Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm considering a Google Home mainly for that! (and music)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Google Home is a correct purchase. I enjoy yelling at it from the bathroom to turn up my heat (wifi thermostat sold separately).

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nimper posted:

Google Home is a correct purchase. I enjoy yelling at it from the bathroom to turn up my heat (wifi thermostat sold separately).

I like mine, but I wish my kid would stop telling to play Everything is Awesome.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Lol, I love mine as well for the morning news, music while I get ready, and other tidbits. Don't have the smarthome stuff yet but by the time I do I feel the Home will either be a lot better for it, or completely abandoned and dead to not matter.

As for Tablet with HDMI, the Shield Tablet K1 also has Mini HDMI out so if you want to stay Android that is a cheap way to do it as well and have the portable Table/TV option.

Also Front Facing speakers on a Tablet should be the default standard for Tablet Netflix watching.

Also Woo! Got Fixed my Tegra Note (again). The battery somehow got so run down that it wouldn't charge through the pad soldered to the little circuit board, so I wired it directly to the battery leads and got it to charge up to about 20% successfully, wired it back to the circuit board (The pad has some charging management circuits in it, but I don't trust it where the Circuit Board on the Tegra Note allows it to look like it's charging via AC and the OS sees that it's charging) and it worked like normal again. :woop:

The thing has a WiFi bug that randomly will hit it and drain the battery much faster than it can charge even though it has what appears to be a connection, data will not pass through. Only one of a handful of glitches but they are minor on the last KK 4.4.4 update vs the buggy as hell 5.1 update that never got the bugfix update that made it work great on the Shield Portable.

Luckily the Shield Tablet is still getting Nvidia updates and looks like it might continue as they keep selling new ones and the market really doesn't have a good replacement for $199.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

How does Google's assistant thing work compared to Cortana? The desktop <> app connection with Cortana is pretty rad

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Is anyone else getting duplicated text when they use google's speech-to-text (like in a text or email, not in the search bar)? My boss is freaking out because this is happening so I tried it on mine. Lo and behold, mine is doing it too. As far as I can tell, it seems to be a Google issue with how they're auto-correcting speech in the cloud. Or maybe an update to the google app did it?

I'm curious how widespread this is. I'm on Verizon with a Droid Maxx 2; boss has a Droid Turbo 2.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
So now that I have Assistant, is there still a way to quick-share a screenshot? Holding down the home button and hitting the share button was a feature I used constantly. It was nice that it wouldn't save the screenshots.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Thermopyle posted:

This prompted me to contact Google. My wife's Pixel XL won't be here until April 4th-6th. Was yours an XL? I'm pretty sure I remember telling you that I ordered mine 2 weeks before you.

Anyway, my real point in posting was to share this delightful chat exchange with Gary G on the Google Store chat: (redacted)

Thanks Gary G!

Yeah mine is a Pixel XL, as well. Looks like we're in the same boat in poo poo's creek without a paddle. Gary G da Real MVP.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

So now that I have Assistant, is there still a way to quick-share a screenshot? Holding down the home button and hitting the share button was a feature I used constantly. It was nice that it wouldn't save the screenshots.

Keep scrolling up after you launch assistant. All of the old stuff is under there.

(Note, doesn't work on home screen but will work in app.)

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Keep scrolling up after you launch assistant. All of the old stuff is under there.

(Note, doesn't work on home screen but will work in app.)

Works for me, but I'm using Action Launcher, so that might well have something to do with it. It didn't work in Chrome Beta for a long time, but I just tested it and it seems to work now, so that's cool.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

wa27 posted:

Is anyone else getting duplicated text when they use google's speech-to-text (like in a text or email, not in the search bar)? My boss is freaking out because this is happening so I tried it on mine. Lo and behold, mine is doing it too. As far as I can tell, it seems to be a Google issue with how they're auto-correcting speech in the cloud. Or maybe an update to the google app did it?

I'm curious how widespread this is. I'm on Verizon with a Droid Maxx 2; boss has a Droid Turbo 2.

Happened to me too and I saw someone mention it on XDA as well. Dunno if it was an update or just backend issue that's causing it but it's a thing

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

When I was travelling around India, HDMI out on my phone let me watch Muppets Christmas Carol and a bunch of other festive movies on Christmas day on the nice big TV in the hotel. HDMI out is great for travelers, Chromecasts not so much. I guess you can get small Android TV boxes and load it with stuff but that's still carrying another device. Well it doesn't matter, it's only a fringe case but it's nice to have.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've used a chromecast and a wifi travel router to get around portals to good effect, but you do have to be able to access an hdmi port.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
If you don't have access to an HDMI port, then you don't really have any options for streaming to the TV anyway. At that point you're just stuck watching stuff on your phone/tablet.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lol if you can't just watch cnn all day like a normal tourist

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

vyst posted:

Lol if you can't just watch cnn all day like a normal tourist

where is this magical place where olds aren't watching fox news?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Echoing other posters, Google Home is great but it really, really needs to be able to do multiple Google accounts. It's perfect if you're going to live and die alone far from the touch of another human where you and your disembodied robot voice can while away your days just like the engineers who designed it, but if you have some crazy edge case where there's another adult who can stand living in the same house as you who also fancies themselves to be person with their own identity, well, sorry, that simply wasn't considered. They'll just have to accept that their day is your day. Their calendar and obligations don't exist and don't matter. Traffic on their way to work is meaningless, much like their original name, which has now been replaced with your name.

