Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Koesj posted:

HW was the CIA Director in 1976 and '77.

Yeah I read that after I posted. Still funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I can't believe nobody has made a Derek Zoolander Center For Children Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too yet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Clamps McGraw posted:

You've got the dumbest red text I've ever seen. How did you possibly piss someone off enough about wallpaper that they spend :10bux: on it

It's a sort of running joke in D&D UKMT, a lot of people in there have really sill redtexts, we aren't sure who is doing it but mine honestly is far from the best, there's some really good ones in there.

Also:

quote:

Sick Transit, Glorious Money

makes me unreasonably angry because it's an excellent and terrible pun.

Baronjutter posted:

The zepplin based transport is very silly. At least the others are all actual working real world forms of transport. Disapointed they aren't touching trams or adding trams unlocked through this dlc. Paradox has begun having paid-features unlocked from multiple DLC's, unlocking trams with this DLC seems obvious.

I also assume their increased funding control will be like a half-way point between improved transit control mod and vanilla so everyone will just keep using the mod. Just like when they added themes but with a much worse interface and worse functionality than the mod they were responding to.

Zeppelins make as much sense as planes :shrug:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I really would love an optional game rule set that focused on alternate reality simulations. So like a City of Tomorrow retro future ruleset with buildings. Dystopian future set. Steampunk world. Post apocalypse wasteland. Each with their own challenges and aesthetics. I guess that would just be a different game. I'm mostly imagining a changing of values for things like crime or health or education, etc, where some things are worse or better in some settings. Setting specific buildings and civics choices. Specific "disasters".

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Zeppelins are cool and good. :colbert:

Unless of course they are filled with nazi vampires who torch the place and turn the population into ghouls.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

I really would love an optional game rule set that focused on alternate reality simulations. So like a City of Tomorrow retro future ruleset with buildings. Dystopian future set. Steampunk world. Post apocalypse wasteland. Each with their own challenges and aesthetics. I guess that would just be a different game. I'm mostly imagining a changing of values for things like crime or health or education, etc, where some things are worse or better in some settings. Setting specific buildings and civics choices. Specific "disasters".

Before I sort of gave up on trying to get a well-oiled good mod list without it being laggy/load forever, I was set on making a mix of near future, heavily inspired by the art here: http://www.simonstalenhag.se/

A winter map with European buildings combined with a lot of the sci-fi sets in the workshop actually does create the perfect blend of contemporary stuff with a vaguely near future that hits the aesthetic just right.

It's just too bad I can't seem to enjoy the game for other more game related reasons or I'd do it. Really wish it had a better "game" behind the zen garden, because while that part rocks it doesn't hold my attention.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Is there a more effective way to weed out broken and missing assets then manually hunting them down? I've got 1650 assets loading, and 350 of them are somehow listed as 'missing'.

Zero grinder
Sep 25, 2010
Fun Shoe

Suspect Bucket posted:

Is there a more effective way to weed out broken and missing assets then manually hunting them down? I've got 1650 assets loading, and 350 of them are somehow listed as 'missing'.

The loading screen mod has an export log as HTML file function, which shows missing assets arranged onto a list and with links (if possible). But you still have to go trough them manually unfortunately.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

In my experience a majority of missing assets are going to be props that have been removed from the workshop or missed during subscription. I just ignore the majority of them.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Subyng posted:

I can't believe nobody has made a Derek Zoolander Center For Children Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too yet.

There is one, an early workshop edition: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416492685
my fav comment is: "I have a one-way street next to mine. You can only turn right!"

Anyway, I've been working on making an accurate-as-possible model of Seattle and am wondering what are the best tools for getting the best screenshots? Is there a good mod for getting better camera angles? Any other tips before I try?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I'm glad the new expansion will finally address the lack of depth in this game's transport systems, the real issue we were all having with this game was that it didn't have cable cars.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Red Bones posted:

I'm glad the new expansion will finally address the lack of depth in this game's transport systems, the real issue we were all having with this game was that it didn't have cable cars.

