Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hello fau or cowcaster please add this as a tag thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Woah?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
someone should make a horizon gang tag

Aloy's Bad Boys

heh

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

.us

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone here play their vidya games on a projector instead of a traditional TV? how well does that work out? It's something I've wanted to try for a while but couldn't work out the logistics, like where to put the projector so I'm not in the way but consoles can still be hooked up.

I used to have one, it's easier than you may think. Ceiling mounting the projector is for the best, but using a table behind you isn't bad. The height seems like it's gonna be a problem, but most projectors have what's called keystone correction, which squishes the top or bottom of the image to make up for the throw angle.

Either way you'll probably need to invest in some good long cabling. MAT is a good resource for that kind of stuff since they tend to be more for A/V installers versus the general public, so they have some of the odd mounting hardware and adapters you could end up needing for cheap: https://www.matelectronics.com/ (Also a fine reseller of NES pinsets!)

Apart from that, you mostly want to make sure you get a projector that has low latency and plan on using at least an audio receiver to handle that side of things, since projector speakers and audio processing tend to be not very good.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks. I've been thinking for awhile about an upgrade to my 50" plasma of yesteryear, and projector against the wall (with later upgrade to a screen) occurred to me. Only problem is I have no idea where I'd put the stuff, especially since ceiling mount isn't an option (apartment, plus the ceiling is very high where I'd want the projector).

Think when I get home I'll figure out where the projector would actually have to go before anything else. Like if it's the middle of the room that's one thing, but the far back it's something else.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Have you considered that the people saying these two things are not, in fact, the same people?

They are though, is the punchline. A lot of the vocal proponents of the "games are art!" thing don't really mean they want people to treat games like art, what they really mean is "I want you to affirm for me that this thing I've built a huge chunk of my identity around is cool and good and mature."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Quest For Glory II posted:

IGN games ~journalist~

You could have just said "garbage"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Not a Children posted:

I was born in 1990 so I don't really know what it was like, but I imagine going from NES music to this was fuckin' neck-hair raising stuff

Actraiser's soundtrack is still phenomenal by today's standards. And that was an SNES launch game!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The NES had the awesome Castlevania 3 soundtrack.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sure gramps, enjoy your bloops and bleeps

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The SNES still has the best version of this theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoQex8CB9eA

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nasgate posted:

Something specificaly disingenuous about the comparisons though, is the camera focus. Horizon's focus is on the world itself, and the angle of the camera reflects that. You can see in the videos that the uploader has to constantly adjust the camera to keep it focused on the girl.
Meanwhile, Zelda is focused on Link interacting with the world. Likewise the Camera focused on Link in the center as the focal point.

As a result, I recall beautiful mountains in Horizon, none in Zelda. I recall the zigzag white stripe on Link's red bandana, and the girl in Horizon has a blue or green hair thing?

bloodychill posted:

This is an incredibly insightful and I didn't think about third person character placement on screen in any indepth capacity until reading this. It's interesting to think about and you know the developers and designers put a ton of thought into this stuff. It's neat to think back through why they make the decisions they do because of where they want the player focused or how they want them to experience the game and characters.

I'm not saying this is wrong, but I think it's worth pointing out that Horizon is a shooter, so you don't want the player character centered in the camera, you want potential targets to naturally be centered as the player looks at them. Some 3rd person shooters, especially early ones, have the character more centered and obstructing more of the view. Horizon also has enemies that are almost always larger than the player character by a significant margin, so offsetting the character from the center of the frame makes it easier to frame these large targets unobstructed.

In a melee action game, target obstruction and framing isn't nearly as important. The exact position of the player character in relation to enemies is what informs the players choices, so centering them makes more sense. It gives the player a more consistent view of the characters immediate surroundings.

