Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ufarn posted:

google cloud has some really cool apis, but their dashboard somehow managed to be worse than aws

yeah its really bad

and aws's dashboard is lightyears ahead of azure lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i really hate the concept of "projects" in google cloud, makes managing the billing a real pain in the rear end

azure gets this right with resource groups at least

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mishaq posted:

yeah its really bad

MS hires a huge number of human interface designers to come up with the worst one possible

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

mishaq posted:

i really hate the concept of "projects" in google cloud,

me as well, and I work on a cloud product. they must be an artifact of older poo poo because I feel like some of the ways they're used don't make any sense

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CrazyLittle posted:

apparently home depot is a google cloud technology company.

https://cloudnext.withgoogle.com/

home depot has the biggest touch screen registers i've seen

it's very futurey

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

syscall girl posted:

home depot has the biggest touch screen registers i've seen

it's very futurey
hmmm i wonder what could have prompted them to buy completely new point-of-sale equipment

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

hobbesmaster posted:

MS hires a huge number of human interface designers to come up with the worst one possible

you know there's an ibm cloud, right?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

carry on then posted:

you know there's an ibm cloud, right?

oracle too :getin:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anthonypants posted:

hmmm i wonder what could have prompted them to buy completely new point-of-sale equipment

has anyone used the paypal functionality at home deport ever?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

yeah its really bad

the aws dashboard is abysmal outside of maybe route 53. the azure portal is also bad but in different ways.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

the aws dashboard is abysmal outside of maybe route 53. the azure portal is also bad but in different ways.

aws has the best dashboard of any cloud service provider

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I think its mostly that VPC sucks poo poo in all respects and you cant make a UI to fix that.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

why does vpc suck

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Everything related to NAT or VPNs is a dumb mess and even AWS support cant explain why things don't work when configured the way they're supposed to. their suggestion is to not use VPC and setup an EC2 instance to handle routing.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

Everything related to NAT or VPNs is a dumb mess and even AWS support cant explain why things don't work when configured the way they're supposed to. their suggestion is to not use VPC and setup an EC2 instance to handle routing.

use direct connect in a real data center

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
subnets not being able to span availability zones is also loving dumb.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

use direct connect in a real data center

if we had something as simple as that then maybe, but we do work with external clients so VPNs are the only real way to do that kind of connectivity.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

so are all the restrictions and costs involved with vpc peering

azure actually has a lot of things going for it networking wise, too bad it's still
garbage

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
azure is a million times better for paas which is the only real thing to use cloud for.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the other thing that drives me nuts is how you cant resize outside the current family or reconfigure vms in aws without destroying the vm and attaching the disk to a new one.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

azure is a million times better for paas which is the only real thing to use cloud for.

lol

azure can't even get storage to not be a shitshow

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/storage-introduction

lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
seems fine 2 me

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
yesterday when i started navigation in maps, it showed me an information balloon with "say ok google call mom" pointing to the microphone icon on the maps search box.

gently caress you, just show me my loving route.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wheany posted:

yesterday when i started navigation in maps, it showed me an information balloon with "say ok google call mom" pointing to the microphone icon on the maps search box.

just saw this episode of black mirror

i have bad news for you

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

isn't this what hangouts originally was and what ello is/was too?

Hey buddy, don't let your google hangout! lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

fishmech posted:

has anyone used the paypal functionality at home deport ever?

why yes i would like my receipt emailed to me

burning swine
May 26, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

why yes i would like my receipt emailed to me

i asked if anyone ever does that, and apparently it's used constantly by contractors and construction workers buying supplies on behalf of their employers

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wheany posted:

please be a good child and call your mother. she loves it when she gets a call.

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

i asked if anyone ever does that, and apparently it's used constantly by contractors and construction workers buying supplies on behalf of their employers

i use the "get your receipt emailed" thing all the time at any store that offers it with one of those savings cards. no point wasting paper for a dumb receipt i'd probably just lose anyway

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i always have my receipts emailed to me when the option is available.

in actual google news, hangouts is turning into slack but by google.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/9/14864552/google-hangouts-chat-update-announced-slack-group-messaging-video

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

fishmech posted:

i use the "get your receipt emailed" thing all the time at any store that offers it with one of those savings cards. no point wasting paper for a dumb receipt i'd probably just lose anyway

:yossame:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

emailed receipts are best thing ever for expense reports

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/03/08/new-google-campus-charleston-east-mountain-view-approved/

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Endless Mike posted:

i always have my receipts emailed to me when the option is available.

in actual google news, hangouts is turning into slack but by google.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/9/14864552/google-hangouts-chat-update-announced-slack-group-messaging-video
hell drat yes, threaded messages

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

⌘-f

quelle surprise

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

It came about because we really started designing from the inside out, John Igoe of Google told KPIX 5. We wanted to find out how we could get a space to be very, very flexible and that wouldnt have a lot of walls and the typical type of restrictions you have.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hifi posted:

It came about because we really started designing from the inside out, John Igoe of Google told KPIX 5. We wanted to find out how we could get a space to be very, very flexible and that wouldnt have a lot of walls and the typical type of restrictions you have.

whoa, two mid 2000s dell inspirons

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the picture is from 2007

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

fishmech posted:

please be a good child and call your mother. she loves it when she gets a call.

i will not call her while i'm driving because i'm a good enough child not to make her bury me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

qirex posted:

⌘-f

quelle surprise
The housing is to be built in north bayshore from what I understand, this is a part of that project closer to the existing campus.

By way of context the Mountain View city council got taken over by pro-housing politics about 4 years ago and have been on a building spree, and I believe cancelled the previous council's approval of Google's office project because it didn't have enough housing.

• Locked thread