Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ghost of Starman posted:

Thinking about (finally) picking this up in the sale, based on goon recommendations and whatnot. How highly would y'all rate the various DLCs, and would you say the Crusader Kings II Collection (which seems to include just about everything but the two most-recent DLCs) is worth picking up immediately?

Get the base game and consider the DLCs if you haven't bounced off after 5-20 hours. Stuff goes on sale every 1-2 months so there is no need to get everything at once and the base game on itself can easily provide 100+ hours of entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'm ashamed of you guys not including Reaper's Due. I don't know how I used to plat this game without a crackpot medieval doctor curing the flu by chopping your dick off or smearing poo poo all over you. :colbert:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The CK2 Collection is definitely worth it.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Ghost of Starman posted:

Thinking about (finally) picking this up in the sale, based on goon recommendations and whatnot. How highly would y'all rate the various DLCs, and would you say the Crusader Kings II Collection (which seems to include just about everything but the two most-recent DLCs) is worth picking up immediately?

I ended up buying Crusader Kings II during a Humble Bundle sale for $6 a couple years ago, now I own nearly all of the DLC, even the cosmetic ones. That...was not planned in the slightest. There's a big CKII sale on Steam until 10AM PST, and the series often goes on sale, every couple months or so, up to 75% off for the older DLC. So the best thing might be to buy the base game and try it to see if you like it, then add DLC as wanted. There's a large list here:

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Downloadable_content

The ones that I can't live without are Way of Life (deeper character customization, allows you to focus on what kind of rule you want), Legacy of Rome (you can play as the Byzantines/Orthodox Christians, and you can have a personal retinue army), and Sons of Abraham (can borrow money from the Jews, can suck up to the pope for money or a divorce, great for starting out an early realm).

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

So on my secret Jew game I had an event where I paid an artist to make a magnificent painting. Once it was done, I had the option to pay a little more to get the artist to add in some hidden Jewish symbols. Got 100 devotion points out of it! Thought it was a pretty cool option for a secret religion character. Plus the painting in my treasury gives me +.25 prestige. Not bad for something that cost only ~50 gold imo.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Old Gods is the one I'd consider an absolute must because it's what I started on and Pagans are where it's at, though thanks to SoA and now the Societies I suppose you can play as a Christian and still have things to do~

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just bought them all when I got the game, granted it may have only been up to Old Gods at that point. I do feel like I got more than two initially. I'd say make the plunge (when it's on sale like now). Each one adds so much, that even if say you don't wind up playing a particular type regularly, I don't think you'll feel like you got ripped off. Hell I never play with Aztec Invasion, but when you get it on sale it's not a big deal.

Catalina posted:

I ended up buying Crusader Kings II during a Humble Bundle sale for $6 a couple years ago, now I own nearly all of the DLC, even the cosmetic ones. That...was not planned in the slightest. There's a big CKII sale on Steam until 10AM PST, and the series often goes on sale, every couple months or so, up to 75% off for the older DLC. So the best thing might be to buy the base game and try it to see if you like it, then add DLC as wanted. There's a large list here:

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Downloadable_content

The ones that I can't live without are Way of Life (deeper character customization, allows you to focus on what kind of rule you want), Legacy of Rome (you can play as the Byzantines/Orthodox Christians, and you can have a personal retinue army), and Sons of Abraham (can borrow money from the Jews, can suck up to the pope for money or a divorce, great for starting out an early realm).
It should be said that Reapers Due isn't in the Steam Bundle one. I also got the game on sale and never intended to own everything...well not the ebooks...but here we are.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Honky Dong Country posted:

So on my secret Jew game I had an event where I paid an artist to make a magnificent painting. Once it was done, I had the option to pay a little more to get the artist to add in some hidden Jewish symbols. Got 100 devotion points out of it! Thought it was a pretty cool option for a secret religion character. Plus the painting in my treasury gives me +.25 prestige. Not bad for something that cost only ~50 gold imo.

The item functionality in the expansion is really cool. I just spent 950 gold to steal the image of Edessa from a monastery :v:

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Can you have priests that are secretly another religion? I would find it hilarious if I could make a secret jew the pope.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grizzwold posted:

Can you have priests that are secretly another religion? I would find it hilarious if I could make a secret jew the pope.

