Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

someone awful. posted:

Ah heck, I've been getting back into this over the past couple weeks, can I snag a guild invite on Orihan? Playing a druid because I never did before and I'm still not 100% sure I made the right choice, but it's not like I hate it or anything.

I will be completely unsurprised if I end up switching to a cleric, though. I always play cleric. I have a problem. :negative:

Clerics make lots of friends in these games. Just don't expect incredible solo power unless you're rocking some hella twink gear and pounding on undead.

Edit: Speaking of, I'm probably going to be back again here for a bit with Pubbies the bard, I've got an entire bank full of crushbone belts and I'm still incredibly indecisive about if I want to use it to level a halfling cleric or High elf, leaning toward the latter for the racial necklace and eventual access to the racial smithing.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

someone awful. posted:

Ah heck, I've been getting back into this over the past couple weeks, can I snag a guild invite on Orihan? Playing a druid because I never did before and I'm still not 100% sure I made the right choice, but it's not like I hate it or anything.

I will be completely unsurprised if I end up switching to a cleric, though. I always play cleric. I have a problem. :negative:

Where are you at? Add Xeirak and/or Sietlan to /friends and I will be sure to come tag you!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Hanging out in Crushbone/Faydwer generally being a dumb elf and doing dumb elf things. I forgot you had to be in the same zone to guild invite! It's been a minute.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Kefit posted:

Really how is that any different from twinking out any other class with a fungi and haste and a decent weapon.

I'm pretty sure this is exactly what would have happened if my plans to twink out a rogue with such equipment ever got off the ground before I stopped playing.

I've been playing a few characters off and on for a couple years now, and getting twinked always instantly kills my drive to play. People are just trying to be nice and give me poo poo, and are baffled when I tell them I'd rather just grind it out. Kills the nostalgia factor I think, as I was a dumb kid back in 1999 and never got a character above level 25 (and the one I did was a Wood Elf Warrior lol).

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Arven posted:

I've been playing a few characters off and on for a couple years now, and getting twinked always instantly kills my drive to play. People are just trying to be nice and give me poo poo, and are baffled when I tell them I'd rather just grind it out. Kills the nostalgia factor I think, as I was a dumb kid back in 1999 and never got a character above level 25 (and the one I did was a Wood Elf Warrior lol).

Same. Untwinked is the best.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
I can understand that. I don't think I would had as much fun if I was given all the end game stuff. On the other hand, I really did like getting stuff like banded or bronze armor. Maybe a decent weapon. But that was all stuff that was below even 1kpp.

edit: And loving power leveled. God drat I love it.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
I dont know. Once you've done the untwinked stuff once its an incredible catharsis to be able to say gently caress you to the game and shred things up for once. The game is so unforgiving that it feels good to have some payback.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

FranktheBank posted:

edit: And loving power leveled. God drat I love it.

See, yeah, power leveling rules. It doesn't feel like cheating. What's even better is being like level 8 and someone casting a high level Shield of Thorns and a bunch of other buffs so you so you can go kill a couple red mobs and gain like half a level. Mmmm.

For some reason it also doesn't feel like cheating when you loot dead guards that people are farming.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Athropos posted:

I dont know. Once you've done the untwinked stuff once its an incredible catharsis to be able to say gently caress you to the game and shred things up for once. The game is so unforgiving that it feels good to have some payback.

Yeah, I agree. I mainly meant for the first character.

I really want to come back and play again, just more casually. I probably will only have a couple hours a night to play (as opposed to 6+). I have a 50 something cleric on red, but I kinda want to roll up something I can solo better with.

I'm deciding between shaman or druid. The recent posts about shaman made it really appealing. I like the leveling speed on red, but I guess it wouldn't matter if I am just kicking back solo. I would assume that solo camps are occupied on blue though...

Edit: I really wanted a class that's super easily and kinda mindless to solo with. Since I frequently have a kid that calling my attention or climbing on me, so I figured root rotting would fit that bill.

FranktheBank fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 6, 2017

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Dad talk: consider necro. Being able to feign death when your kid/wife suddenly needs 100% of your attention is pretty OP.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Let's say someone wanted to start an Enchanter to casually solo. Any general advice? Tips for what race to choose? Progression?

For background, I logged on to my lvl 34 shaman last night, realized I'd forgotten how to play entirely, and logged back out. I want to start with something new and then maybe juggle the two characters once I'm back in the groove. I haven't touched the game since summer of last year so I'm rusty...

