Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

If you block someone does the iMessage show as delivered from the senders text?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

bobfather posted:

Guilty until proven innocent, these days!

Also the ruling is specific to an overly broad search warrant. I think impliedly it would have been fine if they said "we want this specific person to unlock this specific device for <probable cause>" although there aren't a lot of cases in the area yet, but that seems to be the way the wind is blowing.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Let it go, she's not interested anymore, Todd.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I think it shows sent as a text message on the senders end.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I tested this out last year and if I remember correctly it does. To the sender everything looks like a regular iMessage. The person blocking just never receives it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Dogen posted:

Also the ruling is specific to an overly broad search warrant. I think impliedly it would have been fine if they said "we want this specific person to unlock this specific device for <probable cause>" although there aren't a lot of cases in the area yet, but that seems to be the way the wind is blowing.

As someone who works in this area, what do you think of this whole concept of "dumb criminal documents their dumb escapades on their phone"?

I mean, in ye olde days if a serial killer was using a 35mm camera to document their kills, yes absolutely the police would be able to get access to that camera, the film in it, and even the home if there was suspected to be an in-home camera lab. Nobody would think twice about granting those warrants.

These days though, phones can hold so much incriminating evidence if you aren't careful. If the police can compel you to unlock it, they now not only have your serial killer pictures, but also your contacts, websites you browse, password access, etc.

Which actually brings me to a question - do you think after being compelled to unlock a phone via TouchID that a suspect could then be compelled to unlock a password vault like 1Pass or Keepass via TouchID? Obviously they wouldn't ask them to unlock LastPass because the Feds probably already have access to it.

Is your basic recommendation when talking to people "if you're going to do something dumb, don't loving keep the evidence in your phone?"

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

bobfather posted:

As someone who works in this area, what do you think of this whole concept of "dumb criminal documents their dumb escapades on their phone"?

I mean, in ye olde days if a serial killer was using a 35mm camera to document their kills, yes absolutely the police would be able to get access to that camera, the film in it, and even the home if there was suspected to be an in-home camera lab. Nobody would think twice about granting those warrants.

These days though, phones can hold so much incriminating evidence if you aren't careful. If the police can compel you to unlock it, they now not only have your serial killer pictures, but also your contacts, websites you browse, password access, etc.

Which actually brings me to a question - do you think after being compelled to unlock a phone via TouchID that a suspect could then be compelled to unlock a password vault like 1Pass or Keepass via TouchID? Obviously they wouldn't ask them to unlock LastPass because the Feds probably already have access to it.

Is your basic recommendation when talking to people "if you're going to do something dumb, don't loving keep the evidence in your phone?"

Well, yes, but also there is the question of "does their phone get unlocked and searched simply for existing" as opposed to the camera in your example where its usage in the crimes is known before the warrant is granted.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Grassy Knowles posted:

Well, yes, but also there is the question of "does their phone get unlocked and searched simply for existing" as opposed to the camera in your example where its usage in the crimes is known before the warrant is granted.

My (completely limited) understanding of the justice system is that all you need is to convince a judge that you have probable cause to believe that the <item in question> (35mm camera, phone, etc) has evidence related to the crime. If judge says yeah and issues a warrant, now the police have access to your device.

The next question is, would they have to go back to the judge with probable cause to believe that your password vault would give them further access to more evidence of the crime, or does getting access to the phone via TouchID mean they could ask you to authenticate a password manager via TouchID also?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

decypher posted:

Let it go, she's not interested anymore, Todd.

I've dropped the hammer on every form of communication I've had and no response. Time for a Polaroid and carrier pigeon

Social Animal posted:

I tested this out last year and if I remember correctly it does. To the sender everything looks like a regular iMessage. The person blocking just never receives it.

Thanks. Good to know

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

bobfather posted:

My (completely limited) understanding of the justice system is that all you need is to convince a judge that you have probable cause to believe that the <item in question> (35mm camera, phone, etc) has evidence related to the crime. If judge says yeah and issues a warrant, now the police have access to your device.

The next question is, would they have to go back to the judge with probable cause to believe that your password vault would give them further access to more evidence of the crime, or does getting access to the phone via TouchID mean they could ask you to authenticate a password manager via TouchID also?

I don't know whether they would have to get a separate warrant for that, but I think they could if they could demonstrate a need for that information.