You and me both, you and me both. :(

Trust me I've been wanting to appoint a Jew as a Bishop just to annoy the locals.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Man I can't even get the secret jew society up to any kind of strength. The majority of people tell me to gently caress off when approached, and even when they do become secret jews they won't join the society. I lose members as fast as I get them and haven't been able to get more than like ten of them. I don't think any of the members are doing much to expand the society.

And for the amount of failures I'm getting 150 to get sympathy for jews followed by 150-300 to get turned down is a hefty price. Plus since I appear to be doing all the legwork just to keep a handful of members on the roster I'm finding it nearly impossible to not get caught and called out.

A lot of the targets are people that like me, too. This poo poo just seems impossible to get any momentum in.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 8, 2017

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I gave birth to the Antichrist, and somehow this triggered the demon-Aztec Invasion 300-400 years early. 9th century Europe was not ready for that poo poo.

In other news, don't pay your Satanist vassals to build a monument for you

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I should have seen this coming.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Wait wait hold the gently caress up. Satanspawn triggering the Sunset Invasion early is intended behaviour?

I loving love this game. :allears:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Crusader Kings II: I'm gay because I hailed Satan

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

This DLC owns.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Swedish Horror posted:

This DLC owns.

it's fully sick.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Oh wow, the "Obedient" modifier that Satanists get to their High Priest even forces them to accept vassalization offers.

That's me as the King of Ireland about to get the Duke of Toulouse to swear fealty to me.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 2, 2018

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Swedish Horror posted:

This DLC owns.

I had this happen to me today, except it put in my daughter, the Antichrist, in the bull and she died :saddowns: . At least I managed to dig up her skull and keep it in my family for a few centuries so far :black101:

Also :3:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

mmkay posted:

I had this happen to me today, except it put in my daughter, the Antichrist, in the bull and she died :saddowns: . At least I managed to dig up her skull and keep it in my family for a few centuries so far :black101:

Also :3:

No loving way.

E: now I wonder if you recruit glitterhoof for satan

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

No loving way.

I'll try (eventually), but so far she is without sin ( my lunatic immortal penis-regenerating count did manage to give her a good tumble though, before he died to assassins)

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

No loving way.

I saw something on Reddit about inducting Glitterhoof into Satanism, but there's also Satanist Pope Horse MD. This loving game.

E: Glitterhoof swearing allegiance to her new master.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 9, 2017

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Can Glitterhoof become the High Priest and wear the goatskull

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Some pretty cool and interesting items in the game:

e; Paradox could probably make Crusader Kings: the RPG at this point

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The inventory system is a boon to so many mods. GoT, EK, Warhammer and AtE will all benefit immensely from it.

Speaking of AtE, I'd like to see Atomicists get a doomsday cult society.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Kainser posted:

Some pretty cool and interesting items in the game:

e; Paradox could probably make Crusader Kings: the RPG at this point

I think CK is an RPG tbh, just not the type you usually think of.

Incidentally for some reason people don't believe that I'm immortal despite the fact I've been 23 for 142 years :psyduck:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

spectralent posted:

I think CK is an RPG tbh, just not the type you usually think of.

Incidentally for some reason people don't believe that I'm immortal despite the fact I've been 23 for 142 years :psyduck:

Maybe they just think you're pulling the opposite of that old trick immortals would use, go off for a bit then come back pretending to be your own son..

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

People are suspicious of some kind of trick despite the unaging thing and the fact I'm the goddamn fylkir, though. I don't think inheritance tricks will work.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

darthbob88 posted:

I saw something on Reddit about inducting Glitterhoof into Satanism, but there's also Satanist Pope Horse MD. This loving game.

E: Glitterhoof swearing allegiance to her new master.
I mean, there's a precedent for this sorta thing.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
in catching up with DLC, I noticed people here recommending Conclave but the Steam reviews make it sound like a huge headache to play with.

I have everything up to Way of Life, and am definitely loading up on Horse Lords, Reapers Due, and Mystics, but is Conclave a must get in this case? Just don't want anything that's going to bog the game down

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Canadian Surf Club posted:

in catching up with DLC, I noticed people here recommending Conclave but the Steam reviews make it sound like a huge headache to play with.