Hey, to be fair there are mods on the workshop that add realistic slope limits to road/track sections, so running one of those on a mountain map will finally simulate a south American mountain city.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrocable_(Medellín)

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 5, 2017

ChairmanGoesWoof
Jul 12, 2016
A ferry, blimp and monorail expansion? Finally my cities will be able to compete with Brockway, Ogdenville and North Haverbrook!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There's a guy named inthoughtwelive on Reddit who is recreating Oakland. People in the comments of his posts have been talking about how realistic it is, and I had sort of blown them off.

Until today, because someone posted a screenshot from Google Maps.

:stare:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

It's worth looking at that guy's whole post history. His Oakland stuff is amazing and the handful of stuff he posted before it is really good too. I grew up in Oakland so it's pretty crazy to see such a faithful recreation of it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

turn off the TV posted:

There's a guy named inthoughtwelive on Reddit who is recreating Oakland. People in the comments of his posts have been talking about how realistic it is, and I had sort of blown them off.

Until today, because someone posted a screenshot from Google Maps.

:stare:

:dogbutton:

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
That guy's stuff is amazing, it barely looks like the same game. Which is a little saddening, because the game it looks like he's playing seems way better than the one we are playing. Some of his other screenshots really drive home how much the lack of medium density zoning and different income levels hurt.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Sheriff posted:

That guy's stuff is amazing, it barely looks like the same game. Which is a little saddening, because the game it looks like he's playing seems way better than the one we are playing. Some of his other screenshots really drive home how much the lack of medium density zoning and different income levels hurt.

100% agree.

Are there easy to find galleries of real city recreations with comparisons, or is it kind of just stumble across whatever gets posted on reddit?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

ToastyPotato posted:

100% agree.

Are there easy to find galleries of real city recreations with comparisons, or is it kind of just stumble across whatever gets posted on reddit?

The latter. The Cities subreddit is the best place I'm aware of to look at cool pictures of other people's cities. A lot of trash gets posted of course but there is some really impressive work mixed in there.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sheriff posted:

A large part of what's making his game look so good is the map theme's atmospheric and lighting settings, a complimentary LUT, and disabling tone mapping with Ultimate Eyecandy.

quote:

Daylight Classic
Monte Belo 4k Theme
Bonita Vista Valley LUT
American Roads Modified w/ Roads United Core+ Mod
American Traffic Lights
Adaptive Prop Visibility Distance
Sharper Textures
Dynamic Resolution
Network Extensions 2
Prop Precision
Cinematic Camera Extended
RICO
Remove Decoration Sprites
Clouds & Fog Toggler
No Radioactive Desert and more
Ultimate Eyecandy
Surface Painter
LOD Toggler
Softer Shadows

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

turn off the TV posted:

A large part of what's making his game look so good is the map theme's atmospheric and lighting settings, a complimentary LUT, and disabling tone mapping with Ultimate Eyecandy.

Thanks for posting that list, I saw it the other day on his post but forgot to save it. While you're right, especially regarding the example you posted, what really got me pining for a more robust game were these two:

These shots just have so much, I don't know, character in them compared to what you can accomplish with the base game and honestly even most mods (unless you're willing to manually RICO plop every aspect of your city). It reminds me so much of Sim City 4, where the differing income levels and density made neighborhoods feel unique.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The biggest problem with the base game in terms of having cities that never make you think "woah is this google maps??" is that all buildings are pretty much 4x4. It looks weird when every single building is pretty much the same size. In these screenshots you've got everything from tiny little houses to huge super-block filling developments. The assets he's using also tend to go for the more photo-realistic look rather than the slightly more cartoonish vanilla assets.

I'd so love a city builder that took its aesthetic more from google maps. I don't mind if most of the buildings are fairly low poly shapes with textures on top if there was a huge variety of them or better yet some sort of semi-procedural generation.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sheriff posted:

Thanks for posting that list, I saw it the other day on his post but forgot to save it. While you're right, especially regarding the example you posted, what really got me pining for a more robust game were these two:

These shots just have so much, I don't know, character in them compared to what you can accomplish with the base game and honestly even most mods (unless you're willing to manually RICO plop every aspect of your city). It reminds me so much of Sim City 4, where the differing income levels and density made neighborhoods feel unique.

You actually picked two screenshots that would probably be the easiest ones to recreate. Most of those buildings look like growables, just with some nice prop details, but not as many as it would have taken to make his industrial area.