Link isn't going to back-peddle off a cliff nearly as easily as Aloy. But I bet Aloy has better target acquisition while manually aiming ranged weapons. I haven't played BotW, so I don't know too much about Link's ranged options.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
The selfie mode on the camera in BotW loving sucks because Link is always in the exact center of the shot. You can make him do little poses and point at stuff but good luck lining his finger up with anything.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Horizon's photo mode is really good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Game is quite pretty. I would say overall Uncharted 4 is more polished and detailed but considering Horizon is an open world it's extremely impressive for what it can do

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

When do the horizon/zelda comparisons stop

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Once it's been proven that one is obviously objectively better than the other

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Help Im Alive posted:

When the two games are no longer......................................................linked

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Confession: I've played a great many SNES games, but Actraiser has never been one of them. I should definitely rectify that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ActRaiser is very good and one of the first games I finished all by myself, so it will always have a fond place in my heart. I wish they had made a true sequel and not just an action-only thing

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Nate RFB posted:

Confession: I've played a great many SNES games, but Actraiser has never been one of them. I should definitely rectify that.

I think it still holds up, even today. You're in for a treat!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

It has a boring and shallow simulation mode and the platforming sections are pretty simple, but decent. It really survives by the gimmick of it being the two modes being linked to each other, and having a really solid soundtrack. But either mode in particular is pretty weak compared to other games.

You should definitely play it though because it's not very long or difficult and it's a unique experience.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Help Im Alive posted:

when they both stop being open world games

when gamers stop getting super defensive about the flaws in their 60 dollar videogames

never, basically

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

The selfie mode on the camera in BotW loving sucks because Link is always in the exact center of the shot. You can make him do little poses and point at stuff but good luck lining his finger up with anything.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
First selfie I took was of link picking the nose of the Kakariko Village leader. It was glorious.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Compile Heart has launched a new title countdown website asking users, “Boobs or butt? Which party are you?”

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Quest For Glory II posted:

Compile Heart has launched a new title countdown website asking users, “Boobs or butt? Which party are you?”

This is the Splatfest that will lead to war.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The GIPHY Museum of GIF Art is the first ever virtual reality GIF art museum. The current exhibition in the MoGA is Loop Dreams, the accompaniment to our 2016 IRL exhibition. Works by 20 artists are exhibited in a beautiful, nonlinear environment.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/593090/

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

How the heck did I never hear about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pybOtiV2ggI

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

Once it's been proven that one is obviously objectively better than the other

Horizon Zero Dawn outsold Breath of the Wild despite being a brand new IP and starring a woman, both of which are things Nintendo is deathly allergic to unless squids are involved.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It has a boring and shallow simulation mode and the platforming sections are pretty simple, but decent. It really survives by the gimmick of it being the two modes being linked to each other, and having a really solid soundtrack. But either mode in particular is pretty weak compared to other games.

You should definitely play it though because it's not very long or difficult and it's a unique experience.

Both of those things were good by 1991 console standards though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah the sim market for consoles was pretty dam slim at the time.

It was... slim city.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn outsold Breath of the Wild despite being a brand new IP and starring a woman, both of which are things Nintendo is deathly allergic to unless squids are involved.
one has an install base of a kajillion consoles and the other is on a system that just launched

the fact that zelda was #2 in some regions was pretty crazy and shows how high its attach rate was and how it was basically the only thing to buy for Switch

the numbers on switch sales aren't out yet but even with switch outselling the wii in its launch weekend in europe that's still just more than 320K, i think in Japan it sold around what the PS4 sold in its launch weekend which was around the same number.. so yeah. i heard something like attach rate of 9 out of every ten switch buyers also bought zelda so that's how it's not being blown out of the water

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 9, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

How the heck did I never hear about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pybOtiV2ggI

Contra III kicks rear end

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm at the End of the World in Kingdom Hearts now and man this place suuucks

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

raditts posted:

Both of those things were good by 1991 console standards though.

Yeah it was fantastic when it came out. I was mainly commenting on it 'holding up', which I don't think the sim sections really do at all.

Turbo makes it pretty tolerable though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/steveklabnik/status/839287376014880768

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I'm at the End of the World in Kingdom Hearts now and man this place suuucks

What don't you like about it? I thought it was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i actually really like the environments in zelda, and think they look very pretty and memorable. it felt cool climbing a mountain and looking up to see the clouds in the sky freaking out, and looking down to see i was actually high enough to glide onto a nearby tower, which just put how massive the even taller mountain i was aiming to glide to was into perspective

• Locked thread