I have everything up to Way of Life, and am definitely loading up on Horse Lords, Reapers Due, and Mystics, but is Conclave a must get in this case? Just don't want anything that's going to bog the game down

I'm in the same situation. Last I heard from goons was that conclave was poo poo.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Conclave was never poo poo. Some people are huge babies about it due to interaction with vassals being more complicated, shattered retreat (which is nbd and can even be turned off), and defensive pacts (also nbd can can be turned off lol).

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Conclave makes the council a huge pain in the rear end but improves education massively, IIRC. Plus the council being a pain means more "Oh poo poo my realm is falling apart" stuff.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

My major issue with defensive pacts is the multicultural thing. Why do Christians care that I wiped some pagans off the map?

EDIT: Like right now I'm waiting for 448 months because I vassalised some other norse guys, and almost literally the entire world has joined a defensive pact over that. Why?

spectralent fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 9, 2017

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

spectralent posted:

Conclave makes the council a huge pain in the rear end but improves education massively, IIRC. Plus the council being a pain means more "Oh poo poo my realm is falling apart" stuff.

The council is not that hard to wrangle man. I'm actually extremely happy with it at the Empire level because it can be a great way to keep your most powerful vassals (vassal kings) happier and unable to faction up. Beyond that just make an effort to keep relations good with your vassals. It's not that hard. Hell it actually just got even easier with the councilor selection screen showing their likely disposition before you even pick them.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

The council is not that hard to wrangle man. I'm actually extremely happy with it at the Empire level because it can be a great way to keep your most powerful vassals (vassal kings) happier and unable to faction up. Beyond that just make an effort to keep relations good with your vassals. It's not that hard. Hell it actually just got even easier with the councilor selection screen showing their likely disposition before you even pick them.

You never have as many council slots as people who want to be on the council, though, and you want stats that are decent so your council actions aren't poo poo and take forever to complete. Now don't get me wrong; this is more engaging gameplay-wise, and it also leads to more of the roleplay we love from CK2 where you're incentivised for, say, killing idiots who want a council position to let their master general son get it instead, or whatever. But it is absolutely more of a pain in the rear end and if you primarily played pre-conclave CK2 where the game flowed more like a grandstrat with RPG stats instead of the kind of strategic RPG it is now then it'll be a jarring change of pace. It's also annoying how you can have happy vassals who still faction.

Also at present even powerful vassals are on 100s anyway, so I don't really care.

EDIT: Unrelatedly is there any way I can stop having kids? My immortal god-empress has now had like forty and it's starting to get a bit hard to manage the family tree screen.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 9, 2017

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

spectralent posted:

You never have as many council slots as people who want to be on the council, though, and you want stats that are decent so your council actions aren't poo poo and take forever to complete. Now don't get me wrong; this is more engaging gameplay-wise, and it also leads to more of the roleplay we love from CK2 where you're incentivised for, say, killing idiots who want a council position to let their master general son get it instead, or whatever. But it is absolutely more of a pain in the rear end and if you primarily played pre-conclave CK2 where the game flowed more like a grandstrat with RPG stats instead of the kind of strategic RPG it is now then it'll be a jarring change of pace. It's also annoying how you can have happy vassals who still faction.

Also at present even powerful vassals are on 100s anyway, so I don't really care.

That's only the case under absolute rule. An empowered council has an advisor seat for kings, and two for emperors. The number of powerful vassals is always the maximum number of voting seats (including advisor slot/s whether you have empowered council or not) minus 1. Keeping your powerful vassals on the council is a great way to keep them pretty happy, and if you go so far as to give them war declaration powers they can't join factions unless discontent. There's incentive to give the council some power and playing politics to get them to do what you want.

Personally, I almost never use absolute rule anymore. It's not hard to wrangle an empowered council into doing what you want and the benefit of them being unable to join factions is extremely handy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

spectralent posted:

People are suspicious of some kind of trick despite the unaging thing and the fact I'm the goddamn fylkir, though. I don't think inheritance tricks will work.

I meant they thought the opposite, that illegitimate bastards were coming back pretending to be you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Anyone complaining about defensive pacts or shattered retreats now is making something out of nothing. Both of them can be turned off at game start without disabling achievements.

• Locked thread