Edit: Also, when distributing bonus points for stats, most places seem to recommend dumping 25 points into one major stat and the last 5 into a different one - but why not split the numbers? Would 15 in Int and 15 in Cha, in the Enchanter's case, gimp the character?

HoboTech fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 6, 2017

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.

HoboTech posted:

Let's say someone wanted to start an Enchanter to casually solo. Any general advice? Tips for what race to choose? Progression?

For background, I logged on to my lvl 34 shaman last night, realized I'd forgotten how to play entirely, and logged back out. I want to start with something new and then maybe juggle the two characters once I'm back in the groove. I haven't touched the game since summer of last year so I'm rusty...

Edit: Also, when distributing bonus points for stats, most places seem to recommend dumping 25 points into one major stat and the last 5 into a different one - but why not split the numbers? Would 15 in Int and 15 in Cha, in the Enchanter's case, gimp the character?

53 chanter here. Been soloing since 30. The biggest thing you can do to help yourself out is stack charisma as close to 200 as you can, and make it up with the buffs you get. CHA gear is generally pretty cheap but some of them might get expensive. I'm a high elf but you can play any race, really. It wouldn't gimp a character in the long term to split stats, but just starting out it would make a huge difference. >200 CHA is a giant change in how long charm lasts and how well lulls work which are two spells you'll be using to solo a lot. You want them to be as dependable as possible.

Spaid's guide for solo progression on the wiki is pretty good, though some of his stuff is pretty hard to accomplish, mostly at the higher end. 1-11 in a starter area then at 12 start working on charm solo. the general flow of battle is find a group of mobs (preferably in 2's but there are fun ways to handle larger groups), lull all of them, lvl 4 mez, tash, charm, wait for mez to wear off and send at the target. Root target and med. When they are both pretty low (sub 10% is fine but might want to try sub 5%) break charm and kill both.

One item you might want to get is an instant clicky of some kind. The Kromzek Surveyors Scope is super cheap and works. The reason why is when you cast and use a clicky, it resets your spells gems so you can cast another spell right away without having to wait for them to refresh. ultimately, this job is filled by a Glamour rod or a Goblin Earring, but those can be pricey (I don't know your budget). Another items you might want is a Goblin Gaz Ring. It's really expensive, and the camp can be brutal but you can do it on your shaman. I can show you to the solo spot to hunt the mob that drops it as the tri spawn is usually camped. The instant cast invis is awesome for breaking charm right when you want, rather than casting a spell of depending on a hide skill success.

If you have questions, look up Taciturn in game. Also, Tecmos Deception has a bunch of videos of him charm soloing if you want to see the flow in action. He is probably one of the best enchanter players on the server.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

HoboTech posted:

It depends on your class/race and how meta you want to get. Most of the recommendations you see are based on end game gear optimization, though it does trickle down into regular gear as well. In the case of enchanters 25cha/5xxx is usually recommended because int gear is more common than cha gear. Several enchanter spells use charisma for checks so it's important to buff it up toward 200 as quickly as possible. However, for the average person 15int/15cha isn't a bad distribution and won't break a character; I'd still recommend 25cha/5int though.

D-Tron
Jul 3, 2007

1999 was a hard time
to be a scrub

Yam Slacker
Sup enchanter here, I went high elf and 25 cha/5 int to start and definitely don't regret it. CHA and HP are your most important stats and being able to more easily get your CHA over 200 will give you more wiggle room with your remaining slots to pump up HP as much as possible.

Some good advice above about general charm solo strategy and importance of clickies. This stuff is less important now while you're learning the ropes but here are some additional strategies that I have learned over time that has helped to refine my chantin and others may find useful as well:

- I bound my middle mouse button to the number 9 on keyboard which I also use as a hotbutton for rod of insidious glamour for instant spell gem refresh.
- Hotbuttons 1-8 are all bound to spells 1-8 and set to cast twice with a pause of 1 in between. This helps with fizzle protection, and also by having all spells keyboard controlled with a mouse click in between for gem-refresh makes it easy to cast in quick succession.
- I personally like keeping up 2 different stuns. You can recharm without a mez in between by going stun > tash > stun > charm (even works with 6-second cast allure), or go stun > stun > charm starting with color flux in the really tough situations where you will be summoned on a charm break. Also good for continually interrupting caster mobs.
- Learning how to set up GINA triggers/timers is extremely helpful for timing mezzes/buffs/respawn times/etc and is well worth the effort.