All of that said, it's pretty great if you're into diminishing your significant other's contributions to the household.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

That deficiency is so google.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you don't have access to an HDMI port, then you don't really have any options for streaming to the TV anyway. At that point you're just stuck watching stuff on your phone/tablet.

I got one of these for when we go on vacation and the place only has an older TV (1080P HDMI to AV 3RCA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L8P11LC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_AkpWyb1G83BFA).
I plug my Roku stick into it and plug the RCA cables into the TV. I can tether the Roku stick from my phone's hotspot or over the hotel wifi. I can control the stick with the Roku app on my phone, or the remote that comes with it, but I have not tried to use the Roku app on my phone when I'm using the hotspot from my phone.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfCfTYZJWtI

Ola fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 9, 2017

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

WhyteRyce posted:

Goons: :lol: no one watches media while away from their home

Goons can only speculate about being away from home

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

That deficiency is so google.

The weird thing to me was how Assistant had a few different features on Pixel compared to Home

Also, why can't Google assistant listen and tell me what song is playing? Why do I have to ask via the Google search app instead?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

WhyteRyce posted:

The weird thing to me was how Assistant had a few different features on Pixel compared to Home

Also, why can't Google assistant tell me what song is playing? Why do I have to ask via the Google search app instead?

You can do it via the Google Home app too.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Any way of speeding up the process of getting Assistant? Does being in the Play Services beta help, or hinder? Or neither?

e: Nexus 6P on latest non-beta Android in the UK, if it makes any difference.

chippy fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 9, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Goons: :lol: no one watches media while away from their home
Doubly weird given the number of people constantly talking about "consuming content" on their phones

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

http://www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-microphone-issues-755556/

So, there's a potential microphone issue with the Pixel related to a weak solder joint. I wonder if this is what's been constraining supply. Google has said all devices since January have reinforced joints at the failure point.

I just wonder how prevalent this is and are all devices in the first few months susceptible.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Anecdata and possibly just a coincidence making it seem more common, but when I eventually got out to replace my.XL it was because the dead speaker had 'spread' to a dead mic. The guy in the store told me he'd had another pixel come back that same day with a dead mic. It's a national chain (jbhifi) and they have several stores within a few km so it's not like everyone had to go the same place either.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

sleepwalkers posted:

is there a reason I can't find a messaging app that'll expand in-line links like iOS does?

You want a messaging app that will "unfurl" links. Facebook messenger can do this and handle your SMS/MMS if you give it permission. Don't even need FB account to use it.

Slack does this too, but doesn't do SMS. Doesn't Allo do this?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Allo doesn't do anything (useful.)

It's been getting like new sticker packs every other week though!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Can you even gett MMS messages through Allo?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Can you even gett MMS messages through Allo?

Nope, nor regular SMS. It's poo poo.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

chippy posted:

Any way of speeding up the process of getting Assistant? Does being in the Play Services beta help, or hinder? Or neither?

e: Nexus 6P on latest non-beta Android in the UK, if it makes any difference.

Check for an update to the Google app? (maybe wipe the app data for it to see if its first launch downloads the necessary bits too).

or

Try Pure Nexus. It's based off the stock Google images and makes your 6P into a spitting image of a Pixel XL (minus the 821GPU and unlimited Picture uploads at full res)

It has a few features added for QOL but not the super bloat of usual custom roms. And the updates have more bugs fixed on top of the stock Google release each month.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

How do new messaging apps pick up steam? It seems like there are a ton of new ones every freaking month, but outside of SMS, WhatsApp, and things like Hangouts/Skype/FaceBook Messenger, how the heck do you get people to switch to your all exclusive messaging app? Message them first in some other app and say, "Hey install this app so we can continue this conversation in the same way, differently" or something?

I know Allo seems to add some nifty features, but why the hell couldn't they just cook it into the stock SMS app since even that is getting more smart features added?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Isn't allo supposed to be rcs

E: like some of the stuff it's meant to do can't be done using SMS or MMS

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Blue Train posted:

No.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I think for widespread adoption​, like iMessage, it has to be as user friendly and seamless as possible. Basically everything that Google isn't doing.

Blue Train posted:

E: like some of the stuff it's meant to do can't be done using SMS or MMS

Regular Android Messages is the RCS app.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

bull3964 posted:

http://www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-microphone-issues-755556/

So, there's a potential microphone issue with the Pixel related to a weak solder joint. I wonder if this is what's been constraining supply. Google has said all devices since January have reinforced joints at the failure point.

I just wonder how prevalent this is and are all devices in the first few months susceptible.

That is almost certainly what happened to my phone. Refurb replacement from Google should be here tomorrow. Here's to hoping it will work and be in good condition.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's so weird, too, because it works with SMS via short codes, so someone clearly thought it'd be useful to have the ability to communicate with people who aren't using Allo.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Regular Android Messages is the RCS app.

Ah ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Is there a way to get a Google now card that will show updates on my Amazon orders? Just switched from an iPhone and I miss having the Amazon widget thing that showed me my order statuses.