. Turns out that it's kind of hard to kill an rear end in a top hat when Heaven itself rebukes you for trying.

Also, it's one of the reasons his support with Hayato made me like that kid more; it was nice to see Azama getting dunked on for a change.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

Corrin if you'd gained some defense you wouldn't have been that hurt by that.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Reina is apparently very unpopular with the voters. Huh she's barely done anything so far is there something you guys know that we who have not played the game don't?

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

cokerpilot posted:

Reina is apparently very unpopular with the voters. Huh she's barely done anything so far is there something you guys know that we who have not played the game don't?

I haven't played Birthright but I would assume a lot of it is general bias against pre-promotes in Fire Emblem games.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Also probably because she's more mom than waifu

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Also, based on my rather limited usage of her, she's just not that good. Her bases are somewhat low and she falls behind once your units catch up. Of course, this is based on my all-ninja run, so perhaps that's not the usual experience.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

I haven't played Birthright but I would assume a lot of it is general bias against pre-promotes in Fire Emblem games.

Probably this. I mean, Reina may not be up to the level of units you've promoted yourself, but that doesn't mean she's BAD... just outclassed.

Besides, last I saw Ryoma had quite a few votes himself, and it's already been stated that he's a really good unit... but then that's probably why he's got so many votes- readers want to make things difficult for Tae.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

for better or worse, this game will beat that out of you, the best units on both sides are all pre-premotes

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
As much as I like Reina as a character (cool design, and her personality is a laid-back version of some of the sickos you get in Conquest), she's an especially flimsy unit even for Hoshido standards. Corrin-sexuals tend to not be as popular either, so I can see why she's getting the shaft.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Voting will end soon. Please stop voting for Rinkah and Reina, they are already beyond dead at this point

-------------------------

C Support

You must stop being such a perfectionist.

Remember that I'm clumsy...

A proper princess?! What are you trying to say?!

Next time you need a little shut-eye, come find me and we'll curl up together...

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
That support with Hinoka and Ryoma was one of the better ones that we've seen so far, it's almost as if they had an actual believable sibling relationship.

Also drat Kaden moves fast, C support and they're already sleeping together?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

Voting will end soon. Please stop voting for Rinkah and Reina, they are already beyond dead at this point

-------------------------

C Support

You must stop being such a perfectionist.

Truer words were never spoken, Orochi. Who knows, maybe his focus on perfection is actually holding him back? Wouldn't that be ironic?

Tae posted:

Remember that I'm clumsy...

Seems Felicia's cryokinesis isn't just a one-off joke... Too bad it doesn't seem to do anything in-game.

Tae posted:

A proper princess?! What are you trying to say?!

Ryoma the troll... Can't say I saw that one coming.

Tae posted:

Next time you need a little shut-eye, come find me and we'll curl up together...

And Kaden's just lazy.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Why is Azama even in this race when he's leading in class change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

Why is Azama even in this race when he's leading in class change

My guess? A bunch of the people who aren't voting to Heart Seal him are voting to bench him, which combines with the dilution effect from having more options to put him in the "winning" tier of both polls.

• Locked thread