It’s the dopest class, fun & overpowered with a huge toolbox and varied playstyle and is relatively cheap to gear out. You are gonna outdamage the rogues in your groups not to mention all the other poo poo you bring to the table. Hit me up on Arbys in game if you have any questions, I probably have some old cha gear gathering dust in the bank I could pass your way also.

FknMeh
Dec 9, 2008

How rainbows are made...

Kefit posted:

I stopped playing about a year ago, when the rest of BDA bounced over to Phinny (can't blame them at all), but I had to post here to say that this made me laugh out loud. Please keep it up.

I've still got a decked out raid shaman, and a mule so laden with plat that he's perma rooted in the EC tunnel (provided my account hasn't been hacked, of course). Sometimes I think I'd like to give some of this stuff away to up and coming goons, but that would involve installing the game again. And that might give me the urge to play again, which is something I really don't want to risk at this time. So I guess that stuff is probably just gonna rot away for a long time to come, unfortunately.

Doooo iiiiittttt! =D

FknMeh
Dec 9, 2008

How rainbows are made...

Siets posted:

Met some fair maidens in Crushbone today!

Many an orc slaver were brought to justice.

Canloe now has more belts than he knows what to do with!

(Also thanks to Welt for bringing me the Walrusbone Shield! :thumbsup:)

Psh, you didn't include Ameliorant. lol...

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

It only took me way too many hours I'm never getting back and a yearlong test of endurance but the best looking EQ robe is now mine.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Dad talk: consider necro. Being able to feign death when your kid/wife suddenly needs 100% of your attention is pretty OP.

I've thought about it, but I view fear kiting as work, I have never done it though.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

FranktheBank posted:

I've thought about it, but I view fear kiting as work, I have never done it though.
As long as you're not a melee and can figure out some nice safe-ish pathing spots, it's no more work than root rotting. If anything, fear is more reliable and cheaper (esp on undead) sooner than root is, and necros get root eventually anyway if you want to play pretend druid/shaman. Necros are also amazing vs. undead and can charm in a lot of good vanilla and kunark zones to great effect. Velious zones are a bit light on undead with a few notable exceptions.

The only really frustrating feature of soloing a necro is that your most efficient way of killing mobs results in an XP penalty, so you have to play somewhat inefficiently (using mana for DoTs and sometimes nukes rather than just snares/fears/charms) to keep your pet from doing 50+% of the damage and gimping your XP.

On another Dad note, you might consider wizard as well if you are thinking about druid - it's among the easiest and fastest (in terms of actual time at the keyboard) classes to solo if you don't care about downtime. Pick a mob, root, nukex5/reroot, go play with your kid for 5-10 minutes, repeat. At some level after 29, gather 4 mobs, snare them all, quad-nukex8, go play with your kid for 10-15 minutes, repeat. You can bind near your farm spot and gate away using your other ports if you get in poo poo, or even preemptively port and med up in weird zones like Tox or WKar if you're worried about death while AFK. They are great for AE groups, PVP, raid DPS, and ports/TL and garbage at everything else, so take that under advisement.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 7, 2017

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
If you are single, I suggest soloing a rogue or warrior to 60.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

moolchaba posted:

If you want to be and remain single, I suggest soloing a rogue or warrior to 60.

Ahem

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

FranktheBank posted:

Fear kiting does require a little more room and attention than root rotting, but it's actually really easy. Approach fear kiting as if it were a slow-moving stunlock, because that's what it is. Undead charming is yet another option, but more involved than the other two.

The necro toolkit (of spells and gear) gives a ton of utility for both solo and group play. Raid options are somewhat diminished, but don't let that deter you. It's one of the most versatile classes you can pick.

Other solo classes with innate racial hide for AFK purposes include: wood elf druid, halfling druid, dark elf wizard, dark elf enchanter, and dark elf mage. Not really an option for shamans, but they're (expensive) powerhouses in their own right.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Okay, started a HE Enchanter and as of last night I'm level 4 and slowly climbing. Dumped 25 points into CHA, as per suggestions, and am already in love with the ability to break apart camps with lull and save my rear end with mesmerize. Thanks to Fangthane, Anarch, and D-Tron for the tips. I want to play to level 12 to make sure I even like the class before making special efforts for gear, but the Gaz Ring will be the first on my list. Fortunately I can use my shaman to finance anything I'd need. The character's name is Zephress, and I might send a /tell to say hi if I see any of you online.