There just isn't a lot of law in the area yet, I think they are relying on the (relatively in legal terms) recent distinction between whether someone can be compelled to reveal a safe combination versus produce a key to unlock a safe, which is all based on non-binding text from a Supreme Court opinion.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

bobfather posted:

Obviously they wouldn't ask them to unlock LastPass because the Feds probably already have access to

But it's so cheap and convenient!

I love my insecure and slightly sketchy LastPass.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Krispy Kareem posted:

But it's so cheap and convenient!

I love my insecure and slightly sketchy LastPass.

This. Convenience is king.

MasonReese
Oct 8, 2004

This is gross misconduct!
I have noticed that Handoff icons in the bottom left hand of the lock screen sometimes have a red tint and sometimes not. Is it borrowing color from the rest of the lock screen or is it trying to tell me something?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

We got a 6 that is having a hard time charging. If you apply pressure it makes contact but with no pressure it stops. Any ideas?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

We got a 6 that is having a hard time charging. If you apply pressure it makes contact but with no pressure it stops. Any ideas?

Toothpick to get the lint out.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

MasonReese posted:

I have noticed that Handoff icons in the bottom left hand of the lock screen sometimes have a red tint and sometimes not. Is it borrowing color from the rest of the lock screen or is it trying to tell me something?

I think it takes from the wallpaper, since my wallpaper is predominantly blue, as are my Handoff icons. I swear they didn't always do that and I haven't changed my lock screen wallpaper in a while, but maybe I'm just crazy.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'd forgotten all about Handoff. In looking at it again, I've just discovered that if you're listening to a podcast on Overcast on your phone and don't have the app installed on the iPad, it'll Handoff as a Safari tab to overcast.fm and jump to your currently played position in its podcast web player.

edit: Incidentally, is it possible to sync your play/download/etc settings to Overcast for the sake of keeping that stuff backed up on a per-device basis? I'd like to have the Overcast app on my iPad but don't want it to download like on my phone, only stream. I used the web player on my iPad but it doesn't support Smart Speed.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Customs & Border Protection can't indefinitely detain you for failing to unlock a phone, at least not without a judge getting involved, ordering you to unlock the phone, and you refusing to do so. And getting a judge to do that would generally involve some type of probable cause, not just "I'm crossing the border." They can detain you for a limited period of time for questioning, take your phone, and if not a US citizen, refuse you entry. There's a decent amount of information out there about these searches and what they can do, Here's the EFF's take on it.

For iPhones/iPads, if you're concerned about warrantless searches at the border but still want the convenience of TouchID, just turn off your devices before approaching the border. iOS requires the passcode to be entered before re-enabling touchID after being powered on/rebooted or after 48 hours of inactivity.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Thanks!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

fordan posted:

or after 48 hours of inactivity.
I believe iOS 9 reduced this to 8 hours if you haven't unlocked with your passcode within the last 6 days.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fordan posted:

Customs & Border Protection can't indefinitely detain you for failing to unlock a phone, at least not without a judge getting involved, ordering you to unlock the phone, and you refusing to do so. And getting a judge to do that would generally involve some type of probable cause, not just "I'm crossing the border." They can detain you for a limited period of time for questioning, take your phone, and if not a US citizen, refuse you entry. There's a decent amount of information out there about these searches and what they can do, Here's the EFF's take on it.

For iPhones/iPads, if you're concerned about warrantless searches at the border but still want the convenience of TouchID, just turn off your devices before approaching the border. iOS requires the passcode to be entered before re-enabling touchID after being powered on/rebooted or after 48 hours of inactivity.
This is generally true, but there's a couple additional things to note. They can't indefinitely detain you if you are a US citizen. They have to let you through, but they do not have to let you take your possessions with you. If you're being noncompliant, don't expect to be leaving with your phone that you are refusing to unlock. If you're not a citizen, they can turn you back. I believe this even applies to resident aliens, in addition to people just visiting for vacation or whatever.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I believe iOS 9 reduced this to 8 hours if you haven't unlocked with your passcode within the last 6 days.

This would certainly explain why I wake up some mornings and have to put in my passcode.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is there a way to delete the Siri cache for voices/accents you don't use? I feel like they probably use up a shitload of space.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They aren't downloaded.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Is there a way to get rid of the records of anyone or any group you've ever texted?

