Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Wow I've never heard anyone talk about that game. Seems like a pretty basic platformer but for the time these cutscenes seem kind of loving incredible??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKF3IVqljTk

e: sorry I know not an FPS I just don't know why this popped into my head and how I've missed it all these years

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The worlds needs more cutesy mods like Adventures of Square, Shadow of the wool ball, and Chex Quest 3.

I'm also eagerly awaiting golden souls 2...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yodzilla posted:

Wow I've never heard anyone talk about that game. Seems like a pretty basic platformer but for the time these cutscenes seem kind of loving incredible??

e: sorry I know not an FPS I just don't know why this popped into my head and how I've missed it all these years

These are my feelings towards Eternam; super obscure, but fun, and amazing at-the-time animations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Yodzilla posted:

Monolith also made a reference to Claw in Shogo. I think you pick up some sort of toy modeled after the main character.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I had a demo for Captain Claw. I liked it.

My mom discovered that I say "poo poo" when she's not around while I was playing it :v:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

Monolith also made a reference to Claw in Shogo. I think you pick up some sort of toy modeled after the main character.

It goes "Captain Claw!!!" every time you trigger it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Narcissus1916 posted:

The worlds needs more cutesy mods like Adventures of Square, Shadow of the wool ball, and Chex Quest 3.

I'm also eagerly awaiting golden souls 2...

There's a mod for Zdoom/GZdoom called Hate Busters, formerly Sticky Gals (because the characters were based on stick figures originally).

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=52611

Does a lot of cute, also a lot of general cheery design. Originally it was just the textures and weapon/monster changes for any doom or doom II level, now they're working towards having a full campaign of maps.

Personally I still like version 2 of the initial Sticky Gals mod for layering on Slaughter maps

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

This game was not mind blowing but it was definately a Good Game. Check it out if you like platformers from earlier days of PC gaming.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

fishmech posted:

There's a mod for Zdoom/GZdoom called Hate Busters, formerly Sticky Gals (because the characters were based on stick figures originally).

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=52611

Does a lot of cute, also a lot of general cheery design. Originally it was just the textures and weapon/monster changes for any doom or doom II level, now they're working towards having a full campaign of maps.

Personally I still like version 2 of the initial Sticky Gals mod for layering on Slaughter maps

Yeah I really liked the old version of that. I was kinda bummed when the author scrapped the enemy and texture changes. Is there a link available somewhere yet?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Negrostrike posted:

Yeah I really liked the old version of that. I was kinda bummed when the author scrapped the enemy and texture changes. Is there a link available somewhere yet?

I had the .WAD in my Doom folder from back when Vinesauce did a playthrough of it, so here you go!

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=71024526279025247979

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Cephalectomy posted:

This game was not mind blowing but it was definately a Good Game. Check it out if you like platformers from earlier days of PC gaming.

I had a review of it in UK PC Gamer where I recall they basically said it was decent, but was a bit of a relic and the time for 2D platformers had passed. Little did they know, 2D platformers would become a big thing again in the 21st century.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It's kind of a shame that the disdain for 2D games basically killed Jazz Jackrabbit 3 - not because it was 2D itself (it wasn't), but because its predecessor was 2D and as a result didn't sell quite as well as it needed to to convince publishers to back JJ3.

Cuz, I mean, the leaked prototype for it was a pretty fun third-person shooter? And an all-ages one, too, which is somewhat uncommon, even today.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I'm still kinda sad we never got a Keen 3D from id. Apparently Tom Hall was pretty bummed out about it as well :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Is there a Duke3D map/mod that has all of the maps put together, like that one from Doom/Doom 2? I know that with the BUILD engine, there's a general size limitation, but I thought maybe with eDuke, there was a way around that nowadays, no?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Shadow Hog posted:

It's kind of a shame that the disdain for 2D games basically killed Jazz Jackrabbit 3 - not because it was 2D itself (it wasn't), but because its predecessor was 2D and as a result didn't sell quite as well as it needed to to convince publishers to back JJ3.

Cuz, I mean, the leaked prototype for it was a pretty fun third-person shooter? And an all-ages one, too, which is somewhat uncommon, even today.

Wasn't there a huge outcry when Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was first shown in magazines because it wasn't 3D? Metroid Prime's previews were hit with a lot of criticism for the opposite reason.

And nowadays they are routinely put on "Greatest Games Ever Made" lists. Go figure!

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Shadow Hog posted:

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 came with a Pentium II 233 we bought back in the day. Although it was some special OEM version that had buggy local multiplayer (crashed every 10 mins or so) and was missing the level editor. :(
Really cool game though. The homing rockets I remember being especially good and the local multiplayer deathmatch was awesome while it wasn't crashing.

Anyway this should be in a 2D Platformer Megathread. We also need an Early Third-Person Shooter Megathread so I can talk about MDK.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
MDK yessss

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Nition posted:

We also need an Early Third-Person Shooter Megathread so I can talk about MDK.
Totally was an FPS while you were in sniper mode. :colbert:

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
OK so, MDK is the best. It's not really an FPS but:

Developed by Shiny, creators of Earthworm Jim, and released in 1997. MDK has style that other games wish they had.

Environments of every sort:

Sometimes so crazy that they can be momentarily confusing to navigate, I'll admit.

First game ever to have a sniper scope:

Fun boss fights.

Actual humour throughout that doesn't feel forced.