Amish
Nov 26, 2004

Murder is on the menu.

shirunei posted:

It only took me way too many hours I'm never getting back and a yearlong test of endurance but the best looking EQ robe is now mine.

Very pretty!

I dug up this screenshot from about 17-18 years ago. I kept this robe in my inventory as a cleric because I liked how it looked.

EDIT: Found one of my awesome rainbow pimp armor, too.

Amish fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 7, 2017

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Amish posted:

Luclin models

Dude, gross.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Philonius posted:

Good to hear.

Rolled up Philonius, barbarian shaman. First few levels were pretty tough, it seems there's very few level 1 mobs in Everfrost, but now I can clumsily beat the guards outside of Blackburrow to death, so things are picking up!

Side note: hearing that decaying skeleton cackling laugh for the first time in 15 years gave me a pretty heavy dose of nostalgia :unsmith:

Barb shaman update : Spent some time outside blackburrow farming gnoll fangs at level 7, met a wizard who offered to powerlevel me to 9 in blackburrow so I could cast SoW on him. He was rather patient as without a damage shield the DPS had to come from me whacking stuff with my staff. The next day grouped up a bit with a higher level iksar monk who was grinding faction in Blackburrow. Gave me a velium staff and mace, significant upgrade to my worn greatstaff :) In general I've had a very good experience with the community on this server so far, received many drive-by buffs and people seem pretty friendly.

Delved deeper into blackburrow later, to help two lower levelled players with a corpse recovery. Guy was playing with his eight year old son, and the kid had fallen for the fake floor trap in the tree stump :) . None of these interactions would have happened in most modern MMOs. I play FFXIV too, and while I love that game to death the only interaction I have with random people is saying 'hello' when the dungeon finders puts us together in an instance, and 'thanks for the run' twenty minutes later when the last boss is dead. You don't have much choice in that either, if you're not on voice comms the combat is too fast paced to type.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
After practicing on the orcs, it is time to get down to business. I have arrived.

Tales of a ghost haunting the mansion of Unrest have me eager to purge its undead inhabitants within. But first... the beetles. So many beetles! :argh:

It is clear at this early stage in my journey that I cannot yet handle the legions of undead on my own. Though I disapprove of their lawless ways, the rogues do have their uses.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
I'm ashamed that I recognize what dungeon you're in by the wall textures in Unrest.

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.
Unrest is fantastic. I love that haunted house motif in games. Plus the story behind it is pretty nice. Over all, I think what keeps to nostalgia of this game alive for me are the stories that you find lying around. Kunark had some campy but good writing on some of the zones (City of Mist, Sebilis, Howling Stones Etc) that keeps them interesting when coupled with how they're laid out.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
I was actually in Unrest earlier today on my troll Sk twink but as usual the place is way too packed and I went back to Oasis and Upper Guk. Unrest has issues with powerlevelers pulling everything, fungi twinks claiming main room, incompetent fireplace groups training the lower levels, and yard trash being terrible exp in a group at around level 15+. I love the look and lore of the place but it's incredibly overrated.

Athropos fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 8, 2017

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I'd love to group up for Unrest, I've just hit 16 on my druid. Some random person gave me like 150 plat for no reason and I found a cheap springwood club, so all told life's going pretty okay. I should probably look into other gear to keep an eye out for though.

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.
The unrest tower is great solo xp from like the early 30s-40. The mob that drops the bloodstained tunic spawns there, with two hags. The pot just inside the door is actually a safe area so you can med pretty well even with spawns. Used to lull one hag, use the middle spawn to get the other, then take out the last spawn with the roamer in the hall. Good drops for newbies to sell/give away/equip and good xp. A lot easier there than the basement. If you need to run you can just jump out the window and hightail it outta there.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Athropos posted:

I was actually in Unrest earlier today on my troll Sk twink but as usual the place is way too packed and I went back to Oasis and Upper Guk. Unrest has issues with powerlevelers pulling everything, fungi twinks claiming main room, incompetent fireplace groups training the lower levels, and yard trash being terrible exp in a group at around level 15+. I love the look and lore of the place but it's incredibly overrated.