You can contrast this with any number of the highly detailed but poorly lighted screenshots found on reddit. Just choosing good assets and better lighting goes a very, very long way.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Sheriff posted:

It is definitely true that vanilla C:S is very very basic, but I've never understood this particular strain of "SC4 was better". Getting ultra-realistic looking cities in SC4 also involved installing thousands of mods/assets and hand plopping every building and prop.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

It is definitely true that vanilla C:S is very very basic, but I've never understood this particular strain of "SC4 was better". Getting ultra-realistic looking cities in SC4 also involved installing thousands of mods/assets and hand plopping every building and prop.

It's art man....

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

I feel like I was able to get better looking neighborhoods with default assets in SC4 than CS. There was a lot more variety. The only mod I ever used in SC4 was NAM.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sim City 4 has been out for over a decade longer. People have had more time to pick it apart and figure out how to shove it to its limits.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's mainly the wealth/density thing. It leaves a huge hole in C:S.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Also a lot of the buildings in C:S just don't quite look like real buildings.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

ToastyPotato posted:

I feel like I was able to get better looking neighborhoods with default assets in SC4 than CS. There was a lot more variety. The only mod I ever used in SC4 was NAM.
SC4 was a lot less 'cartoony.'

And this is a game where you did skywriting missions for the Insidious Dr. Vu.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah. Visual variety and the pre-rendered lots keep don't age as badly. I'm not sure what the term is technically, but its sorta comparable to The Sims 1 where they had the same sorta style going on:

With the exception of the actual people walking around, its pretty visually appealing despite being from sixteen whole years ago. I'm guessing this is sorta what people mean when they say Simcity 4 still "looks" better than CS:S.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

People were gushing at the new Simcity's art style and going on about how it's so nice to see a game with an obvious art style and not just bland terrible "realism" but I personally really hate cartoony styles and want that fine-grained realistic look in my city builders.

If any "art style" I'd almost want a slightly low-res photo-realism like google maps 3d view. I associate that so much with real cities and real maps now.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Sheriff posted:

Two things about those pictures that strike me immediately, and probably help the "character" feeling:

1) Things look fairly realistically dirty and worn.
2) There is parking that looks at least partially appropriate.

Neither of those come from the base game as I remember it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The most realistic-looking cities will always be the ones where most everything is planned and laid out by hand block by block and lot by lot because that's how real cities are built over time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

mutata posted:

The most realistic-looking cities will always be the ones where most everything is planned and laid out by hand block by block and lot by lot because that's how real cities are built over time.
That's only fully true for something centrally planned like the post WW2 English cities, which are occasionally admonished in the context of city games for looking like a default city game.

Cities built over time are done so by individual actors making decisions based on the prevailing economic situation and civic policies, which is perfect fodder for a computer simulation to ape, if not copy well. And its easier to call SimCity doing that. Skylines however, no simulation call is ever making a real decision. The RCI is always "yes please" and then the same basic level 1 building is built ad infinitum and then it levels up when it gets the correct services.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

One thing SC4 got right was having multiple building styles that get rotated in and out on a cycle, meaning you at least get a bit of variation between areas built at different times.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
A while back someone was asking about building a university, this dude made a whole university, (like 20 assets)

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198024248108/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710

He didn't make a quad, you can still make one with that modular park, or I can make one real quick if anyone wants.

e: gently caress I just realized I made a ton of good depressing communist parks that I really should upload to the workshop. Does anyone know how to add the "needed subscribed props" that's on the right of the asset page in the thing when you look at it?

Sorry I'm not making much sense, I am half awake and I took a sleeping pill.

I really must stop downloading stuff. I'm at 3344 assets. But... I cant stop :f5:

Also everyone needs to get this mod. It takes your loading time down crazily. I went from 20+ minutes to 3.5 minutes to load up a city.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=667342976

this is the version that pops out a file saying what's missing so I prefer this one
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=667342976

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 8, 2017

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thin Privilege posted:

A while back someone was asking about building a university, this dude made a whole university, (like 20 assets)

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198024248108/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710

I use this, it is good.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

PC Gamer had a writer watch a demo of the new expansion pack. The only new information was that some sort of intersection editor is being added, and he sort of confirmed that the public transport management is basically the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jesus this is the same game? Wow. I need to try that list of mods.