And the most unexpected ending that I've ever seen in a game. This music video with a live-action actor dressed as the main character that comes out of nowhere.

Nition fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 9, 2017

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Nition posted:

And the most unexpected ending that I've ever seen in a game. This music video with a live-action actor dressed as the main character that comes out of nowhere.

Man, Shiny were loving weird. And I kinda loved them for it.

Never played MDK, but MDK 2 on the Dreamcast was my poo poo.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I never played MDK 2, but I do remember PC Gamer giving it a very positive review. It wasn't made by Shiny though, it was made by BioWare.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Man, Shiny were loving weird. And I kinda loved them for it.

Never played MDK, but MDK 2 on the Dreamcast was my poo poo.

I LOVED MDK2 so much. I played it on the Dreamcast and had picked it up because I remembered MDK being so great when a friend of mine had shown it to me. Shwang Shwing, weird Edmonton (being proudly :canada:ian), the radioactive toaster, a six-legged, cigar-chomping dog, the soundtrack with the last track of Kurt and Dr Hawkins talking about how the game is over. Paraphrasing, but...

Dr. "The game is over."
Kurt "Yes, if there's one thing it is... it's certainly over."

Dr. "You just spent $60 on a game that ended 5 minutes ago."

Dr. "Kurt!"
Kurt "What?"
Dr. "It's over."
Kurt "Yes. Yes it is."

Continue this about 4-5 more times.

loving yes MDK2 :allears:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
My dad used to describe the graphics in MDK as "wicked"

His favorite level was a really early one with that pendulum ball and the miniboss who leaps all over the arena.

Goddamn that level owned.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
All the levels owned pretty much.

A few other excellent games I've played over the years that'd fit nicely into an Early Third-Person Shooter Megathread:

- Tomb Raider
- Oni
- Giants: Citizen Kabuto
- Max Payne

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
MDK, holy poo poo I forgot about that game. So good. And yeah, wicked is a fair phrase for it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

LEFT brain attack!

RIGHT brain attack!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
This post is in the wrong thread. :shobon:

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 9, 2017

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I just learnt that Nick Bruty was the designer for both MDK and Giants: Citizen Kabuto, which would explain why they're both amazing and have a similar feel.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Convex posted:

I'm still kinda sad we never got a Keen 3D from id. Apparently Tom Hall was pretty bummed out about it as well :(

In a parallel world somewhere, the Ratchet and Clank games all pretty much exactly the same but star Commander Keen as the main character.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Today I found a bunch of old Half-life mods stored away on a CD from the early/mid 2000's. Back when I was fully into Modding for it and Doom.

Project Quantum Leap, They Hunger, Issues, USS Darkstar, Poke646, Deliverance, and a few others. Reminded me I had tons more lurking somewhere, plenty of garbage, plenty of good.

Like if you haven't played Something Else I highly recommend it. Brings back good memories.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
While we're on the topic of MDK, here's a cool video by DigitalFoundry analysing the game's weird tech, and its even weirder PS1 version (made by a pre-skateboarding Neversoft!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LbIJdGNQfA

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Oh hey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IpArsMcs3o

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I LOVED MDK2 so much. I played it on the Dreamcast and had picked it up because I remembered MDK being so great when a friend of mine had shown it to me. Shwang Shwing, weird Edmonton (being proudly :canada:ian), the radioactive toaster, a six-legged, cigar-chomping dog, the soundtrack with the last track of Kurt and Dr Hawkins talking about how the game is over. Paraphrasing, but...

Dr. "The game is over."
Kurt "Yes, if there's one thing it is... it's certainly over."

Dr. "You just spent $60 on a game that ended 5 minutes ago."

Dr. "Kurt!"
Kurt "What?"
Dr. "It's over."
Kurt "Yes. Yes it is."

Continue this about 4-5 more times.

loving yes MDK2 :allears:

As with most things, my memory was hazy on this, but here you go. Last track on the disc, played at the end of the credits:

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=9wY6EOrYm7g

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObU__s-R9ro

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Dang why didn't they just revamp the Huntress model from Q3, or basically everyone from Q3 if they're going the ability hero route, there's a lot of material there.

And they'd cash in on nostalgia

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Heads up, Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena is being pulled from GOG at 15:00 UTC+1 today.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Heads up, Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena is being pulled from GOG at 15:00 UTC+1 today.

That's a shame. Riddick is definitely worth playing and Dark Athena is as close to a definitive edition as we'll ever get. Not exactly retro but I'd recommend it to anyone who likes a bit of stealth in their fps.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, so while I think it's just because of the music omitted from the game, this was interesting.

From Steam, the following are install sizes:

Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition - ~450MB
Duke Nukem 3D: ~980MB
Quake: 55MB

:eyepop:

I would have expected them to be somewhat similar, or at the very least, for the Megaton edition to be bigger than vanilla Duke3D, so this is nuts.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, so while I think it's just because of the music omitted from the game, this was interesting.

From Steam, the following are install sizes:

Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition - ~450MB
Duke Nukem 3D: ~980MB
Quake: 55MB

:eyepop:

I would have expected them to be somewhat similar, or at the very least, for the Megaton edition to be bigger than vanilla Duke3D, so this is nuts.

Vanilla Duke3D is only that big because it's downloading the 3D Realms Anthology soundtrack as well. So take about 850mb off that for the real size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I thought steam only had Megeton? Is there a separate Duke 3D installation besides world tour?

Also where the hell is Duke II?