They have a policy against zone disruption, which I feel you would have grounds for in a smaller zone like Unrest if powerleveling druids were being obnoxious.

As for the terrible pullers and trains, for me, that's part of the charm of the place. :v:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Siets posted:

They have a policy against zone disruption
Fortunately or unfortunately, this is all about which guides are online. Unrest is one of the few places on blue where people who aren't bards violate this rule, but if no one is available it doesn't get enforced. You can fight it by ripping mobs off of PLers pulls (totally legit w/ server rules as long as they have more than 4 aggro) but if no guides are around you may get countertrained without recourse. The PLer can handle a few hags, but no one else will be able to, so enjoy the "I accidentally fell in the pit again" pull while you're trying to kill a carrion ghoul with your fireplace group.

All of that said, unrest is still among the best zones in the game for 13-35. EQ is just special in that other people can gently caress that up for you in at least 10 interestingly different ways!

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

shirunei posted:

Sorry buddy but you're factually incorrect :colbert:

(Cryosilk Robe / Robe of the Whistling Fists)

Amish posted:

Very pretty!

I dug up this screenshot from about 17-18 years ago. I kept this robe in my inventory as a cleric because I liked how it looked.

Apart from the horrific Luclin models (it could have been at the most 15 years ago), the robe was probably Robe of Living Fungus, in case you want to look for it again. It's cheap to buy on P99. Good starter robe for monks also.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Necro charming is almost like cheating compared to enc. the downside is the scarcity of undead.

With the lucklin xpac they finally got an analog for all the relevant spells, you could charm solo lord in lguk At 50.

Would be nice if not game breaking if they allowed lucklin Aa's n spells.

I would roll a wiz immediately and go mananurn 100k dragons with a burn group.

Even post mb nerf wizards were off the chain for the next few xpacs

Crit crit crit crit goes sunstrike/ garrisons superior sundering.

Op nostalgia :D

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Herv posted:

Necro charming is almost like cheating compared to enc. the downside is the scarcity of undead.

With the lucklin xpac they finally got an analog for all the relevant spells, you could charm solo lord in lguk At 50.

Would be nice if not game breaking if they allowed lucklin Aa's n spells.

I would roll a wiz immediately and go mananurn 100k dragons with a burn group.

Even post mb nerf wizards were off the chain for the next few xpacs

Crit crit crit crit goes sunstrike/ garrisons superior sundering.

Op nostalgia :D

It was shocking at the time how weak wizards went in Velious to how dominant they were in Luclin. Once you got the AAs built up it was like night and day.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

DeathSandwich posted:

It was shocking at the time how weak wizards went in Velious to how dominant they were in Luclin. Once you got the AAs built up it was like night and day.

I miss my manaburn squad :(

I was the druid pulling dragons for 5 wizards and a necro (maybe it was 4 wizards and a necro I dunno).

The funny part was when lifeburn hit and the dragon ate the necro.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

shirunei posted:

:D

DeathSandwich posted:

Yah a few things all came together for luclin. Epic 1.0, Mount, Mana Robe was about FT 30 on top of medding iirc. Grouping a wiz outside or in an open plane was bard-like with all the weaving. Add about 150 aa and they were just death machines. Fear raids were hilarious with 3,500 Sunstrike crits popping off all the time.

Concussion, -400 hate was finally needed and what separated you from all other nukers. Mages and druids would get boss summoned even though you were 10,000 dmg ahead of him on the hate list. The DPS levels were so out of wack. Once you got Ancient: Greater Concussion it was -600 hate per hit which boosted DPS even further.

e: forgot to mention that concussion worked whether resisted or not. Hate is hate on a resisted or landed nuke, same for concussion. Total game changer that spell.

Ancient: Destruction of Ice was the most efficient nuke in the game so even inside you were blasting poo poo for little mana.

It was not uncommon for my wizard to parse 100k damage on the VT bosses.

That class boost was justified though, there was no compelling reason to want to play my ancient october 99 wizard before that.

Herv fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Very nice! I remember being peeved that it didn't have the Rune 4 click like every other velious class set for chanters.

Can't decide between Iksar Shaman and Human Bard for the next toon to farm a Guardian Robe on. Maybe a mage to really juke people out? I am sick in the head.