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Question Mark Mound posted:

edit: Incidentally, is it possible to sync your play/download/etc settings to Overcast for the sake of keeping that stuff backed up on a per-device basis? I'd like to have the Overcast app on my iPad but don't want it to download like on my phone, only stream. I used the web player on my iPad but it doesn't support Smart Speed.

Yes, you can have it set like that and it should remember which audio option you have set for each show

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

10 Beers posted:

Is there a way to get rid of the records of anyone or any group you've ever texted?

What "records"? The carrier has all that stuff and I doubt they're going to purge it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

10 Beers posted:

Literally nuke every datacenter belonging to your wireless provider.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

10 Beers posted:

What have you done?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

10 Beers posted:

If it's iMessage just delete the thread from all of your devices and hope they don't also look at your counterpart's stuff, and/or iCloud backups.

If it's SMS/MMS, you're hosed because your carrier has those logs.

Edit: no guarantees on whether the messages local database is leaky. I seem to recall one of those twitter forensics dudes saying so but who knows if they're right or if that's been fixed in recent releases.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Lol your carrier keeps text logs? Jesus Christ. I sincerely don't mean to keep steering this to a tin foil hat thread but, come on. Why is it just accepted that our private conversations are logged by anyone?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

GoldfishStew posted:

Lol your carrier keeps text logs? Jesus Christ. I sincerely don't mean to keep steering this to a tin foil hat thread but, come on. Why is it just accepted that our private conversations are logged by anyone?

Who said your txt messages were private?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They have metadata, at the very least. It's on your bill. Whether they keep the actual content probably depends on the specific carrier's policies, but the metadata's not going anywhere.

Not that any of that matters. The NSA keeps the full text.

And yeah, what gave you the idea that a messaging system intended to send codes to cell towers was in any way private?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
If you think you're being targeted by police, you can assume they're tapping your calls and texts because that's easy.

If you're just being tinfoil hat for no real reason then yeah your carrier isn't going to waste that time. I'm just going to assume 10 beers knows what he did.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
There's plenty of secure non-SMS ways to send messages. SMS was just a hacky accidental way to send messages in a time before security could ever have even been a concern for the people using it.

The Gillman posted:

Yes, you can have it set like that and it should remember which audio option you have set for each show
Awesome, thanks! I assumed changing the download setting on one device would change them all, but I guess "sync" means something else in Overcast.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 10, 2017

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

My battery / battery meter has been acting screwy. It does this every once in awhile but it seemed particularly bad today. When I pulled it off the dock this morning it was reading 90%, which seemed a bit odd for it being plugged in overnight, halfway to work it just up and shut-off without any warning or low battery messages. Trying to turn it out gave the low power thing. Got to work and plugged it in and after a minute or two it powered on and the battery read around 60%. Let it charge for maybe 5-10 minutes, then took it off and maybe after 5 minutes of use it gave me a under 10% warning and the battery read 1%.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

What phone? How old is it? How old is the battery? I'm guessing it's probably an older device, 2-4 years on the battery? Sounds to me like your battery is hosed and you need a new one. Erratic behaviour like that is usually what people report. The OS/an app going crazy wouldn't swing it that much that quickly.

Luckily it's pretty cheap to get a new battery. Lots of repair shops everywhere are used to it. Apple will sell you an OEM battery and warranty it, but it will be more expensive.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm gonna guess it's 6s or 6s+

Call it a hunch

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm gonna guess it's 6s or 6s+

Call it a hunch

My day-one 6S still only gets down to 70-80% after a full day including an underground/no signal commute.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lucky you. When I brought my + in for a different issue, there was a queue of people ahead of me all with 6s models with battery issues.

I'm gonna just eat the repair cost I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pivo posted:

What phone? How old is it? How old is the battery? I'm guessing it's probably an older device, 2-4 years on the battery? Sounds to me like your battery is hosed and you need a new one. Erratic behaviour like that is usually what people report. The OS/an app going crazy wouldn't swing it that much that quickly.

Luckily it's pretty cheap to get a new battery. Lots of repair shops everywhere are used to it. Apple will sell you an OEM battery and warranty it, but it will be more expensive.

5s, so it is 2-3 years old now. Guess I'll look into getting he battery replaced. Didn't know that was possible with iphones.